Photo

Smoking...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
71 replies to this topic

#1 ZERO

ZERO
  • 1661 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

So I work at Starbucks and there is a handful of regular customers that we get daily who come in and order a black coffee and just go outside and smoke a cigarette. Day after day this started to sound more appealing to me and it just sounded like a pretty classy thing to do right? Well I used to smoke back in high school very rarely and hadn't actually touched a cigarette in over a year, but the other day I caved and decided to try it and I have to admit, it was pretty nice - but maybe that was just because I decided that it was going to be awesome.

How do you guys feel about smoking? I mean for some people it's a "got to have it" kind of thing, but I think it's okay if it's an occasional thing..

#2 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

Hi Taylor. (or is it Tyler..shit)

I have a cigarette every like...8 months. It only happens when I'm insanely stressed.

Edited by Adam, 03 February 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#3 ZERO

ZERO
  • 1661 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

Hi Taylor. (or is it Tyler..shit)

I have a cigarette every like...8 months. It only happens when I'm insanely stressed.

Haha it's Tyler, but good memory either way :p

I guess I just don't understand what is so relieving about it.. I was moderately stressed last night, not from anything in particular just a good amount of stuff going on in life right now, and I just sat outside in the cold wet weather and enjoyed a cigarette and it was as if nothing really interfered with me being able to process my thoughts, not even the sound of traffic on the busy street feet from my patio. Maybe it's just a placebo kind of thing? I don't know. 

#4 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

I don't smoke. I'll do it socially every now and then when I'm drunk with friends but honestly nicotine does nothing for me. 

#5 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

There's nothing better than that smooth emphysema taste.

#6 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

I don't smoke. I never have and I never will. I find it to be a filthy habit. But that's just my personal belief on the issue. My philosophy is that if you have a vice, it's up to you on whether you want to continue. Smoking is special though because it doesn't just affect the smoker but also the people around them. I work in San Francisco and there are a lot of smokers here. While walking on the street to work I sometimes get caught behind a smoker with the wind blowing towards me. I'm now forced to breathe the smoker's smoke. I have a very difficult time breathing when cigarette smoke is around. My brother is asthmatic and has to carry a rescue inhaler with him wherever he goes specifically because of the reaction he gets when he is around cigarette smoke. I have certain tendencies towards that myself. I've trained myself to just not breathe for 30 seconds while I run past the smoker to get in front of them. If I stay breathing the cigarette smoke for too long, I feel like passing out. It's quite serious for me and I don't want to ruin my health.

If smoking was something people could do alone without involving anyone else, then I'm all for it. I don't care what someone else does with their body. However, because the cigarette smoke has to be exhaled and subsequently inhaled by someone else, I find it to be quite ride to smoke around someone who doesn't want to be around it. I think we've made quite a bit of progress on smoking in public and it's harmful effects. Sadly, there isn't much you can do on a city street.

#7 Goten

Goten
  • Saiyan

• 16 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

I don't smoke cigarette's, but I have tried it Once and personally I hated it. Though, everytime I smell that one certain cigar's scent I somewhat crave a joint but I never actually go for it. Marijuana on the other hand I do enjoy ocassionally. As for women who smoke in general I think it's a huge turnoff.

#8 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

I don't smoke cigarette's, but I have tried it Once and personally I hated it. Though, everytime I smell that one certain cigar's scent I somewhat crave a joint but I never actually go for it. Marijuana on the other hand I do enjoy ocassionally. As for women who smoke in general I think it's a huge turnoff.

My girlfriend and I always say "Why do the super cute ones smoke?"

On a strictly superficial level, it makes a 10 go down to a 6.

It's gross.

#9 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

It's gross.

Well SORRRRRRRY!

Lol on a serious note.
I have smoked about 10 cigarettes a day for the last 5 years and only recently quit.
I had to substitute it with nicotine gum (Thrive). My advice to you, as a smoker, is just don't start.
It's unhealthy, expensive, stinky and frankly it's not that satisfying after a while. Just don't bother because once you become addicted you're screwed.

#10 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

Well SORRRRRRRY!

You're a sweetheart though.

Still a 10 :p

#11 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

You're a sweetheart though.

Still a 10 :p

Yessss! <3
At least I finally quit too. I feel better already, it's insane how much energy smoking drains from your body.

#12 Nalah

Nalah
  • Can't hug every cat

• 555 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

I'm paranoid about getting sick/being in painful situations, so I don't smoke, and I never will. I guess its okay if people want to smoke, but I hate it, and like Hydrogen, I've learnt to hold my breath for about a minute. Expecially at work, when I work in a drive thru, its horrible, expecially if I ask them not to (because of health and safety laws) and they continue :/

#13 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Here is partially why I quit... just something to consider.

When you smoke addictively like I do/did, you feel like you NEED that cigarette. You crave it so badly it hurts. 
I would literally sit and cry sometimes because my body was craving it so badly. I'd be cruel and cranky to everyone around me.
No matter how much I'd tell myself mind over matter, I'd always cave in and smoke that cigarette because at the time my mind would convince me that my life depended on that smoke. It's a drug. I don't care who says it isn't. It's highly addictive physically and mentally. Without cigarettes I would get nauseated, irritable, and just miserable. It's just not worth it.

Edit: and just a reminder I do have one week in using an aid (Thrive) but I still want a smoke so badly. Well, my body wants one. 

