Quantcast

Photo

Do you support gay marriage??

• Please log in to reply
410 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you support gay marriage (276 member(s) have cast votes)

do you support gay marriage?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 Grandmaster

Grandmaster
  • 748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

To address these points,

1. IVF and other technological aids are available to heterosexual couples as well. Not just infertile ones, either; also to single mothers using sperm donors, couples where the woman doesn't want to bear the child herself for cosmetic or other reasons...a whole multitude. Seems more fair to me if the law were to make IVF etc. available exclusively for homosexual and infertile couples. I'm also not sure what is meant by the suggestion that robots will replace humans...a baby conceived via IVF is just as human as one who was naturally conceived. There is no genetic difference.

2 & 3. These are only valid oppositional arguments if we take the premise that homosexuality is a bad thing. Being kind and generous to other people would theoretically cause more people to exhibit kind and generous behaviour, but it can hardly be argued that this would be an adverse outcome.

4. Yes, many STDs are more common in men who have sex with men. But think about it for a second - how are STDs transmitted as a general rule? You get an STD because you have unprotected sex with an infected person, not because you're gay. The issue here is more about educating the population about barrier protection/safe sex and regular STD screening. 

1. Actually, the first point is not about the adoption of technology aided tools, but wider adoption. The emergence of gay marriage results in an essential adoption of technology aided tools to obtain children, other than adoption. Such proliferation of technology aided methods for reproduction is pushing the boundaries of science ethics. Gradually, other scientific methods such as cloning and mass production of human-like robots to substitute manpower will become more and more acceptable.

2 & 3. I don't think large scale of homosexuals acts is a desirable outcome. But large scale of kind and generous behaviour are definitely more than welcomed. The possibility of people engaging in homosexual acts turning from minority to majority are essentially highlighted in these two arguments.

4.  Rate of STD would be same for homosexual and heterosexual acts if it is only due to unprotected sex. There is generally higher risk for homosexual acts due to the higher number of sex partners for homosexual and the way sexual intercourse is performed between homosexual.

#152 Elva

Elva
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

1. Actually, the first point is not about the adoption of technology aided tools, but wider adoption. The emergence of gay marriage results in an essential adoption of technology aided tools to obtain children, other than adoption. Such proliferation of technology aided methods for reproduction is pushing the boundaries of science ethics. Gradually, other scientific methods such as cloning and mass production of human-like robots to substitute manpower will become more and more acceptable.

2 & 3. I don't think large scale of homosexuals acts is a desirable outcome. But large scale of kind and generous behaviour are definitely more than welcomed. The possibility of people engaging in homosexual acts turning from minority to majority are essentially highlighted in these two arguments.

4.  Rate of STD would be same for homosexual and heterosexual acts if it is only due to unprotected sex. There is generally higher risk for homosexual acts due to the higher number of sex partners for homosexual and the way sexual intercourse is performed between homosexual.

1. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "an essential adoption of technology aided tools to obtain children, other than adoption". Do you mean that the proportion of children conceived via IVF will increase, relative to natural conception? If so...well, I see a number of flaws in that argument, the first being that this it is only valid under the assumptions that:

a) Most/all homosexual couples want kids

b) They will want to conceive their own instead of adopting

c) They won't have kids if they can't get married. We're past the age where having kids out of wedlock is an issue.

This comes back to the point I raised in an earlier post about banning everything that could possibly lead to an undesirable outcome. Yes, it is possible for ethical boundaries to be pushed, but that is true of almost any situation. Should we stop cancer research because we might stumble upon a way of genetically engineering people to not get cancer? You might then argue that evading cancer is a good thing (I won't even start on the fact that this contradicts the common argument that homosexuality is wrong because it is "against nature"; that's a whole other can of worms!). But, then, would we be morally obligated to abstain from the anti-cancer treatment by the argument that it "might" lead to "pushing the boundaries of science ethics" and creating clones/robots? I think it's a massive, massive leap in logic to go from "allowing two men/two women to get married" to "scientists will lose all sense of ethical duty and take over the world with cloned robots".

2 & 3.  ...okay, so you don't think it's a desirable outcome. That is an opinion, not an argument. Why is it not desirable? Because you disagree, but why? You can't use the conclusion as a premise - "it's bad because I think it's bad because I think it's bad." Bear in mind that the original point was that the prevalence of homosexuality would increase, not that it would become the majority, or even occur on a large scale. Homosexuality is actually a lot more common than most people realise; it's just that gay people often have to hide that part of their identity because they keep getting condemned for it. Yes, we'll see a spike in the statistics of how many gay people there are, but for all we know it could be mostly because more people are able to admit to the world that they are gay. If you look at statistics, the number of reported cases of many diseases seems to have increased over the years, but that is due to better surveillance and reporting systems, not because we're having epidemics.

Also, engaging in homosexual acts does not equate to being gay. Sexuality is defined by who/what you are attracted to, not who you have sex with. The lines are blurry, but they're there. Not everyone has sex exclusively with people they would be willing to marry.

