Target: Iran

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:42 PM

For those of you who watch the news, you've probably already got a good idea of what is going on. For the rest of you, here it is:

Fairly recently, Iran elected extremist Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as president, and since he has made many controversial statements. Some of these statements include the holocaust is a lie, the Jews should move out of the Middle East and into Europe, and that he supports the destruction of Israel.

Most alarming, however, is the Iranian government's desire to pursue nuclear technology. While they say that they want the technology for energy use, they are so unconvincing that even the uber-friendly United Nations has banded against them. Even two of Iran's close allies, China and Iran, have stepped away from them a bit.

Russia even offered to enrich Iran's uranium in Russia, which would allow the Iranians to take advantage of nuclear power without having the technology to make nuclear bombs. However, the Iranian's acceptance of this deal seems shaky. Some in the government say they will go for it, some say not.

Iran also sponsors professional-style courses in how to be a suicide bomber. And now these people want technology that would give them access to nuclear weapons. The United Nations has already voted to send the issue to the security council, which could impose sanctions on Iran, but would this be enough?

Even if the United States and Allied nations got involved, we have to remember forces are already stretched thin across Iraq and Afghanistan. And the more we stretch our army, the more other despotic countries like North Korea can run rampant without fear.

Should the United States/US Allies engage in a military conflict with Iran? Will economic sanctions be enough? Should we just do nothing? Discuss.

#2 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:48 PM

I don't think they're doing it just for the energy. There are always other ways to bring peace without violence and I think they should find a way to resolve it peacefully :)

#3 Mason

Mason
  • 950 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 07:23 PM

"We'll bomb those bastards right out, off the earth. I really mean it." - Nixon

#4 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:09 PM

Oh, definately we should. Personally I don't think we should have gone into Iraq (though I do not mind Saddam being pushed out of power because he's a genocidial maniac :p) but we should have gone into Iran because it is THEY who are more of a danger in the middle east. We should move our troops in there once Iraq is able to take care of itself with their own army. While many people would probably oppose it... Weeeeeell... with war people will always oppose things. *shrug* that never stopped Bush once. Bush does what Bush thinks needs to be done. And that's not always a bad thing. But anyways... Iran will most definately be the next topic however I do think we need to start putting troops in different areas as well. Such as Sudan and we need to start possibly taking some action against N. Korea.

#5 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:28 PM

Iran is more of a threat than most countries. Even North Korea, who just is looking for an economical boost through sales of nuclear weapons since there are many starving people there, is not as much as a threat. But war yet? Not so much.

#6 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2006 - 12:17 AM

Fairly recently, Iran elected extremist Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as president, and since he has made many controversial statements. Some of these statements include the holocaust is a lie, the Jews should move out of the Middle East and into Europe, and that he supports the destruction of Israel.

He has the right to say the holocust is a lie, freedom of speech. Supports destruction of Israel? Is that bad? Israel supports the destruction of many Islamic nations... <_<

During the oppression by Hitler, the Jewish people were offered a safe haven in Palestine. Then soon after they are given land totally out of the blue. People that did not own that land said here you can have this.... Make sense? No... And the British gave this to them, they realized their mistake I guess and don't involve themselves in theese issues much anymore. Now the US is involved and in doing so get hated, and then they wond er why.... <_< Bull...

Nuclear Weapons?? If the US can have them why not any other country? The US is trying to keep other countries/nations dumb but not letting them further research to learn. Their threatening them to stop trying to get smarter <_< WTF?

#7 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2006 - 03:46 AM

He has the right to say the holocust is a lie, freedom of speech. Supports destruction of Israel? Is that bad? Israel supports the destruction of many Islamic nations... <_<

During the oppression by Hitler, the Jewish people were offered a safe haven in Palestine. Then soon after they are given land totally out of the blue. People that did not own that land said here you can have this.... Make sense? No... And the British gave this to them, they realized their mistake I guess and don't involve themselves in theese issues much anymore. Now the US is involved and in doing so get hated, and then they wond er why.... <_< Bull...

