Quantcast

Photo

Should Clerks At Shops Be Able To Say "merry Christmas"?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#26 MSLEGEND

MSLEGEND
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:48 PM

I think that should be the clerks decision

-Commander_Cobra_360

#27 iloveorange

iloveorange
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:19 PM

Yes in my opinion they should be allowed to, however it may offend some people, that's the risk they should have the choice to take.

#28 Fresca

Fresca
  • 514 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:26 PM

IMO, words are just words. I think people should be able to say "Merry Christmas" because if someone says "Happy Hannukah" to me I'm not offended, I just appreciate the sentiment of having a happy holiday, ya know? People are too touchy about things that don't actually affect you unless you allow them to.

#29 iloveorange

iloveorange
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:34 PM

IMO, words are just words. I think people should be able to say "Merry Christmas" because if someone says "Happy Hannukah" to me I'm not offended, I just appreciate the sentiment of having a happy holiday, ya know? People are too touchy about things that don't actually affect you unless you allow them to.

I completely agree with you. If your wishing someone happy anything, it should be considered a good thing, should it not? : )

#30 sircomflix

sircomflix
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:41 PM

Im kinda sick of people saying Happy Holidays. Just say Merry Christmas. I know many non christian people who celebrate it. Plus its just an opinion really. Its not like their forcing you to celebrate Christmas. So by all means. Let them say it.

I would much rather say Happy Holidays because I don't want to be confronted by some idiot and have a long discussion about trying to push Christianity by simply saying Merry Christmas. I work part time in retail so I do as much as I can to avoid talking to customers.

Edited by sircomflix, 01 October 2010 - 06:41 PM.

#31 Gee

Gee
  • 498 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:41 PM

I agree.
If it really bothers you just say Happy Holidays or Happy Xmas, but don't expect others to do the same. Haha...

#32 flashraven

flashraven
  • 552 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:27 PM

Those who are easily offended should really look at the bigger picture and be less narrow-minded, like c'mon, it calls for a celebration and a casual wishing won't harm...Posted Image

Edited by flashraven, 01 October 2010 - 07:27 PM.

#33 MiladyM

MiladyM
  • 428 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:57 AM

Wow thats the dumbest thing I've heard. I celebrate Christmas, but I dont relate it to the religion in any way. I know it comes from there and all but I never really think of it when I think of Christmas. It's just pretty, u get the family together and u get presents.. mostly :p

Yep. I dont care how people say it either aslong as as they dont force anything upon me, wich never happened yet. I'm just glad they told me to have a happy anything. :p

Edited by Milady, 04 October 2010 - 11:01 AM.

#34 sircomflix

sircomflix
  • 461 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:23 PM

Wow thats the dumbest thing I've heard. I celebrate Christmas, but I dont relate it to the religion in any way. I know it comes from there and all but I never really think of it when I think of Christmas. It's just pretty, u get the family together and u get presents.. mostly

That's how most people view Christmas nowadays. We grow up watching Christmas specials, singing Christmas songs and spending time with the family, and none of these things really scream Christianity. The celebration doesn't really rely on history of the origins to make sense like Hanukkah for example, so even non-Christians can celebrate because it's more universal.

#35 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:46 AM

I would much rather say Happy Holidays because I don't want to be confronted by some idiot and have a long discussion about trying to push Christianity by simply saying Merry Christmas. I work part time in retail so I do as much as I can to avoid talking to customers.

You never know when you're going to ring up some Jewish lady. Boy will she let you have it. :(

On the other hand, you have all these crazies out there who think Christmas is sooooooo important and that EVERYONE should say Merry Christmas. I always tell them I'm Jewish and let them have it.

#36 MiladyM

MiladyM
  • 428 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:23 PM

That's how most people view Christmas nowadays. We grow up watching Christmas specials, singing Christmas songs and spending time with the family, and none of these things really scream Christianity. The celebration doesn't really rely on history of the origins to make sense like Hanukkah for example, so even non-Christians can celebrate because it's more universal.

Exactly! xD If I would meet someone that is against saying it I would really just be so thrown that I'd have no words for it, seeing as its nothing like that even for me. But I guess its more fun to make a big deal out of anything lately. Here they wanna cancel a holiday called "sinterklaas" because its a holy man with helpers that go through the chimney (so they become black from the ashes).
People are saying its racist LOL. Crazy people, its nothing like that, plus it's fake like exactly like Santa Claus. Anyhow..... thats a whole different story. dunno why I thought of that. :p

#37 Chase

Chase
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:56 PM

lol this thread was dug out of the grave. 5 years ago man.

kudos to iloveorange. HAHA.

but again, christmas is round the corner, so i guess at least this is appropriate. LOL.

anyway. christmas seems to have lost its meaning, and to as such, i think just wishing others a 'merry christmas' should not be cause for lawsuits or lashing. =(

#38 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:20 AM

Who actually celebrates Christmas as a religious holiday anymore, anyway? It's just another day of the year, only kids get a truckload of presents for 'being good all year', when they were probably spoilt little shits.
And people who go to church on Christmas Eve probably haven't been to church at all throughout the year. Biggest load of bollocks. If someone wants to say "happy Christmas" they can, it's not strictly a religious holiday anymore. At least it isn't over here, I don't know what it's like outside of Ireland/UK.

