• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#126 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

I feel like this is only for some of the more extremely religious people though.  I have a model Catholic friend (goes to church every Sunday), and she dated a Japanese guy (Shinto religion).  I'm Catholic myself and I'm dating a Hindu guy.  

There's always extremes for every religion, and like a lot of people have stated above, as long as they're not shoving their religious beliefs in your face or trying to conform you, what's the harm in getting to know them better?

How do you date someone that thinks you're going to hell when you die? 
Even if they are not shoving their peen religion down your throat, doesn't that bother you at all?

#127 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

just go "when I'm with you, I'll always be in heaven~"

And then snu snu.

#128 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

breakers:

nice to everyone

Whaaat??

#129 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

Even if they are not shoving their peen religion down your throat, doesn't that bother you at all?

Why should it bother her? 
If you know it's not true, and the person isn't pushing it on them why should it even matter?
I believe in the death penalty and some people don't, if my partner didn't believe in the death penalty would I silently think we're wrong for each other? Nope. I wouldn't give a shit. 

#130 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

What's wrong with hell? You get 2 chill with Satan all day everyday and laugh at the silly people who are still living then get up to silly evil antics like making oatmeal and raisin cookies and saying they're chocolate chip!!!

#131 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

What's wrong with hell? You get 2 chill with Satan all day everyday and laugh at the silly people who are still living then get up to silly evil antics like making oatmeal and raisin cookies and saying they're chocolate chip!!!

:o :o :o !! 
That's just sick!

#132 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

then get up to silly evil antics like making oatmeal and raisin cookies and saying they're chocolate chip!!!

What in the world is wrong with you?

#133 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

Why should it bother her? 
If you know it's not true, and the person isn't pushing it on them why should it even matter?
I believe in the death penalty and some people don't, if my partner didn't believe in the death penalty would I silently think we're wrong for each other? Nope. I wouldn't give a shit. 

Someone who truly believes in their religion can't be equalized to whether or not someone believes in the death penalty. You don't pray to the Judicial System .

You make me sad Radish. That's taking it waaay too far.
You're crazy.

#134 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Someone who truly believes in their religion can't be equalized to whether or not someone believes in the death penalty. You don't pray to the Judicial System .

Ugh clearly you missed the fact that I was giving you an example. I wasn't saying religion and the death penalty are related.
I was showing you that in other scenarios not involving religion, people aren't so critical about each other's beliefs unless it directly affects them.

And you still haven't answered my question.. WHY should it bother her? 

Actually, it's probably best if we get this thread back on topic, I just noticed we're all off topic again, like we so often do.
This isn't about religion right? It's makers and breakers, and I suppose her preference is her preference even if some of us disagree.

So let's agree...to disagree.. and get back on topic. My bad ya'll.

#135 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

Ugh clearly you missed the fact that I was giving you an example. I wasn't saying religion and the death penalty are related.
I was showing you that in other scenarios not involving religion, people aren't so critical about each other's beliefs unless it directly affects them.

And you still haven't answered my question.. WHY should it bother her? 

Sorry. I must have misread your post.

To answer your question however: How am anyone supposed to be comfortable knowing that the person I'm supposed to trust and love with my heart and soul believes that I will suffer for all eternity just because I don't worship Mary mother of the trolls?

I don't know if I'd be okay establishing a lasting relationship with someone that genuinely and wholeheartedly carries that conviction.

#136 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

It would bother me if I was dating someone who was Pro-Life. That would make getting an abortion really awkward.

I'm dating an atheist. We get along fine because even if I told him he was going to hell, he wouldn't believe anyway. But I can understand why someone would find someone with strong religious belief to be a turn off. I've heard they only do it missionary stye, and that can get old fast.

#137 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

Sorry. I must have misread your post.

To answer your question however: How am anyone supposed to be comfortable knowing that the person I'm supposed to trust and love with my heart and soul believes that I will suffer for all eternity just because I don't worship Mary mother of the trolls?

I don't know if I'd be okay establishing a lasting relationship with someone that genuinely and wholeheartedly carries that conviction.

It all comes down to personal preference then :p I understand your point, but respectfully, I wouldn't have the same issues.
Everyone is different right? 

Buuuut back on topic now before everyone starts killing each other. lol Last time someone disagreed with someone in this thread we had to hide a bunch of posts and it wasn't pretty. 

Chances are you can argue til you're blue in the face, but you probably won't change the way she feels about it and she won't change the way we feel. Right? RIGHT?!!!

It would bother me if I was dating someone who was Pro-Life. That would make getting an abortion really awkward.

I'm dating an atheist. We get along fine because even if I told him he was going to hell, he wouldn't believe anyway. But I can understand why someone would find someone with strong religious belief to be a turn off. I've heard they only do it missionary stye, and that can get old fast.

