Quantcast

Photo

Should Clerks At Shops Be Able To Say "merry Christmas"?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 ZERO

ZERO
  • 1661 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:20 PM

Apparently, some stores around here, around aloud to say "Merry Christmas" because the "Christ" in "Christmas" is 'offensive' :funone: to some.

Do you think they should be able to or not?

#2 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:37 PM

Hech no I wouldn't mind it. They should be able to say that :) People who find it offensive are too religiously sensative <_< Like some people find the phrase "Oh my God" offensive but I don't.

#3 Martin

Martin
  • User under investigation - Potential scammer

• 772 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:41 PM

Im kinda sick of people saying Happy Holidays. Just say Merry Christmas. I know many non christian people who celebrate it. Plus its just an opinion really. Its not like their forcing you to celebrate Christmas. So by all means. Let them say it.

#4 Southrnsweety

Southrnsweety
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:44 PM

They should be able to say Merry Christmas just like the people who don't want it said are allowed to say Happy Holidays. Is the holiday still known as Christmas? What the heck has happened when people aren't allowed to use a greeting because it has Christ in the name. I mean when people sneeze I still say God Bless You not as an insult but because I wish them well. This has really gone way to far people are losing there freakin minds.

#5 jrtheman

jrtheman
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:47 PM

they do at wal-mart

#6 Warlord

Warlord
  • 3988 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:48 PM

They should be able to say it if they want to. How far have we really come as a civilisation if people still get pissed over a phrase as harmless as merry christmas? People should just learn to react to merry christmas by smiling and wishing the person a merry christmas or just say something else friendly if you dont celebrate christmas.....

don't say happy holiday, stand up and give a greeting for whatever you celebrate, christmas, hanukah, kwanzaa, whatever you celebrate this time of year

Edited by Warlord, 12 December 2005 - 09:51 PM.

#7 ZERO

ZERO
  • 1661 posts

they do at wal-mart

So they are allowed to at your walmart :)

The walmart down the hill isnt allowed to, but the Walmart up here does.

#8 OldSchool

OldSchool
  • 101 posts

thats ridiculous not being able to say merry christmas to patrons. the world is going to hell in a hand basket

#9 Warlord

Warlord
  • 3988 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:49 PM

they do at wal-mart

because I think walmart got sued for saying happy holidays

#10 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2005 - 12:28 AM

Honestly... you don't hear people offended by someone saying Happy Kwanzaa or Happy Chanukah or even Happy Eid. So... why get offended from Merry Christmas? Just doesn't make sense >_<

If they want to say it then let them ^_^

#11 Harley

Harley
  • 3138 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 12:30 AM

You cant hear the Christ in Christmas, So I really doubt anyone would get offended.

#12 Stryyp

Stryyp
  • 2788 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 05:51 AM

An employee said "Merry Christmas" to a Islamic person at our local McDonalds and then she sued the McDonalds corportation O_o Almost all the stores in my area stopped saying "Merry Christmas" but then nearly everyone boycotted them, and they eventually started saying Christmas again.

I think it is crazy how people who don't believe in Christ want him taken out of Christmas. It is his FRICKIN' holiday! By all means, let them celebrate it, but it is kinda like if you are a guest in someones house, in my opinion. You wouldn't go and re-arrange someones furniture if they were letting you stay with them, would you? Same principle, IMO.

#13 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2005 - 01:45 PM

For all the stupid hippies that think they need be equal, they arent.

#14 Sakura

Sakura
  • 2180 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 01:58 PM

Actually, Christmas is the winter solstice. Christ was born closer to the summer months, July perhaps.

I think the problem is that society is trying so hard for the "seperation of church and state" that they completely forget to give Christians any rights at all. We have to pretend that we accept every religion except Christianity, as if Christianity is the anti-religion. People need to get their priorities straight.

#15 Archon

Archon
  • 2142 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 02:11 PM

I don't mind, but that is coming from someone who celebrates xmas.

#16 Mumei

Mumei
  • 3545 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 02:13 PM

well said sakura.seppun I personally celebrate the solstice, and beltane - the birth of the sun (not the birth of the son LOL)

however I have no problems anyone wishing me a happy xmass, people are free to express their relegious beliefs - that's why we can have people tell you to find god as you walk down the high street

if you prefer to belive that buying toys in the name santa is the way forward good for you.

personally I like the hogfather LOL

#17 Vegas

Vegas
  • Why So Serious?

