Quantcast

Photo

Should women be allowed to play in mens golf?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Golf

Should women be allowed to play in mens golf leagues?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Christopher Robin

Christopher Robin
  • 5302 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 May 2006 - 12:30 PM

I was having this discussion a few days ago. Is it not only fair, if a woman plays in mens, that men should be allowed to play in womens tournaments? Before you say it's different, remember all of the people that say "Women want to be treated the same way as men in the work place!" and all that junk. My answer is either let men play in womens, or kick women out of mens.

#2 amyjia

amyjia
  • 854 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 01:11 PM

well.. This is indeed a double standard. Are men actually NOT allowed to play in women's tournaments? Most men probably don't want to because of the "implications" that may araise.Like I said, this is a double standard. It is looked at as brave for a women to want to play with the men, but looked at as "weak" for the men to want to play with the women. Other sports are segregated into males and females. Until we can progress as a society far enough to except men and women as complete equals in sports (with no double standards), all sports(including golf) should stay segregated into males and females.

Edited by amyjia, 07 May 2006 - 01:18 PM.

#3 BarCode

BarCode
  • 421 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 01:18 PM

"Mens'" Golf
"Womans'" Gold

I say no, they have their own leagues for a reason. Men are stronger than women physically, therefore men would dominate women in golf. Also, people say "women want to be treated the same as men in the work area." Guess what? Golf isn't work, it's a sport, and probably the only work involved in golf is to higher some noob to carry your golf clubs and drive over to where you hit the ball. :)

#4 SupermanFTM

SupermanFTM
  • 5817 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 May 2006 - 01:27 PM

Wow...I agree with basically EVERYTHING amy just said :p Couldnt say it better myself!

#5 Ilya

Ilya
  • 2419 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 01:30 PM

why not?

#6 Guest_Analogué_*

Guest_Analogué_*

Posted 07 May 2006 - 02:28 PM

I've always understood the gender based sports being... due to phyisical strength... I mean in football and rugby, you couldn't have a mixed gender team eh?

With golf... I suppose it's slightly different. Strength is necessary... but having said that, men don't apply ALL their strength into taking a swing... and I'm sure a woman could match that strength.

It's an interesting debate. I recently wondered the same thing about snooker tournaments (the Brits just finished their snooker tourny).

If enough woman wanted to... then I'm sure that yeh... we should and *could* play in mens golf :p

Booya! <3

#7 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 May 2006 - 03:16 PM

No, get back in the kitchen and make me a pie bitch!

#8 Mitch

Mitch
  • 1237 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 03:21 PM

No they shoundn't. Men are physicaly stronger (most of the time) then most women. It would just be completely unfair.

#9 Gargar

Gargar
  • 4901 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 03:37 PM

They call it a mens league because there are men in it if it was men and women they it would be a "Men & Womens" league! :idea:

#10 amyjia

amyjia
  • 854 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:09 PM

If enough woman wanted to... then I'm sure that yeh... we should and *could* play in mens golf :p

But is it fair to have men and women playing in "Men's golf" yet only having women playing in "women's golf". They should either fully integrate them together so there is no longer a men's nor women's golf, but just "Golf" or fully segregate them apart .

No they shoundn't. Men are physicaly stronger (most of the time) then most women. It would just be completely unfair.

Well we aren't talking about "average" women. If a woman wanted to, she could train just as hard as a man could to build physical strength. It's just in our society, it is not looked at as desirable for a woman to be "big and muscular". Doesn't mean women can't be. :p

#11 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:11 PM

I've always understood the gender based sports being... due to phyisical strength... I mean in football and rugby, you couldn't have a mixed gender team eh?

With golf... I suppose it's slightly different. Strength is necessary... but having said that, men don't apply ALL their strength into taking a swing... and I'm sure a woman could match that strength.

It's an interesting debate. I recently wondered the same thing about snooker tournaments (the Brits just finished their snooker tourny).
Booya! <3

Didn't you see when apparantly the best female golfer there is was premitted to try and qualify for one fo the big tours? She didn't qualify because she lacked the power and thus fell behind.

I hate to be mean but in general, men are a lot bigger and stronger then women. Thats not being chauvinist, thats science. Even if women were allowed, they wouldn't stand much chance. There was afterall a female player in the nhl once. Lasted one period in an exhibition game.

#12 Freddy

Freddy
  • 5500 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:19 PM

If they're as good or better then some of the men, then why not? Go for it! :) Why not?

Michelle Wie needs to win something btw. :p

#13 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:12 PM

Im against it. Notice "Mens" Golf. MENS- DRIVE THAT THROUGH YOUR HEAD. Thankyou :) It should remain that way.