4. STD prevalence tends to be markedly higher in gay men; lesbian sex is actually relatively safe. Is it really fair to prevent women from marrying each other because men get themselves infected? Some homosexuals may have more sexual partners than your average heterosexual, but not all. Is it fair to prevent monogamous homosexual couples from getting married because *some* other gay people have lots of sexual partners? There are exceptions to every rule, but isn't it generally accepted that marriage is monogamous? The way I see it, allowing gay marriage would encourage gay people to stick with having sex with their spouse. If these people are emotionally ready to commit to marriage, they're probably not the ones you have to worry about in terms of spreading STDs. Not to mention that unprotected sex with an infected individual is still the cause of STD infection, regardless of the number of partners. If everyone always used barrier protection and got screened regularly to check for STDs, I don't see why homosexual STD rates would be any higher than heterosexual rates. Having sex with 40 different uninfected people won't suddenly spawn a disease.

I'm quite passionate about this topic, so I apologise in advance if I sound snippy. Please know that I really am just trying to have an intelligent, friendly debate, and that I don't mean to attack anyone personally!

Edited by Elva, 28 July 2013 - 09:12 AM.

#153 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

Well, by nature, bodies should not be anally penetrated with a big black cock

But it's natural to be anally penetrated by a tiny Asian cock?

I'm not sure I'm following your logic regarding this topic.

Edited by Napiosaurus, 28 July 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#154 MishaZheleza

MishaZheleza
  • Iron Mouse

• 68 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

TzlwE.gifWell, this about sums up how I feel about this entire thread. Oh, by all means marry who you want. :p

#155 Elva

Elva
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

Haha. I actually enjoy debating this topic, just to hear what people have to say. I've always been pretty keen on finding out why people hold certain beliefs, whether or not I agree. 

#156 Mex

Mex
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

I'm not sure I'm following your logic regarding this topic.

I'm saying that people complain about homosexuality saying that is not natural, but don't care about other stuff. 

#157 MishaZheleza

MishaZheleza
  • Iron Mouse

• 68 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

I mean, I live in a VERY conservative small town, with very narrow minded people obviously, yet when I debate them, they always go back to the Bible or some studies done by Marcus Bachman, and often get really flustered when I just use simple science. Speaking of science, I'm afraid us homosexuals have already invaded and took over some of the animal kingdom! AHHHH!

http://en.wikipedia....sexual_behavior

Marshmallow Bats are actually 75% homosexual, and only perform heterosexual behaviors if you will, to mate with each other, but even then, those clever little fellas actually came up with their own way to mate with each other, but since I figure not everyone wants to know about the mating habits of a marshmallow bat, feel free to look that up on your own. *tips my top hat*

215418_506716659357792_714776259_n.jpeg I'm surprised this flow chart hasn't been used sooner actually...

#158 Trey

Trey
  • 364 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

It's interesting how the Internet (or at least, the youth portion of the Internet) is by and large pro-gay.

As an Asian, I object to that characterisation of our dick size!

#159 Grandmaster

Grandmaster
  • 748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

1. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "an essential adoption of technology aided tools to obtain children, other than adoption". Do you mean that the proportion of children conceived via IVF will increase, relative to natural conception? If so...well, I see a number of flaws in that argument, the first being that this it is only valid under the assumptions that:

a) Most/all homosexual couples want kids

b) They will want to conceive their own instead of adopting

c) They won't have kids if they can't get married. We're past the age where having kids out of wedlock is an issue.

This comes back to the point I raised in an earlier post about banning everything that could possibly lead to an undesirable outcome. Yes, it is possible for ethical boundaries to be pushed, but that is true of almost any situation. Should we stop cancer research because we might stumble upon a way of genetically engineering people to not get cancer? You might then argue that evading cancer is a good thing (I won't even start on the fact that this contradicts the common argument that homosexuality is wrong because it is "against nature"; that's a whole other can of worms!). But, then, would we be morally obligated to abstain from the anti-cancer treatment by the argument that it "might" lead to "pushing the boundaries of science ethics" and creating clones/robots? I think it's a massive, massive leap in logic to go from "allowing two men/two women to get married" to "scientists will lose all sense of ethical duty and take over the world with cloned robots".

2 & 3.  ...okay, so you don't think it's a desirable outcome. That is an opinion, not an argument. Why is it not desirable? Because you disagree, but why? You can't use the conclusion as a premise - "it's bad because I think it's bad because I think it's bad." Bear in mind that the original point was that the prevalence of homosexuality would increase, not that it would become the majority, or even occur on a large scale. Homosexuality is actually a lot more common than most people realise; it's just that gay people often have to hide that part of their identity because they keep getting condemned for it. Yes, we'll see a spike in the statistics of how many gay people there are, but for all we know it could be mostly because more people are able to admit to the world that they are gay. If you look at statistics, the number of reported cases of many diseases seems to have increased over the years, but that is due to better surveillance and reporting systems, not because we're having epidemics.

Also, engaging in homosexual acts does not equate to being gay. Sexuality is defined by who/what you are attracted to, not who you have sex with. The lines are blurry, but they're there. Not everyone has sex exclusively with people they would be willing to marry.