Edited by Kate, 03 February 2013 - 03:41 PM.

#14 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

I picked it up when I went in as a conscript, and my packs felt luxurious on idle days and out in the field. Now it's more of a social event.

#15 krakus

krakus
  • 91 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

It looks cute and classy on occasion, but having lived and dealt with heavy smokers for a long time, I'm not a fan. Your fingers get stained yellow, your teeth look like shit, and you're SO ANNOYING when you're craving but not able to smoke.

Edited by krakus, 03 February 2013 - 05:10 PM.

#16 Goten

Goten
  • Saiyan

• 16 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

It's gross.

It's somewhat true tho' the cuties are usually smokers tsk.

As for your superficial comment, a six? It makes a ten go down to a zero. Harsh I know, but I just can't date a chick who smokes.

#17 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

As for your superficial comment, a six? It makes a ten go down to a zero. Harsh I know, but I just can't date a chick who smokes.

In terms of appearance I highly doubt smoking makes a 10 go down to a 0.
Personally the only physical indicator that I ever smoked is the yellowing of my index finger. Which is gone now.

It looks cute and classy on occasion, but having lived and dealt with heavy smokers for a long time, I'm not a fan. Your fingers get stained yellow, your teeth look like shit, and you're SO ANNOYING when you're craving but not able to smoke.

Which brings me to this. Yes it yellows your fingers. Yes we are annoying. But no, not everyone who smokes as bad teeth. That comes down to oral hygiene. 

#18 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

I dont have a problem with people who smoke, because I know it's not their fault if they have addictions and cigarette smoke doesn't bother me. But I do have a problem with people who throw their cigarette butts on the floor. That's disgusting and annoying.

#19 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

I wouldn't knock Emma Watson to a 0 if she smoked.

;)

#20 sprockets

sprockets
  • DonJonatino

• 759 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

Well SORRRRRRRY!

Lol on a serious note.
I have smoked about 10 cigarettes a day for the last 5 years and only recently quit.
I had to substitute it with nicotine gum (Thrive). My advice to you, as a smoker, is just don't start.
It's unhealthy, expensive, stinky and frankly it's not that satisfying after a while. Just don't bother because once you become addicted you're screwed.

Wait.. did you smoke when you were pregnant with your boys?

Personally, I've never smoked and never plan on it, even when I'm drunk at parties I refuse to, I remember when i used to hate visiting my own grandparents because they used to be heavy smokers.

#21 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

Wait.. did you smoke when you were pregnant with your boys?

Personally, I've never smoked and never plan on it, even when I'm drunk at parties I refuse to, I remember when i used to hate visiting my own grandparents because they used to be heavy smokers.

I'm sorry do I know you? That's a bit personal.

But, no I didn't I quit during pregnancy and began again immediately after. 
It was much easier to not smoke when I knew I could just start again in a few months.

#22 Goten

Goten
  • Saiyan

• 16 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:43 AM

In terms of appearance I highly doubt smoking makes a 10 go down to a 0.
Personally the only physical indicator that I ever smoked is the yellowing of my index finger. Which is gone now.

Appearance wise of course not, that's just me exaggerating the scale and being highly superficial.
My point was any woman who smokes is no longer datable for me atleast, but yes that doesn't bring their appearance down to a zero physically. Tho' my thoughts on her do change. Can't blame anyone who smokes. Many have tried it out of curiosity and some because of peer pressure. I know for damn sure almost everyone who is hooked wants to give it up.

I wouldn't knock Emma Watson to a 0 if she smoked.
;)

Just like how Ariana Grande would still be bomb even if she smoked. ;)

Forgot to add one more thing.
On the contrary, those who do overcome the bad habbit I am proud and are an exception to date, if they're done deal with smoking.

Edited by Goten, 04 February 2013 - 01:53 AM.

#23 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:26 AM

It was much easier to not smoke when I knew I could just start again in a few months.

True. I quit this year for a few weeks, and like a filthy enabler, my mother bought a pack. So I smoked one last Saturday. And it was like smoking for the first time. I felt like I was fuckin' 17 again. Then I felt so guilty and my mom shrugged and said, "Having one here and there isn't something to be ashamed of when you were smoking 5 a day before," I guess.

After smoking every day for the past 10 years, it was refreshing to have that NEW feeling again. I think that's what ZERO experienced. So now I think if I quit for a few weeks and then have one every now and then, it will feel better than even smoking in the first place. The cigarette I have after Lent is over is going to be fantastic.

I find people who drive around with loud music and their thumping bass to be more harmful to me while walking down the street than some hobo having a smoke. 

#24 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:44 AM

I know of people who can't stop smoking and they all tell you "don't start smoking". :p

It's all about the surroundings you're in. My parents and my friends don't smoke, so I never started and never tried. Could have been different if there was peer pressure involved.

#25 ZERO

ZERO
  • 1661 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Well the thought of becoming addicted to smoking kind of scares me, I've had many people in my family who have been addicted to smoking and even lead one person to their death. But there was something about that one cigarette I had whether it was just the thought that I was doing something rebellious and out of the ordinary from what I would usually do (as I've always thought of cigarettes as a form of "rebellion") or it was just simply nostalgic and brought me back to my high school days when times were much simpler. I know that if the price that I paid for this one pack I bought is the usual price, then that is a HUGE deterrent for me to become addicted, but at this point I can't say I really see much wrong with having one or two on a very rare occasion. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users