Wife Rejects $974 Million Check

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#26 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:37 PM

Page not found. Why do you tease me like this.

Sorry, edited the original post.^^

http://www.worthytos...-a-rich-husband

#27 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:39 PM

I don't have nearly this amount of money, but you bet your ass that my wife is signing a prenup before we get married...if I ever get married. There's so many scandalous people out there; trust no one. If she doesn't want to sign a prenup...welp CYA.

You should likely never get married then since more prenups are thrown out than are upheld. The average person would be laughed at if they asked for a prenup as well. Best bet is to live in a place where common-law marriage isn't observed and simply never marry your partner.

I found a quote that may put it into perspective. 

That speaks best to the principal of it all, I definitely agree =)

#28 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:43 PM

I find nothing wrong with rejecting the money :/

I'm starting to feel that way too. Lots of good points in this thread, despite some of them being written in an inflammatory way.

#29 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:44 PM

You should likely never get married then since more prenups are thrown out than are upheld. The average person would be laughed at if they asked for a prenup as well. Best bet is to live in a place where common-law marriage isn't observed and simply never marry your partner.

My thought behind that is as such; if you're not with me for the money then what's the harm in signing the prenup? Why would I be laughed at for asking for one, other than most of them are thrown out in court.

#30 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:49 PM

My thought behind that is as such; if you're not with me for the money then what's the harm in signing the prenup? Why would I be laughed at for asking for one, other than most of them are thrown out in court.

Because most peoples assets aren't worth getting a prenup for.

I would never sign a prenup or ask someone for one. If I am prepared to make that commitment to someone and it fails I deserve to lose at least half. Save for things like fraud, infidelity, etc. Those things are typically frowned upon by judges and they take it into consideration with the split of marital assets. 

I'm not saying you personally would be laughed at btw, it was more of a general comment. Not a personal attack btw :3 just wanted to clarify!

#31 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:53 PM

Because most peoples assets aren't worth getting a prenup for.

I would never sign a prenup or ask someone for one. If I am prepared to make that commitment to someone and it fails I deserve to lose at least half. Save for things like fraud, infidelity, etc. Those things are typically frowned upon by judges and they take it into consideration with the split of marital assets. 

I'm not saying you personally would be laughed at btw, it was more of a general comment. Not a personal attack btw :3 just wanted to clarify!

I know it's not a personal attack, the words "you", and "your" etc are used loosely :].

So if you've done nothing significantly wrong that warrants a divorce, you'd be perfectly fine losing half of everything? I don't get why a court gets to determine how much something is worth to me. (ex) $20,000 over the next 5 years may not be a lot to a judge, but it sure as hell is a lot to me.

Not-so-secret Edit: I found these little facts that will invalidate a prenup.

Spoiler

Sauce: http://www.forbes.co...ght-be-invalid/

I guess my distrust in others, and hatred for the institution of marriage has made me bitter about even entertaining the idea of ever marrying someone.

#32 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:01 PM

I know it's not a personal attack, the words "you", and "your" etc are used loosely :].

So if you've done nothing significantly wrong that warrants a divorce, you'd be perfectly fine losing half of everything? I don't get why a court gets to determine how much something is worth to me. (ex) $20,000 over the next 5 years may not be a lot to a judge, but it sure as hell is a lot to me.

That is exactly what I am saying. I think reasons like 'we grew apart' or 'we don't love each other like we used to' you know the typical things you hear are complete and total BS. You made vows, you agreed to be married. If you can't stick to your commitment than you shouldn't be able to just walk away from it. That's just my personal opinion. I think people get married too soon, too young and to people they don't really know well enough. 

Eh I don't really know. I mean honestly if I married a rich person I wouldn't want their dirty money unless he screwed me over than I'd go to the ends of the earth to burn them :) 

#33 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:19 AM

For me, asking for a prenup brings-to-light a lot of signs why you shouldn't marry the person asking for one. Mind you, there are always the three big issues that affect every marriage. Money, family, and fidelity. I feel that, someone who asks for a prenup, may have insecurities that can greatly affect the marriage, trust issues, and issues with sharing. BUT, I have many friends who have married people that have a complete 180 when they decided to get divorced. False claims of domestic abuse, infidelity, and child neglect.