4. STD prevalence tends to be markedly higher in gay men; lesbian sex is actually relatively safe. Is it really fair to prevent women from marrying each other because men get themselves infected? Some homosexuals may have more sexual partners than your average heterosexual, but not all. Is it fair to prevent monogamous homosexual couples from getting married because *some* other gay people have lots of sexual partners? There are exceptions to every rule, but isn't it generally accepted that marriage is monogamous? The way I see it, allowing gay marriage would encourage gay people to stick with having sex with their spouse. If these people are emotionally ready to commit to marriage, they're probably not the ones you have to worry about in terms of spreading STDs. Not to mention that unprotected sex with an infected individual is still the cause of STD infection, regardless of the number of partners. If everyone always used barrier protection and got screened regularly to check for STDs, I don't see why homosexual STD rates would be any higher than heterosexual rates. Having sex with 40 different uninfected people won't suddenly spawn a disease.

I'm quite passionate about this topic, so I apologise in advance if I sound snippy. Please know that I really am just trying to have an intelligent, friendly debate, and that I don't mean to attack anyone personally!

It's always good to have open discussion, as long as we are able to contain our emotions and refrain from personal attacks and use of emotive words, it will be meaningful.

1. This point is still surrounding the reproduction issue. Heterosexual couples are generally able to reproduce by themselves without any technology tools. Whereas for homosexual couples, the reproduction would be impossible without technology aided tools. So without the wider adoption of technology tools, the human population will face greater decline if the percentage of homosexual couples is relatively high. Currently, such adoption of technology tools are still quite limited to much less than 1% of world's population. But if the effects for concerns for human population and increasing number of homosexual couples (whether it is more countries legalising gay marriage or more children being influenced by nurture environment to become gay) are added together, such adoption may increase to 5%-10% or even higher. Then it will gradually accepted that IVF and other technology aided tools should be allowed for all. Then it will only take another step for cloning, stem cell research, mass production of human-like robots to be socially acceptable. Some people may think that decline of human population may be good but in order to ensure continual economic growth, human population should be maintained at certain level. With baby boomer generation going soon in the next few decades, we are already going to face steep population decline. In order to make up for the population decline in the fastest possible method, substituting human manpower with robots may become more acceptable if other artificial method of reproduction becomes more acceptable. By the way, legalising gay marriage is not just allowing two men/women getting married, the percentage of people being affected is quite high. Controversial scientific methods in the past have been accepted when their influence on human population is becoming significant. Genetic engineering is another controversial topic but through the justification you made for it to cure cancer, it is likely that this move will sychronise with the wider adoption of artificial reproduction technology to push for greater technology freedom.  

2-3. If the wording is just rephrased, then it is circular argument. But when the scope has been changed, it is a different debate altogether. From protecting the rights of minority, it has now turned into acceptable alternative way of living for everyone. It is just like arguing about war in war times and peace times. The topic of war is the same but in war times, war crimes are mainly debated instead of justification of war in peace times. If widespread homosexual acts is justified just because homosexual acts is not a bad thing, then it will likely strengthen the first point of reproduction issues. It is good that you have brought up the difference between homosexuality and homosexual acts. The key argument here is about gay marriage so it is primarily surrounding homosexual acts. The natural tendency of being attracted to same sex does not necessarily mean that it will develop into homosexual acts, much less than the need for gay marriage.

4. The two reasons for higher STD in gay population than heterosexual population is higher number of sex partners and the method of sexual intercourse. The higher number of sex partners is primarily the result of less responsibility associated with engaging in homosexual acts. There is no pregnancy or its related effects to talk about. Marriage may not be able to solve the issue, just like how heterosexual couples still faced this problem even with marriage in place. In fact, with the legalisation of gay marriage, the issue would intensify. Previously, instead of trying to find the appropriate homosexual partner, some homosexuals may still be torn between engaging in homosexual acts, abstaining from homosexual acts or turning to straight. So in the pursuit of finding more appropriate homosexual partner to be married, they may be likely to engage in more homosexual acts before the marriage. The method of sexual intercourse is also one that is prone to infection and higher risk of STD for gays. STD is not merely just transmitting from one person to another, the source of most STD is bacteria infection. Between gays, the insertion of penis to anus can cause infection unlike less likelihood of infection happening when penis is inserted to vaginal. Between lesbians, there is also usually use of insertives into vaginal so these external objects are also source of cause for infection.

I mean, I live in a VERY conservative small town, with very narrow minded people obviously, yet when I debate them, they always go back to the Bible or some studies done by Marcus Bachman, and often get really flustered when I just use simple science. Speaking of science, I'm afraid us homosexuals have already invaded and took over some of the animal kingdom! AHHHH!

http://en.wikipedia....sexual_behavior

Marshmallow Bats are actually 75% homosexual, and only perform heterosexual behaviors if you will, to mate with each other, but even then, those clever little fellas actually came up with their own way to mate with each other, but since I figure not everyone wants to know about the mating habits of a marshmallow bat, feel free to look that up on your own. *tips my top hat*

215418_506716659357792_714776259_n.jpeg I'm surprised this flow chart hasn't been used sooner actually...

