• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#51 sprockets

sprockets
  • DonJonatino

• 759 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

I used to love Pokemon, I had red, gold, and platinum as well as a Monster Brain, people used to be like wtf? How'd you get a Charizard with Razor Leaf.

Heard B/W 2 are pretty decent but don't have a DS to give either a try

Edited by sprockets, 03 March 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#52 shinylopunny

shinylopunny
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

i've played every game in the history of pokemon but i have to admit that pokemon gold and silver were my favs because that's when they brought shinys in to play  :D

#53 Mikali

Mikali
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

I never got to play cause my brother wouldn't lend me his Gameboy :(  And I finally heard the whole Pokemon song for the first time today!  It was kinda weird when it went on past the first bit, since I was so used to hearing the short version when I watched the cartoon 

#54 Archer

Archer
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

Red/Blue + Gold/Silver and remakes are the only good pokemon games. The rest are just weird with stupid looking pokemon. I play on PokeMMO from trime to time when I feel bored.

#55 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

Red/Blue + Gold/Silver and remakes are the only good pokemon games. The rest are just weird with stupid looking pokemon. I play on PokeMMO from trime to time when I feel bored.

Nope.
Best gen was 5th when they introduced DW abilities and made 1st and 2nd gen pokemon relevant again.

#56 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

Nope.
Best gen was 5th when they introduced DW abilities and made 1st and 2nd gen pokemon relevant again.

My Seaking has Thunder Rod.

Come at me, bro.

#57 Archer

Archer
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

Nope.

For you maybe but it's Red/Blue for me since it's more due to me liking them out of nostalgia not whether if the pokemon where viable.

#58 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

Red/Blue + Gold/Silver and remakes are the only good pokemon games. The rest are just weird with stupid looking pokemon.

I'm really upset that you think this! ALL of the gens have their design ups and downs, and the newer Pokemon add a lot of diversity to battling. Seeing the same 10 or so Pokemon in every single battle gets boring so quickly. Take off the nostalgia goggles, experiment with the newer Pokemon and gameplay changes/additions, and you'll quickly realise just how much you've missed out on :unsure: BW2 are the best games currently, and they're easy to emulate so you really have no excuse!

Also gosh, we should really do a Wifi battle tournament sometime! It would be so much fun ^^ <3 (except everyone knows my team already hahahah oops, oh well~)

Edited by Turnip, 10 March 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#59 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

My Seaking has Thunder Rod.

Come at me, bro.

It's a shame Seaking doesn't have higher Sp Attack :l

For you maybe but it's Red/Blue for me since it's more due to me liking them out of nostalgia not whether if the pokemon where viable.

Then you aren't really enjoying pokemon.

You are severely limiting your experience.

Also gosh, we should really do a Wifi battle tournament sometime! It would be so much fun ^^ <3 (except everyone knows my team already hahahah oops, oh well~)

You should totes get this and learn to battle competitively :p

#60 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

You should totes get this and learn to battle competitively  :p

Whatever happened to just playing for fun?

#61 Archer

Archer
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

Then you aren't really enjoying pokemon.

You are severely limiting your experience.

I don't think so. The game has evolved since I played it as kid and I accept that but it doesn't mean I will enjoy the new games because I liked the old ones. I guess growing up does that to people plus I think there are far too many better games out these days like LoL, WoW, CS etc for me actually sink time into the newers ones. However I shall try the new ones coming out because it's 3D.

#62 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

Whatever happened to just playing for fun?

Who said it isn't fun? :p

I don't think so. The game has evolved since I played it as kid and I accept that but it doesn't mean I will enjoy the new games because I liked the old ones. I guess growing up does that to people plus I think there are far too many better games out these days like LoL, WoW, CS etc for me actually sink time into the newers ones. However I shall try the new ones coming out because it's 3D.

Then you really can't say that 1st and 2nd gen are the best if you haven't played the others.

#63 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

I don't like running with mostly cookie cutter builds against a bunch of elitists.

#64 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

I don't like running with mostly cookie cutter builds against a bunch of elitists.

Then just avoid the Overused Tier.
I tend to alternate between OU, UU and NU.

