12 replies to this topic

#1 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2021 - 01:49 PM

Hi Everyone!

TLDR: Neopets Chit Chat has been created, does not increase post count. Meant to help cut down on TP access spam, please put topics that don't promote dicussion there (or we'll move things ourselves). Moved some threads into Neopets Chit Chat, moved other threads other places. 

We've made a few forum changes to help us try and cut down on people only posting for trading post access, which while it adds activity, such users tend to not post again once they have access (unless of course it's in the TP area). Such posts also tend to be "fluff" style, which do not promote discussion so other users aren't able to join in and continue the threads, giving the forum a once burst of activity that simmers down once the user has hit the required 10 posts. 

A new forum under the "Neopets" header has been created, called "Neopets Chit-Chat". This will function similar to the Chit-Chat forum under the General Discussion forum header, which does not increase post count. We want to promote discussion and allow everyone to be able to join in with others and continue discussions, not just have people posting that doesn't go anywhere. Threads/Forums that do not promote actual discussions and are the "fluff" style of post will be placed in Neopets Chit Chat. 

Feel free to still start topics in Neopets General, if we feel the thread is better suited to Neopets Chit Chat we will move it. 

3 topics from Neopets General have been moved to the new Neopets Chit Chat section:

The Lab Ray Topic this topic has never promoted discussion, it's just been people posting lab zaps (sometimes multiple times in one day, or daily). While it's nice to see when people get a nice color zap or even a limited pet zap they've been wanting, the thread had served no other purpose than to let people increase post count easily for the Trading Post. 

Interesting Events- The Good, The Bad and The Ugly same reasons as to why the lab ray topic was moved. 

The Official Ask/Confirm is Neopets Down Thread hasn't been posted in since 2018, and with things like isitdownforeveryoneorjustme (isup.me), the thread serves no purpose besides post count increases and is better served to the chit chat section. 

Other topics that have been moved to different forum areas (not to Neopets Chit Chat): 

What do you collect irl has been moved to Chit Chat due to the fact this thread rarely promotes any discussions or even images anymore and is just people posting "I collect x" for the TP. General Discussion-General Chat no longer fit this thread. 

I'm having a bad life drop your best jokes has been moved to Jokes and Fun Stuff under General Entertainment (another forum that does not increase post count). This clearly was a thread asking for jokes, and is better suited to the jokes part of the forum than general chat. 

Should any thread begin to actually promote discussion for everyone, we shall consider moving it back so it increases post counts again. 

And for those of you asking for Neg Rep again in conjunction to help decrease spam, we shall see. 

#2 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 803 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2021 - 02:17 PM

And for those of you asking for Neg Rep again in conjunction to help decrease spam, we shall see. 

Nonononononono

Negative rep is under no circumstance to be used to discourage spam. Spam is good. Spam is encouraged.

#3 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2021 - 02:26 PM

Nonononononono

Negative rep is under no circumstance to be used to discourage spam. Spam is good. Spam is encouraged.

It's no secret that this place is fucking dead. If you check the new posts it's always some new user posting some shit no one cares about to reach the post count required to unlock some subforum (don't take this personal, new guy who is currently doing this, I think you are cool).

If the NeoCodex staff decides to adopt my suggestion, these days would soon be over.

The idea is simple:

Negative Reputation

As some of you may know, I have been pushing this idea for years. It is long overduefor -rep to make a glorious reappearance and save neocodex from obsolescence

FAQ:

Q: What is negative reputation?
A: You know that green arrow on the bottom right corner of your posts, imagine that, but pointing the other way and in red.

Q: Do you really think this is a good idea?
A: Yes.

Q: I'm sold, where do I sign?
A: I recommend spamming active staff members with private messages, or replying to any post you see requesting this feature.

Q: Wow, this post is super lazy and dumb, why did you even bother?
A: Lazy? Maybe. Dumb? Probably. But the time has come for us to become the change we want to see in this website, and the change I want to see is red arrows on the bottom right corner of every single post.

You literally asked for neg rep to stop people just posting things no one cares about to reach the post count. Which we would call, "spam". 

Spam is not encouraged, it's annoying and frustrating when we know it's just for TP access. It's a false activity burst. 

#4 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 803 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2021 - 02:47 PM

I know what I said. I never said that the spam needed to be stopped, I only said that it's the only activity there is nowadays. I specifically said that the guy is cool!

#5 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2021 - 02:51 PM

I know what I said. I never said that the spam needed to be stopped, I only said that it's the only activity there is nowadays. I specifically said that the guy is cool!

And then right under it you stated:

"If the NeoCodex staff decides to adopt my suggestion, these days would soon be over."

Suggesting that adding neg rep would stop the posts of people just posting random stuff no one cares about for TP access. 

#6 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 803 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2021 - 03:04 PM

Right, because after adding negative rep this will no longer be the only posts we see day in day out.

#7 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2021 - 10:07 PM

Anything is worth trying at this point. My preference would be posts count everywhere, and encourage negative rep on spam posts.  

#8 S3AN

S3AN
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 07:03 AM

this is true negative = BAD

what about like rewarding people for being active all month and not just stupid posts to get the post for a day but serious ones and reward them with a certan time of adv membership for thouse who cant pay for it as well will help them to be more active like a free week or 2

Edited by S3AN, 30 May 2021 - 07:04 AM.

#9 SouthernEngineer

SouthernEngineer
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 09:24 PM

So what is considered "Spam"? Is it more or less just people posting one word replies to certain topics? Or just in general just saying stuff just to say it to get to 10 posts?

#10 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 June 2021 - 05:35 AM

So what is considered "Spam"? Is it more or less just people posting one word replies to certain topics? Or just in general just saying stuff just to say it to get to 10 posts?

A combination of the two.

Example 1: A topic contains a guide with information, that may or may not be outdated, from April 2019 and hasn't had a reply since June 2020. A user comments "HAHA XD YEAH ME TOO". That user has added NOTHING to the topic AND bumped or "grave dug" a topic without creating further discussion. Big no-no.

Example 2: A topic contains a guide with information, that may or may not be outdated, from April 2019 and hasn't had a reply since June 2020. A user comments "Thank you for the guide. I noticed that exhibit 'x' is out of date and no longer works. Here is a new image for anyone still using this guide". Totally cool and absolutely welcomed as you've added to the discussion.

Using the same topic from example 1 and 2, a user posts "Thanks". We will likely let that slide once or twice, but saying that to multiple topics to bump their post count to 10 is a no-no. There's a few courses of action we can and will take. The first action, after a verbal warning, would be to put that user on 'moderator preview', which means we must manually approve any post that user makes. The second is to reduce their post count by how many spam/useless replies they've given. The rest can be found in the Neocodex Rules set.

#11 GhostMommy

GhostMommy
  • 559 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 July 2021 - 12:09 PM

Negative Reputation was tried in the past, the results were negative.

#12 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 803 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 July 2021 - 07:04 AM

Negative Reputation was tried in the past, the results were negative.

WRONG.

Those were the days of our lives, the bad things in life were so few. Those days are all gone now but one thing is true: when I look and I find I still love negative reputation.

#13 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2021 - 07:23 AM

I, for one, enjoy this change! I worked hard for my post count! Quality posting all the way! And I would also love neg rep! I really do want to see this site get back in popularity. I wish Neo would finish uo their upgrades... now that I am learning how to code and create programs, I may want to try my hand at it for the site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users