Actually, animals showing homosexual behaviour is one that confused many. But by putting the flowchart right below the homosexual behaviour in animal, the argument is self-defeated. Precisely because we want a civilized society, we should not be adopting uncivilised animal behaviours. In the animal world, cannibalism, predator-prey relationship, unrestricted breeding and mating are common. But if we were to adopt these behaviours as well, we would be legalising murdering, abuse of power to achieve anything you want, polygamy should be favoured over monogamy.

As for the flowchart contents, I will explain together with the quote below.

Using Christianity/Catholicism as an example, see here for a list of things that the Bible condemns, but which many people get away with doing anyway:

http://www.huffingto..._n_1327701.html

This is a prime example of how Bible can be manipulated to suit a personal agenda by taking verses out of its context.

Firstly, the Bible is a compilations of literature with different genres, be it poems, narratives, prophecy, letters, etc. Each genre should be intepreted in different ways. Some genres can be taken literally and are more descriptive than presciptive, like narratives. But others like prophecy or poems uses a lot of metaphors so if you take it literally, the meaning is distorted.

Secondly, the Bible verses should not be taken out of its background and time and space it is associated with. This is especially the case for the use of Old Testament which has a lot of historical narratives. In all the arguments brought forth in the article, they just take out 1 verse from Old Testament and start interpret them without cross-referencing with other parts of the Bible, much less even looking at the entire passage that the verse is taken from.

For instance, in the first other example in the article about Eating A Ham Sandwich. The entire Leviticus 11 is talking about clean and unclean animals, which forms the tradition for Jews and subsequently may have also influenced Halal food. But is this something to be applied across to everyone and is timeless? The New Testament gives some explanation: Peter was told to eat unclean food in a vision (Acts 10: 9-15). The conclusion was "What God has made clean, do not call unclean". Although this was initially just a vision to ask Peter to spread the gospel to non-Jewish people, there is also more New Testaments reference: Romans 14:1-23, Mark 7:14-23. It ultimately suggested that choice of food is not that important but it is more important that you give thanks to God and ensure that the choice of food you had do not stumble another person. So in this scenario, the topic of food is actually closely related to traditions of Jews, just like the Jews festivals, tabernacles and holy temple. All these are not strictly observed by Christians but the essence of tabernacles and holy temple and synagogue is still extended to churches until today because there is a continuity in the emphasis of congregation of believers throughout Old and New Testament.

Therefore, the key to interpretation of bible is that you need to understand the background and why it was written that way, sometimes it also requires you to understand the greek or hebrew lanaguage that the Bible was originally written in as some meanings are not captured as accurately as the original language in the translation. With that, then you can derive universal principles that are consistent across the Old and New Testament. For instance, Sabbath was a concept that is applicable to all. But the way it has been displayed has changed over time but its essence remains. For Jews, Sabbath is usually Sat but for Christians Sabbath is Sun. Then for what can be done and what cannot be done during Sabbath, Jews observes strictly that nothing related to work should be done. But in many instances, Jesus healed or helped people during Sabbath which is considered unacceptable to Jews so for Jesus, honouring God is the an important aspect of Sabbath, in addition to resting after 6 days of work.

Back to the topic of homosexual acts and gay marriage, the only old testament verse brought up by article is insufficient to support the opposition. But when we look through the entire bible, homosexual acts are continually being condemned by God. Other than the Leviticitus verses, the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah was a significant event recorded in the Bible. In this event, the only cause of this heavenly punishment that was recorded is the same-sex union. The men living in the city came to Lot’s house and wanted to take away the two men that just arrived in the city to have sex with them. In a bid to prevent the two men from being taken away, Lot even offered his two virgin daughters to satisfy their sexual desires. Yet those people rejected that offer and wanted to break into his house to take away the two men. This suggests that the destruction was mainly targeted at the sexual immorality in terms of homosexuality, not other forms of heterosexual immoralities. Therefore, this incident serves as valuable precedent to conclude that same-sex union is such a heinous sin that calls for God to initiate complete obliteration of the people in the two cities. In the New Testament, Romans 1:26-27, it is stated that homosexual acts are considered shameless and the people who engage in such acts will be punished. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 further states that those who practise homosexuality will not inherit God’s kingdom.

Edited by Grandmaster, 29 July 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#160 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:05 AM

http://www.wnd.com/2...ophilia-rights/

what do you guys think? :unsure:

#161 Mex

Mex
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

Homosexuals don't rape. Period.

Of course some of them had done it, but you know what I mean.

#162 MishaZheleza

MishaZheleza
  • Iron Mouse

• 68 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

It's always good to have open discussion, as long as we are able to contain our emotions and refrain from personal attacks and use of emotive words, it will be meaningful.