#65 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

You should totes get this and learn to battle competitively  :p

I love battling competitively~ Totally gonna go to the VGC if it happens this year :p

.... *keeps forgetting battle simulators exist*

Please don't compare Pokemon to MMOs/FPS games, they're not even the same genre :V

#66 Archer

Archer
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

Then you really can't say that 1st and 2nd gen are the best if you haven't played the others.

I have played the others but I havent completed them due to lack of their appeal. Most off putting is the aesthetic sense of the newer games where the pokemon look like they were made up by 7 year olds. So yeah I can say 1st and 2nd gen are the best.

#67 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

I love battling competitively~ Totally gonna go to the VGC if it happens this year :p

Codex Poke-Tour? :3

I have played the others but I havent completed them due to lack of their appeal. Most off putting is the aesthetic sense of the newer games where the pokemon look like they were made up by 7 year olds. So yeah I can say 1st and 2nd gen are the best.

*sigh*

Choose the coolest

rbspr149.png gbc230.gif emesprani373.gif 445.png 612.gif

Edited by Ivysaur, 10 March 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#68 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

Codex Poke-Tour? :3

My Cinccino will take the gold.

#69 Archer

Archer
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

Please don't compare Pokemon to MMOs/FPS games, they're not even the same genre :V

Why not? Aren't they all games? Games =/= Fun. You talked about about them being fun and I talked about having "more" fun playing other games rather than new pokemon games. I'm not trying to be a dick but you two seem to have a complex about the newer games not being so well received as the earlier generations.

As for the pick a pokemon question I would still pick Dragonite. If you look at first generation there are hardly any bad looking ones compared to the newer generations.

#70 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

What are Mr. Mime and evolutions generally being the same Pokemon but bigger

You are aware that Pokemon designs aren't what make the games, right? Or graphics in general. Why do you care about them so much to the point that it's the only thing that would make you play the new games? Pokemon could work as a text-only game as ultimately the point of it is battling. Battling in gen 1/2 was very simple, and the amount of mechanical bugs and general broken things in RGBY was laughable, though this is probably due to lack of thorough playtesting (which, believe me, can completely ruin a game). Don't say "Focus Energy actually CUTTING your critical hit rate by 75%" or "OHKO moves' success rate depends on your speed" or "the special stat" are features and not legitimate issues.

Abilities add variety to battles, the physical/special move split and polished, working game mechanics are just too important to ignore, the sheer amount of moves, Pokemon, held items make you have to come up with a strategy and be more prepared for whatever you might encounter. Guess what? Those aren't in gen 1/2.

Why not? Aren't they all games? Games =/= Fun. You talked about about them being fun and I talked about having "more" fun playing other games rather than new pokemon games. I'm not trying to be a dick but you two seem to have a complex about the newer games not being so well received as the earlier generations.

As for the pick a pokemon question I would still pick Dragonite. If you look at first generation there are hardly any bad looking ones compared to the newer generations.

Let's compare Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 to Black Ops.

Also we do think highly of the older games, we're just not foolish enough to believe that they're actually better than the newer games and we realise there is more than Pokemon designs to the games :V Also the argument of "Pokemon from x gen look better than the rest" is entirely objective, there are plenty of poorly designed Pokemon from the first two generations.

Edited by Turnip, 10 March 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#71 Mishatu

Mishatu
  • 346 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

I would just like to say I love the animations for the new Pokemon games. It makes the Pokemon feel more like they're actual, breathing creatures.

Love for ALL the Pokemons!

#72 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

The only thing I can really complain about the newer games are the side games. They're just like... blah. In B/W2, I just smh at the movie studio. It's easy for me since I know a lot of battle strategies and I can solve them without looking at the hints most of the time, but the whole concept is boring. It's nice that it's educating many players of amazing tactics, but it's not thrilling like the Pokemon Contests in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. I was so pissed when they "improved" pokemon contests with the crap they shat in D/P/Pt. 

#73 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

We just need an actually good new Stadium-like game.

#74 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

We just need an actually good new Snap-like game.

Fixed.

#75 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

Fixed.

I'm out of rep T___T

Nope. Just nope.

gbc206.gif <--lol

gbc211.gif<--lol

gbc102.gif<--lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users