Quantcast

Feminism

abortion feminism. debate

• Please log in to reply
334 replies to this topic

#201 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:47 PM

I have a name that could be either female or male because that information is lost in translation. Most of the time when I write people emails (e.g. to make oral exam appointments) they reply with "Mr." and assume that I'm male.

Except you're supposed to add a photo to your resume around here. I need to look it up whether that has changed but my guess is not.

Adding a photo sounds stupid. Why are you going to pick someone based on a photo?

#202 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:48 PM

Adding a photo sounds stupid. Why are you going to pick someone based on a photo?

Seems like an easy way to discriminate without having to bother with an interview.

#203 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:34 PM

Not really, some people look like cunts.

#204 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

Yes, it's stupid. But if it's the norm they might as well sort yours out because you don't add a photo. Unless the rest of your resume is really stellar.

#205 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:11 AM

Yes, it's stupid. But if it's the norm they might as well sort yours out because you don't add a photo. Unless the rest of your resume is really stellar.

Where do you live? If you don't mind me asking, i've just never heard of that

#206 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:37 AM

Where do you live? If you don't mind me asking, i've just never heard of that

Germany :|

#207 BAUNILY

BAUNILY
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:59 AM

Tumblr feminism is disgusting. Everything on Tumblr is disgusting, to be honest.

I believe feminism is needed for these women dying in the Middle East for being women. However, we, women of countries who guarantee us all the rights, don't need it. 

The whole "teach men to not rape" is stupid. Is like "teach people to not murder". The person who does it obviously knows it's wrong, but it doesn't make a shit difference.

#208 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:07 AM

I believe feminism is needed for these women dying in the Middle East for being women. However, we, women of countries who guarantee us all the rights, don't need it.

You are right. And then, suddenly, totally wrong.

The whole "teach men to not rape" is stupid. Is like "teach people to not murder". The person who does it obviously knows it's wrong, but it doesn't make a shit difference.

Really? So rape should just be an expected hazard that women need to be taught to deal with?
That's not the kind of world I want to accept as the best we can manage.

#209 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:09 AM

The problem is that some people don't know it's rape. Some people hear no and think to themselves she's just playing hard to get. Some people look at a woman in her tank top and short shorts and think she's easy, she'll totally go for sex. Some people see a woman dancing with them and they think she definitely wants my d.

This type of behaviour, these assumptions, is exactly the attitude that helps a person ignore the idea of consent, and especially informed consent. Educating people on what exactly is informed consent is absolutely the right way to go, imho.

Edited by Syntax, 02 May 2014 - 04:11 AM.

#210 BAUNILY

BAUNILY
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:17 AM

Let me explain my point:

With or without feminism rapes will occur. The type of rapist I was talking about was that kind of man who waits for a woman in a dark corner, grabs her and rapes her. This type of person does not give a damn if there are a bunch of women protesting or if there's some phrases about consent written on paper some wall. 

However, I think the whole consent thing is important, and I don't consider it a feminist issue at all, that's why I didn't mention.

No, I don't think feminism stands for women and men no matter what people tell, it has always been about women and I see nothing wrong with it. 

See these schoolgirls kidnapped in Africa? Why aren't the "feminists" making a fuss about it? Oh, they're too worried about that girl who was killed off by a mental ill boy because she refused his date, which has nothing to do with sexism. 

The old feminism fought for rights and rights only, and most of the countries guarantee them now, and feminists from these countries keep insisting that gender roles are more important than women being killed for being women. 

#211 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:55 AM

The old feminism fought for rights and rights only, and most of the countries guarantee them now, and feminists from these countries keep insisting that gender roles are more important than women being killed for being women.

Women are being killed BECAUSE of fucking gender roles.

#212 BAUNILY

BAUNILY
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:05 AM

Women are being killed BECAUSE of fucking gender roles.

Not in America. 

#213 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:06 AM

Not in America. 

Are you sure?

#214 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:08 AM

Not in America. 

Shall we hunt out the stats on deaths as a result of domestic violence? Just as an example.

#215 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

Let me explain my point:

With or without feminism rapes will occur. The type of rapist I was talking about was that kind of man who waits for a woman in a dark corner, grabs her and rapes her. This type of person does not give a damn if there are a bunch of women protesting or if there's some phrases about consent written on paper some wall. 

It's not just about enforcing it's about educating too.

However, I think the whole consent thing is important, and I don't consider it a feminist issue at all, that's why I didn't mention.