1. This point is still surrounding the reproduction issue. Heterosexual couples are generally able to reproduce by themselves without any technology tools. Whereas for homosexual couples, the reproduction would be impossible without technology aided tools. So without the wider adoption of technology tools, the human population will face greater decline if the percentage of homosexual couples is relatively high. Currently, such adoption of technology tools are still quite limited to much less than 1% of world's population. But if the effects for concerns for human population and increasing number of homosexual couples (whether it is more countries legalising gay marriage or more children being influenced by nurture environment to become gay) are added together, such adoption may increase to 5%-10% or even higher. Then it will gradually accepted that IVF and other technology aided tools should be allowed for all. Then it will only take another step for cloning, stem cell research, mass production of human-like robots to be socially acceptable. Some people may think that decline of human population may be good but in order to ensure continual economic growth, human population should be maintained at certain level. With baby boomer generation going soon in the next few decades, we are already going to face steep population decline. In order to make up for the population decline in the fastest possible method, substituting human manpower with robots may become more acceptable if other artificial method of reproduction becomes more acceptable. By the way, legalising gay marriage is not just allowing two men/women getting married, the percentage of people being affected is quite high. Controversial scientific methods in the past have been accepted when their influence on human population is becoming significant. Genetic engineering is another controversial topic but through the justification you made for it to cure cancer, it is likely that this move will sychronise with the wider adoption of artificial reproduction technology to push for greater technology freedom.  

2-3. If the wording is just rephrased, then it is circular argument. But when the scope has been changed, it is a different debate altogether. From protecting the rights of minority, it has now turned into acceptable alternative way of living for everyone. It is just like arguing about war in war times and peace times. The topic of war is the same but in war times, war crimes are mainly debated instead of justification of war in peace times. If widespread homosexual acts is justified just because homosexual acts is not a bad thing, then it will likely strengthen the first point of reproduction issues. It is good that you have brought up the difference between homosexuality and homosexual acts. The key argument here is about gay marriage so it is primarily surrounding homosexual acts. The natural tendency of being attracted to same sex does not necessarily mean that it will develop into homosexual acts, much less than the need for gay marriage.

4. The two reasons for higher STD in gay population than heterosexual population is higher number of sex partners and the method of sexual intercourse. The higher number of sex partners is primarily the result of less responsibility associated with engaging in homosexual acts. There is no pregnancy or its related effects to talk about. Marriage may not be able to solve the issue, just like how heterosexual couples still faced this problem even with marriage in place. In fact, with the legalisation of gay marriage, the issue would intensify. Previously, instead of trying to find the appropriate homosexual partner, some homosexuals may still be torn between engaging in homosexual acts, abstaining from homosexual acts or turning to straight. So in the pursuit of finding more appropriate homosexual partner to be married, they may be likely to engage in more homosexual acts before the marriage. The method of sexual intercourse is also one that is prone to infection and higher risk of STD for gays. STD is not merely just transmitting from one person to another, the source of most STD is bacteria infection. Between gays, the insertion of penis to anus can cause infection unlike less likelihood of infection happening when penis is inserted to vaginal. Between lesbians, there is also usually use of insertives into vaginal so these external objects are also source of cause for infection.

Actually, animals showing homosexual behaviour is one that confused many. But by putting the flowchart right below the homosexual behaviour in animal, the argument is self-defeated. Precisely because we want a civilized society, we should not be adopting uncivilised animal behaviours. In the animal world, cannibalism, predator-prey relationship, unrestricted breeding and mating are common. But if we were to adopt these behaviours as well, we would be legalising murdering, abuse of power to achieve anything you want, polygamy should be favoured over monogamy.

As for the flowchart contents, I will explain together with the quote below.

This is a prime example of how Bible can be manipulated to suit a personal agenda by taking verses out of its context.

Firstly, the Bible is a compilations of literature with different genres, be it poems, narratives, prophecy, letters, etc. Each genre should be intepreted in different ways. Some genres can be taken literally and are more descriptive than presciptive, like narratives. But others like prophecy or poems uses a lot of metaphors so if you take it literally, the meaning is distorted.

Secondly, the Bible verses should not be taken out of its background and time and space it is associated with. This is especially the case for the use of Old Testament which has a lot of historical narratives. In all the arguments brought forth in the article, they just take out 1 verse from Old Testament and start interpret them without cross-referencing with other parts of the Bible, much less even looking at the entire passage that the verse is taken from.

For instance, in the first other example in the article about Eating A Ham Sandwich. The entire Leviticus 11 is talking about clean and unclean animals, which forms the tradition for Jews and subsequently may have also influenced Halal food. But is this something to be applied across to everyone and is timeless? The New Testament gives some explanation: Peter was told to eat unclean food in a vision (Acts 10: 9-15). The conclusion was "What God has made clean, do not call unclean". Although this was initially just a vision to ask Peter to spread the gospel to non-Jewish people, there is also more New Testaments reference: Romans 14:1-23, Mark 7:14-23. It ultimately suggested that choice of food is not that important but it is more important that you give thanks to God and ensure that the choice of food you had do not stumble another person. So in this scenario, the topic of food is actually closely related to traditions of Jews, just like the Jews festivals, tabernacles and holy temple. All these are not strictly observed by Christians but the essence of tabernacles and holy temple and synagogue is still extended to churches until today because there is a continuity in the emphasis of congregation of believers throughout Old and New Testament.

