Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:14 PM

As I Lay Dying. Good band. Good book.

#178 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:03 PM

Grandmother just sent me All The Light We Cannot See. I'm excited to get to it once I finish The Buried Giant.

Edited by Megazord, 06 May 2015 - 07:04 PM.

#179 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:13 AM

Can I just pause and ask how do you guys find the time? I literally have a crate of books to read. Literally. But I haven't been able to even make a dent in it because I do so much reading for school that I'm not in any place to read after that.

Also, on the topic of Neil Gaiman, the top of that book crate is a Neil Gaiman book but it's been so long I don't even remember. It's the one I got after Anansi Boys but Idk the title.

I carry books around with me. I have the kindle app on my phone, which helps. 

Also, I'm reading The Epigenetic Paleo Diet Bible and Swans Way

#180 pancakeface

pancakeface
  • 769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:44 PM

Spoiler

I used to read for a good hour before bed, at restaurants waiting for food, waiting for buses, riding the buses, etc.The weird thing? I still do that, but I'm just now realizing that I've been reading really frivolous things on my phone instead. Which is why I've not made any progress with my books, I guess I'm just reading so much for school that I need light readings for now.

Edited by argonate, 07 May 2015 - 05:45 PM.

#181 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:03 PM

On my phone, I try to rotate: frivolous, non-fiction, classic. Otherwise I'd just spend all my time reading erotica.

#182 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:35 PM

Starting neuromancer over as an audio book. Might get into it this time.

#183 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:41 PM

I gave my mom Unbroken, and I think I'm having separation anxiety (from the book). 

So now I'm reading American Sniper. 

#184 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:55 PM

Starting neuromancer over as an audio book. Might get into it this time.

I have to ask, how did you not get into it the first time? That book is amazing. It takes guts to create a universe, fill it with people and things and mannerisms and organizations, then end the book with a line intentionally conceived to preclude the idea of a sequel. Follow that with a sequel, and, well, mind blown.

Also, it's worth reading for historical significance. Gibson invented the term 'cyberspace', as well as the concept of 'jacking in,' virtual reality, and many others that we take for granted today.

#185 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:34 PM

I have to ask, how did you not get into it the first time? That book is amazing. It takes guts to create a universe, fill it with people and things and mannerisms and organizations, then end the book with a line intentionally conceived to preclude the idea of a sequel. Follow that with a sequel, and, well, mind blown.Also, it's worth reading for historical significance. Gibson invented the term 'cyberspace', as well as the concept of 'jacking in,' virtual reality, and many others that we take for granted today.

I understand all of that but in audio form it is hard to imagine everything along with following the story at the same time.

#186 electabots

electabots
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:27 AM

I have a nice list of books to read now thanks to y'all.

Currently reading Foundation's Fear(robot sci-fi mystery...thing)

#187 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:21 PM

I understand all of that but in audio form it is hard to imagine everything along with following the story at the same time.

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought that your first attempt was with a physical copy of the book. I did not realize that both times have been through audiobook.

I read it first in dead tree form, which probably made the audiobook easier to follow when I heard it. Even still, I often have to replay tracks if I'm listening to audiobooks in the car. It's harder to concentrate on audio sound if you're trying to do something else. A physical book demands your full attention if you're going to actually remember what you've read.

I stopped reading JLB again. His work has to be thoroughly digested if I'm going to make much sense of it. Now I'm re-reading Sun Tzu. Still plodding along with the Odyssey as well.

#188 Banshee

Banshee
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:11 PM

I'm reading Mr. Mercedes on a recommendation from my dad. He told me that it was a bit like Columbo so I was on board.

#189 Inky

Inky
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:31 AM

The Heir by Keira Cass.

Ya Dystopian novels are my guilty pleasure :x

Edited by Inky, 14 May 2015 - 03:31 AM.

#190 idkidkidkidkidk

idkidkidkidkidk
  • 66 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:40 PM

Currently anything from Creepypasta, can't get enough of the late night spooks :D

#191 Ghartun

Ghartun
  • 233 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:29 AM

The Heir by Keira Cass.

Ya Dystopian novels are my guilty pleasure :x

Did you said dystopian *goes search for this* hell yeah

#192 Inky

Inky
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:47 AM

Did you said dystopian *goes search for this* hell yeah

It's sort of a Dystopian version of The Bachelor. It sounds like a silly concept, but it's one of the more well-written YA Dystopian series.

The most similar thing I've read was the Matched series and that one got dull by the third book, unfortunately.

#193 IceNine

IceNine
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:57 PM

In between the busyness of school, I'm embarrassingly behind on reading. But I've started reading If on a winter's night a traveler by Italo Calvino. So far, so good! It's weird but I like weird. 

#194 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:39 AM

Still working on American Sniper. I'd probably be done by now if it wasn't the Kindle version. I like holding books in my hands. 

#195 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:49 AM

Still working through A Game of Thrones. I feel like I should just skip to book 5 at this point, but I know there are a lot of things I'll miss and I'll kick myself for it later. No I will not pull an @Adam and read the last 2 books only

#196 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:10 AM

Still working through A Game of Thrones. I feel like I should just skip to book 5 at this point, but I know there are a lot of things I'll miss and I'll kick myself for it later. No I will not pull an @Adam and read the last 2 books only

My friend told me I should read them (he has all of them he could lend me). I'm not sure yet. 

#197 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:53 PM

My friend told me I should read them (he has all of them he could lend me). I'm not sure yet.

This is my second time trying to get through it. It's proving to be very tedious.

#198 Lollita

Lollita
  • 801 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:38 AM

I'm reading Cold Veneance by Preston & Child (nice, so far)

#199 Savasana

Savasana
  • 121 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:43 AM

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt, for the second time. (Because it really is that good.)

This is my second time trying to get through it. It's proving to be very tedious.

I truly don't know how people get through the books. How many details and tiny tiny people and things can you possibly try to take interest in, in one book, without totally abandoning it?

#200 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:49 AM

I truly don't know how people get through the books. How many details and tiny tiny people and things can you possibly try to take interest in, in one book, without totally abandoning it?

I've read books before with a bunch of different characters and story lines going on, so it's not hard for me to manage it. It's just maybe I'm not in the mood to read so I can't get into it. That and I know most of what is going to happen from the show.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users