Ew, only missionary? *goes to edit breakers*

#138 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

I think it's pretty ignorant to judge someone based on their beliefs :/
Unless they believe in kiddie diddling and shit.

I mean unless they're asking you to conform to their beliefs what's the praaaablaaaam?

Hmm..where do I start.

The Crusades

The Muslim conquests

The Reconquista

The Israel and Palestine Conflict

Condoning rape

So they sent twelve thousand warriors to Jabesh-gilead with orders to kill everyone there, including women and children.  "This is what you are to do," they said. "Completely destroy all the males and every woman who is not a virgin."  Among the residents of Jabesh-gilead they found four hundred young virgins who had never slept with a man, and they brought them to the camp at Shiloh in the land of Canaa

They are the ones who caused the plague to strike the LORD's people.  Now kill all the boys and all the women who have slept with a man.  Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves.

(Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father.  Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

(Deuteronomy 22:23-24 NAB)

If within the city a man comes upon a maiden who is betrothed, and has relations with her, you shall bring them both out of the gate of the city and there stone them to death: the girl because she did not cry out for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbors wife.

Condoning murder and actively encouraging the killing of children

Spoiler

The treatment, house arrest and subjected to humans rights abuse from the Catholic church onto Galileo Galilei.

http://en.wikipedia..../Galileo_affair

The hypocrisy from the Catholic church of pleading for charity and good will to mankind whilst having maintaining buildings that literally cost billions.

The oppression from the Catholic church which lasted for millennia of women and treating them as slaves (this can apply to all mainstream religions are women are purely subjected to abuse and human rights violation from the influence of religion)

The indirect killing of millions of Africans and the poor from the Catholic church's stance on condoms and contraception. They deliberately lied and stated that condoms caused disease.

http://en.wikipedia....Church_and_AIDS

Raping small children and getting the hierarchy to cover it up.

http://en.wikipedia....sex_abuse_cases

The acts of making Mother Theresa a saint who directly disallowed painkillers and any types of medication for suffers of leprosy and other painful diseases because it allowed them to get closer to god. She also was in all the whole AIDS/Condom debate.

http://en.wikipedia....f_Mother_Teresa

(That's enough about the Catholic church, but seeing as they are the major religion with over 1.2 billion followers, that's my reason to focus on them).

The persecution, rape, attempted genocide and general mistreatment of all homosexuals, bisexuals, trasgender and alike by most religions worldwide.

http://en.wikipedia....rs_and_religion

In 11 countries, being gay will get you killed. All of these countries are heavily influence by either Christian or Muslim culture. Various countries also whip, torture, imprison and exile people purely based on the fact they like a penis up the bum. Think about that for a second.

The indoctrination of children and not allowing them to think for themselves. I hope you enjoy taking your children to church and filling their heads with lies.

http://en.wikipedia....ion_of_children

Forcing children to get married and raping them (Hello Mohammed) who married a girl at 5 and raped her at 9 - Sahih al-Bukhari5:58:2345:58:2367:62:647:62:65,7:62:88Sahih Muslim8:33098:33108:331141:4915,Sunan Abu Dawood41:4917

Honour killings and stonings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoning

http://en.wikipedia..../Honor_killings

The mutilation of small children in respect to Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Unecessary, dangerous procedures which have no medical backing what so ever.

http://en.wikipedia....ital_mutilation

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Circumcision

The suppression of Science and the advancement of mankind 

Spoiler

The supression of arts and literatures.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Iconoclasm

Racism and it's influences on the early 20th century which eventually ended up with millions massacred and lives destroyed.

http://archive.adl.o...cked=4&item=kkk

http://www.godhatesf...o/aboutwbc.html

http://www.nytimes.c...hurch.html?_r=0

The treatment of animals in religion such as H'alal, Kosher and ritual slaughters. These methods are barbaric and are for no reason, other than to cause the animal pain. Animal abuse goes right under your very own nose, and you allow it, because it's "religion". Bravo.

This doesn't even touch on the contradictions, the ignorance of the common religious follower, nor the fact they are willing to blissfully believe in something, that has no evidence for it what so ever, and get offended by the thought of criticism.

So you can think it's ignorant to judge someone based on their beliefs, but, that is the single stupidest comment I have ever heard. Seriously. I don't mean to be rude, or blunt, so don't jump too quickly to report, etc..

A belief system, is what guides a person, what makes up a person and basically dictates on how a person is. If the bible guides you and gives you a moral guidance and system to work from, that is your basis of humanity and belief. This will basically describe who you are a person to the world. So of course, you will judge someone on that, just like you will judge someone for believing fox hunting is a right, or that Michael Jackson was the best much performer of all time. If you take belief system of the equation, you have little much to go on.