Therefore, the key to interpretation of bible is that you need to understand the background and why it was written that way, sometimes it also requires you to understand the greek or hebrew lanaguage that the Bible was originally written in as some meanings are not captured as accurately as the original language in the translation. With that, then you can derive universal principles that are consistent across the Old and New Testament. For instance, Sabbath was a concept that is applicable to all. But the way it has been displayed has changed over time but its essence remains. For Jews, Sabbath is usually Sat but for Christians Sabbath is Sun. Then for what can be done and what cannot be done during Sabbath, Jews observes strictly that nothing related to work should be done. But in many instances, Jesus healed or helped people during Sabbath which is considered unacceptable to Jews so for Jesus, honouring God is the an important aspect of Sabbath, in addition to resting after 6 days of work.

Back to the topic of homosexual acts and gay marriage, the only old testament verse brought up by article is insufficient to support the opposition. But when we look through the entire bible, homosexual acts are continually being condemned by God. Other than the Leviticitus verses, the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah was a significant event recorded in the Bible. In this event, the only cause of this heavenly punishment that was recorded is the same-sex union. The men living in the city came to Lot’s house and wanted to take away the two men that just arrived in the city to have sex with them. In a bid to prevent the two men from being taken away, Lot even offered his two virgin daughters to satisfy their sexual desires. Yet those people rejected that offer and wanted to break into his house to take away the two men. This suggests that the destruction was mainly targeted at the sexual immorality in terms of homosexuality, not other forms of heterosexual immoralities. Therefore, this incident serves as valuable precedent to conclude that same-sex union is such a heinous sin that calls for God to initiate complete obliteration of the people in the two cities. In the New Testament, Romans 1:26-27, it is stated that homosexual acts are considered shameless and the people who engage in such acts will be punished. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 further states that those who practise homosexuality will not inherit God’s kingdom.

No, you silly doodlehead! :) The animal kingdom example was to show you homosexual behaviours are very common through out all types of species. In fact, dolphins are considered intellectually superior to us, and could easily overtake us if they had better cognitive skills I do believe. It's not the robots you should be worried about, it's dolphins. Furthermore, while the rest of us have provided examples and data to support our claims, you just provided the same wikipedia page over and over again. In addition, the current pope believes that if a practicing catholic happens to be part of the LGBT community, then why should we discriminate? http://www.huffingto...ref=mostpopular

Your move now :)

Oh! I feel as if we should have some LGBT terms and defintions, so we don't use the wrong terms on accident. :)

(Taken from http://international...fe/definitions)

LGBT, LGBTQ, LGBTQA, TBLG: These acronyms refer to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, and Ally. Although all of the different identities within “LGBT” are often lumped together (and share sexism as a common root of oppression), there are specific needs and concerns related to each individual identity

Ally: An ally is a person who is a member of the dominant group who works to end oppression in his or her own personal and professional life by supporting and advocating with the oppressed population.

Bisexual: A person who is emotionally, physically, and/or sexually attracted to more than one gender. Also called “bi”.

Cisgender: A person whose gender identity and expression matches the gender typically associated with their biological sex. For example: a female who identifies as a woman.

Coming Out: To declare and affirm both to oneself and to others one’s identity as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, etc. It is not a single event but instead a life-long process.

Gay: A homosexual person, usually used to describe men but may be used to describe women as well.

Gender expression: Refers to the ways in which people externally communicate their gender identity to others through behavior, clothing, hairstyle, voice and emphasizing, de-emphasizing or changing their body’s characteristics. Gender expression is not necessarily an indication of sexual orientation.

Gender identity: The sense of “being” male or “being” female. For some people, gender identity is in accord with physical anatomy. For transgender people, gender identity may differ from physical anatomy or expected social roles. It is important to note that gender identity, biological sex, and sexual orientation are not necessarily linked.

Genderqueer: A term which refers to individuals or groups who “queer” or problematize the hegemonic notions of sex, gender and desire in a given society. Genderqueer people possess identities which fall outside of the widely accepted sexual binary. Genderqueer may also refer to people who identify as both transgendered AND queer, i.e. individuals who challenge both gender and sexuality regimes and see gender identity and sexual orientation as overlapping and interconnected.

Heterosexual: A person who is emotionally, physically, and/or sexually attracted and committed to the members or a gender or sex that is seen to be the “opposite” or other than the one with which they identify or are identified. Also called “straight”.

Homophobia: Thoughts, feelings, or actions based on far, dislike, judgment, or hatred of lesbians, gays and bisexuals. Homophobia has roots in sexism and can include prejudice, discrimination, harassment, and acts of violence.

Homosexual: A person who is primarily and/or exclusively attracted to members of what they identify as their own sex or gender. A clinical term that originated in the late 1800s. Some avoid the word because it contains the base word “sex.” The terms “lesbian, bi and gay” are preferred by many in the LGBT community.

In the closet: To be in the closet means to hide one’s LGBT identity in order to avoid negative social repercussions, such as losing a job, housing, friends or family. Many LGBT individuals are “out” in some situations and “closeted” in others, based on their perceived level of safety.