#34 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:40 AM

I wouldn't have any issue signing a prenup, even though I'm broke. In the event that something would happen, I'd want to hold onto my house so my kids wouldn't be homeless no matter what.

#35 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:51 PM

I would never want a pre-nup in my marriage. In my mind, if you're entertaining that idea then you're also entertaining the notion that you're marriage will fail, which I would never want to think. I have no plans to ever jump in a marriage, and I plan on being with someone for at least two-three years before we get married so I know I really want to be with them. I understand that signing one is just covering your bases in case things go wrong, but when you're planning on marrying someone the only thought you should have is how wonderful it's going to be spending the rest of your life with the person you love.

#36 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:19 PM

UNTIL THEY TURN INTO A CHEATING LYING PIECE OF SHIT AND TAKE HALF OF EVERYTHING YOU OWN AND LEAVE YOU IN A CARDBOARD BOX AND A TRASHED VAN.

#37 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:20 PM

Personal experience?

#38 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:21 PM

Nah, premonition.

#39 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:36 PM

The problem with pre-nups, and why they're often not enforceable is that you're deciding the conditions for a situation you don't know yet.

For instance, my friend is 26 and a junior lawyer, 2 years qualified, currently earning about £65k/year She works for a firm where the partners are taking home 7 figure salaries. Her partner is a junior partner about 10 years her senior. If they marry, and she gives up her career to have and raise 3 children, would it be fair in 20 years to say she's entitled to absolutely nothing on the basis of a pre-nup she signs at the very beginning?

We don't know what she's contributed to that relationship, what she gave up for it, what part HE played in her choices (perhaps she was encouraged to be reliant on his wealth), what happened to her...so so many variables. Maybe she should get more and maybe the courts will decide that. Maybe she's just being greedy. I don't think we can call it based on what you know.

#40 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:37 PM

I would never want a pre-nup in my marriage. In my mind, if you're entertaining that idea then you're also entertaining the notion that you're marriage will fail, which I would never want to think. I have no plans to ever jump in a marriage, and I plan on being with someone for at least two-three years before we get married so I know I really want to be with them. I understand that signing one is just covering your bases in case things go wrong, but when you're planning on marrying someone the only thought you should have is how wonderful it's going to be spending the rest of your life with the person you love.

That's all fine and dandy of course, and maybe -your- idea of marriage is being happy forever and ever, but what about the other person? Who knows their 'true' feelings, and their agenda.

#41 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:45 PM

That's all fine and dandy of course, and maybe -your- idea of marriage is being happy forever and ever, but what about the other person? Who knows their 'true' feelings, and their agenda.

...this was really depressing to read.

#42 jinq

jinq
  • 1554 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:55 PM

While I think it sounds ludicrous at first that she would reject this cheque there is a lot to take into consideration.

Why they settled on this amount?

Giving her more would potentially cause him to have to dissolve certain assets which could force him to lose majority in his business. (Haven't read about this case in months but that was the case at first.)

I fully agree that she should have rejected it. However, she is also the one to file for the divorce so that is something else to take into consideration in the matter.

In my eyes, once you are married whatever you once had is no longer 'yours' it is 'ours.' Therefore, I don't care if he had all 18 billion before they got married, if he didn't want to part with half his money he never should of married (he didn't have the 18 billion but he had quite a substantial amount.) 

I'll continue to avoid being with people of certain socioeconomic circumstances because I can't imagine being ripped apart like this woman is and the butt of jokes because she is fighting for what she deserves on principal. 

I'm sure a lot of rich guys sign prenups to protect whatever they had before their marriage. I do believe whatever they earned after the marriage should be shared though.

#43 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:00 PM

In my eyes, once you are married whatever you once had is no longer 'yours' it is 'ours.' Therefore, I don't care if he had all 18 billion before they got married, if he didn't want to part with half his money he never should of married (he didn't have the 18 billion but he had quite a substantial amount.)

I don't like thinking that entering into a marriage means agreeing to forfeit half my prenuptial assets if something goes wrong down the line.