Nuclear Weapons?? If the US can have them why not any other country? The US is trying to keep other countries/nations dumb but not letting them further research to learn. Their threatening them to stop trying to get smarter <_< WTF?

Ever heard of holocaust denial?

Well the holocaust did happen. Saying it didnt is a lie that interferes with many international laws.

And yeah, if Iran tries anything, the us has 400 neucs on their asses.

#8 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2006 - 05:36 AM

It's another Bay of Pigs crisis all over again...:rolleyes:

#9 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:08 AM

First off this is the UN that is stopping them from having Nuclear power. That is 191 countries that share the view of the United States. Your logic is slanted Noit. If a preacher can rightfully own a gun why cant a convicted inmate or a 6 year old kid? Iran as viewed as a unstable country that has a high chance of causing problems. That is why the us and 190 other countries will not let them have nuclear weapons.

Ever heard of holocaust denial?

Well the holocaust did happen. Saying it didnt is a lie that interferes with many international laws.

And yeah, if Iran tries anything, the us has 400 neucs on their asses.

400 of the 9600 that we have.

My opinion on a war in Iran is a little skewed. I really don't know. I agreed 100% on going to Iraq and believe that its a good thing that is being worked on, but over in Iran is a different situation. Many people say that Iraq was the right war at the wrong time. I think its the same thing with Iran. Bush needs to just wait it out and let the next president handle it whoever they may be. Eventually we do need to go in, but need to keep spreading to a minimal. Also I don't think right now our spreading is to bad. Not nearly as bad as every one thinks it is.

#10 Christopher Robin

Christopher Robin
  • 5302 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:22 AM

Even two of Iran's close allies, China and Iran, have

typo?

pfft.... blow the place up, solve the problem quick and easy.

#11 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:40 AM

He has the right to say the holocust is a lie, freedom of speech.

No one is saying he doesn't have the right to say it. However as the leader of an entire freaking nation, it's a terrible thing to do. Firstly, the holocaust is fact. It happened. Anyone that denies it is completely wrong. No doubt. For the leader of a nation to deny it is just... Astounding. Astounding that the country could elect someone so blind to the truth. Their hatred is so deep that they can convince themselves of obvious lies just so their hatred can continue. Yeah, he can say what he wants, but that doesn't mean he's not completely insane for saying it.

Supports destruction of Israel? Is that bad? Israel supports the destruction of many Islamic nations... <_<

Point me in the direction of someone in the Israeli government saying they support the destruction of an Islamic nation. It sounds like you're just making this up.

During the oppression by Hitler,

'oppression' is a bit of a light term to use for genocide

the Jewish people were offered a safe haven in Palestine. Then soon after they are given land totally out of the blue. People that did not own that land said here you can have this.... Make sense? No... And the British gave this to them, they realized their mistake I guess and don't involve themselves in theese issues much anymore. Now the US is involved and in doing so get hated, and then they wond er why.... <_< Bull...

Not really true. Palestine was originally part of the Ottoman Empire, which was defeated in World War I, it's territories divided up by the League of Nations. Britain was was assigned to be the adminstrator of this territory. Article 2 of the mandate for this region stated that there would be a goal to "secure the establishment of the Jewish National home" while "safeguarding the civil and religious rights of all the inhabitants of Palestine."

Last I heard, losing territory in a war you lose is nothing new. And this was a BIG war. World War I. It's not like someone just randomly stepped in and took the land solely for that purpose. The League of Nations took all of the Ottoman Empire at the end of WWI. Is there an Ottoman Empire anymore? No... But I don't see them complaining. At least Palestine is still there.

And of course, after The Ottoman Empire lost all this territory and we moved in the Israelis, the arab nations took it upon themselves to be great neighbors and start attacking the shit out of Israel.

