Quantcast

Photo

Do you support gay marriage??

• Please log in to reply
410 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you support gay marriage (276 member(s) have cast votes)

do you support gay marriage?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#301 Glitter

Glitter
  • 121 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:03 AM

Lmao, marriage feels like such an old topic to actually debate about. I can't believe that people actively being against gay marriage is actually a thing in the 21st century, let alone 2014.

LOL right! They used to think you were going to hell for being left handed. Now they have left handed stores... but do we every learn? nope. 

#302 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:08 AM

Lmao, marriage feels like such an old topic to actually debate about. I can't believe that people actively being against gay marriage is actually a thing in the 21st century, let alone 2014.

What's more unbelievable is that people are using a single book on religion to argue against something they're scared of. :p

#303 Norava

Norava
  • Pro Can Cran

• 547 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:13 AM

I support it. The argument for it :

If you don't allow them to get married because of religious reasons, then marriage shouldn't get government benefits because separation of church and state.

If you don't support it because you hate gays, then it's discrimination. 

#304 Oktober

Oktober
  • Team ASS

• 318 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:22 AM

If you don't want to have a gay marriage, you are not obligted to have a gay marriage. If it doesn't hurt anyone, people should be able to do what they want.

Oh, you think they will be going to hell? Oh well, that's too bad. Let them.

#305 Choconilla

Choconilla
  • 53 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:23 PM

I definitely believe men and women and transsexuals and so on and so forth should be allowed to get hitched if they want. 

I like to say,

If straight people can go to Vegas for a night and get married drunk, to strangers they don't even know then LGBT people  who are in actual relationships should be allowed to get married. S'only fair. The 'sanctity of marriage' people always blab about is definitely a dead horse gettin' pummeled.

Edited by Choconilla, 20 May 2014 - 02:25 PM.

#306 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

a dead horse gettin' pummeled.

Hey, that's not what gay marriage is about!

#307 Choconilla

Choconilla
  • 53 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:31 PM

Well, I apologize for dragging the horse into this.

I'll go bury it all proper like. : [

I do also remember seeing there being an online protest about how 'gay marriage' was just marriage. As in, you don't go to gay work, you go to work, you don't gay clean your house, you just clean. And I laughed because in a way it was true. But also it's an inevitable label for distinction. ;-;

#308 Nentusia

Nentusia
  • 134 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:21 AM

How could one not support it?

If you don't want to be in a gay marriage, don't get into one. What other consenting adults are doing should not be any of your business. No matter if you agree with it or not.

It's like.. just because you're on a diet, you cannot be mad at other people for eating cake!

Simple as that.

#309 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:34 AM

It is actually nice to see that majority of people here (or at least those who voted) are not ignorant mongrels. *claps*

#310 Ratila

Ratila
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this member!

• 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

i'm not gay, but what other people do is their business and it doesn't affect me.

they can suck each other's dicks or lick each other's twats, idc. people should be happy.

#311 Daviid

Daviid
  • 73 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:29 AM

I support it.

Who am I to tell anyone who and who can not love/marry?

Just close-minded and selfish people think they have any right to decide at all.

#312 Mizk

Mizk
  • 137 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:03 AM

Yes. Everyone should have the same rights

#313 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:35 AM

Oops, I forgot to answer the question. ^^;

I would say that it doesn't affect me because I am straigt, but I do support gay marriage. It doesn't matter if you're gay or straight, if you won't take the time to make your relationship/marriage work, then you shouldn't be married.

#314 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:31 AM

I don't really understand the point of gay marriage. Is it just for the sake of being married? Just for the benefits (tax freebies and what not)? If the latter, why not just elevate civil unions to include the same benefits or whatever and have the Christian crowd be happy with their sanctity of marriage or whatever the fuck it is they want to protect.

#315 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:39 AM

I don't really understand the point of gay marriage. Is it just for the sake of being married? Just for the benefits (tax freebies and what not)? If the latter, why not just elevate civil unions to include the same benefits or whatever and have the Christian crowd be happy with their sanctity of marriage or whatever the fuck it is they want to protect.

Why does one subset of people need a special reason to have the same rights as another?

#316 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:46 AM

Why does one subset of people need a special reason to have the same rights as another?