Lesbian: A homosexual woman.

Queer: Used as an umbrella identity term encompassing lesbian, questioning people, gay men, bisexuals, non-labeling people, transgender folks, and anyone else who does not strictly identify as heterosexual. “Queer” originated as a derogatory word. Currently, it is being reclaimed by some people and used as a statement of empowerment. Some people identify as “queer” to distance themselves from the rigid categorization of “straight” and “gay”. Some transgender, lesbian, gay, questioning, non-labeling, and bisexual people, however, reject the use of this term due to its connotations of deviance and its tendency to gloss over and sometimes deny the differences between these groups.

Sexual orientation: A person’s emotional, physical and sexual attraction and the expression of that attraction with other individuals. Some of the better-known labels or categories include “bisexual” (or “multisexual”, “pansexual”, “omnisexual”), “lesbian”, “gay” (“homosexual” is more clinical), or “heterosexual”.

Transgender: This term has many definitions. It is frequently used as an umbrella term to refer to all people who deviate from their assigned gender at birth or the binary gender system. This includes transsexuals, cross-dressers, genderqueers, drag kings, drag queens, two-spirit people, and others. Some transgender people feel they exist not within one of the two standard gender categories, but rather somewhere between, beyond or outside of those two genders.

Transphobia: The fear or hatred of transgender people or gender non-conforming behavior. Like biphobia, transphobia can also exist among lesbian, gay, and bisexual people as well as among heterosexual people.

Transsexual: A person who, through experiencing an intense, long-term discomfort resulting from feeling the inappropriateness of their assigned gender at birth and discomfort of their body, adapts their gender role and body to reflect and be congruent with their gender identity.

This should help us a bit more.

Edited by MishaZheleza, 30 July 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#163 Inida

Inida
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

To me this has always been really simple. I think marriage should lose all legal benefits and those benefits should be applied to civil unions. People who are currently married should be required to get civil unions to reobtain the benefits.  Marriage didn't start out religious, but it became religious. Fighting for the right to participate in a cult's ceremony is a bit ridiculous to me. I do think gay marriage should be legal temporarily (until marriage is stripped of benefits), but would prefer that it never was, since it's harder to change once that happens.

#164 MishaZheleza

MishaZheleza
  • Iron Mouse

• 68 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

To me this has always been really simple. I think marriage should lose all legal benefits and those benefits should be applied to civil unions. People who are currently married should be required to get civil unions to reobtain the benefits.  Marriage didn't start out religious, but it became religious. Fighting for the right to participate in a cult's ceremony is a bit ridiculous to me. I do think gay marriage should be legal temporarily (until marriage is stripped of benefits), but would prefer that it never was, since it's harder to change once that happens.

Funny you mention that. http://www.cracked.c...ultures_p2.html

#165 Grandmaster

Grandmaster
  • 748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

No, you silly doodlehead! :)

Personal attack again. Stay on the debate track, don't bring in emotions. Pointing out logical errors or using more substantiated evidence is the way to go.

The animal kingdom example was to show you homosexual behaviours are very common through out all types of species. In fact, dolphins are considered intellectually superior to us, and could easily overtake us if they had better cognitive skills I do believe. It's not the robots you should be worried about, it's dolphins. Furthermore, while the rest of us have provided examples and data to support our claims, you just provided the same wikipedia page over and over again. In addition, the current pope believes that if a practicing catholic happens to be part of the LGBT community, then why should we discriminate? http://www.huffingto...ref=mostpopular

First, homosexual behaviours is not commont through all types of species, the wiki page shown only 23 species including insects (perhaps more but should be less than 1000 species) that have demonstrated homosexual behaviours: http://en.wikipedia....vior_in_animals. But the total number of species is more than 2 million species including insects: http://www.factmonst...a/A0934288.html.

Second, no matter how common animal behaviours are, it does not mean that we should accept those behaviours. Cannibalism is a common behaviour across 1500 species: http://en.wikipedia....alism_(zoology) but does that mean we accept murder, genocide, homocide, manslaughter, or any form of killing? Predator and prey relationship is pretty much common across all species but does that mean that we can allow people in high position or power to abuse it to their own desires? Unrestricted breeding and mating is yet another common animal behaviour. In fact, a man usually have sexual desires for more than 1 woman but we still want to maintain monogamy.

So referencing animal behaviours to justify human actions is not a valid argument.

For the majority of Catholics and Christians views, it is that there should not be discrimination against the person itself but the action should be condemned. One of the major belief for Catholics and Christians is that man are all sinners and through grace, man are saved by God. However, sins are not condoned and they should try their best to overcome sins with the help of God or Holy Spirit. So there is always separation of action and person when it comes to discrimination, just like how we separate homosexuality (or natural tendency to be attracted to same sex) from homosexual acts in our discussion. As this is the discussion of gay marriage, it is mainly concerned with homosexual acts and not the homosexuality (or natural tendency to be attracted to same sex).

Edited by Grandmaster, 30 July 2013 - 07:27 PM.