It is AMAZING that Israel hasn't just decided to try and conquer the middle east yet. Considering what has been done to them, it is fully within their right. This land was conquered in WWI, taken from the destroyed Ottoman Empire, and it's new rightful owners, the League of Nations, represented by the regional administrator Britain, gave the land to Israel.

Nuclear Weapons?? If the US can have them why not any other country?

Other countries do have them. The ones that can't are the ones that have proven themselves to be extremist and willing to use them offensively. And it's not like the US is alone here. The UN voted to send Iran to the security council. Basically the entire world doesn't want Iran having weapons. Don't say it's just the US when it isn't :\

The US is trying to keep other countries/nations dumb but not letting them further research to learn. Their threatening them to stop trying to get smarter <_< WTF?

Once again, it's not just the US. And it's not "trying to keep them dumb". It's trying to keep dangerous weapons out of the hands of our enemies. If some guy said "Hey Noit, I hate you, I want to kill you" then you saw him go buy a gun, well, you would be worried, right? You wouldn't want him to have that gun? Of course not. This is the same situation. Iran hates us, they want to kill us and our allies, they want the biggest gun the world has to offer: the nuke.

Iran is in an indefinsible position here. Even its allies are stepping away from it.

Edited by BrknPhoenix, 11 March 2006 - 11:14 AM.

#12 Freddy

Freddy
  • 5500 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:58 AM

Oh, definately we should. Personally I don't think we should have gone into Iraq (though I do not mind Saddam being pushed out of power because he's a genocidial maniac :p) but we should have gone into Iran because it is THEY who are more of a danger in the middle east. We should move our troops in there once Iraq is able to take care of itself with their own army. While many people would probably oppose it... Weeeeeell... with war people will always oppose things. *shrug* that never stopped Bush once. Bush does what Bush thinks needs to be done. And that's not always a bad thing. But anyways... Iran will most definately be the next topic however I do think we need to start putting troops in different areas as well. Such as Sudan and we need to start possibly taking some action against N. Korea.

i dont think we should have gone anywhere, but i really hope that Iran doesnt get the nuclear technology. i dont like russia bwcause they said that they would give them some uranium... they still need plutonium, and only i have it :devil: lol. but for real this is going to get bad if they get nuclear capabilities. :(

#13 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2006 - 08:23 AM

i dont think we should have gone anywhere, but i really hope that Iran doesnt get the nuclear technology. i dont like russia bwcause they said that they would give them some uranium... they still need plutonium, and only i have it :devil: lol. but for real this is going to get bad if they get nuclear capabilities. :(

Actually they don't need plutonium. One of the atom bombs that we built, Little Boy I believe it was... only contained Uranium. While Fat Man did do more damage... Little Boy was still very potent.

#14 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:05 AM

Actually they don't need plutonium. One of the atom bombs that we built, Little Boy I believe it was... only contained Uranium. While Fat Man did do more damage... Little Boy was still very potent.

I thought little boy was in Nagasaki, and made that huge ass cloud and managed all but 9 buildings. but only 4 buildings stood from the wrath of fat man in Hiroshima. bah, off of world war II. Not to mention stability of buildings would be various.

As for the actual situation - We can't make a large step just yet. Even though they mean no means of peace towards the United Nations, the wrong step could cause a superb outrage in the middle east.

#15 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:23 AM

Ah I could be wrong. I'm just recalling what I learned from history class about a year or two back, lol.

#16 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 11 March 2006 - 11:37 AM

Well it´s a tricky situation. You have to consider that the new Prime Minister of Iran is no spokesperson for the countrie´s people.

In Iran, as my father recently visited, the majority do not agree with what he says, only the hardline conservatives there (the mullahs and religious fanatics and such). The motives behind the Iranian government´s nuclear programme is unknown to me, but I wouldn´t be surprised if the government used it for nuclear weapons.

It´d be horrible to see the Iranian people in a crossfire of all this, most of them actually love western culture and the USA and such, and there have been many riots against the government for a democracy.