I see nothing wrong with a league that allows both though, just seperate from the Mens or Womans leauge though.

#14 Ilya

Ilya
  • 2419 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:14 PM

No probs if they are seperate...
but most of the time, when woamen play a sport its not that intresting when watching men play it because when men play there is more action...

#15 Funnlecake

Funnlecake
  • 2076 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:21 PM

No, its called mens golf, if it was mens/womens golf, then yes.

#16 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:32 PM

But is it fair to have men and women playing in "Men's golf" yet only having women playing in "women's golf". They should either fully integrate them together so there is no longer a men's nor women's golf, but just "Golf" or fully segregate them apart .
Well we aren't talking about "average" women. If a woman wanted to, she could train just as hard as a man could to build physical strength. It's just in our society, it is not looked at as desirable for a woman to be "big and muscular". Doesn't mean women can't be. :p

It is a physical thing, Its not physically possible for more than 75% of women to gain the strength that the majority of men can have. Its a testosterone thing. So unless your planing on injecting your self with steroids then it can't happen.

I think that they should not allow women to play with the men just so they wont be sexist. It is some times more interesting to watch men then women play. I prefer to watch women golf, but in other sports I wouldn't waste the time of day if it was women. Examples of this is things like hockey or football.

I don't see why in some sports like golf they couldn't have a mixed league though, and still keep a all male league and a all female league. That would make more sense.

#17 Ilya

Ilya
  • 2419 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:38 PM

I don't see why in some sports like golf they couldn't have a mixed league though, and still keep a all male league and a all female league. That would make more sense.

Because if woamen are weaker then men they would never win...

#18 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:45 PM

Thats what handicaps could be for.

#19 amyjia

amyjia
  • 854 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:49 PM

It is a physical thing, Its not physically possible for more than 75% of women to gain the strength that the majority of men can have. Its a testosterone thing. So unless your planing on injecting your self with steroids then it can't happen.

Hmm not possible? My argument isn't that a "normal average" woman is stronger then a "normal average" man. I'm saying if a women trained herself in a sport, she could be very strong, yes as strong as a man. Gender really wouldn't matter. What would matter however would be size, Like height and weight.The size of a person can promote, or hinder strength abilities. Both men and women come in a array of heights and weights. Like in wrestling, you only fight someone in your weight class. Some people even allow boys and girls to compete because they say it is far for the boys and girls who are the same size to wrestle. one another.

Edited by amyjia, 11 May 2006 - 07:51 PM.

#20 Christopher Robin

Christopher Robin
  • 5302 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:17 PM

No, get back in the kitchen and make me a pie bitch!

haha xD

Mens

Womens

there's a difference... and yeah, sometimes guys DO use all of their strength O____O

I think mens in mens, womens in womens. simple... but people are so retarted...

EDIT: ACTUALLY, amy, the girl wouldn't be as strong, because guys train too... and girls don't have as much testosterone...

Edited by trixx, 12 May 2006 - 01:19 PM.

#21 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:46 PM

Hmm not possible? My argument isn't that a "normal average" woman is stronger then a "normal average" man. I'm saying if a women trained herself in a sport, she could be very strong, yes as strong as a man. Gender really wouldn't matter. What would matter however would be size, Like height and weight.The size of a person can promote, or hinder strength abilities. Both men and women come in a array of heights and weights. Like in wrestling, you only fight someone in your weight class. Some people even allow boys and girls to compete because they say it is far for the boys and girls who are the same size to wrestle. one another.

A women that trained would be stronger then an average strengthed man, they still wouldn't be able to compete with men that trained as much. Men, paticularily those who are professional athletes are a lot bigger then a female as a professional athlete.

As for the wrestling example, I don't like it. It'd be way to easy to accidentally group a girl in a match. On the other topic I did get a big laugh from watching some big mouth "tough guy" get his ass handed to him in wrestling by our schools top girl. She just dove as soon as the match began and tackeled him to the ground :p

#22 Vegas

Vegas
  • Why So Serious?

• 2323 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:59 PM

Watever I say yes. It'd be the girl's choice. But if they place last cuz they can't get a drive over like 500yrds? like the men(I dont know golf) they shouldnt complain.

#23 Archon

Archon
  • 2142 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 04:50 PM

A 500 yard drive happens only during the those stupid long drive competitions . :p

#24 Funnlecake

Funnlecake
  • 2076 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:38 PM

i was thinking too, women should play in mens kick boxing too. be kick ass

#25 cokiwah

cokiwah
  • 1655 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:29 AM

Only if men are allowed to play in womens leagues, too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users