• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#26 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:46 PM

Awww, it sounds like they're going to have a lot of fun. Are they at bigger or smaller schools now?

The school is bigger but the classes are smaller.  Max of 20 kids per classroom.  The school district is really, really good.  Williamson County is known for its amazing school system, so I am very very glad that we made the decision to live here instead of a different county around Nashville.  Even though the rent is a bit higher, I can already tell the schools and community are amazing and I am super happy to be living here.

#27 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

I'm the same way. I write a lot better under pressure, but I need to get into gear because I can't do that with my capstone paper. 

Yeah, I recognise that it's not a good idea so you definitely should try not to do it (I always ended up relapsing back into it no matter how hard I tried :p). It might help if you set your own goals/targets ahead of when it's actually due (or even better if your tutor can do it for you), I did that on my dissertation and largely stuck to it.

#28 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:51 PM

To be fair, who hasn't woken up in the middle of the night worrying about Beethoven's string quartets? :rolleyes: Being a major procrastinator, it was mainly the whole having to plan things months ahead which annoyed me. I mean, for something which is due in August I had to start planning the year before...I ideally like to write my reports in 24-48 hours before they're due but you don't have that option when you've got to do surveys/interviews/etc, meet with tutors and write 25,000 words. :/

I was hyper-organised with my dissertation, having been a 5am writer the whole way through uni. Only bit of work I ever handed in early I think. Even my final recital I was still memorising the night before. :p I'd always been able to blag writing 2500-3000 words during the night before something was due in; I can memorise for performance incredibly quickly; I knew I'd have no hope panic-writing 10,000 words. I remember finishing it and being so angry that I hadn't been that way the whole way through uni...

#29 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:00 PM

I was hyper-organised with my dissertation, having been a 5am writer the whole way through uni. Only bit of work I ever handed in early I think. Even my final recital I was still memorising the night before. :p I'd always been able to blag writing 2500-3000 words during the night before something was due in; I can memorise for performance incredibly quickly; I knew I'd have no hope panic-writing 10,000 words. I remember finishing it and being so angry that I hadn't been that way the whole way through uni...

I always justify it with the fact that finishing things early has never resulted in better marks for me, I've never failed at anything even if I've only started it the night before it's due so why would I bother spending my drinking time to get it done earlier? :/ I've always been a single draft person anyway so I don't think I could handle rewriting things multiple times, never really understood that.

#30 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

I always justify it with the fact that finishing things early has never resulted in better marks for me, I've never failed at anything even if I've only started it the night before it's due so why would I bother spending my drinking time to get it done earlier? :/ I've always been a single draft person anyway so I don't think I could handle rewriting things multiple times, never really understood that.

Ah see, my dissertation was the highest mark I ever received for written work in all 4 years. :p I suspected it would have benefited me to be more organised....not that it would have changed my final degree anyway. Probably would have caused me a lot less stress though. If I went back I'd just treat it like a 9 to 5 job I think, I'd find it so easy now I'm used to structure and realise how nice it is not having to panic in the middle of the night!

#31 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

The school is bigger but the classes are smaller.  Max of 20 kids per classroom.  The school district is really, really good.  Williamson County is known for its amazing school system, so I am very very glad that we made the decision to live here instead of a different county around Nashville.  Even though the rent is a bit higher, I can already tell the schools and community are amazing and I am super happy to be living here.

Aw, good! Small classes are nice because the teacher can actually pay more attention to individual kids.

When I was about to enter kindergarten, my mom told me to choose between continuing going to my private Christian school or going to the public elementary school. I think my best friend was going to the public school, and I wanted to be with her or something. I chose the public elementary school (I don't think I actually had a choice) and my mom was happy because she could afford a new car with the money she wouldn't be using on tuition lol. 

---

I was actually a lot better at studying last semester and it paid off because I made the Dean's List. 

#32 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

Ah see, my dissertation was the highest mark I ever received for written work in all 4 years. :p I suspected it would have benefited me to be more organised....not that it would have changed my final degree anyway. Probably would have caused me a lot less stress though. If I went back I'd just treat it like a 9 to 5 job I think, I'd find it so easy now I'm used to structure and realise how nice it is not having to panic in the middle of the night!

