Quantcast

Photo

Do ghosts exist?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_Ali_*

Guest_Ali_*

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:17 PM

Well I lived in my old house for about 14 years and for years you'd sometimes be able to smell fresh cigarette smoke on the stairs despite nobody ever smoking. The house is set back from the road so it could never be blamed on somebody walking past, the only possible explanation would have been one of us smoking but nobody did.

And I can feel my dad's presence sometimes although I expect that's just in my mind. But you know how sometimes you don't need to look round to see who just walked into a room? You can just tell, there's a feeling there...I can quite often 'tell' my dad's there. I was in the pub earlier watching the football and I had to look around because I could have sworn he was there even though I knew it was impossible. Every so often I'll be sat on the sofa watching a film and I'll have to turn around because I feel like he's just walked into the room. It's strange. Even though as a rule I believe everything just stops when you die, I'm still fairly sure that he's still around.

#27 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (Kitsune @ Aug 17 2008, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you trying for a baby? I'm pretty sure I can't do it over the internet though tongue.gif Always been an in person thing, and usually I need to know the person or be around them for a little while.

Well then I'm shit outta luck. lol. I'd like to have another. I wanted 8 a long time ago, but that quickly changed when I had my daughter...lol.

QUOTE (Ali @ Aug 17 2008, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I lived in my old house for about 14 years and for years you'd sometimes be able to smell fresh cigarette smoke on the stairs despite nobody ever smoking. The house is set back from the road so it could never be blamed on somebody walking past, the only possible explanation would have been one of us smoking but nobody did.

And I can feel my dad's presence sometimes although I expect that's just in my mind. But you know how sometimes you don't need to look round to see who just walked into a room? You can just tell, there's a feeling there...I can quite often 'tell' my dad's there. I was in the pub earlier watching the football and I had to look around because I could have sworn he was there even though I knew it was impossible. Every so often I'll be sat on the sofa watching a film and I'll have to turn around because I feel like he's just walked into the room. It's strange. Even though as a rule I believe everything just stops when you die, I'm still fairly sure that he's still around.

I don't think its in your mind. I think he is there just watching over you, or checking up on you. If you are sure he is still around, then everything doesn't stop when you die, lol. Maybe he is there trying to let you know there is something after death...

#28 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:44 AM

QUOTE (Josh @ Aug 17 2008, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While the existence of them could be supported by my worldview I've never spent much time in that area of study since it seems completely pointless to me.

I don't think its pointless...if we can prove that there is something else out there, that would shake the religion community. It would destroy some of them.

Edited by reaper1488, 18 August 2008 - 06:44 AM.

#29 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (Josh @ Aug 18 2008, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I meant it was pointless according to my worldview. This means that as a Christian trying to prove ghosts exist is pointless because the outcome doesn't affect Christianity anyways.

I think it would...but thats just me.

#30 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE (reaper1488 @ Aug 17 2008, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ghosts supposidly show themselves, (make contact, etc.) off of your energy, or other peoples energy.

How do you know that?

QUOTE (Kitsune @ Aug 17 2008, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be highly sceptical of anyone claiming to have proof. Experience however is another story. Yes there are people who might think they see things and it's really an optical illusion or figment of the imagination or confuse reality with a dream, etc. There are others though that I believe have the ability to communicate, and/or see spirits or ghosts.
I don't believe everyone who claims they can see or communicate with ghosts (and those that are fakes should be locked up in my opinion), but there are some who I believe can. I have never experienced seeing a ghost, but I know a couple in my family who have. They have nothing to gain by saying it, and it's something they hold close. I know that I have a certain... awareness that other people don't, particularly in regard to pregnancy (I can almost always tell if someone is pregnant, from fairly early on before they're showing. And can tell the sex of a baby before it's born, I've never been wrong). While this isn't the same as seeing or communicating with ghosts, it makes me a little more... likely to believe it's possible.

Tbh, I'd rather believe the personal stories people tell about ghosts rather than the pictures and videos and etc. Not all the stories but at least they're not so desperate to prove it to other people. I don't think ghosts would show themselves to an asshole who wants to exploit them.

QUOTE (Josh @ Aug 18 2008, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I meant it was pointless according to my worldview. This means that as a Christian trying to prove ghosts exist is pointless because the outcome doesn't affect Christianity anyways.

It does because they're supposed to be in heaven or hell not earth.

#31 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (FlashGM @ Aug 20 2008, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do you know that?

I guess I really don't know. I've just heard that they use your energy to have stuff happen...I have no idea if they haunt places when no one is around...lol. I've never been in contact with a ghost before, so your guess is as good as mine.

