Quantcast

Why being a Moderator on a Neopets cheating forum is HARD sometimes.

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

POPULAR POST!

Since becoming a Moderator on these forums, I have learned a whole lot about how forums interact, how certain users behave, how friendships can change when you have a position of "authority", people treat you differently, and how sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do. 

Some of those things are usually related to punishments. I have to try to maintain a completely unbiased view when dealing with every user, even the ones who repeatedly break the rules or bait people. I have to try not to look at their past behaviors and just focus on the current situation. I have to discuss things with the rest of the staff and sometimes we do disagree but for the most part we come to a general consensus of how things will be handled. Major decisions are not made by one Moderator alone, the entire Mod team is involved, as well as Strategist and Waser Lave and sometimes the other Admins. However, from the outside looking in, sometimes it appears that a Mod is just making a poor decision all by their lonesome and they are made out to be the bad guy. I have been made out to be the bad guy a bajillion trillion times. I no longer care if select people think I am horrible, because I can't care, caring will just effect how I do my "job". 

When someone does something that is against the rules, like a recent situation, you get people who are demanding you do something about it. No, not the people involved, I mean people who have no connection to the situation at all. We get reports, I get messages, of people telling us this situation or that situation needs to be handled. Once it's handled, there's always another person or persons, who will disagree with your decision and make a fuss about it. When you are left with decisions regarding other users, you're always going to be the bad guy because there is always going to be someone unhappy. You do something, you're wrong. You don't do something, you're wrong. At the end of the day we are just doing what we are supposed to be doing to keep the forum pleasant for the users. 

All I care about is the community. I don't have personal grudges against anyone here, I make the decisions along with the rest of the staff that I feel is the most fair and justified for the community to be happy. The actual work isn't hard at all. It's the reaction you get that's hard and the way people treat you. I am just another user of the forum, I don't think that I am better than anyone here and I am not on a power trip just because I issue a warning. I'm just. doing. my. job. We all are. 

With that said, I don't know if there was a point to this post except to remind people that we're users too and we make mistakes and we make judgement calls that not everyone will agree with, but it's always to protect the community. Hopefully you folks can try to cut us some slack and remember all the things I mentioned next time you disagree with something a staff member does. 

And to lighten the mood here's a picture of my kids on Halloween:

Spoiler

#2 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

Love you <3

Also, your kids are cute. 

#3 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

Love you <3

Also, your kids are cute. 

Thanks ^_^ They get their good looks honestly. lolololjk.

#4 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

Report and move on. There's a reason why the people why many people here weren't selected for the moderation team. Way too dramatic.

#5 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

Report and move on. There's a reason why the people why many people here weren't selected for the moderation team. Way too dramatic.

I really wish every person could keep it simple like that :p 

#6 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

I think anyone who has ever been part of the moderation team of a forum knows people will complain about every single decision they make, demand stuff for no reason and act extremely childish when they don't get it their way. After all, that's what the internet is for, acting like a 7-yo asshole.

#7 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

I think anyone who has ever been part of the moderation team of a forum knows people will complain about every single decision they make, demand stuff for no reason and act extremely childish when they don't get it their way. After all, that's what the internet is for, acting like a 7-yo asshole.

I expected as much when I joined the team, but figure it doesn't hurt to remind people. 
I don't expect to suddenly receive no complaints, but maybe a few less if they consider that I have just as many people bugging me to take action as I do people protesting my actions. lol

#8 Derriere

Derriere
  • The Black Guy

• 686 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

funfact: if you add an extra o to mod you get mood.

#9 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

funfact: if you add an extra o to mod you get mood.

Or modo!
or doom!....
:reaper:

#10 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

I expected as much when I joined the team, but figure it doesn't hurt to remind people. 
I don't expect to suddenly receive no complaints, but maybe a few less if they consider that I have just as many people bugging me to take action as I do people protesting my actions. lol

Well, maybe if you did your job you wouldn't have people complaining.

#11 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

I do my job, so I guess that isn't the solution. :(

#12 Derriere

Derriere
  • The Black Guy

• 686 posts

SHOTS FIRED
I REPEAT SHOTS FIREDDDD

#13 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

I really wish every person could keep it simple like that :p

Complaining isn't going to get anything done faster, anyways.

I have more important things to do like snuggling my stuffed alpaca video games.

It's so much easier and more fun when you're anonymous, though.

#14 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

Nooo Kate you shouldn't have made this topic  ;)

Spoiler

#15 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

Nooo Kate you shouldn't have made this topic  ;)

Spoiler

Well I am sassy and I speak ma mind. 
I know I'll get some negative responses but that's fine, maybe it'll get some healthy discussion going. :p

#16 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

Well I blame that drak guy, for everything.

#17 anewvision

anewvision
  • 1195 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

It's impossible to make everyone happy, there will always be someone complaining, but I still think you're awesome! ^-^ <3

until you piss me off....... JK!

Oh, and your kids are adorable! So, WHO CARES!!! lol

#18 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

I haven't been moderator for even a month yet, but I understand the whole "expected to please everyone, but really it's a lose-lose situation" from jobs and leadership positions. I still waiting for my moment of #%&#. It'll be exciting.

In times like those, what'd ya gon do?

tumblr_mdef3hkB1A1rnvwt1.gif

#19 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:07 PM

I haven't been moderator for even a month yet, but I understand the whole "expected to please everyone, but really it's a lose-lose situation" from jobs and leadership positions. I still waiting for my moment of #%&#. It'll be exciting.

In times like those, what'd ya gon do?

tumblr_mdef3hkB1A1rnvwt1.gif

Make like House GOP and only appease your largest donors

#20 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

I love disappointing people here. #YOLO

#21 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

I love disappointing people here. #YOLO

Some of us were just born to disappoint. ^_^

#22 Chameleon

Chameleon
  • vampire or somesuch

• 627 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

Your kids are adorable.

Try to remember the people contacting you - either way - feel invested in the community.  That's a good thing.  If nobody cared either way that would be a bad thing.  They're contacting you as a trusted "leader" of the community because they trust you to do "something".  Try to keep that trust as the happy thought, even when/if they're being whiny little bitches. 

#23 flea

flea
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

can we jus get rid of mods altogether? its not like this place is gonna go to hell without eM..

member elected modship wud be sick too .. cuz typically the type that wanna be mods make the worse mods. might as well elect em in

#24 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

can we jus get rid of mods altogether? its not like this place is gonna go to hell without eM..

member elected modship wud be sick too .. cuz typically the type that wanna be mods make the worse mods. might as well elect em in

Arman for mod of an invisible section!

*waves Canadian flag*

#25 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

OMG, if I lose my job, how am I going to pay for rent and to feed my 87 cats? I don't want to resort to cat cannibalism like last time.

lol, jk we don't get paid. We do get paid in being locked up in dank cellars and the occasional pizza party on a yacht. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users