Quantcast

Photo

If you could legalize 1 illegal thing what would it be?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#26 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

I would make inside trading legal and make wearing running shoes with jeans or anything with cargo pants illegal.

#27 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

I would make inside trading legal and make wearing running shoes with jeans or anything with cargo pants illegal.

If inside trading were legal that would be absolute bedlam.

#28 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Agreed on the second part, wholeheartedly.

#29 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

I've raised my cat to believe that he is the superior being.

Don't kid yourself. Your cat raised you to believe he was the superior being. He just lets you think it's the other way around.

#30 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

I keep thinking you can't be anymore of a WASP... and then I'm wrong.

#31 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

I keep thinking you can't be anymore of a WASP... and then I'm wrong.

You'll continue being wrong, most likely. However, I'm Italian and Catholic. So, not technically a WASP

#32 willy101

willy101
  • 337 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

legalizing amphetamines, seriously i shouldnt need a prescription to get these

#33 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Need a prescription =/= illegal

#34 Mishatu

Mishatu
  • 346 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

If you need a prescription for something, it's usually either addictive or people are too stupid to understand how/when to take it. Or both.

#35 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

Strong relation to your recent IB job :p

Nose candy.

#36 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

Need a prescription =/= illegal

Since you're feeling the need to be nitpicky and objectionable, let's revisit your previous comment.

So every meat eating animal should be prosecuted?

Why would you draw that conclusion? When has any animal ever been prosecuted for anything? When have the laws of man ever applied to the actions of animals? When someone suggested criminalizing assault rifles, you didn't immediately jump to "so we should take away the army's guns too?" although I half expected it.

You're being deliberately obtuse as usual. I hope you get off on it, because you're only lowering yourself in others' eyes.

#37 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Since you're feeling the need to be nitpicky and objectionable, let's revisit your previous comment.
Why would you draw that conclusion? When has any animal ever been prosecuted for anything? When have the laws of man ever applied to the actions of animals? When someone suggested criminalizing assault rifles, you didn't immediately jump to "so we should take away the army's guns too?" although I half expected it.

You're being deliberately obtuse as usual. I hope you get off on it, because you're only lowering yourself in others' eyes.

Oh red red red...
You're the one being obtuse here.
Rachelsaurus clearly said:

I'd make any kind of speciesism illegal.

Which would mean that the same laws should apply both to all species equally.
Regarding the army, different laws apply to them so saying that would be silly.

#38 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

Which would mean that the same laws should apply both to all species equally.

...No, it really wouldn't. No law applies to any species besides the human species. Law is one of the things which separates humans from every other species on the planet. We're exceptional in this case, and it's taken as a given in every instance. Excepting this discussion, apparently.

#39 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

...No, it really wouldn't. No law applies to any species besides the human species. Law is one of the things which separates humans from every other species on the planet. We're exceptional in this case, and it's taken as a given in every instance. Excepting this discussion, apparently.

But the thing she'd change was to make law apply to animals. Seriously, it's like you're really bad at reading...

#40 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

Yeah ok then, but I'm sorry, I won't explain

BRILLIANT CHEERS FOR YOUR FUCKING WONDERFUL INSIGHT.

#41 JillianMarie

JillianMarie
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

I love my extensions ): My hair when it's long naturally is too time consuming. Though I suppose I have worn non clip ins, but they are also very time consuming which is why I traded those methods in for clip ins.

Anyway, I'm not sure what I would make legal but, I think I would make reproducing if you have below a certain IQ illegal. I actually have a ton of things I want to make illegal. I wouldn't mind making polygamy legal. Also would like any kind of job in the sex industry(including prostitution) legal, and drugs with restrictions legal. Of course equal marriage rights, though perhaps that goes with the polygamy things. Idk... I have about 5 things I want legal, but SO many things I want illegal. This is a hard question to answer.

#42 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

When has any animal ever been prosecuted for anything? When have the laws of man ever applied to the actions of animals?

Pitbulls and Bulldogs, to answer your question directly. Both species have been prosecuted, even when innocent, of being vicious and put down (prosecuted) for actions any other dog species is capable of performing. If a Pitbull or a Bulldog kills another dog it is put down 29 out of 30 times, a law of man in a sense.

#43 Demothesis

Demothesis
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

I dont know if this has been brought up, but I would leaglize and regulate prostitution. I think with regulation, it would be a lot safer for both persons. If a person is willing to give services, and another person is willing to pay, what is the issue?

#44 Georgina

Georgina
  • 2216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

I would legalize voluntary euthanasia. Obviously again not in a cut and dry manner but with regulation etc.

If I were to make something illegal it would any form of animal cruelty. I'm aware there are some laws in place already but It seems not enough is being done to deter people,

#45 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Make freaking drugs tests mandatory for any and all forms of welfare would be my first move.
If you do nothing but abuse drugs all day, you sure as hell won't get your rent paid, food stamps AND a couple hundred bucks a week from the government.

Of course we would have to revise the laws that dictate what is and what isn't an illegal substance.

That or make hummers and SUVs (obnoxiously large vehicles in general) illegal unless you can prove you need them for work. They are unnecessary for everyday commutes.