Therein lies the difference, mine was my worst but all the drawing made up for it (ended up getting ~90% on the modules which involved significant colouring in time, they really should have let me do just that for my dissertation xD). :p Just glad I'll almost certainly never have to think of a dissertation ever again!

I was actually a lot better at studying last semester and it paid off because I made the Dean's List. 

Is your college anything like Community? Not sure being on the Dean's List would be quite so good in that case. :rolleyes:

#33 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

Therein lies the difference, mine was my worst but all the drawing made up for it (ended up getting ~90% on the modules which involved significant colouring in time, they really should have let me do just that for my dissertation xD). :p Just glad I'll almost certainly never have to think of a dissertation ever again!

Is your college anything like Community? Not sure being on the Dean's List would be quite so good in that case. :rolleyes:

Haha, I've never watched Community. What does it mean on there? Dean's List here is when you have a 3.5 gpa or higher (out of 4.0) and if you have a 4.0 GPA, then you make the President's List.

#34 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

Aww, good luck. I remember you talking about gathering things that you're going to teach them. Are they excited?

Jill's excited. Trinity isn't as excited. We actually do year-round, but lax summers. Trinity will get into it once we actually get into it again. She thrives on schedule and routine.

#35 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

Haha, I've never watched Community. What does it mean on there?

There's a task for you to do. ;) You'll see what I mean. :p

#36 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

There's a task for you to do. ;) You'll see what I mean. :p

I'm scared.

#37 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

I'm finishing up my last year this year and it's kind of blah to me since right after I graduate I'm going back to get my Masters. 

#38 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

You're a walking geography student stereotype.

#39 Lily

Lily
  • 279 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

I'll be moving in on August 22nd, and classes begin on August 28th...so yeah, very soon. I'm just hoping that I'll get good/reasonable professors.

#40 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

You're a walking geography student stereotype.

I'm not entirely sure what that stereotype is. xD

#41 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

I'm not entirely sure what that stereotype is. xD

Really lovely colouring. Don't do much besides colouring.

#42 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

Really lovely colouring. Don't do much besides colouring.

Oh, in that case, yeah, I'd totally fit that. :p Probably 90% of my time at uni was spent drinking, sleeping or colouring in tbh. :rolleyes:

#43 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

I don't remember how I felt in high school after the summer break. At uni, I looked forward to lectures because no lectures means it's exam time (which goes on for 2-3 months).

Now that I graduated from uni and recently started working, I'm not sure if I have more time than before because I often feel very exhausted after work. It's certainly relaxing to leave work behind mentally and not drag it back home like I did when I was writing my thesis.

#44 Nanarie

Nanarie
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:12 PM

What's your major?

I'm double majoring in marketing and supply chain management. :(

#45 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

I'm double majoring in marketing and supply chain management. :(

Wise. I wish I would have done something business related.

#46 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

Catching a flight to a different country for the next two semesters in less than three weeks, now. I should probably start working on packing, and registering for classes, and beginning to think about thinking. 

...nah.

#47 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:30 PM

Catching a flight to a different country for the next two semesters in less than three weeks, now. I should probably start working on packing, and registering for classes, and beginning to think about thinking. 

...nah.

Oh I forgot that you're coming to Edinburgh!! Excellent. It's fine, you'll just be drunk for 2 semesters.

#48 Nanarie

Nanarie
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

Wise. I wish I would have done something business related.

What is/was your major?

I originally wanted to go to school for fashion design. My dad got super angry and told me that I didn't have to bother with schooling if that's what I wanted to do. So to avoid disownment I settled on business. I admit it was a much smarter choice and I'm not going to be struggling (too much) for money in the future. 

#49 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

...nah.

Oooh. Where are you going?

Nevermind. Ali answered that I just clearly didn't read :p

Have fun!

#50 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

What is/was your major?

I originally wanted to go to school for fashion design. My dad got super angry and told me that I didn't have to bother with schooling if that's what I wanted to do. So to avoid disownment I settled on business. I admit it was a much smarter choice and I'm not going to be struggling (too much) for money in the future. 

I majored in political science with a minor in business. I spent two years working in elections before I switched over to the legal system where I have been employed for almost a year. If I could do it again I would have done something along the lines of economics, finance, accouting, etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users