• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#26 iKate

iKate
  • Cat Lady

• 1707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

I don't know, maybe cookies or muffins. I eat too much muffins. 

#27 Florg

Florg
  • 711 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

Never celebrated (participated? Not sure of the proper term) in Lent.

Not religious, almost religious-phobic. Lol

I don't really have many vices or things I could necessarily give upaside from Neopets. Haha.

I don't drink soda or eat many unhealthy foods. Don't smoke. Don't drink as much as I wish I could afford.
I could give up Neopets for 40 days....nah, who am I kidding. I'd probably go crazy bored.

I do spend way too much time on the computer but being broke, and not liking to watch tv, wtf else do I have to do? It's bitter cold outside. Lol

#28 Floofy

Floofy
  • 48 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

For my new years resolution I decided to give up reading the comments of controversy inducing articles... but I did horribly keeping up with that. :lol2:

When I used to be religious I'd always give up candy for Lent but I usually eat healthy anyway.

I could give up Neopets for 40 days....

Neva!!

#29 Speedracer

Speedracer
  • The Triforce of Herp

• 771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

For my new years resolution I decided to give up reading the comments of controversy inducing articles... but I did horribly keeping up with that. :lol2:

That is a great idea, although I would probably forget out of habitat

#30 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • ๐Ÿฑ ๐Ÿ’– ๐Ÿ„

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

Hey @Boggart and @Bone, remember when you gave up masturbation for Lent?

I won't be giving anything up because I am not religious, and because I have no self control.

Edited by Trichomes, 05 March 2014 - 02:04 PM.

#31 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

Lent, same as every year.

#32 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

Meat, soda, and candy. Soda is the hardest. But that's sort of the point.

I told my sister I was going to give up being an asshole for Lent and she said "Oh man. It's going to be a difficult Lent season." so I said, "Why? Are you giving up cheese puffs?" and I just know Jesus got mad at me for that.

I really hate seeing people wearing their ashes out in public. I feel like they're being prideful about their being Catholic, like LOOK AT ME I WENT TO CHURCH ON ASH WEDNESDAY, even though their punk ass probably hasn't been since Christmas. But what do I know? What are your thoughts on seeing people walking around the fuckin' grocery store with the mark of mortality and sin on their foreheads?

#33 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

I really hate seeing people wearing their ashes out in public. I feel like they're being prideful about their being Catholic, like LOOK AT ME I WENT TO CHURCH ON ASH WEDNESDAY, even though their punk ass probably hasn't been since Christmas. But what do I know? What are your thoughts on seeing people walking around the fuckin' grocery store with the mark of mortality and sin on their foreheads?

someone on facebook posted something about waking up with ash on their forehead and i was so confused.. i guess it's a religious thing? 

*off to google*

#34 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

I'd turn my head, but I wouldn't explode internally at the sight of ash on peoples' foreheads. I've seen like 2 people with ash on their forehead today in school. The most I've given them is a stare and a "Go You" thought inside my mind while I go on with my day, instantly forgetting about them until this was brought up. It's nothing to be blow away by.

#35 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • ๐Ÿฑ ๐Ÿ’– ๐Ÿ„

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

It's funny when you're out somewhere and you don't realize it's Ash Wednesday, and you see that first asshole walking around with ash on his or her forehead, and you just think they have dirt on their face until you see the next person later on.

#36 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

I agree with you when those bastards just wear the ashes to look good, but there are plenty of people who are genuine about being Catholic. It's hard to tell who's who unless if you get to talk to them, so don't judge on first impressions I guess :p

The thing is, I find it immodest. It's one thing to be proud of your religion... but it's LENT where you sacrifice and do penance, and you're not doing penance if you go get ash on your forehead and then go to the mall. We're told not to blow our own trumpets, and if we're being righteous, we shouldn't do it to be seen by others.

It's funny when you're out somewhere and you don't realize it's Ash Wednesday, and you see that first asshole walking around with ash on his or her forehead, and you just think they have dirt on their face until you see the next person later on.

lmao

#37 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

As a Catholic, I go to mass and get the ash as a reminder that we are mortal and we should spend our time bettering ourselves and helping others. When I get the cross on my forehead I didn't realize people think I'm an asshole for going out in public. Should I have stayed home today, and not gone to school and work? I don't run around the halls screaming look at my head, I don't look for any more attention than I do on any other day. I don't see anything wrong with going to church in the morning and participating in this ritual. I also don't think if you see someone at school or the mall they're there because they want you to see the ash, it's just because that's what they do. 

As for your point about people wearing marks of sin or whatever on their bodies, I don't give a fuck. Wear whatever you want. I'm not a Catholic because I think I'm better than you, or think you should be Catholic because I am. I do it because I agree with some of the teachings, and I think it's a positive factor in my life. 

#38 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

This, except I realized on the 10th(ish) person.

#39 Speedracer

Speedracer
  • The Triforce of Herp

• 771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

Not only Catholics do that; I think for most people they don't think about it being on their foreheads afterward. Personally it would be odd to wash off the ash just because you were going out somewhere in public. I don't see any difference between it and wearing a cross necklace or other religious accessories it is just wearing a symbol of your faith. 

#40 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:06 PM

Or when you try to be nice and point out the dirt on their face in case they didn't know and they give you a nasty look like you're the devil. 

Also, I find it kind of ridiculous that people get all defensive about ashes but then turn around and act like ignorant fucks when they see a hindu woman wearing a tikka on her forehead. 

#41 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

Also, I find it kind of ridiculous that people get all defensive about ashes but then turn around and act like ignorant fucks when they see a hindu woman wearing a tikka on her forehead.

A tikka? Isn't it called a bindi?

#42 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • ๐ŸดAioli-American๐Ÿด

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

Not only Catholics do that; I think for most people they don't think about it being on their foreheads afterward. Personally it would be odd to wash off the ash just because you were going out somewhere in public. I don't see any difference between it and wearing a cross necklace or other religious accessories it is just wearing a symbol of your faith. 

Methodists and Disciples of Christ do it too, I am decidedly not a Catholic and never have been.

I don't wash it off cause it messes up my makeup, but that isn't exactly a Christian attitude to have about it either. We do a night time service though, so I don't know what it's like wearing it all day. I choose to share God with people when they point out my 'dirty spot' instead of getting offended or mad about them showing me. 

#43 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

A tikka? Isn't it called a bindi?

Yeah, I guess bhindi is the common name, my grandparents always called them tikkas. There's probably a bunch of different names depending on where in india you look. 

#44 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

Yeah, I guess bhindi is the common name, my grandparents always called them tikkas. There's probably a bunch of different names depending on where in india you look.

Everyday I'm learnin'. That's interesting ^^ (Also, spelling fail -_-)

#45 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:14 PM

I'm learning lots too ^_^

#46 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:15 PM

Everyday I'm learnin'. That's interesting ^^ (Also, spelling fail -_-)

Its a fair question to ask, I'm learning too! I grew up just going along with customs b/c my parents made me but I'm now starting to learn about the reasoning behind the customs! 

I just realized how bad my spelling fail was!

#47 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:17 PM

I just realized how bad my spelling fail was!

I meant mine :p I didn't notice yours xD

#48 Applepi

Applepi
  • 1641 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:18 PM

I meant mine :p I didn't notice yours xD

you spelling bindi right, the word I spelled means okra :p

#49 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • ๐Ÿฑ ๐Ÿ’– ๐Ÿ„

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

Good, now I know I should avoid anything with "bhindi" in the name when I eat Indian food. Okra is gross.

#50 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

... :rofl:
That's amazing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users