I can't think of legalizing anything that hasn't already been mentioned though....perhaps granting government assistance to illegal students that have been in the US for more then 90% of their lives (if verifiable of course) in order to pursue a college education. I've seen too many friends not go to college because of their residential status in this country.

Edit: Errors D:

Edited by Ivysaur, 24 January 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#46 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

Polygamy is legal here, I think. It's a religious thing; Muslims are allowed to. I don't think anyone else is though.

#47 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

That or make hummers and SUVs (obnoxiously large vehicles in general) illegal unless you can prove you need them for work. They are unnecessary for everyday commutes.

Why?

#48 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

Why?

Exaggerates the size of the carbon footprint left behind by that person for no good reason.
I understand if you need it to tow/carry/transport heavy objects but to drive to work and back?

Come on.

#49 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Make freaking drugs tests mandatory for any and all forms of welfare would be my first move.
If you do nothing but abuse drugs all day, you sure as hell won't get your rent paid, food stamps AND a couple hundred bucks a week from the government.

Of course we would have to revise the laws that dictate what is and what isn't an illegal substance.

I can't think of legalizing anything that hasn't already been mentioned though....perhaps granting government assistance to illegal students that have been in the US for more then 90% of their lives (if verifiable of course) in order to pursue a college education. I've seen too many friends not go to college because of their residential status in this country.

Edit: Errors D:

Ok where do we start. First off all, drugs testing welfare applicants has no actual benefit in saving money. I can see things from a moralistic point of view, I just don't share the idea of wasting money in the vain attempt in praising the uneducated masses.

http://ideas.time.co...even-worse-law/

Drug-testing laws are often touted as a way of saving tax dollars, but the facts are once again not quite as presented. Idaho recently commissioned a study of the likely financial impact of drug testing its welfare applicants. The study found that the costs were likely to exceed any money saved.

You'll also have to remember the vast majority of drug users work, since surprisingly drugs are expensive and cost money. If you're indicating that we change laws to make certain drugs legal for the pure fact that they may fall a drug test to claim benefit money, you may as well legalise them all. There is no point in legalising cannabis so welfare users can smoke weed if you're indirectly discriminating against users of MDMA, Ketamine, Khat, Steroids etc. From a moralistic point of view, they are as bad as one enough in this context.

I also don't see your point in illegalising hummers and SUVs. Yes, they cause more pollution and consume a lot of fuel and are not efficent, but so what? If someone makes their money through hard work and wants to splash it out on a hummer, it's their right. You claim pollution, but the vast majority of pollution comes from factories and cow farts.

http://www.articlecl...-Factories/3232

Factory related pollution is the number one source of pollution in the United States. Factory pollution accounts for more than half the volume of all water pollution, as well as for the most deadly of pollutants.

Cows emit a massive amount of methane through belching, with a lesser amount through flatulence. Statistics vary regarding how much methane the average dairy cow expels. Some experts say 100 liters to 200 liters a day (or about 26 gallons to about 53 gallons), while others say it's up to 500 liters (about 132 gallons) a day. In any case, that's a lot of methane, an amount comparable to the pollution produced by a car in a day.

http://science.howst...methane-cow.htm

In short, your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad.

#50 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Ok where do we start. First off all, drugs testing welfare applicants has no actual benefit in saving money. I can see things from a moralistic point of view, I just don't share the idea of wasting money in the vain attempt in praising the uneducated masses.

http://ideas.time.co...even-worse-law/

[/left][/size][/font][/color]

You'll also have to remember the vast majority of drug users work, since surprisingly drugs are expensive and cost money. If you're indicating that we change laws to make certain drugs legal for the pure fact that they may fall a drug test to claim benefit money, you may as well legalise them all. There is no point in legalising cannabis so welfare users can smoke weed if you're indirectly discriminating against users of MDMA, Ketamine, Khat, Steroids etc. From a moralistic point of view, they are as bad as one enough in this context.

Then this comes down to what drugs you consider "bad" from a moral point of view. I for one, do not equate recreational cannabis to the "recreational" usage of steroids, MDMA etc...
edit: Considering the fact that the negative effects that come about as a result of abusing substances do not measure to the effects of abusing others (Cocaine vs Cannabis).
I will concede however, that until a more cost-efficient method of testing for substance abuse comes about, it would be unwise to place such a law into effect.
I do not concede the the motives behind it though.

I also don't see your point in illegalising hummers and SUVs. Yes, they cause more pollution and consume a lot of fuel and are not efficent, but so what? If someone makes their money through hard work and wants to splash it out on a hummer, it's their right. You claim pollution, but the vast majority of pollution comes from factories and cow farts.

So..you think that any and all plausible methods of reducing our impact on the environment should not be taken regardless of the long-term effects of global warming?
SUVs and Hummers should be made illegal on the same grounds that cars are required to pass a smog test
Their emissions and fuel consumption are may not be as detrimental as the emissions of factories or cow farts but still merit regulation.

Just because you pay for something doesn't make it okay.

Edited by Ivysaur, 24 January 2013 - 12:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users