Do ghosts exist?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:21 PM

Ok, so I'm trying out this debate thing. Its whether or not you believe ghosts are real. Do they talk, move stuff, make themselves "known"??

In my opinion, ghosts are very much apart of this earth, just like you and I. They are here for unfinished business and until they complete their task, they are stuck here. Also, the "weak minded" people that have passed (heavy drug users, alcoholics, murderers, etc) may stay here cause they are not aware that they really have died. Lets get this debate going...lol. While there is some evidence out there of pictures, etc...I can't prove that they are here...what do you think?

#2 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:41 PM

I've never really thought about it, but I think I'd need to do some researching before determining if they are real or not. I have seen some pictures and videos of them, but they could have easily been edited tongue.gif

#3 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:46 PM

I was convinced for 12 hours 100% sure they were real one night when I was in the shower tongue.gif I got out and looked out the window and saw a cloudy figure looking in. Bolted through my house with just a towel on yelling tongue.gif sad.gif Next morning I found out it was the vent for our dryer on the floor below lol tongue.gif

#4 Just Another User

Just Another User
  • 1586 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:52 PM

yes... they exist... i had some particularly traumatic experiences as kid with stuff being pulled off bookshelves in my room, to things hitting me on the head when i'm hiding under the covers, i also had nightmares very often. As i got older the weird things stopped happening so often although there was one time last year i fell asleep with my computer monitor on thats opposite my bed. I dreamt that i was watching the screen and this rotting head on a stick grew bigger and bigger, then came out of the screen and right up infront of me staring at me. I was so scared i froze, couldn't do anything, i then blinked and it was gone, and i was drenched in freezing cold sweat, wide awake.... did i dream that or not? was very scary.

#5 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:57 PM

If they did exist don't you think of the billions of people who have died over the years that there'd be a hell of a lot more sightings? They'd be floating around everywhere. tongue.gif

#6 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (Waser Lave @ Aug 17 2008, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If they did exist don't you think of the billions of people who have died over the years that there'd be a hell of a lot more sightings? They'd be floating around everywhere. tongue.gif

That's a good point I've never thought of that before lol :\ Maybe only some people turn into ghosts tongue.gif

#7 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:02 PM

The nature of ghosts makes it impossible to prove their existence. But I do believe they are real. What they do and why they do it will never be known.

#8 iNextGenWarrior

iNextGenWarrior
  • 1635 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:06 PM

I think it's just your mind. If you think you see a ghost, well your going to see a ghost. They are'nt actually real things though. =/

#9 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:28 PM

Kitsune, I know that people can't really say 100% whether or not their our ghosts out there. While some people have pictures, videos and stuff like that like Jakerz said people can easily make that stuff up.

Waser, I think that only certain people stay on earth to "haunt" (or contact, etc.) people or places. Your right if all people that died where to stay on earth, well I think that we'd see a lot more ghosts.

Flash..I disagree with you. Ghosts supposidly show themselves, (make contact, etc.) off of your energy, or other peoples energy. I don't think just cause you say you wanna see a ghost you will. I think you have to be somewhat "ready" to see a ghost. I mean, most of the population would flip out if someone appeared before them.

#10 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (reaper1488 @ Aug 18 2008, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Waser, I think that only certain people stay on earth to "haunt" (or contact, etc.) people or places. Your right if all people that died where to stay on earth, well I think that we'd see a lot more ghosts.

And who/what could possibly distinguish who becomes a ghost and who doesn't? rolleyes.gif It just makes no sense at all lol...

#11 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (Waser Lave @ Aug 17 2008, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And who/what could possibly distinguish who becomes a ghost and who doesn't? rolleyes.gif It just makes no sense at all lol...

The ghost sorting hat obviously rolleyes.gif

#12 Vegas

Vegas
  • Why So Serious?

• 2323 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:36 PM

I used to say ghosts didnt exist. Now theres one in my room everytime I go to sleep.

#13 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:45 PM

ghost is bullshit

#14 Daniel#1

Daniel#1
  • 550 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (Cyo @ Aug 17 2008, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ghost is bullshit

That made me lol. I believe in ghosts, but i can be skeptic about the subject at times because there really is no proof to it i guess.

