• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

I start my senior year of college on Monday, and I'm kind of freaking out. The last three years went by sooooo fast. 

Is anyone else freaking out about their upcoming year of high school/college? Are you excited or completely dreading it? For those of you who are done with school, did you ever freak out? And what about the people with kids that will be going to school? (I don't want to leave anyone out :p)

#2 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

No. Being a grown up is a fuckload better than university ever was. Money is really nice and I like having it. All my free time is my own. Wouldn't go back if you paid me.

#3 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

Senior year of high school starts September 2nd for me. With 3 AP's and 2 Honors, I'm freaking out and dreading it but also looking forward to it. I rule the school now, Freshmen!

#4 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

I have 2 first graders and we're starting school Monday. I'm excited and freaking out, it's the first year where I have to keep track of things, but they're old enough to do a lot of fun things we didn't do before. I've decided to take two not for credit classes online, both having to do with history and literature. (One is Laura Ingalls Wilder and the other is the History of the Ozarks.) I'm excited about those two.

I've always freaked out about the first day of school, I absolutely hate meeting people.

#5 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

I never freaked out about anything related to school/college/uni, if anything I was blasé to the extent that it was almost certainly detrimental. :p

#6 Nanarie

Nanarie
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:46 PM

I'm starting my sophomore year of college in a week. The organization I was accepted in last semester is having a retreat before the year officially starts and I'm kind of nervous about making friends. I'm also nervous about my new roommate. 

But tbh actual academic-related stuff is meh. I've already been through 13 years of it so it's getting old. 

#7 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:49 PM

No. Being a grown up is a fuckload better than university ever was. Money is really nice and I like having it. All my free time is my own. Wouldn't go back if you paid me.

It sucks because I would continue my education if I could afford it. Stupid tuition. 

I think part of the reason I'm freaking out is because I have to take my first science in four years (last one I took was junior year of high school) so... I'm not looking forward to that. Other than that, I'm taking... Brand Strategy & Advertising, Journalism Law and Ethics, Interpersonal Communication Foundations, and Evolution of Broadcast News. I like all of these things. Science is just... bleh. I'm glad I got the one math class I have to take for my major out of the way freshman year.

#8 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:49 PM

I'm starting my sophomore year of college in a week. The organization I was accepted in last semester is having a retreat before the year officially starts and I'm kind of nervous about making friends. I'm also nervous about my new roommate. 

But tbh actual academic-related stuff is meh. I've already been through 13 years of it so it's getting old. 

What's your major?

#9 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

It sucks because I would continue my education if I could afford it. Stupid tuition. 

I think part of the reason I'm freaking out is because I have to take my first science in four years (last one I took was junior year of high school) so... I'm not looking forward to that. Other than that, I'm taking... Brand Strategy & Advertising, Journalism Law and Ethics, Interpersonal Communication Foundations, and Evolution of Broadcast News. I like all of these things. Science is just... bleh. I'm glad I got the one math class I have to take for my major out of the way freshman year.

I guess the important thing would be to think about what career you actually want and if a degree is really necessary to get into that field (and the right degree, of course). There's no point in doing a degree just for the sake of doing it, you'll just end up wasting your time and your money.

#10 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

At the start of September, I'm going to be heading back to my 6th form for my final year, then onto uni the next year. I'm quite excited to get back into my work, especially now that I can drop one of my classes and focus (primarily) on stuff that challenges me and that I actually care about. :D

Although, I will have to do a few resits of this year's exams next year... which I'm kinda worried about. Thankfully, they're in Maths/Further Maths, which is a lot easier than retaking any of my other subjects. :p

#11 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed education and I'd learn forever and wish I had more time to take a formal interest in things I know nothing about...but I love my job, I really like having money and not having to live like a student (not that the Boy and I ever really did), and I like that if I'm up at 3am it's never going to be because I'm panicking about some crappy essay that I didn't bother to write earlier.

Yeah, see, we don't get all that over here...you pick what degree you want to do at 18 and that's that. I did a degree in Music and so I took nothing but music classes for 4 years. I would have absolutely despised majoring.