#39 ArticTheTiger

ArticTheTiger
  • 1318 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:35 AM

Who actually celebrates Christmas as a religious holiday anymore, anyway? It's just another day of the year, only kids get a truckload of presents for 'being good all year', when they were probably spoilt little shits.
And people who go to church on Christmas Eve probably haven't been to church at all throughout the year. Biggest load of bollocks. If someone wants to say "happy Christmas" they can, it's not strictly a religious holiday anymore. At least it isn't over here, I don't know what it's like outside of Ireland/UK.

This.

I hate those fucking fussy people who got a stick so deep up their ass they don't want people to even MENTION anything religion related.

The other day one of my girlfriends friends said to my girlfriend "I'm not giving you and *other friend* any presents for christmas cause you don't believe in god" I mean, really? Wtf.

#40 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:03 AM

This.

I hate those fucking fussy people who got a stick so deep up their ass they don't want people to even MENTION anything religion related.

The other day one of my girlfriends friends said to my girlfriend "I'm not giving you and *other friend* any presents for christmas cause you don't believe in god" I mean, really? Wtf.

Fuck, people are so fickle. Its like one time one of my 'good friends' stopped talking to me because I wore a cross (not a crucifix... a plain cross (actually, it was quite pretty ^_^)) to school one day. Apparently I was being a hypocrite because I didn't believe in god, yet "wore him around my neck".

Posted Image

We're not celebrating Christmas this year, our family had a pretty tough year and no-one is in the mood to celebrate. Besides. all the kids in our family have grown up and are getting too old for the whole Christmas thing. It's just another day of the year anyway, nothing special happens.

Edited by Swarley, 23 November 2010 - 07:06 AM.

#41 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:15 AM

Posted Image
Get it? Because the drawing of Jesus is itty bitty. BWAHAHAHA. I crack myself up.

#42 togepi

togepi
  • 123 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:46 AM

Lol, you summed it up perfectly. I'm only 17 and Christmas isn't that big of a deal to me. I stopped getting hyped up about family, food, and gifts at around 14/15, since that's when I started hating everyone, became a vegetarian, and stopped getting gifts. Now it's pretty much a nice break from school and a deep wishing for snow, which never happens in the south. Not real snow anyway.

#43 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:13 PM

Lol, you summed it up perfectly. I'm only 17 and Christmas isn't that big of a deal to me. I stopped getting hyped up about family, food, and gifts at around 14/15, since that's when I started hating everyone, became a vegetarian, and stopped getting gifts. Now it's pretty much a nice break from school and a deep wishing for snow, which never happens in the south. Not real snow anyway.

Oh, well I still get pumped for Christmas dinner! And we get bucket loads of snow. I like that part of Christmas. I stopped getting presents years ago, and there is never anything I need/want, so I just tell my parents not to bother with presents. :) I am the perfect child. :p

Edited by Swarley, 23 November 2010 - 12:17 PM.

#44 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:19 PM

This is why I don't say anything. I just go "have a good day" :p

#45 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:20 PM

This is why I don't say anything. I just go "have a good day" :p

Universal! I like it! :)

#46 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:27 PM

That's why they say "Happy Holidays".^^

#47 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:32 PM

That's why they say "Happy Holidays".^^

The entire discussion is about whether people should say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays :p

If I had to I usually say happy holidays only because I have to at work- company policy. To friends and stuff I always say merry Christmas (even like, people from my labs or w/e) :p

#48 Lineage

Lineage
  • 498 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:34 PM

Ehh, I work in a restaurant and I always wish people Happy Thanksgiving/Merry Christmas/etc.

I've never had anyone get offended.
If work is slow, I'll even occasionally draw little pictures on the receipts in people's check presenters (Aka, little pumpkins/ghosts for Halloween, etc).
People usually get a kick out of it.

#49 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:36 PM

Ehh, I work in a restaurant and I always wish people Happy Thanksgiving/Merry Christmas/etc.

If work is slow, I'll even occasionally draw little pictures on the receipts in people's check presenters (Aka, little pumpkins/ghosts for Halloween, etc).

Do you think more people get offended by happy holidays or merry Christmas? All I know is that I've never had anyone ever openly speak out about me saying either

I think people should just understand it's company policy and just hate the goernment and shut the fuck up about what the workers say <3

#50 togepi

togepi
  • 123 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:43 PM

Aw, that's really cute. I'd love it.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users