#32 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE (Josh @ Aug 20 2008, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well sorry for being vague but I suppose it does depend on the definition of ghosts. If it's truly the living dead, then yes, that would somewhat affect Christianity. But the Bible says multiple times that both angels and demons roam the Earth. While I'm very skeptical about things like possession (and I could write an essay on why I believe this doesn't exist anymore) if I ever saw something that resembled a ghost I would think it's a demon. I know my uncle once saw a man on a corner with a very very dark and twisted face staring at him. Scared out of his mind he pulled his sister (my mom) around to see it but when my mom looked there was nothing there. Some might excuse that as a ghost, but I would call it a demon.

I really don't think that all ghosts could be classified as angels or demons (remember, this is all my opinion...lol) because not everyone that goes to heaven is an angel and not every "bad" person that supposedly goes to hell is a demon. I use angel and demon very carefully, cause those 2 are closest to god and the devil himself. (which is what I was taught) But...as for the ghost issue...I'm sure there are bad ones out there (because they have unfinished business...etc) but I think that loved ones can also come to earth to check up on us...not even saying that they show themselves to us. I've had a feeling before when I was alone that I really wasn't alone...I can't prove it, but I could feel it. Thats also another reason why I think it has something to do with your energy. I was raised Catholic so I know how strict a religion can be.

#33 Just Another User

Just Another User
  • 1586 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:39 PM

i really should stop reading this thread at like 3am ._.

#34 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (reaper1488 @ Aug 20 2008, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really don't think that all ghosts could be classified as angels or demons (remember, this is all my opinion...lol) because not everyone that goes to heaven is an angel and not every "bad" person that supposedly goes to hell is a demon. I use angel and demon very carefully, cause those 2 are closest to god and the devil himself. (which is what I was taught) But...as for the ghost issue...I'm sure there are bad ones out there (because they have unfinished business...etc) but I think that loved ones can also come to earth to check up on us...not even saying that they show themselves to us. I've had a feeling before when I was alone that I really wasn't alone...I can't prove it, but I could feel it. Thats also another reason why I think it has something to do with your energy. I was raised Catholic so I know how strict a religion can be.

It's human/animal instinct to become more alert and edgy when you're alone.

QUOTE (Just Another User @ Aug 20 2008, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Posting about it defeats the purpose.

#35 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (Just Another User @ Aug 20 2008, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol...why? People are only scared/nervous/add whatever word here...because of what they see in Hollywood. I mean honestly...I don't think any girl from Japan is going to be in your closet tonight. Hollywood spins things to get people scared and upset. If you think about it...why would someone find you (out of billions of others) just to scare you? If it was a loved one...wouldn't they try and make it a pleasant experience for you? Get some sleep...and try not to dream, otherwise Freddy will get ya! BOO! lol...seriously, stop reading and get some sleep.

QUOTE (Josh @ Aug 20 2008, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never said that people themselves become angels or demons. They are a completely different entity created by God. My view was that people who *think* they are seeing a ghost are either not seeing it or possibly seeing a demon or angel.

My original point was though that seeing any entity that resembles a ghost would not affect my worldview that much simply because it could always be an angel and/or demon. Like the story I gave earlier I think that demons do really roam the Earth and I've seen many stories like my uncles except instead of people calling it a demon they called it a ghost.

You might be correct. If you don't mind me asking...why are there so many demons running around on earth then? Why wouldn't God send down angels to "even" the score? I'm not trying to be a bitch, just trying to see where your coming from. Its interesting to learn about people and what they believe in...it shows quite a bit about them!

#36 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (Josh @ Aug 20 2008, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's really not discussed much in the Bible and not a topic easily studied from external sources so I couldn't give much evidence. I simply know that God said demons exist and roam the Earth, anymore than that is pure speculation. To be honest though I have about just as many "angel" stories as "demon" stories.

You have to understand it from my perspective though. I've spent most of my life seeking the truth and have ended up with a God that has characteristics identical to those in the Bible. Not to mention the mountain of other evidence that supports the Bible I've stuck my faith in the Bible being God's word. I don't just believe in angels and demons because I want to or it sounds cool, but because God said they existed. Anymore than that is out of my range.

I was raised Catholic and understand (sometimes) what the bible has said. I also have talked to many of priests that completely agree with you 100% about the subject. I just don't understand what God wouldn't want people knowing that there is a heaven. I mean, wouldn't you want to show people out there that when they do die...this is what it'll be like. I know we are having more of a discussion about religion now, more than ghosts...but religion is always something I can debate about...lol.

