Quantcast

Photo

Why can't Britain treat our fallen war heroes like the Americans treat theirs?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
68 replies to this topic

#1 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:28 AM

I read the folowing article a few days ago and thought it was brilliant. It is essentially about the differences between the way the US and UK treats its soldiers upon their return home whether they be alive or dead.

It is written by Piers Morgan.

Please don't come into this thread thinking I am a supporter of the war. I just recognise the fact that soldiers are over there doing what they are told. Don't bring arguments from other topics in here either please.

http://www.dailymail...in_page_id=1770

Try to remember that if this were WWII we would see our soldiers as heroes. They did not choose to go to Iraq or Afghanistan, they were sent there because they wish to defend their country.

Let this thread be about the people who do their duty with respect and honour. Forget the soldiers who abuse innocent people etc. That is not what this thread is about.

Discuss the treatment of soldiers when they come home and the way we honour their memory.

#2 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:10 AM

My father is in the VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) and they do huge greeting parties whenever a soldier comes back home. I mean the whole chapter goes. We also have a couple bikers on the team who go to the funerals and block them off so those WBC bastards won't hurt the families. Oh, and here we also do huge funerals where they have a firing squad which my dad is almost always a part of. I just can't believe you guys on the other side of the pond don't do the same. I mean I never knew it was so bad sad.gif Really beautifully written article. I mean he makes a great point that Britain never really had America's Vietnam. My father is a Vietnam vet and he got sneered at and spit on just like I bet those soldiers are being mistreated now in England. This is England's Vietnam. And your country will learn not to treat soldiers like shit :\

I think it's usually the younger generation who does it, though. I mean that's who did it in Vietnam. The older people... they know better. They know a LOT better. You respect your troops because they go through a lot of hardships just to fight for what they believe in and that's a lot more than what most of us can say.

#3 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:13 AM

That's because in World War II, there was no world media. Noone really knew what was going on, and the government could disseminate as much positive propaganda as they needed.
State Funerals are a part of that propaganda.

America still thinks it can fool their public with such heavy handed techniques.
And, amusingly enough, they probably can.

#4 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE (Tetiel @ Apr 11 2008, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really beautifully written article.

Really? I was thinking the exact opposite. The author seemed to go on a rant that did not pertain at all to how the soldiers are treated. I don't know, I just don't think that is good journalism.

#5 Bryn AKA Interhacker

Bryn AKA Interhacker
  • 1885 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:05 PM

"Why can't Britain treat our fallen war heroes like the Americans treat theirs?"

Maybe because its america thats shot and killed a nice percentage of the british fallen heros!

#6 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (interhacker @ Apr 11 2008, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Why can't Britain treat our fallen war heroes like the Americans treat theirs?"

Maybe because its america thats shot and killed a nice percentage of the british fallen heros!

rolleyes.gif Stats?

"Friendly fire - isn't." -Unknown

#7 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (Hawk @ Apr 11 2008, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really? I was thinking the exact opposite. The author seemed to go on a rant that did not pertain at all to how the soldiers are treated. I don't know, I just don't think that is good journalism.

whistling.gif Perhaps because I chose to ignore the second half xD And actually a lot of the deaths of at least American soldiers are friendly fire but that's expected in a war. Unfortunately accidents happen but it's no big deal. There was a LOT more of it in WWII. I mean it just happens :\ It's a part of war.

#8 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (interhacker @ Apr 11 2008, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even so, that doesn't mean you shouldn't respect them tongue.gif

#9 Bryn AKA Interhacker

Bryn AKA Interhacker
  • 1885 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (Tetiel @ Apr 11 2008, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
whistling.gif Perhaps because I chose to ignore the second half xD And actually a lot of the deaths of at least American soldiers are friendly fire but that's expected in a war. Unfortunately accidents happen but it's no big deal. There was a LOT more of it in WWII. I mean it just happens :\ It's a part of war.

I CANT believe you just said that! "accidents happen but it's no big deal" wtf tell that to a family thats just lost there young husband with 3 kids and a family!

explain to them that he died because am american forgot who he was fighing against and shot him, but not to worry, because its no big deal...!

#10 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (interhacker @ Apr 11 2008, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I CANT believe you just said that! "accidents happen but it's no big deal" wtf tell that to a family thats just lost there young husband with 3 kids and a family!

explain to them that he died because am american forgot who he was fighing against and shot him, but not to worry, because its no big deal...!

Accidents happen. I don't think it's fair to call american troops hobbits though. They might not be as well trained, but they're all fighting for the same cause.

#11 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:42 PM

Kudos to the brits for being more aware of what the war is really about and not glorifying the status of a solider.

#12 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE (FlashGM @ Apr 11 2008, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kudos to the brits for being more aware of what the war is really about and not glorifying the status of a solider.

It isn't really Americans who are glorifying their war heroes (even though some do) . It's just the mass media that's doing it. I'm sure if the brit news glorified their war heroes we would think Britain glorifies their war heroes also.

#13 Bryn AKA Interhacker

Bryn AKA Interhacker
  • 1885 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (pyke @ Apr 11 2008, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Accidents happen. I don't think it's fair to call american troops hobbits though. They might not be as well trained, but they're all fighting for the same cause.