At the start of September, I'm going to be heading back to my 6th form for my final year, then onto uni the next year. I'm quite excited to get back into my work, especially now that I can drop one of my classes and focus (primarily) on stuff that challenges me and that I actually care about. :D

See, sixth form I probably would go back to quite happily.

#12 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:03 PM

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed education and I'd learn forever and wish I had more time to take a formal interest in things I know nothing about...but I love my job, I really like having money and not having to live like a student (not that the Boy and I ever really did), and I like that if I'm up at 3am it's never going to be because I'm panicking about some crappy essay that I didn't bother to write earlier.

Yeah, see, we don't get all that over here...you pick what degree you want to do at 18 and that's that. I did a degree in Music and so I took nothing but music classes for 4 years. I would have absolutely despised majoring.

See, sixth form I probably would go back to quite happily.

Yeah, that makes sense. I'd rather be able to learn all that I want without all of the pressures. 

And yes, it really sucks. We have a "core curriculum" that we have to complete before we can graduate. For my major it was three English classes, one math class, a science and a lab, humanistic concepts (I took literature & culture and intro to philosophy), two years of languages (Spanish), world politics, history, psychology, and art. All of this on top of your major classes and your minor classes. We also had to take a "first year experience" class freshman year where I learned how to do an annotated bibliography that I have never once had to do again. 

#13 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

Yeah, that makes sense. I'd rather be able to learn all that I want without all of the pressures. 

And yes, it really sucks. We have a "core curriculum" that we have to complete before we can graduate. For my major it was three English classes, one math class, a science and a lab, humanistic concepts (I took literature & culture and intro to philosophy), two years of languages (Spanish), world politics, history, psychology, and art. All of this on top of your major classes and your minor classes. We also had to take a "first year experience" class freshman year where I learned how to do an annotated bibliography that I have never once had to do again. 

I don't even know how I'd begin to pick so many classes, I was barely interested in the one I did do thaaaaat much. :p Seems like it'd be a complete waste of time to be doing all of these other subjects, most of which aren't even related to your major. O_o

#14 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:07 PM

I haven't had a mandatory class since I was 16. :p At 16 we whittle our subjects down to 3 or 4 until we're 18 and then pick our degree. Such a simple system! Bit problematic in that you're constantly shutting options off by cutting out various subjects completely but no having to study anything you didn't bring on yourself...

I don't even know how I'd begin to pick so many classes, I was barely interested in the one I did do thaaaaat much. :p Seems like it'd be a complete waste of time to be doing all of these other subjects, most of which aren't even related to your major. O_o

Hush, you loved colouring in.

#15 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

All of my college classes were mandatory, they basically had the whole thing outlined and I took the classes as they were available. I did add in some spare literature courses for fun though.

#16 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

Hush, you loved colouring in.

I'll admit that was quite a nice part of it, I got my best marks in the bits where I could just draw stuff instead of having to do all that report/essay malarkey. :p

All of my college classes were mandatory, they basically had the whole thing outlined and I took the classes as they were available. I did add in some spare literature courses for fun though.

Over here you don't even really need to turn up. I spent half of my first year at uni either hungover or asleep because the first year doesn't reaaaally count for anything.

#17 anewvision

anewvision
  • 1195 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

Yesss T___T my last year too... I kinda hate you for reminding me hahaha but I'm equally excited to return ^-^ I do enjoy keeping busy

#18 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

I'll admit that was quite a nice part of it, I got my best marks in the bits where I could just draw stuff instead of having to do all that report/essay malarkey. :p

I CHOSE to write a dissertation. Why? My whole degree was designed to avoid Actual Work and yet I kept picking Actual Work modules.

#19 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:17 PM

They give you a list to choose from. Well, with math and language you have to place into certain classes. I placed into the lowest math class, but I had a great professor so I passed. Besides, most of them were alright. I like history and politics. It's just math and science that I despise. But here's an example:

Spoiler

#20 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

I'm with Ali on this one. It was a unique experience but never once have I wanted to go back or do it over in exchange for my life now. Being an adult and having a paycheck and a stable career is much more desirable IMO. I would have liked to have majored in something else, and things like that, but to just be back in school and living the whole college life, I have to say I am much happier now. I hate my job, I hate bills, and I hate having adult responsibilities sure, but the money is nice, and it's good to be able to finally justify earning a degree in the first place. I needed it so I could get a job, I needed a job so I could get a car and a house, eventually a family, so it's great to see those parts of my adult life coming together.

