stuff you don't understand

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#26 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:25 AM

One thing I've never understood is the entire concept of jewellery, excluding wedding and engagement rings (which are obviously symbolic). Are people meant to look more attractive when they have shiny bits of metal/gems in/on them? O_o I don't get it at all.

#27 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:47 AM

One thing I've never understood is the entire concept of jewellery, excluding wedding and engagement rings (which are obviously symbolic). Are people meant to look more attractive when they have shiny bits of metal/gems in/on them? O_o I don't get it at all.

I'm not sure. I wear my wedding ring and a necklace with a shell casing from my late brother's 21 gun salute. But besides that, jewelry is forgettable to me. I can barely remember to put my fucking nose ring back in whenever it falls out during my sleep. xD I have a few necklaces I like but I rarely wear them and they are nerdy things like a synapse. I don't think jewelry for me makes someone more attractive. But I guess it could for someone else?

#28 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:27 AM

I think it works like any other article of clothing, you might like wearing a specific shirt or belt, someone else might like some necklace.

#29 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:05 AM

Prayer lists or requests for prayers on social media. Actually, just like praying in general to be honest. I don't see anything wrong with it, but I can't empathize with it at all and I just don't get it at all. Why? How does that make someone feel better? When my friend comes over with pizza cuz I'm feeling shit, that makes me feel better. But the idea that you're.. gonna think about me for two seconds and maybe genuinely (or not) hope for whatever.. yeah.. I don't get it.

When someone prays for another person, they usually think it's powerful and that it will work (I say usually because some people say that just so they don't have to deal with the person they're "praying" to), so it's better than talking to the person, or as you mentioned, giving them pizza. I'm not religious at all, but with a super religious family, I understand why they make it such a big deal.

tl;dr: For(to?) them, a prayer has more power than anything else.

I don't get why my uncle is always calling out on my cousin because he doesn't study, but at the same time he gives him everything. That's not how you're gonna teach him a lesson, dumbass.

#30 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:28 PM

I've got a bracelet with National lyrics on that I always wear. ;)

#31 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:54 PM

I've got a bracelet with National lyrics on that I always wear. ;)

That would fall into the symbolic category, it's not just jewellery for the same of being jewellery as it has meaning. :p

#32 Ehentalix

Ehentalix
  • Banned from trading - Do NOT trade with this member!

• 95 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:49 PM

Concept of jewellery was originally to show wealth. If you could afford to turn gold/silver/other forms of currency into something with no actual function, it meant you were really wealthy. The tradition kind of stuck.

#33 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:36 PM

i don't understand why most attractive guys have to be straight. WHAT DID I DO IN MY PAST LIFE TO DESERVE THIS? :crybaby:

also why reality tv contests always bring back previously eliminated contestants only for them to be kicked out 2 episodes later. i can't brain.

#34 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:06 AM

Why I insist on making coffee before class even though I almost never end up drinking it

#35 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:09 AM

Men.

#36 pancakeface

pancakeface
  • 769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:32 PM

frank_gehry_star_wood_hotel_3.jpg

i mean seriously, this is literally what a crap looks like.

You might want to see a doctor about that.

dangit @Drakonid you're always making jokes before me

#37 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:10 PM

Why fucking bug contests don't want to work in my Pokemon fangame!! This is some serious bullshit

There are hardly any differences between the old and new bug contest scripts and I can't figure out what exactly is making these contests not work!! Ughh

#38 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:24 PM

Why fucking bug contests don't want to work in my Pokemon fangame!! This is some serious bullshit

There are hardly any differences between the old and new bug contest scripts and I can't figure out what exactly is making these contests not work!! Ughh

:o you're making a fangame? Is it with pokémon or fakémon?

#39 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:22 PM

You might want to see a doctor about that.dangit @Drakonid you're always making jokes before me

i didn't say it was MY crap :p

#40 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:50 PM

People who whisper to each other non-stop throughout an entire class. I find it really disrespectful. Especially when the professor has to ask you to stop so that he can pay attention to an answer someone is giving. Why are you here if you're just going to chat the entire time? 

#41 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:49 AM

People who whisper to each other non-stop throughout an entire class. I find it really disrespectful. Especially when the professor has to ask you to stop so that he can pay attention to an answer someone is giving. Why are you here if you're just going to chat the entire time? 

I hate this sooo much. e.e I had an art professor in the beginning of my college career who said we didn't have to pay attention, or do work, or even care - but do not talk or make noise or you'll be kicked out. Hah. She let people sleep in her class, as long as they didn't talk or make any noise. 

I don't understand anti-intellectualism. For example, the anti-vaccine crowd.

#42 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:06 AM

This is what you say to them

"Oi cunt, I didn't travel half way across the world, move continent, spend tens of thousand of pounds to listen to you and your dick sucking escapades. Shut the fuck up."

Should work.

#43 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:02 AM

rofl

#44 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:14 AM

:o you're making a fangame? Is it with pokémon or fakémon?

Heh, yup!! With real Pokemon, and the team started making it back when gen 4 was still around so there won't be any hidden abilities or mega evolutions ^^ So it's based off gen 3 with some gen 4 Pokemon and moves/abilities/physical and special split/etc. I don't wanna upgrade anything to keep it as close to what we were gonna make originally. We made a demo back in the day and you can try it out if you want!!