#37 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (Josh @ Aug 20 2008, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well if you really are interested in my response to that just PM me and I'll be more than willing to respond. I don't want to get off topic though.

Fair enough...I'll make sure to PM you when I get done so we can chat.

#38 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:12 AM

Topics like these are always doomed to inevitably lead to religion. Debate here, no one gives a fuck.

#39 zigzag

zigzag
  • 444 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:15 AM

No. Ghosts are some idealist bullshit; the only world we can observe and participate in is only that of the material plane.

Edited by Fred Hampton, 21 August 2008 - 06:15 AM.

#40 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:58 AM

QUOTE (Fred Hampton @ Aug 21 2008, 07:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. Ghosts are some idealist bullshit; the only world we can observe and participate in is only that of the material plane.

So what happens then when you die?

#41 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:08 AM

QUOTE (reaper1488 @ Aug 21 2008, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So what happens then when you die?

You rot like everything else...humans are not special.

#42 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE (Waser Lave @ Aug 21 2008, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You rot like everything else...humans are not special.

You seriously believe thats it? You rot? After all the time earth took to make itself habitable and the fact that everything is just right in order to support human life...you think we rot? sad.gif Man, thats depressing.

#43 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:16 AM

QUOTE (reaper1488 @ Aug 21 2008, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You seriously believe thats it? You rot? After all the time earth took to make itself habitable and the fact that everything is just right in order to support human life...you think we rot? sad.gif Man, thats depressing.

The earth wasn't made for humans...we've only actually been around for a few thousand years whereas other animals like crocodiles and sharks have been around for millions of years. It's just sheer arrogance to suggest that humans are any more special than any other species of animal. 1we8.gif

Yes, we rot.

#44 zigzag

zigzag
  • 444 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:24 AM

So make the most of your life while you can because there ain't no such thing as an after-life, what you see is what you get. Partly why I'm a firm believer in revolutionary suicide - dedicating one's life and death to the positive progression of society, rather than dying by hegemonically imposed reactionary conditions such as depression, drugs and alcohol abuse, etc.

Edited by Fred Hampton, 21 August 2008 - 07:24 AM.

#45 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (Waser Lave @ Aug 21 2008, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The earth wasn't made for humans...we've only actually been around for a few thousand years whereas other animals like crocodiles and sharks have been around for millions of years. It's just sheer arrogance to suggest that humans are any more special than any other species of animal. 1we8.gif

Yes, we rot.

It doesn't matter if the earth is made for humans or not, we are here now. Anyway, there has got to be something more than that. I don't think we just rot.

Edited by reaper1488, 21 August 2008 - 07:29 AM.

#46 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (reaper1488 @ Aug 21 2008, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It doesn't matter if the earth is made for humans or not, we are here now. Anyway, there has got to be something more than that. I don't think we just rot.

Well, what happens to cockroaches after they die? Is there ghost cockroaches running around? Do they go to 'heaven' or 'hell'? Or do they just rot?

#47 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:40 AM

QUOTE (Waser Lave @ Aug 21 2008, 08:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, what happens to cockroaches after they die? Is there ghost cockroaches running around? Do they go to 'heaven' or 'hell'? Or do they just rot?

I have no idea...but whos to say that they don't? I've never died and come back...for all I know, your right, but for all you know, I'm right. Thats why I love to argue...I mean debate.

#48 zigzag

zigzag
  • 444 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE (reaper1488 @ Aug 21 2008, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have no idea...but whos to say that they don't?

Using that logic, who's to say the tooth fairy doesn't exist? Or the boogeyman? You have a very foolish hold on reality.

Edited by Fred Hampton, 21 August 2008 - 10:34 AM.

#49 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE (Fred Hampton @ Aug 21 2008, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Using that logic, who's to say the tooth fairy doesn't exist? Or the boogeyman? You have a very foolish hold on reality.

I have a foolish hold on reality? lol..yeah. I never debated whether or not the tooth fairy is real or not. I'm talking about some form of existence after death. Thats a TON more plausible than the tooth fairy or boogyman. You don't know if there is life after death...or something...do you? You have nothing to prove me wrong...just as I don't have much to prove you wrong either, but to compair that to the tooth fairy, well thats got to be the oddest thing I've read on here so far.

#50 zigzag

zigzag
  • 444 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:55 AM

For the sake of argument, I believe in the existence of a tooth fairy, just as you believe in the after-life. I'd like to see you prove me wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users