Am not debating who has the right ethos for fighting, i just disagree with how peoples lives be it british or american are so worthless in tetiel`s eyes, " but it's no big deal"...

Well i hope conscription takes you to iraq tetiel, and you will have a better right to judge if being shot and killed by your fighing brothers is considered "no big deal"

#14 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (interhacker @ Apr 11 2008, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am not debating who has the right ethos for fighting, i just disagree with how peoples lives be it british or american are so worthless in tetiel`s eyes, " but it's no big deal"...

Well i hope conscription takes you to iraq tetiel, and you will have a better right to judge if being shot and killed by your fighing brothers is considered "no big deal"

Shot and killed by your fighting brothers!?!

#15 Bryn AKA Interhacker

Bryn AKA Interhacker
  • 1885 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:10 PM

yes fighing brothers....as in killed by friendly fire?

when england and usa go to war together there not countrys fighting to boost reputation,,there fighting together..therefore they are brothers, they are sopposed to look out for each other

#16 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (interhacker @ Apr 11 2008, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes fighing brothers....as in killed by friendly fire?

when england and usa go to war together there not countrys fighting to boost reputation,,there fighting together..therefore they are brothers, they are sopposed to look out for each other

Oops. wasn't aware of that =P

Edited by FlashGM, 11 April 2008 - 06:36 PM.

#17 SupermanFTM

SupermanFTM
  • 5817 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (FlashGM @ Apr 11 2008, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aw, usually I agree with you Flash but I've got to take the other stand on this one...

Soldiers fight for what they believe in. They have a great sense of pride and courage enough to be willing to die for the things they see as right or proper. It's not about the war, it's about the soldier. Any one that is dedicated enough to their beliefs that they're willing to go through the training in the military and then being shipped away from the people they love to risk their lives has my respect. smile.gif

#18 Bryn AKA Interhacker

Bryn AKA Interhacker
  • 1885 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (Tetiel @ Apr 11 2008, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The evedence cant lie.

QUOTE (Toxic-Snipe @ Apr 11 2008, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It isn't really Americans who are glorifying their war heroes (even though some do) . It's just the mass media that's doing it. I'm sure if the brit news glorified their war heroes we would think Britain glorifies their war heroes also.

As far as the war goes, in england its kind of a rage point, the british media sees gorge bush as just of a big threat as they see bin laden, the media have always run a propaganda story reguarding the war, the war is seen as Tony Blair trying to kiss bush`s arse with the only point of fighting being that the usa can stock up on oil.

The british people have been trying to ge the goverment to withdraw its troops from iraq for a while now so you can imagine when news comes across of a friendly fire death , the english goverment and the usa are always on the critisim lips of the media

#19 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (King Superman @ Apr 11 2008, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aw, usually I agree with you Flash but I've got to take the other stand on this one...

Soldiers fight for what they believe in. They have a great sense of pride and courage enough to be willing to die for the things they see as right or proper. It's not about the war, it's about the soldier. Any one that is dedicated enough to their beliefs that they're willing to go through the training in the military and then being shipped away from the people they love to risk their lives has my respect. smile.gif

I disagree because the war a soldier is fighting in tells a lot about them. And the fact that these soldiers are fighting in a war that's so unjustified is where they lose my respect.

#20 Bryn AKA Interhacker

Bryn AKA Interhacker
  • 1885 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (FlashGM @ Apr 11 2008, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I disagree because the war a soldier is fighting in tells a lot about them. And the fact that these soldiers are fighting in a war that's so unjustified is where they lose my respect.

I disagree Flash

The soldiers cant choose whats wars to fight in, so if they agree with it or not they have to fight, your aim should go towards the personal who decided it was vital to go to war.

#21 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (interhacker @ Apr 11 2008, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I disagree Flash

The soldiers cant choose whats wars to fight in, so if they agree with it or not they have to fight, your aim should go towards the personal who decided it was vital to go to war.

What are you talking about it? These soldiers aren't conscripts, they had a choice.

#22 Bryn AKA Interhacker

Bryn AKA Interhacker
  • 1885 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:48 PM

i was under the opinion thats once you signed up to the army your ass is theres for the duration of the contract, thus you cant pick and choose where to go...

#23 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE (interhacker @ Apr 11 2008, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i was under the opinion thats once you signed up to the army your ass is theres for the duration of the contract, thus you cant pick and choose where to go...

Well I wasn't....=P

#24 Bryn AKA Interhacker

Bryn AKA Interhacker
  • 1885 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:54 PM

Gesh flash lol, are you testing me, youve got me self douting now....theres nothing such thing as conscription in england.

But i do know that once youve signed up be it conscription or not you have no say in where you go.

i wonder if you refuse to go to iraq..would the punishment be jail?

#25 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE (interhacker @ Apr 11 2008, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gesh flash lol, are you testing me, youve got me self douting now....theres nothing such thing as conscription in england.

But i do know that once youve signed up be it conscription or not you have no say in where you go.

i wonder if you refuse to go to iraq..would the punishment be jail?

Nowadays I think you get a "dishonorable discharge". But you can't spell "dishonorable" without "honorable". tongue.gif Either way, do your own research into the war you'll be convinced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users