That said, I agree with what you later said about living in partnership without the married title, or living where common marriage isn't recognized. I wouldn't get married legally, I'd have a ceremony for the right girl though.

I'm of the opinion that marriage exists today largely as a vehicle for population control and child rearing (we have tax credits for having children) rather than any sanctimonious religious practice. At least in a legal mindset. From that perspective, I think of it more like a business partnership insofar as money is concerned.

I see no reason for each partner to want to protect themselves from future bad events. Like @Ali said, it's hard to predict future assets, but I think of a prenuptial agreement as an agreement about current assets and future partnerships. Like agreements about how to split future co-owned property and assets. They should be strictly financial in my opinion, none of that funny business about hair color or weight gain or future children.

I don't have nearly this amount of money, but you bet your ass that my wife is signing a prenup before we get married...if I ever get married. There's so many scandalous people out there; trust no one. If she doesn't want to sign a prenup...welp CYA.

I mean I understand where you're coming from, really I do. Buut...

Divorce laws are set to be in favor of women, and more often than not the man in the relationship will end up with less parental rights than the woman does. This is another reason why I'm so hesitant on even entertaining the idea of marriage when it comes that time. Where's feminism to fight for equal rights for both men and women?

Women are held to a higher standard when it comes to responsibility for their offspring. The law compensates them for that in ways that cannot ever make up for what they do. I mean get real - you came out of someone's body.

#44 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:36 PM

Breh, you got some trust issues.

#45 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:01 PM

Or he's just realistic and pratical. Can you ever really know somebody? No, not at all. People get screwed over daily, so if you're particularly wealthy, it's a good idea.

#46 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:05 PM

Dunno how I'd feel about a pre-nup. I'd have to actually be successful and make some money that could potentially be taken from me first. However, I don't like the idea of thinking about a divorce before even getting married. At the same time, people can be realllyyyyy nasty when it comes to divorce. You could be married to and love someone for years and end up being screwed over in the end. Baffles me how you can do that to someone you claim to have loved, even if you don't anymore.

#47 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:52 PM

Or he's just realistic and pratical. Can you ever really know somebody? No, not at all. People get screwed over daily, so if you're particularly wealthy, it's a good idea.

But what's a marriage if you're wondering your partner's 'true' feelings? Difference between being realistic or being insecure/paranoid. If you have thoughts about getting a prenup just to protect yourself from a possible nasty divorce later on you probably should not be getting married in the first place. You can't know everything that goes on in your partner's head. But if you can't trust them enough to know they always have your best interest in mind then don't put yourself in that situation.

#48 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:02 PM

That's human nature unfortunately, it's why people suddenly kill themselves after 20 years of marriage with no note, it's why people have affairs.

I've seen it first hand with my uncle, this bitch was saving up money behind his back and almost got him kicked out of his own house (he had paid off the mortgage on his own and with his ex-wife) because she had two kids from her pervious marriage that had minor learning difficulties

#49 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:20 PM

Fortunately marriages today are moving away from one person being the bread-winner while the other becomes the homemaker. A lot of couples are consisted of both people having jobs so the financial loads are shared equally. My wife and I both get paid exactly the same, our bills are split evenly, and we each have one of our two cars in our name. Our assets, combined, probably only equal out to a little over $100k because we still live in an apartment. We both have access to each other's bank accounts and are always upfront about how much we're saving and spending. So not every marriageBut I have always told my wife, jokingly, if we ever get a divorce she could take everything. All I need is my gaming computer, truck, and the dog. Although a lot of marriages go sour not all of them crash and burn. :p

#50 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:55 PM

That's human nature unfortunately, it's why people suddenly kill themselves after 20 years of marriage with no note, it's why people have affairs.

I've seen it first hand with my uncle, this bitch was saving up money behind his back and almost got him kicked out of his own house (he had paid off the mortgage on his own and with his ex-wife) because she had two kids from her pervious marriage that had minor learning difficulties

Sounds like my uncle. His ex wife is an evil bitch... and he just got remarried to someone just like her. Thankfully, he bought his house before he married the first one so she couldn't claim that - even though she tried - but she pretty much got everything inside the house as well as most of his money. He also hasn't seen his kids in a year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users