#166 MishaZheleza

MishaZheleza
  • Iron Mouse

• 68 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

I'm sorry, gay marriage debate aside, did you really get offended that I called you a doodlehead?

#167 Grandmaster

Grandmaster
  • 748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

I'm sorry, gay marriage debate aside, did you really get offended that I called you a doodlehead?

It's not really about being offended. But focus should be on the topic, not on the people debating. I don't really care what people called me but I don't want focus to be shifted.

#168 MishaZheleza

MishaZheleza
  • Iron Mouse

• 68 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

Also, if you actually read the link and click amongst the other links, you would see that what they showed you was just the select few they decided to post. In addition, the fact you compare cannibalism and murder to natural attraction, two things that harm others directly, another that doesnt directly effect you at all. You still never answered me though, how does this directly effect you in your everyday life? How does two people who are in love with each other effect YOU as a person directly? tumblr_mbrauuIMFs1rno750o1_500.gif

Furthermore, as I stated above, you honestly got flustered that I called you a doodlehead. If you view any political debate, Congress, House of Commons, anything really, being called a doodlehead is probably the least of your concerns. You want an actual debate? Yes, people will bring their emotions into this. It's how one gets passionate Dnd finds a cause to fight for. I ignored the fact you weren't for gay marriages. Did it irk me? Yes. Did it irk most of us? Yes. However, you're entitled to your opinion, as we are to ours. Did we chuckle when you brought up a robot uprising into a gay marriage arguement? Yes, yes we did. However, you're entitled to your opinion and thoughts. However, honestly, I drew the line when you considered me calling you a doodlehead a personal attack. On this forum, people can call you A LOT worse of things than a doodlehead. To be honest, I heard the kids I babysit call each other doodleheads to annoy each other. Did any of the kids freak out and cry? Nope. They rebutted with worse, however, the original debate amongst the two of them was whether grape or strawberry jam was more supreme.

And lastly, while this doesn't have to do with gay marriage and rights directly, this video right here should pretty much explain my views about most things, plus it'll give us some time to cool down and have a laugh.  Take it away Mr. Carlin. http://youtu.be/hWiBt-pqp0E

Oh. And here is something nifty from Mr. Lewis Black that's actually on the topic of gay marriage ;) http://youtu.be/o-id4GKsaQk

#169 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

Second, no matter how common animal behaviours are, it does not mean that we should accept those behaviours. Cannibalism is a common behaviour across 1500 species: http://en.wikipedia....alism_(zoology) but does that mean we accept murder, genocide, homocide, manslaughter, or any form of killing?

I was under the impression cannibalism was common in humans until relatively recently too... as well as murder, genocide, homicide, and manslaughter. Some of these things are still common in humans, just not in places like the Canada or Portugal. So why not?

#170 Mex

Mex
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

Misha, as he said, it is not the fact that he got offended or not, it is the fact that you insulted him, that you lost focus. Yes, peolpe who debate have emotions too, but you should not bring them to the field.

I'm in favor of gay marriage, but I also think it is ridiculous to say that just because animals do it too it is okay. 

#171 MishaZheleza

MishaZheleza
  • Iron Mouse

• 68 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

Misha, as he said, it is not the fact that he got offended or not, it is the fact that you insulted him, that you lost focus. Yes, peolpe who debate have emotions too, but you should not bring them to the field.

I'm in favor of gay marriage, but I also think it is ridiculous to say that just because animals do it too it is okay. 

Doodlehead isn't a malicious term. I didn't mean it by that way, nor should it be taken that way.

And it's no, it's not okay just because animals do it, it's the fact animals have been doing it for years, it's a common trait that has been documented. Just because we are humans, that doesn't take away from the fact we too are part of the Animal Kingdom We are animals. We are part of the Primate Order, in the class Mammalia, Phylum Chordata, and as mentioned previously, the Kingdom of Animalia. We have evolved throughout the the many millions of the years to the current species of human we are today. We may be intellectually superior to many species of animals, but it doesn't dispute from the fact we too are animals, and to consider ourselves above that isn't exactly scientifically accurate.

Was that enough focus for everyone?

http://kids.discover...sidered-animals

http://chronicle.com...d-teacher/32709

http://science.howst...test-animal.htm

http://www.squidoo.com/humananimal

There. Some evidence to support my claims.

Doodlebops-Production-Shots-02.jpg                                                                                                                                 Now, if I called Grandmaster a DoodleBOP, I may see that as an insult, as none should ever be compared to these.... *shudders*

http://en.wikipedia..../The_Doodlebops

#172 Mex

Mex
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

The thng is that you should not call him in any other way that he has not said is okay. He was not offended, but some other person might.

#173 MishaZheleza

MishaZheleza
  • Iron Mouse

• 68 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

I understand that. However, something so meaningless like that shouldn't be seen as a personal attack. That would be like me calling you something like... Es un mango muy chistoso. It's something meaningless and in good humor, and just weird.

#174 Mex

Mex
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

¿A very funny mango? 

#175 MishaZheleza

MishaZheleza
  • Iron Mouse

• 68 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

Yes. Me calling someone a doodlehead is pretty much calling you a silly mango.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users