No, I don't think feminism stands for women and men no matter what people tell, it has always been about women and I see nothing wrong with it. 

"The whole consent thing" .. If you think it's important why are you making it sound so unimportant? Of course it can be a feminist issue.. are you suggesting that women are never raped because they are women and can't do anything about it? Because you'd be horribly mistaken.

See these schoolgirls kidnapped in Africa? Why aren't the "feminists" making a fuss about it? Oh, they're too worried about that girl who was killed off by a mental ill boy because she refused his date, which has nothing to do with sexism. 

Show me where there is evidence that no feminists have made a fuss about it. Also, what makes one case of sexism more severe than others? It's not that black and white.

Like prbm said, women are killed because of gender roles. I also haven't seen anyone protest that we should kill more women for being women so we can focus more on eliminating gender roles.. What are you even talking about?

Not in America. 

You should probably do some research, friend. You're coming off as very ignorant.

#216 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

Shall we hunt out the stats on deaths as a result of domestic violence? Just as an example.

I think that's more biological than societal.

#217 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:28 PM

You realize that if we teach people that, having sex with someone who says no, or someone who's asleep, drugged, or otherwise is wrong it still decreases the statistic yes? It's important to educate. this isn't just about stalking. Some people just don't know better and educating them can prevent such things from happening in those situations.

It does have purpose

#218 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:39 PM

You realize that if we teach people that, having sex with someone who says no, or someone who's asleep, drugged, or otherwise is wrong it still decreases the statistic yes? It's important to educate. this isn't just about stalking. Some people just don't know better and educating them can prevent such things from happening in those situations.

It does have purpose

Not directly related but, this reminds me of the guys who think "No means yes".

Directly related, I agree, education is important. Sometimes people may get confused on what consent means. They think if she doesn't say anything it's ok (because she's asleep/drugged/ect ) since she hasn't actually said "no" (she can't say no if she's drugged/ect).  If one can't give any kind of consent, or deny consent, due to whatever, it's not consent-able sex. (Does that make any sense?) 

#219 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

Not directly related but, this reminds me of the guys who think "No means yes".

Directly related, I agree, education is important. Sometimes people may get confused on what consent means. They think if she doesn't say anything it's ok (because she's asleep/drugged/ect ) since she hasn't actually said "no" (she can't say no if she's drugged/ect).  If one can't give any kind of consent, or deny consent, due to whatever, it's not consent-able sex. (Does that make any sense?) 

That's what I was referring to. And you make total sense, if someone doesn't know better, or it's seen as socially acceptable to do that, do you think they'd even think before doing it?

Hell no, put it in their heads that it's wrong. the ones with morals will stop themselves.

#220 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:37 PM

That's what I was referring to. And you make total sense, if someone doesn't know better, or it's seen as socially acceptable to do that, do you think they'd even think before doing it?

Hell no, put it in their heads that it's wrong. the ones with morals will stop themselves.

And the ones without morals can be hit with a giant blast of pepper spray. Or a well placed knee to the groin. I'm actually now thinking of title IX and the college campus rape/sexual assault issues, in regards to socially acceptable (it's not fully acceptable, but some colleges are doing a pretty bad job of making it look like it isn't acceptable). 

#221 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:48 PM

Bare in mind the vast, vast majority of the time a rapist will be a boyfriend/husband, friend or family member. There is too much focus on stranger rape and it very rarely happens.

#222 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:41 PM

Bare in mind the vast, vast majority of the time a rapist will be a boyfriend/husband, friend or family member. There is too much focus on stranger rape and it very rarely happens.

It still happens, thus education is important.

And the ones without morals can be hit with a giant blast of pepper spray. Or a well placed knee to the groin. I'm actually now thinking of title IX and the college campus rape/sexual assault issues, in regards to socially acceptable (it's not fully acceptable, but some colleges are doing a pretty bad job of making it look like it isn't acceptable). 

I know exactly what you mean.

#223 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

It still happens, thus education is important.

Not to the extent that some feminists claim.

#224 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

Not to the extent that some feminists claim.

Education is necessary regardless of the identity of the perpetrator. And it doesn't matter how frequently it happens - it happens, therefore we should take steps to reduce it.

#225 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:33 PM

Education is necessary regardless of the identity of the perpetrator. And it doesn't matter how frequently it happens - it happens, therefore we should take steps to reduce it.

That's exactly what I was saying.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users