• This topic is locked This topic is locked
71 replies to this topic

#26 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

No one smokes in my household, but many of my relatives smoke heavily (smoking is really mainstream in Hong Kong) and I always hated the smell. It's also extremely expensive; I could never afford to smoke half a pack a day! I never understood the appeal to start. I honestly am more prejudiced to people who smoke cigarettes than people who smoke pot. I see very little satisfaction with smoking cigarettes. For pot, to each their own, but it just sounds like an expensive, smelly and life-shortening habit on the extremely addictive substance.

Also, people who smoke had to get extra smoke breaks that I didn't get, and it annoyed me >:(

Also at -50C weather, I could never be outside for 5 minutes just so I could smoke. Sounds awful.

#27 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

The most annoying thing about smoking is non-smokers moaning about smokers. 

#28 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

It's fortunate that smokers won't be able to hear all that moaning from outside the pub then.

#29 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

If you can find a way to do what you do without harming other people, more power to you. I have no problem with alcoholics destroying their liver over the course of their lives. But the moment that a drunk driver causes injury to someone else, we have a problem. Similarly, the moment I inhale second-hand or third-hand smoke, we have a problem.

I couldn't care less about someone else paying a large corporation to kill them.

#30 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

I'd be really happy if you smoked.

#31 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

Sorry that we don't really appreciate breathing in that nasty smelling shit and start gagging or whatever just from being around smoke :p

(Also dang it really isn't fun waking up early in the morning then waiting for the 7am bus and being around a bunch of kids smoking weed and cigarettes! Surely they could just.... do it before leaving the house or somewhere which isn't where a load of people are standing)

#32 Dazz

Dazz
  • Musicyclopedia

• 3242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

I'd be really happy if you drank alcohol heavily.

#33 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

I'd be really happy if you drank alcohol heavily.

Nope. I hardly ever drink alcohol.

#34 ZERO

ZERO
  • 1661 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Drinking alcohol heavily sounds like a wonderful alternative to smoking to me. :D

#35 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

Drinking alcohol heavily sounds like a wonderful alternative to smoking to me. :D

I think it might be healthier too, in comparison :p.

#36 ZERO

ZERO
  • 1661 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

You know what they say... A glass bottle of wine a day can help reduce the risk of heart disease. 

#37 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

You know what they say... A glass bottle of wine a day can help reduce the risk of heart disease.

my-doctor-said-said-only-one-glass-per-d

#38 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

They recently turned the campus I work at to a non-smoking campus. Dumbest decision ever. Now instead of just finding cigarette butts in designated smoking areas they're fucking everywhere.

#39 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

Boggart, on 04 Feb 2013 - 13:33, said:
I honestly am more prejudiced to people who smoke cigarettes than people who smoke pot. I see very little satisfaction with smoking cigarettes. For pot, to each their own, but it just sounds like an expensive, smelly and life-shortening habit on the extremely addictive substance.

Also, people who smoke had to get extra smoke breaks that I didn't get, and it annoyed me > :(

Not sure if that last sentence (first paragraph) was directed at pot smokers, but if it wasn't ignore the following.

Pot is expensive because it's illegal, not because of any inherent expense to manufacture. It's only smelly if you're smoking cheap shit, and it's only life-shortening if you smoke it. There are plenty of methods of ingestion that don't involve smoking, including, but not limited to vaporization, baked goods and teas. Pot also isn't that addictive. Less addictive than caffeine, according to a study I posted in the Debate section.

I know labor laws vary by region, but no place I've ever worked at gave more breaks to smokers. We had to smoke on our mandatory 15 per 4 hours scheduled.

I actually just had a conversation with a (soon-to-be) coworker about quitting smoking (cigarettes) via nicotine vaporizers. He said around 30 people he knows (including him) have quit smoking in favor of what are commonly called e-cigarettes here. There isn't much research out there on these devices yet, but they appear to be fairly carcinogen free, they're completely tar free, and don't actually involve lighting something on fire and inhaling.

Food for thought.

Hydrogen, on 04 Feb 2013 - 17:22, said:

That's intensely debatable.

ZERO, on 04 Feb 2013 - 17:33, said:
You know what they say... A glass bottle of wine a day can help reduce the risk of heart disease.

The same benefits can be found in a glass of grape juice, actually. That's been debunked.