#139 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

But I can understand why someone would find someone with strong religious belief to be a turn off. I've heard they only do it missionary stye, and that can get old fast.

Sex in the missionary position with the lights off only for the purpose of procreation.

#140 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

WuZ3Ww6.jpg

#141 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

Spoiler

Although you make some great points, I still stand by my initial statement :)
I won't be further discussing the subject because I don't wanna be all hypocritical and what-not.
Though I do appreciate the effort you put into your reply, it's more than I can say for some others. 

#142 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

That's a bit harsh. :/ I think some people just want something to believe in, regardless of logic and reason. I wouldn't mind dating a religious person, so long as 1. they don't ask me to convert. 2. their values don't radically differ from mine and 3. they don't mind it if I'm not religious.

If only we all lived in a happy do dah land where everyone got on.

The atheists who consider themselves supremely superior to those who do believe in some kind of deity or belief system are the ones doing the most damage to the ideology of atheism.

I find you tend to make more friends when you are tolerant and respectful to everybody, regardless of race, religion, creed, body type, gender, sexuality, etc etc

There's a difference between tolerant and respect. I think you need to the find out that difference before commenting.

My husband is a Christian (not devout, but the original comment specified any religious person), but he's never harped on me for being an Atheist or told me I'm damned, nothing even close. If he believes I am, that doesn't bother me, because I know I'm not and he's entitled to believe whatever his heart wishes.

Then he isn't religious? You either follow every single rule of your religious doctrine to law or you aren't a proper follower are you? You are literally picking and choosing what should be followed and what shouldn't, and it seems to be more a cultural identity issue than a true religious follower. Plus, I would expect you to know the feelings of the person you are willing to spend the rest of your life with, otherwise that sounds like shaky grounds personally. Who doesn't know their signficant others feelings on one of the most important subjects?

Plus it does sound like "I don't care if my husband thinks I'm going to die and burn in hell, he can think what he wants" which sounds the same as "I don't care if my husband thinks I'm an inferior being and I quite happily accept that"

Although you make some great points, I still stand by my initial statement :)
I won't be further discussing the subject because I don't wanna be all hypocritical and what-not.
Though I do appreciate the effort you put into your reply, it's more than I can say for some others. 

"I can't think of anything to rebuttal this with, so I'll just play the dogmatic arguer."

#143 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

"I can't think of anything to rebuttal this with, so I'll just play the dogmatic arguer."

Don't be silly.
I already said we need to get back on topic and how head-strong would it make me if I couldn't resist but to argue with someone baiting me :p

I'm not up for a debate right now, and frankly this isn't the place for it. 
As I said previously, I won't be changing my view point and I don't expect anyone else to change theirs, so why exactly would I waste my time arguing in circles on a subject that isn't even relevant to the thread?

#144 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

Frankly, it doesn't bother me at all. I think the afterlife is something that people don't think about actively. Cause you know, people are more interested in living in the present. The afterlife is something more abstract that can generally be ignored in favour of the happy feelings you're having for your SO.

Also an important point is that I personally don't believe in hell, so there's not really any sort of threat, or bad feeling on my part. I don't believe I'll rot, and I don't particularly care if HE thinks I'll rot, because I think what he thinks is wrong. Does that make sense?

#145 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

Don't be silly.
I already said we need to get back on topic and how head-strong would it make me if I couldn't resist but to argue with someone baiting me :p

I'm not up for a debate right now, and frankly this isn't the place for it. 
As I said previously, I won't be changing my view point and I don't expect anyone else to change theirs, so why exactly would I waste my time arguing in circles on a subject that isn't even relevant to the thread?

If you're prepared to have such a dogmatic opinion, be prepared to defend it. Don't fall behind such clouds of distraction such as "This isn't the right time for me, this isn't the right section". It's childish and immature.

"Hey guys I think the Jews should be exterminated" 

"Woah, that's wrong and immoral"

"Well I'm not in the mood for a debate sorry"

#146 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

I couldn't date someone who thinks that being the slightest bit religious makes them an idiot.

I couldn't date someone who doesn't understand that maybe some people use parts of religion as a moral basis to live a better life.

#147 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

Ugh, this topic was supposed to be preference of eye colour or hair style, not showing off your inferiority complex

#148 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

I couldn't date someone who doesn't understand that maybe some people use parts of religion as a moral basis to live a better life.

So if it wasn't for a 2000 year old book you would be murdering and raping people. That's quite unnerving. 

#149 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

What did I start? :/

#150 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

What did I start? :/

Drama llama!  ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic