• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#26 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:07 AM

This "apocalypse" has already happened to neocodex at least once before. Site activity dropped to only the same few dozen people and there were only a handful of programs. That definitely didn't stop me from joining (hint: it was the solid small community that made me participate in the first place).

As for money, this site originally didn't have subscriptions. The owner, Hydrogen, didn't care that he was paying out of pocket for one of his projects and a small old community. Subscriptions only happened because users were begging for it. They wanted the benefits that established members got from Abrosia and offered to pay for it. NC Card sales don't matter too much. It brings in money but it isn't needed to keep the site up. If neopets shuts down for good, we will adapt and live on with the members that enjoy the community.

#27 Oktober

Oktober
  • Team ASS

• 318 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:13 AM

This "apocalypse" has already happened to neocodex at least once before. Site activity dropped to only the same few dozen people and there were only a handful of programs. That definitely didn't stop me from joining (hint: it was the solid small community that made me participate in the first place).

As for money, this site originally didn't have subscriptions. The owner, Hydrogen, didn't care that he was paying out of pocket for one of his projects and a small old community. Subscriptions only happened because users were begging for it. They wanted the benefits that established members got from Abrosia and offered to pay for it. NC Card sales don't matter too much. It brings in money but it isn't needed to keep the site up. If neopets shuts down for good, we will adapt and live on with the members that enjoy the community.

I am also pretty sure some/most of the members would be willing to pay a dollar or two from time to time to keep the site running, if that would be necessary.

Me included.

"Please Read: A personal appeal from Neocodex founder Hydrogen"..

#28 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:52 AM

As long as topics like this keep popping up, Codex will never die.

Over the last few years we have adapted, and grown to suit basic needs of those who play other games. Yes Neoshits is a big part of Codex's income, but just because Neo, which has been on the decline for the longest time now, is shitting it's diaper doesn't mean we throw the whole outfit away. Codex will grow, and adapt if Neo goes down, you better believe that the people who actually care about the forum, and it's history will be here to make it work.

#29 ausername

ausername
  • 119 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:02 AM

For the record, I came here for Neopets nearly five years ago.

I only play Neopets, I have no time for other frivolous games that are not virtual pets.

I pay for the site for Neopets related things and only Neopets related things. I don't talk to strangers.

I don't read forums not related to my Neopets' NEEDS, not wants, NEEDS.

In the event that Neopets shuts down, I quit the internet.

I am going to Jumpstarts headquarters in WhereEver land and protesting and I encourage you all to join me.

*tries to be the most melodramatic*

And honestly, I think maybe I have AB'd like 10 things in the last year - it really doesn't work for me. I don't have the time or energy to figure all of the proxies and junk out - I don't even know why I pay for this site... 

I just do... You're welcome.

#30 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:13 AM

If neo shuts down, you quit the internet? God speed!

#31 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:23 AM

I'm really, REALLY sick of hearing bullshit like this...pardon my being so blunt, but yeah. Major facepalm to you: Neocodex is a lot more than JUST Neopets...and this melodramatic post is laughable.

@Swarley, love the sarcasm. ;) :wub:  

Until there is a concerted effort to create programs for games which are surviving and thriving, and an effort to market those games and Codex to the appropriate user bases, this site would have a very difficult time surviving the end of Neopets, imo.

#32 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:26 AM

I came for neopets too, nearly 3 years ago. However, I've found I love the community so much, that I wouldn't leave even if we lost the neopets part of our website. Plus, we have other games here, Flight Rising, Minecraft, Hearthstone...ect. We'll be just fine.

#33 Maleire

Maleire
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:44 AM

I do agree with some of the things Syntax said. Most of the members join this forum because of neopets. Even if neocodex continues to run after neopets is closed down, there will be a lot less active members.

However after joining, many also get to knbow some new friends, it become a community here. It will be sad to see either neopets or neocodex goes down, personally I do not mind to pay a few dollars each month to keep both sites running (for Advance here and Premium in neopets). I lost many good friends when 3vo closed down and when I quit playing neopets some years back. I would hate to see that happen again.

Edited by Maleire, 08 March 2015 - 08:46 AM.