(Since I'm the only person actively working on it I've been meaning to make a thread here to see if anyone is up for helping me out for a long time now. Just gotta make a proper list go see what I need help with)

#45 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:28 AM

Heh, yup!! With real Pokemon, and the team started making it back when gen 4 was still around so there won't be any hidden abilities or mega evolutions ^^ So it's based off gen 3 with some gen 4 Pokemon and moves/abilities/physical and special split/etc. I don't wanna upgrade anything to keep it as close to what we were gonna make originally. We made a demo back in the day and you can try it out if you want!!
(Since I'm the only person actively working on it I've been meaning to make a thread here to see if anyone is up for helping me out for a long time now. Just gotta make a proper list go see what I need help with)

That's awesome, I would love to try it out! And I know nothing about competitive battling, so the lack of those Gen 4 features won't be a problem :p

It's a good idea, I'm sure a lot of people would love to help :D

#46 Silver

Silver
  • poppycock.

• 1041 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:44 AM

I heard somewhere that (I believe, Portugal?), women would wear jewelry to attract customers. The example given was of a fish merchant. 

If you've got bling, it meant that you do a lot of business - logic would imply that if you are doing well in your trade, it's probably because your product is superior to that of the competition. If you want fresh fish, go to the lady with a lot of gold. 

This is, of course, simply one cultural example. 

Currently, I think it's all a bit much. I got my wife one of those ring-candles; she wore the ring for three weeks before I took notice of it. Hell, I barely remember which shirt wore yesterday, never mind what someone else is wearing. 

Bad drivers grind my gears. I truly don't care if you want to play on your cell, smoke whatever, or eat while you're driving. Just be safe when you drive. I almost got hit twice this week alone, once when I was in the slow lane, merging into the middle lane (guy in the fast lane ​accelerated  to merge into the middle lane, came inches from hitting me), and the other time I was stopped at a light, and the girl behind me came flying up, not noticing traffic was at a dead standstill. 

Drive like an asshole, I don't care. Just be aware of your surroundings while you're doing it. 

#47 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:42 PM

I heard somewhere that (I believe, Portugal?), women would wear jewelry to attract customers. The example given was of a fish merchant. 

If you've got bling, it meant that you do a lot of business - logic would imply that if you are doing well in your trade, it's probably because your product is superior to that of the competition. If you want fresh fish, go to the lady with a lot of gold. 

This is, of course, simply one cultural example. 

Currently, I think it's all a bit much. I got my wife one of those ring-candles; she wore the ring for three weeks before I took notice of it. Hell, I barely remember which shirt wore yesterday, never mind what someone else is wearing.

Are you trying to embarrassing me showing you know more about portuguese customs and traditions than I do? :lol:
I suppose it makes sense.
Portugal always had a lot of gold since we started "discovering" the world lol. And until a few years ago we had the second or third world largest gold reserve. Even the poorest of people have something in gold, a ring, a necklace, a pair of earrings, usually given out by parents, or godmother when we're still babies. And it's something we don't sell or give to others. I still have some bracelets, my first pair of earrings and some necklaces I don't wear since I was 7 or 8 xD

It's definitely something cultural and it was used to show wealth, obviously the more the baby received the more it meant the family was noble, richer than the others or had great influence.
Nowadays it's not that common, youngest are not that traditional when it comes to certain customs, except in more rural areas (where these gifts are mostly given out by older women) and up North were gold still have a central place during a few festivities.

Spoiler
These are called "mordomas", in a literal translation: female butler? :lol:
They are in charge of collectiong money for the yearly festivities. Back in the day that outfit (the black one) was used as their wedding dress and they were burried with it too.

And with that I'll end this boring class, kids.

#48 Halcyon

Halcyon
  • 59 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:57 PM

I don't understand people who want kids. I mean, I guess I do, but I personally really do not want kids.

I don't understand romantic relationships. Never had been in one and I don't think I ever will. Not because I'm ugly (because bitch I'm fabulous), or because I have awful social skills (okay, maybe I do). It's just I don't see the point. The idea of it is cheesy and mushy. The idea of cuddling and dates... ew, fuck off. Platonic friendships are awesome and enough. Also: dogs. 

I don't understand people who have a list of crazy hereditary diseases but still choose to "keep strong" and try to reproduce. If it were me, I'd take it as a sign that my genes suck and that I probably shouldn't reproduce. I also wouldn't want to knowingly give the same burdens to a future child. 

I don't understand how couples who are truly butt ugly and KNOW they're butt ugly, still chose to reproduce. (See above)

I don't understand people who prefer comfortable lies over uncomfortable truths

#49 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:30 PM

i dont understand women... 

Men.

human beings.

I WIN.

#50 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:20 AM

I don't understand people who have a list of crazy hereditary diseases but still choose to "keep strong" and try to reproduce. If it were me, I'd take it as a sign that my genes suck and that I probably shouldn't reproduce. I also wouldn't want to knowingly give the same burdens to a future child. 

As someone with a heritable genetic disorder which has left me disabled, I would not reproduce with my own eggs - for the reason you stated of "knowingly give the same burdens to a child". But the chance of passing it on is only 50%. So it's sort of a gamble and some people want kids, so I hear a lot about people with my condition having kids. I don't get it either. If I could get egg donations, I probably would, because I kind of like the idea of having one kid with my husband. But it's not a deal breaker either. I'd be happy if I never have that opportunity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users