Quantcast

Photo

Should Clerks At Shops Be Able To Say "merry Christmas"?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#51 Qwerty54

Qwerty54
  • 221 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:35 PM

I find it quite alright. I think it is stupid you cannot say Merry Christmas. I find it much more natural to say it, and even people who celebrate other holidays dont mind.

#52 AyoForYayo

AyoForYayo
  • 503 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:20 AM

I think that people need to calm down and realize when people are trying to be nice and not offensive.
Posted Image

#53 wtfints

wtfints
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:57 AM

yes. why not. people should respects other religion as well.

#54 Seaner

Seaner
  • 487 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:01 AM

Living in Canada or the US, you're in a Christian country. I think it's ignorant for people to get all butthurt over 'Merry Christmas.' Don't force me to make accommodations for your faith. ):<

#55 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:48 AM

Living in Canada or the US, you're in a Christian country. I think it's ignorant for people to get all butthurt over 'Merry Christmas.' Don't force me to make accommodations for your faith. ):<

Actually I believe we're secular...

But I do agree that Merry Christmas is to be expected, it's ingrained in our culture

#56 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:56 AM

I know right. People need to realize that.

#57 Snowneo

Snowneo
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:12 PM

I don't generally use Merry Christmas because I don't celebrate it and I don't want to assume that everyone who I talk to does either. Why is it so hard for people to accept the fact that there are many other cultures and religions in the country. And all that they ask for is a little respect. How would you feel if instead of Merry Christmas all of the time being told "Happy Diwali" or "Happy Hannukah". The use of Happy Holidays simply allows everyones religions to be accepted.

#58 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:43 PM

I know right. People need to realize that.

Less religious education, more history, is what your country needs.

#59 Seaner

Seaner
  • 487 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:50 PM

I just feel this whole movement to be PC is getting a little absurd. I'm all for making people feel welcome and allowing freedom of religion, but c'mon... 'Merry Christmas,' isn't exactly like telling someone to die in a fire, there's no malicious intent. I don't hear any of my Jewish/Muslim/Sikh friends complaining about the matter either, the people raising the biggest stink are people who happen to celebrate Christmas. (I know this isn't any real indicator, just something I find worthy of note)

#60 Shimmers

Shimmers
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:40 PM

Wow, this thread is pretty old!

I honestly see no harm in someone wishing Merry Christmas to another.

I agree with the person who noted that Christmas as a holiday is basically

a consumerist holiday. And even then, when people try to get past the commercial

aspect of Christmas, all you hear about is how nice it is to give to others

instead of receiving gifts, so even when the general group of people try to

get down to the moral aspect, they normally enforce the fact that it's nice to give, not

that it's Jesus's birthday and that this is when we celebrate it.

However, this is coming from someone who celebrates Christmas and Christ's birthday.

I know that at our school, we aren't allowed to have anything up pertaining to Christmas.

It all has to be winter based. So Santa and his reindeer are no-shows to the winter formal.

But referencing back to the original topic, I personally wouldn't find it offensive if

they went about saying "Happy Hanukkah" instead or whatever. I don't see why others

might get too touchy about "Merry Christmas".

#61 Shimmers

Shimmers
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:42 PM

Edited by Shimmers, 30 November 2010 - 03:42 PM.

#62 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:48 PM

Happy Holidays should suffice..I used that all the time when working with people during the holidays. Christmas, although a Pagan stole holiday, has nothing to do with the Birth of Christ. YET! Religion comes in and swoops the holiday.

USA needs to ban all religions. As the great Marx once said, "Religion is the opiate of the masses..."

Edited by Warriors, 30 November 2010 - 03:48 PM.

#63 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:54 PM

USA needs to ban all religions. As the great Marx once said, "Religion is the opiate of the masses..."

Please don't be serious...

#64 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:02 AM

I think he is...

#65 sircomflix

sircomflix
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:21 PM

I'll just give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he said that for the lulz.

Anyways, my boss posted a note in the backroom reminding us to say happy holidays instead of merry christmas so we don't make some overly sensitive jerks cry hahah.

#66 Andy

Andy
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:34 PM

I find it offensive when people assume Christmas has anything to do with religion nowadays.

#67 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:25 PM

Sure why not. That's what people are programmed to say. It doesn't hurt and they don't mean to be offensive. It's just polite.

#68 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:08 PM

They should be able to say that, it's a free country..
But they should also say it based on their own judgment as well.

#69 sircomflix

sircomflix
  • 461 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:40 AM

I actually worked on Christmas day in the morning (I volunteered, wasn't doing family stuff til later in the night) and I said Merry Christmas to everyone. Only about 1 or 2 people didn't smile back and return the sentiment, but I'm guessing they were just assholes and not offended.

#70 Lallard

Lallard
  • 487 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:30 PM

Sure why not. That's what people are programmed to say. It doesn't hurt and they don't mean to be offensive. It's just polite.

^This. It's the intent of the greeter that matters. If I'd work as a store clerk and see that the customer is wearing a hijab, I'd be smart about it and just say Happy Holidays though.

#71 darkmagegurl

darkmagegurl
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:12 PM

Sure, why not.

If it is that worrying, they could have said 'Happy Arbitrarily Determined Day For Celebration!'
The word 'Christ' shouldn't be offensive, even to atheists. Maybe Jewish, but how likely is that?

#72 Ceres

Ceres
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

Exactly what I was going to say.
If people want us to respect and tolerate their freedom of belief, they should atleast respect and tolerate ours.

#73 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

Exactly what I was going to say.
If people want us to respect and tolerate their freedom of belief, they should atleast respect and tolerate ours.

That's true -> in North America, it's just widely accepted. Last post before the debate is resurrected for next year!

#74 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:43 PM

That's true -> in North America, it's just widely accepted.  Last post before the debate is resurrected for next year!

Happy Easter.

#75 Acheron

Acheron
  • 586 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:03 PM

What is this nonsense of America being a christian country? But if you honestly want religion to govern a country, I suggest you move back in time to the dark ages.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users