Edited by talbs, 16 August 2014 - 01:25 PM.

#21 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

I CHOSE to write a dissertation. Why? My whole degree was designed to avoid Actual Work and yet I kept picking Actual Work modules.

Try having to write two of them. :p And not a single drawing in sight, 100 pages of text interspersed with the occasional pie chart, I hate dissertations. :(

#22 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:29 PM

Try having to write two of them. :p And not a single drawing in sight, 100 pages of text interspersed with the occasional pie chart, I hate dissertations. :(

In the 3 years since I left university, I have woken up in the middle of the night on 3 separate occasions panicking about Beethoven's string quartets. That dissertation broke something in my brain.

#23 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:34 PM

My kids are starting kindergarten and first grade this year. I'm glad that the younger one gets to do a more structured school-like curriculum now. She's totally ready for it. I feel like she has been languishing in the pre-k's that she's been forced to go through because she wasn't old enough for Real School yet. My first grader I have such high hopes for, she's super smart and enjoys learning and reading. Both of the kids will have homework every night in our new school district (like 10 minutes a night), which I am super happy but kind of scared about.

Up until this point we've been kind of bad about keeping up with the girls' school stuff (checking backpacks, attending functions, filling out forms, sending in notes, that kind of stuff). We plan to be better about it this year, and I think being in a school district now that focuses on communication with the parents instead of the lazy offhanded school system we were in before will really help both us and the kids. I think that's a big part of the reason that we sucked so bad at it last year - frequently we would get mixed messages from the school or just no communication whatsoever so we were kind of lost on what to do for most of the year.

#24 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

In the 3 years since I left university, I have woken up in the middle of the night on 3 separate occasions panicking about Beethoven's string quartets. That dissertation broke something in my brain.

To be fair, who hasn't woken up in the middle of the night worrying about Beethoven's string quartets? :rolleyes: Being a major procrastinator, it was mainly the whole having to plan things months ahead which annoyed me. I mean, for something which is due in August I had to start planning the year before...I ideally like to write my reports in 24-48 hours before they're due but you don't have that option when you've got to do surveys/interviews/etc, meet with tutors and write 25,000 words. :/

#25 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

I have 2 first graders and we're starting school Monday. I'm excited and freaking out, it's the first year where I have to keep track of things, but they're old enough to do a lot of fun things we didn't do before. I've decided to take two not for credit classes online, both having to do with history and literature. (One is Laura Ingalls Wilder and the other is the History of the Ozarks.) I'm excited about those two.

I've always freaked out about the first day of school, I absolutely hate meeting people.

Aww, good luck. I remember you talking about gathering things that you're going to teach them. Are they excited? 

My kids are starting kindergarten and first grade this year. I'm glad that the younger one gets to do a more structured school-like curriculum now. She's totally ready for it. I feel like she has been languishing in the pre-k's that she's been forced to go through because she wasn't old enough for Real School yet. My first grader I have such high hopes for, she's super smart and enjoys learning and reading. Both of the kids will have homework every night in our new school district (like 10 minutes a night), which I am super happy but kind of scared about.

Up until this point we've been kind of bad about keeping up with the girls' school stuff (checking backpacks, attending functions, filling out forms, sending in notes, that kind of stuff). We plan to be better about it this year, and I think being in a school district now that focuses on communication with the parents instead of the lazy offhanded school system we were in before will really help both us and the kids. I think that's a big part of the reason that we sucked so bad at it last year - frequently we would get mixed messages from the school or just no communication whatsoever so we were kind of lost on what to do for most of the year.

Awww, it sounds like they're going to have a lot of fun. Are they at bigger or smaller schools now?

I ideally like to write my reports in 24-48 hours before they're due but you don't have that option when you've got to do surveys/interviews/etc, meet with tutors and write 25,000 words. :/

I'm the same way. I write a lot better under pressure, but I need to get into gear because I can't do that with my capstone paper. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users