Quantcast

Photo

Spanking and Other Forms of Punishment

spank discipline merica

• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

Poll: Is spanking OK? (58 member(s) have cast votes)

Is spanking for punishment OK?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 RitzWin

RitzWin
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

Uh, what?

Adding stimulae isn't de facto preferable to the removal of them. I strongly dispute your assertion that physical punishment is a form of "positive punishment", which is a nonsense term in a league of its own.

He's using psychology positive reinforcement vs negative reinforcement vs positive punishment vs negative punishment.

Positive means doing or giving something.

Negative means removal or not doing something.

Regardless, what he said is in line with the status quo: Wifes have rights, but children do not.

#152 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

Regardless, what he said is in line with the status quo: Wifes have rights, but children do not.

I would say children have the right to behave like children.

#153 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

Nothing.

Edited by Napiform, 24 April 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#154 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

According to Parentdish.com there is a researcher who states that a little spanking is good for kids. I am more under the opinion that spanking is not for every parent and not for every kid. Everyone is different, circumstances are different, and just because it worked for me when I was a kid doesn't mean that it would work for everyone.

#155 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:34 AM

Yeah spanking didn't stop me from doing anything. It basically just taught me how to be sneakier about doing things, which did benefit me during my short stint as a drug dealer.

#156 RitzWin

RitzWin
  • 241 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

Yeah spanking didn't stop me from doing anything. It basically just taught me how to be sneakier about doing things, which did benefit me during my short stint as a drug dealer.

Damn, your honest!

#157 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

According to Parentdish.com there is a researcher who states that a little spanking is good for kids. I am more under the opinion that spanking is not for every parent and not for every kid. Everyone is different, circumstances are different, and just because it worked for me when I was a kid doesn't mean that it would work for everyone.

Holy shit! ONE researcher!

It much be true!

#158 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

Holy shit! ONE researcher!
It much be true!

Yup, much be true, much also be not true. I'm not entirely sure why we've turned into Chinese philosophers though. :/

#159 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

I didn't want to spam up a bunch of links supporting spanking but here you go:

Christian Perspective Article

psychology professor Marjorie Gunnoe at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Michigan

Circle of moms

The Daily Beast

Yes some of those are opinion blog/articles however that is what this topic boils down to and having some clearly outlined reasoning supporting spanking and examples as to when and why I feel help this debate further.

The Daily Beast summarizes that;

...if the progressive parents are the ones who never spank (or at least there’s a large overlap), then perhaps the consistency of discipline is more important than the form of discipline. In other words, spanking regularly isn’t the problem; the problem is having no regular form of discipline at all.

#160 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

I didn't want to spam up a bunch of links supporting spanking but here you go:

Christian Perspective Article
psychology professor Marjorie Gunnoe at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Michigan
Circle of moms
The Daily Beast

Yes some of those are opinion blog/articles however that is what this topic boils down to and having some clearly outlined reasoning supporting spanking and examples as to when and why I feel help this debate further.

The Daily Beast summarizes that;

I doubt Joe would settle for anything less than articles in a peer-reviewed academic journal.

#161 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

I doubt Joe would settle for anything less than articles in a peer-reviewed academic journal.

Yeah well having a PHd in spanking specialization is a rare thing it would seem. :-/

#162 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

Damn, your honest!

Selling a couple of bags of weed doesn't make you a "dealer"

#163 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

Yeah well having a PHd in spanking specialization is a rare thing it would seem. :-/

Really?

http://archpedi.jama...rticleid=518458

http://journals.camb...ine&aid=2540224

http://link.springer...1007/BF00977030

http://www.cmaj.ca/c...161/7/805.short

Seems that actual scholarly articles are quite prevalent. Abstracts are all free to read, though some full texts are behind paywalls.

(These all came from the first page of a Scholar search for "spanking", by the way - no bias in keywords.)

#164 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

Really?

http://archpedi.jama...rticleid=518458

http://journals.camb...ine&aid=2540224

http://link.springer...1007/BF00977030

http://www.cmaj.ca/c...161/7/805.short

Seems that actual scholarly articles are quite prevalent. Abstracts are all free to read, though some full texts are behind paywalls.

(These all came from the first page of a Scholar search for "spanking", by the way - no bias in keywords.)

Okay, you have changed my opinion and perspective. 

What alternatives do you recommend?

Edit: Napiform is mean.

Edited by Yung, 27 April 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#165 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

Okay, you have changed my opinion and perspective. 

What alternatives do you recommend?

Use your imagination.

#166 RitzWin

RitzWin
  • 241 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

You can look for scientific studies on spanking.  I've never found one that ended up supporting spanking.

The case for supporting spanking has been closed for a while now.  It's only held afloat by people defending what their parents did.  Not unlike how religion stays afloat, not based on science or evidence, but bigotry.

#167 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

Use your imagination.

...Did you just tell *yung* to use his imagination?

#168 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

Use your imagination.

That's hardly an adequate response. You can dissuade my opinion and convince me that spanking isn't good for my children but you can't provide even a modest suggestion as to an alternative that you'd recommend?

#169 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

That's hardly an adequate response. You can dissuade my opinion and convince me that spanking isn't good for my children but you can't provide even a modest suggestion as to an alternative that you'd recommend?

You could do me the courtesy of reading the rest of my posts in this thread where I have already done so for other people.

#170 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

You could do me the courtesy of reading the rest of my posts in this thread where I have already done so for other people.

I have. You never flat out say at any point in time that you recommend, XX, as an alternative for spanking.

#171 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

I have. You never flat out say at any point in time that you recommend, XX, as an alternative for spanking.

And the reason for that should be clear from those posts.

#172 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

So you're strictly under the opinion that preventative behavior is the best method? How does one initiate preventative behavior?

#173 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

So you're strictly under the opinion that preventative behavior is the best method? How does one initiate preventative behavior?

What?

#174 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

How would you recommend we prevent the behavior that led to the punishment in the first place?

#175 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

How would you recommend we prevent the behavior that led to the punishment in the first place?

That's what the punishment is for...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spank, discipline, merica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users