#34 Nothingtown

Nothingtown
  • 174 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:52 AM

welcome to the party...this has been known for 5 months already, since the massive duping

neocodex probably wouldn't die if neopets shut down though, but of course its activity would take a hit

i already see this place discuss flight rising as well as RL stuff more than it does neopets as it is

#35 Unmata

Unmata
  • 714 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:18 AM

lets give legit players something to cling to. If Neopets gets taken down it's now all our fault. 

#36 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:19 AM

The issue is our programmers have all grown up and don't have as much time to write programs for a children's game like they did five years ago. Without them there's no substance to reel new users in.

If we're going to thrive after neopets dies we're either going to need to be one kickass community somehow, or dig up some programmers for games that aren't as popular. Flight Rising is the only one, but that game has minimal to do,and also wouldn't bring in as big a crowd with the bigger risk of getting caught cheating.

#37 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:23 AM

This is a stealth dating site. No one here plays neo.

#38 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:24 AM

The issue is our programmers have all grown up and don't have as much time to write programs for a children's game like they did five years ago. Without them there's no substance to reel new users in.

If we're going to thrive after neopets dies we're either going to need to be one kickass community somehow, or dig up some programmers for games that aren't as popular. Flight Rising is the only one, but that game has minimal to do,and also wouldn't bring in as big a crowd with the bigger risk of getting caught cheating.

Would minecraft be a good option? If not we could try and expand to games that aren't site based, like Maplestory, WoW..ect. That's really all I can think of.

If I could find a good programming book, I'd try and help out sometimes.

#39 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:26 AM

The problem with minecraft is that there's nothing to cheat on. Unless you try to cheat on servers, but that's not as fun as cheating on neo :/

#40 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:27 AM

Would minecraft be a good option? If not we could try and expand to games that aren't site based, like Maplestory, WoW..ect. That's really all I can think of.
If I could find a good programming book, I'd try and help out sometimes.

If just legitly focusing on games I'm unsure how popular we'd be.

It all depends on how far the site wants to go in support programs for multiplayer games. Ones for Minecraft or MMOs more directly affect players and I can't see too many "hacks" being supported unless the site was about to die.

#41 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:35 AM

If just legitly focusing on games I'm unsure how popular we'd be.

It all depends on how far the site wants to go in support programs for multiplayer games. Ones for Minecraft or MMOs more directly affect players and I can't see too many "hacks" being supported unless the site was about to die.

I didn't mean legit. I'd recommend Subeta, but I've heard they're very good with catching cheaters, plus, I don't know how many people would be interested in hacks for that. As for MMO's, would just a training/leveling program have that big of an affect on players? With a program like that, it would seem like it would mainly only affect the person using it.

#42 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:54 AM

I didn't mean legit. I'd recommend Subeta, but I've heard they're very good with catching cheaters, plus, I don't know how many people would be interested in hacks for that. As for MMO's, would just a training/leveling program have that big of an affect on players? With a program like that, it would seem like it would mainly only affect the person using it.

We'd definitely need to decide on games to focus on and somehow get programmers that both know how to and also want to program for the games.

At least for Maplestory just a simple macro program wouldn't be enough because the enemies spawn all over the map so we actually have to be an ass to other players in the area with hacks that pull all the monsters to you or teleport you all over the area. Which of course is pretty easily auto bannable if not used properly.

#43 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:32 AM

Nobody needs to have any concerns regarding site finances, they're well managed. If the worst does happen we'll just pawn the yacht, again.

#44 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:50 AM

but what if it isn't bullshit?

Considering Waser just said everything would be fine, so I'm inclined to believe him over the drama mongering, thank you very much.

#45 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:08 AM

Considering Waser just said everything would be fine, so I'm inclined to believe him over the drama mongering, thank you very much.

Just to clarify for scaremongering people like @ortin, if we had to cut our expenses to the bone (i.e. just the essentials like hosting and domain registration etc) we could keep going for years with no revenue so there's definitely no need to worry.

#46 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:12 AM

Waser has spoken, no need to worry, mere mortals!

#47 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:14 AM

I hope so because where would we go to see dancing badgers? :/

#48 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:17 AM

I occasionally tour gentlemen's clubs across the US and Europe as a feature dancer.

#49 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:18 AM

I'd say almost anywhere else on the internet at this point.

#50 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:25 AM

^ what a blasphemy. My eyes are bleeding. 

I occasionally tour gentlemen's clubs across the US and Europe as a feature dancer.

Those moves can keep Codex up indefinitely, then. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users