#40 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:59 AM

If you can find a way to do what you do without harming other people, more power to you. I have no problem with alcoholics destroying their liver over the course of their lives. But the moment that a drunk driver causes injury to someone else, we have a problem. Similarly, the moment I inhale second-hand or third-hand smoke, we have a problem.

I couldn't care less about someone else paying a large corporation to kill them.

Have you ever drove/rode a car or some kind of transport when it was possible to work? Do you ever use a product that is somehow not necessary? If so, you are a hypocrite. What cause more pollution, causes smog and creates an outset for asthmatic problems, pollution, or smokers?

Besides, it seems as all you're doing is jumping behind smokers with your mouth open. I really suggest if you're that allergic to cigarette smoke, avoid people smoking.

I'd be really happy if your mother swallowed instead of fingering herself afterwards, but hey, now we have you to deal with.

Sorry that we don't really appreciate breathing in that nasty smelling shit and start gagging or whatever just from being around smoke :p

I don't appreciate the smell of most perfumes, aftershaves and deodorants. Should we ban them or stigmatise people who use them?

You have absolutely no idea, do you?

#41 ZERO

ZERO
  • 1661 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:12 AM

They recently turned the campus I work at to a non-smoking campus. Dumbest decision ever. Now instead of just finding cigarette butts in designated smoking areas they're fucking everywhere.

They were possibly involved in all of this even before the ban on smoking - everyone was just too busy smoking to notice. ;)

#42 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:35 AM

I don't appreciate the smell of most perfumes, aftershaves and deodorants. Should we ban them or stigmatise people who use them?

All I'm thinking of right now is when is high school after PE all those kids would spray like 50 cans of Tesco's own deodorant in the changing room and..... yeah actually that doesn't sound too bad lmfao

But I'm not trying to say that they should be full-on banned it's just..... taking other people into consideration before you do your thing does more good than harm, you know? If you're in a large crowd, you never know, someone in that might have breathing difficulties! Giving them a big "fuck you I'm going to smoke two packs of cigarettes right here right now oh you're coughing and it looks like you're having a hard time I'm going to come and stand next to you" doesn't make you one of those super cool badasses or whatever hahaha

But wow why should I have a say in something I don't participate in but have to be around ~* ┐('~`; )┌

Edited by Turnip, 05 February 2013 - 06:37 AM.

#43 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:45 AM

There are numerous places here in Canada that are "scent-free" environments. 

#44 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

I'd be really happy if your mother swallowed instead of fingering herself afterwards, but hey, now we have you to deal with.

The story of your conception scares me.

#45 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

I've been a smoker pretty much solid since I was about 16, I may have been 15 when I started smoking regularly though. Where we live it is rather rural and I can smoke without bothering anyone by it at all. In fact... there's so much space here that you'd have to go way out of your way to get in my smoke.

The funny thing is that I'll go way out of my way to avoid blowing smoke on people if I can help it. Whether it's coworkers who don't smoke that are, for some reason, in the designated smoking section for break or people standing in front of a grocery store. I'm conscious of where I blow my smoke.

That being said I would really like to quit smoking, I find it annoying going and smoking not to mention the financial drain. My smoking has been cut back tremendously these last few months but I can't quit cold turkey cause I already get cranky with the girls when I go too long without one. So I'm slowly weaning myself off of them without making everyone around me put up with me getting mean.

#46 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

There are numerous places here in Canada that are "scent-free" environments. 

That's the stupidest idea I've ever heard.

The story of your conception scares me.

Brilliant.

#47 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

Brilliant.

Right! I forgot!

It was behind the a bar with 3 or 4 guys calling themselves "Talent Scouts" right? I wanted to spare you.

#48 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

They were possibly involved in all of this even before the ban on smoking - everyone was just too busy smoking to notice. ;)

It's way different than it used to be, way dirtier. When we had designated smoking areas people would put them out in cigarette receptacles that were all over, now they're gone and the butts are all over.

#49 KingHeisenberg

KingHeisenberg
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

I don't really dislike smokers, but if I am walking and walk past a smoker, I hold my breath, because I have chronic asthma.

#50 Silver

Silver
  • poppycock.

• 1041 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

I can't say I'd ever support someone starting (since it's been so difficult for me to try and quit), but do as you like.

That said, if I could time travel to when I had my first cig and B-slap myslef, I would.

On the other hand, I've met quite a few cool people because of smoking, and at least one wicked good friend.. so... toss up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users