Simon is right on the money.

If we DID invade Iran, there would be a lot - especially in the youth - who would roll out the red carpet for us. They've been wanting to overthrow the religious conservatives for ages - and I do think they've approached other nations, including the US, for help before. They want a revolution.

So it WOULD be terrible if people that supported us did get killed. However, unlike the Iraqis - who, while some loved us, others were ambiguous - the Iranians are going to be clear-cut. There will be those who will love us, and those who will hate us, and very little middleground. So there will be a lot - especially, in the viable youth (unlike Iraq, where a lot of the youth was against us) - who will gladly take up arms and fight with us.

So yea, therefore, there will be a lot of allied Iranian death - however, I think that if we do have a clear-cut faction that is with us, we will avoid a lot of innocent death based purely on the fact that they will be helping us. They know the land and they know the people. :) They will know where to strike, who to strike and how to strike. It's just a matter of us trusting them. Which isn't ironclad, but I do think we're capable of it. =P

Edited by Casilla, 11 March 2006 - 11:39 AM.

#17 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2006 - 12:36 PM

So much typing I can't read through it all but I'm sure people have responded to me above saying I'm all wrong. The thing is the Islamic Nation which it once was corrupted by let's start with Lawrence of Arabia. In a way that seems good they really were attacking the area, just like Israel. So many people think they are doing good when they massacre people. Countires like theese have are smart about how they approach things, they do things to make the other side look like the bad guy. We're getting people like Bush elected in Iran <_< But Bush has the people on the side to correct his mistakes/watch them <_<

#18 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:20 PM

after reading a lot of your posts, its alarming how much history is being forgotten. i suggest you all go back and do some research before making your claims. I'm not going to get into it too much but all of your arguments can easily be broken down with a few sentances and some historical backing.

Dont make assumptions and dont state what you dont know ;).

I try not to take part in discussions like these but the topic of palestine is very close to my heart. maybe we can take it off the board and i can explain some things to you.

#19 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:23 PM

after reading a lot of your posts, its alarming how much history is being forgotten. i suggest you all go back and do some research before making your claims. I'm not going to get into it too much but all of your arguments can easily be broken down with a few sentances and some historical backing.

I try not to take part in discussions like these but the topic of palestine is very close to my heart. maybe we can take it off the board and i can explain some things to you.

I'll gladly hear your opinion on it in PM or MSN.

#20 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:30 PM

We really aren't supposed to be talking about Palestine anyway. =P The Syrians and the Arabs are not the same as the Persians!

#21 uwantbread

uwantbread
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:42 PM

In my opinion it would be the war in Iraq all over again.

#22 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2006 - 08:33 PM

I'll gladly hear your opinion on it in PM or MSN.

Sure thing. Some other week though. Midterms this week...

#23 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 March 2006 - 12:45 AM

Gotta mention the rules debate forum as things may get heated but please remember nothing should be taken to heart we all love each other here but we all love each other very much and want to give our members a place to be best of friends (online). We love diversity and different views it may seem to come off strong but we all love each other here and will not ever look at or treat anyone different for what their views are, staff are strong in this area just want to let the members no we love you no matter what is said in debate room :) And we hope our fellow members will be the same :)

Thanks

#24 Thaumaturgos

Thaumaturgos
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 12:55 AM

Once one nation uses there Nuclear weapons another Nation will use theres so we all get plunged into Nuclear warfare then eventually we blow up the earth and we are all dead.

Thats how I see it :(

#25 Curse

Curse
  • 1143 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:36 AM

I don't think they're doing it just for the energy. There are always other ways to bring peace without violence and I think they should find a way to resolve it peacefully :)

That's kind of impossible considering how ignorant the U.S is. Bush is probably going to be like, "0ng! k1ll 1r4n13ns! k1ll th3m a11!111!!\\"

Anyways, I think U.S should stay out of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users