Crack-ass invisibility theory

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 travis

travis
  • 5408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:35 PM

Now, in my mind this seems pretty solid - but I came up with this around 4:45 am, while dozing off to sleep.

So, going of the point that someone said, "If you could run faster than the speed of light, then you could turn around and see yourself coming." Now, if you could do this, it would only be your image that you would see coming - not your body. So, your body would still be there, but you would be ahead of your image, your reflection - so you wouldn't be seen...but your mass would still be there.

This makes perfect sense to me, I don't know how to clarify it any more =\

I do know its impossible to travel faster than the speed of light, but throw that law out the window for just a moment.

Discuss

Edited by Travis, 25 June 2006 - 12:42 PM.

#2 Freddy

Freddy
  • 5500 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:39 PM

Well, the words you said in this theory make it sound really confusing, but I think I know what you are saying. The only thing that I dont understand would be your image, how would that exactly be behind you? Becuase your mass doesn't move at the speed of light that you are running at? There would have to be some physics involved with this, and I haven't taken much physics yet, so I don't really know much about this theory. Nice thinking though Travis.

#3 travis

travis
  • 5408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:41 PM

If your mass moves FASTER than the speed of light, you would get ahead of the light being reflected from you, pretty much "lag".

I do know its impossible to travel faster than the speed of light, but throw that law out the window for just a moment.

#4 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:42 PM

Easiest way to get invisibility in my mind would be to make a cloak of optic fibres to literally bend the light around your body :p

*Patents idea*

Edited by Laser Wave, 25 June 2006 - 12:43 PM.

#5 travis

travis
  • 5408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:47 PM

Easiest way to get invisibility in my mind would be to make a cloak of optic fibres to literally bend the light around your body :p

*Patents idea*

Something like that has already been done :p its a cloak with bajillions of micro cameras on the back, and a screen on the front.

#6 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:48 PM

Something like that has already been done :p its a cloak with bajillions of micro cameras on the back, and a screen on the front.

Dammit, i was going to pay off my student loans with that idea... :crybaby:

Stupid psychics reading my mind when i'm not wearing my foil hat...

#7 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2006 - 01:42 PM

I understand exactly what you are saying, and I never thought about it that way. I was the one who said something similar to your quote, I believe I said if you could travel faster, not run, cause that would hurt my legs o.O

The thing is, you better be pretty far ahead of yourself (That sounded funny) if you want your invisibility to work long enough.

#8 �ƻ

�ƻ
  • 662 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:11 PM

*Patents idea*

umm...ever hear of Harry Potter. I think they used that idea in the Harry Potter books but called it "Magic" anyways this whole thread is confusing my small mind. I don't get anything that is being said. .....walks away :whistling:

#9 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:33 PM

Not possible :(

To move at the speed of light, the friction of the air on your body would heat you up so fast you would die. Although with inatimate objects it's possible.

But yes, completely true. Moving faster than might means that your mass would be in front fo your image.

But also, your mass would increase exponentially as your speed increased. Your muscles could not mvoe you. Infact....if you went fast nough it is quite feasible for you to collapse in on yourself. Ouch.

Leave it to Cata to ruin your plans :(

#10 Vegas

Vegas
  • Why So Serious?

• 2323 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:36 PM

Not possible :(

To move at the speed of light, the friction of the air on your body would heat you up so fast you would die. Although with inatimate objects it's possible.

But yes, completely true. Moving faster than might means that your mass would be in front fo your image.

But also, your mass would increase exponentially as your speed increased. Your muscles could not mvoe you. Infact....if you went fast nough it is quite feasible for you to collapse in on yourself. Ouch.
Leave it to Cata to ruin your plans :(

Awww jus when I was gonna try.

#11 travis

travis
  • 5408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:38 PM

O_o CATAA

I said that twiiice!

#12 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:41 PM

In theory, assuming that you can move faster than light (which has been already stated as possible) you could become invisible. Then again, what happens when you try to slow down?

#13 Martin

Martin
  • User under investigation - Potential scammer

• 772 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:42 PM

Throwing out that law for now... Thats cool. It took me a minute to understand it but I think it makes sense.

#14 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:53 PM

Travis. I never said it was impossible to go the speed of light.

I jsut simply pointed out what would ahppen if you did. If you throw those out, then you are throwing out your main point.

:p

#15 Cuteangel333

Cuteangel333
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:15 PM

Heh, if you send information over the speed of light, you'd send the information BEFORE you even click 'send' (literally).

Get your mind around that.

Oh, and your idea is impossible.

Edited by InfamousX241, 25 June 2006 - 05:15 PM.

#16 travis

travis
  • 5408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:18 PM

That is quite a concept to grasp o.o

Infamous, I realize its impossible, but it could work if not for that whole speed of light thing.

#17 Cuteangel333

Cuteangel333
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:25 PM

That is quite a concept to grasp o.o

Infamous, I realize its impossible, but it could work if not for that whole speed of light thing.

Haha, it's not a 'minor setback' or anything, it's totally against physics.

However I'd like it if there were more scientific debates like this in this particular section, it's nothing personal like religion or politics and we could learn a lot.

#18 Freddy

Freddy
  • 5500 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:30 PM

If your mass moves FASTER than the speed of light, you would get ahead of the light being reflected from you, pretty much "lag".

Oh, yeah, I got it, your shadow would be like really far away from where your original shadow was. Just if you were going faster then the speed of light. I got it now. :p

#19 Funnlecake

Funnlecake
  • 2076 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:40 PM

its not that hard, theres already scientists working on making a cloth that can bend a ray around the cloth.

#20 chaoticguymike

chaoticguymike
  • 2221 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:46 PM

Well, what would be the point of being invisible if you were moving so fast you couldn't go around and screw with people?

#21 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:29 PM

It is not impossible for particles to travel faster than the speed of light.

People, cannot. Particles, can.

^_^

#22 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:41 PM

It is not impossible for particles to travel faster than the speed of light.

People, cannot. Particles, can.

^_^

Then lets make the particles making up people travel that fast! :D :D

#23 Cam

Cam
  • 1690 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:49 PM

You would have to be traveling really fast for that.
And I dont think anyone would be faster than the speed of light.

#24 Harley

Harley
  • 3138 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 02:04 AM

You would have to be traveling really fast for that.
And I dont think anyone would be faster than the speed of light.

Its just in theory :p It dosn't mean someone is faster.

#25 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2006 - 02:14 AM

Heh, if you send information over the speed of light, you'd send the information BEFORE you even click 'send' (literally).

Get your mind around that.

Oh, and your idea is impossible.

Its called a mouse-move event :p

About your theory. I remember my cousin saying that einstein said that if you travelled faster than light your mass would be infinte. I dunno if he was speaking truth or just some joke off the bottle of beer he was drinking.

just my two cents :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users