• 2323 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2005 - 02:50 PM

people who sue other people just wishin them to have a good time are b*tches..its like sayin bless you when someone sneezes(I dont) and gettin ur a55 sued

"Actually, Christmas is the winter solstice. Christ was born closer to the summer months, July perhaps." ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
mmm I never knew that

#18 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 13 December 2005 - 04:48 PM

Nobody really knows when Christ was born, though they are pretty sure it was around the spring/summer. Estimates range from early April (Easter!) to early August.

#19 Stryyp

Stryyp
  • 2788 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:00 PM

Actually, Christmas is the winter solstice. Christ was born closer to the summer months, July perhaps.

I think the problem is that society is trying so hard for the "seperation of church and state" that they completely forget to give Christians any rights at all. We have to pretend that we accept every religion except Christianity, as if Christianity is the anti-religion. People need to get their priorities straight.

Oh, I am completely aware that it is believed that Christ was born in the later months (Or earlier, depends on how you look at it) but there is no denying that when people hear Christmas, they either think Christ or presents. Why we celebrate Christmas in December (Which your reference to the Winter Soltice may be it, I don't know) but like I said, Christmas is for Christ, regardless of when he was born O_o

I also heard somewhere that it is believed that Christ was born sometime in April, but of course, who knows for sure?

#20 Siner

Siner
  • 1120 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:18 PM

I thought xmas was about celebrating his death, because he sacrificied himself in the name of "god"? Nvm then I don't pay much to it as I am not christian..

#21 Sakura

Sakura
  • 2180 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:19 PM

people who sue other people just wishin them to have a good time are b*tches..its like sayin bless you when someone sneezes(I dont) and gettin ur a55 sued

"Actually, Christmas is the winter solstice. Christ was born closer to the summer months, July perhaps." ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
mmm I never knew that

Nobody really knows when Christ was born, though they are pretty sure it was around the spring/summer. Estimates range from early April (Easter!) to early August.

Oh, I am completely aware that it is believed that Christ was born in the later months (Or earlier, depends on how you look at it) but there is no denying that when people hear Christmas, they either think Christ or presents. Why we celebrate Christmas in December (Which your reference to the Winter Soltice may be it, I don't know) but like I said, Christmas is for Christ, regardless of when he was born O_o

I also heard somewhere that it is believed that Christ was born sometime in April, but of course, who knows for sure?

No one knows for sure, but they do know that Christ was born while Joseph was being forced to go back to his home town for the census. That would have put it somewhere between April and July, as Casilla said.
And yes, I agree, wether the date is correct or not, Christmas has become the celebration day of the great birth. Or, the celebration of a fat guy in a suit. And present giving. ^_^
Either way, its ridiculous that they can't say it. =/

#22 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:49 PM

I thought xmas was about celebrating his death, because he sacrificied himself in the name of "god"? Nvm then I don't pay much to it as I am not christian..

I thought that was easter :p well in australia we are a multi cultural cociety and I say we let them here in our country they respect our belifs just as much as we respect theirs. so yes I think we should be able to say Merry Christmas. oh and any aussies please dont repeat whats been happening in sydney that will throw what I just said down the loo (well almost anyway :p )

#23 muffinsforgod

muffinsforgod
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 08:39 AM

I myself am not Christian.. I am also not offended by it either.

To me Christmas is more a celebration of Capitalism and has very little to do with christianity itself so I see no reason to get offended by it. "Christmas" was celebrated long before Christianity was even a religion. Yes it was called something different but that does not mean that it was not celebrated. Heck even the Xmas Tree comes from a pre-Christian Roman tradition and I do not see the Christians getting bend up about it. Its more a cultural holiday than a religious one. O.o

#24 hey

hey
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 07:50 PM

They can say Merry Christmas because it's not illegal. End of story.

#25 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2005 - 11:29 PM

It's callled freedom of expression.

Until a clerk tries to convert me into Christianity or Judaism, whatever, I'm fine as it is.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users