They don't, but it just seems like such a non-issue (to me) having it actually called 'marriage'.

It's like me whining about not being able to buy a Lumia Icon and having to settle with a Lumia 930 instead even though both phones are the same sans the carrier branding.

#317 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:49 AM

They don't, but it just seems like such a non-issue (to me) having it actually called 'marriage'.

It's like me whining about not being able to buy a Lumia Icon and having to settle with a Lumia 930 instead even though both phones are the same sans the carrier branding.

It is a non-issue in the pure sense of the terminology being legally irrelevant.

But imagine it another way: White couples can get married, but interracial couples may only apply for a "cross-racial cohabitation license". They confer the same benefits, and hold the same legal standing... so what's the problem?

#318 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:59 AM

It is a non-issue in the pure sense of the terminology being legally irrelevant.

But imagine it another way: White couples can get married, but interracial couples may only apply for a "cross-racial cohabitation license". They confer the same benefits, and hold the same legal standing... so what's the problem?

Nothing, 'cept maybe the interracial couple has quite a mouthful.

#319 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:00 AM

Surely it just makes more sense to have one union called 'marriage' which applies to all than to have two unions which are the same in every way other than their name? :rolleyes:

#320 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:05 AM

We tried the whole "seperate but equal" thing once in the US. It didn't work out so well.

#321 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:11 AM

Surely it just makes more sense to have one union called 'marriage' which applies to all than to have two unions which are the same in every way other than their name? :rolleyes:

I'm not disagreeing, but if the religious side only bawls about gay-unions being called marriage, then it seems kind of a waste of time getting that shit renamed or whatever.

Personally I don't give two shits what either are called, if it were up to me I'd just call any such unions covenants, give the heteros and homos equal rights and call it a day instead of wasting so much time and resources arguing about somebody's definition of marriage getting changed.

#322 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:12 AM

Because it's bullshit. If Atheists can get married then gay people should be able to get married. Not everyone who gets married is Christian or religious so it makes no sense to me that people are trying to pull religion into it. Like someone already said, the concept of marriage predates monotheistic religions so they need to learn to back up and accept the fact that they don't own everything. I'm so sick of fundamentalists thinking they own this country and should be able to dictate how our legal system works.

#323 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

@Cyo, it is not about the benefits. It is about being treated equally. Having the same benefits doesn't mean treated equally. Being treated as equals means treated equally. Deadly simple yet some people cannot understand it.

#324 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:40 AM

@Cyo, it is not about the benefits. It is about being treated equally. Having the same benefits doesn't mean treated equally. Being treated as equals means treated equally. Deadly simple yet some people cannot understand it.

If you get the same rights, aren't you treated equally? Maybe this is the root of me not understanding what the big deal is.

#325 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

If you get the same rights, aren't you treated equally? Maybe this is the root of me not understanding what the big deal is.

There are many things that are impractical about what you're asking us to do here. 

The biggest issue being it ultimately won't get the same rights as a married couple. Gay marriages are already recognized federally so if all states legalize it then we won't have this issue of inequality and all marriages will have the same rights. Civil unions are not recognized federally or internationally, they are only recognized on a state by state basis so one state will recognize your civil union and the next state won't unless you get a civil union in their state as well. You don't get the same legal rights as a marriage and it would be ridiculously long, drawn out, and expensive to jump through the hoops and put our legal system (who already don't do shit!) up to the task of making civil unions the same as marriages. 

We'd have to get all the states on board to re-write their civil unions code to include all the same benefits of marriages and lets be real they won't do that. It would be easier and less of a waste of time to go through the court system to force them to rewrite that "marriage is a union between a person and a person" rather than rewriting over 50 different civil codes and passing them through 50 different legislatures and passing multiple laws through our do nothing Congress to recognize all civil unions federally. Not to mention all the lawsuits that are bound to come through it because there's already a ton of lawsuits going on because people refuse to stop being bigots.

Also we're forgetting the fact that civil unions already have a function here. They're for couples who are committed to building a life together but they DON'T want all of the legal baggage that comes with a marriage. If you make civil unions into the same thing as marriages you basically take that option away from them just because Christians don't want gay people to get married.

Edited by Mishelle, 04 June 2014 - 12:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users