#15 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (Waser Lave @ Aug 17 2008, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think ANYONE chooses to become a ghost, its all about your life experience. Let me make an example...lets say your life is "average" and you experiment with drugs. Get into it big time, putting all your time and effort into getting high. You shut your family, friends and loved ones out of your life. You overdose. In my opinion, you'd then become a ghost...stuck here until you can fulfill what you were supposed to accomplish in life. You never got to say "I love you" to your parents, or whomever...you need to be forgiven for purposefully wrecking your life. You can "see" that your loved ones blame themselves for your death (we should have helped more, if only I said this, if we only did that...etc.) I think people like that do become ghosts so they right their wrongs.

QUOTE (Kitsune @ Aug 17 2008, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be highly sceptical of anyone claiming to have proof. Experience however is another story. Yes there are people who might think they see things and it's really an optical illusion or figment of the imagination or confuse reality with a dream, etc. There are others though that I believe have the ability to communicate, and/or see spirits or ghosts.
I don't believe everyone who claims they can see or communicate with ghosts (and those that are fakes should be locked up in my opinion), but there are some who I believe can. I have never experienced seeing a ghost, but I know a couple in my family who have. They have nothing to gain by saying it, and it's something they hold close. I know that I have a certain... awareness that other people don't, particularly in regard to pregnancy (I can almost always tell if someone is pregnant, from fairly early on before they're showing. And can tell the sex of a baby before it's born, I've never been wrong). While this isn't the same as seeing or communicating with ghosts, it makes me a little more... likely to believe it's possible.

I agree with you Kitsune...there are a bunch of quacks out there praying off people that believe that they really can talk to spirits. Ms (or was it Mrs.) Cleo comes to mind. *shudders* Thank goodness she is out of the game. I also, have never seen a ghost, I think I'd scream and run around the room like a madman. I believe that our family and friends that have passed ARE able to communicate with us, maybe by not talking with us, or appearing in a room...but by leaving us little things that will remind us of them. Every once in awhile, I strongly can smell the cologne that my grandpa used to wear. It comes for a moment and then disappears just as quickly. Could I be imagining it? Sure. But I have no reason to lie. There is nothing for me to gain out of that, but to know that he is still with me.

Kitsune, that is a great gift you have. Your lucky to have it. Even if you think its small...just imagine what people feel when you tell them something like that.

#16 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:29 PM

I don't believe in them. I believe the majority of cases have perfectly scientific explanations such as hallucinations due to electrical leaks or mold poisoning.

#17 iNextGenWarrior

iNextGenWarrior
  • 1635 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (reaper1488 @ Aug 17 2008, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think ANYONE chooses to become a ghost, its all about your life experience. Let me make an example...lets say your life is "average" and you experiment with drugs. Get into it big time, putting all your time and effort into getting high. You shut your family, friends and loved ones out of your life. You overdose. In my opinion, you'd then become a ghost...stuck here until you can fulfill what you were supposed to accomplish in life. You never got to say "I love you" to your parents, or whomever...you need to be forgiven for purposefully wrecking your life. You can "see" that your loved ones blame themselves for your death (we should have helped more, if only I said this, if we only did that...etc.) I think people like that do become ghosts so they right their wrongs.

I agree with you Kitsune...there are a bunch of quacks out there praying off people that believe that they really can talk to spirits. Ms (or was it Mrs.) Cleo comes to mind. *shudders* Thank goodness she is out of the game. I also, have never seen a ghost, I think I'd scream and run around the room like a madman. I believe that our family and friends that have passed ARE able to communicate with us, maybe by not talking with us, or appearing in a room...but by leaving us little things that will remind us of them. Every once in awhile, I strongly can smell the cologne that my grandpa used to wear. It comes for a moment and then disappears just as quickly. Could I be imagining it? Sure. But I have no reason to lie. There is nothing for me to gain out of that, but to know that he is still with me.

Kitsune, that is a great gift you have. Your lucky to have it. Even if you think its small...just imagine what people feel when you tell them something like that.

Well why do most "ghosts" haunt people than? blink.gif

#18 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (Tetiel @ Aug 17 2008, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't believe in them. I believe the majority of cases have perfectly scientific explanations such as hallucinations due to electrical leaks or mold poisoning.

Your right most do have a scientific explanation, but some don't. I don't know if you've ever watched Ghost Hunters (I love that show) but sometimes they have evidence that they can't disprove. They TRY and disprove things. Then sometimes they are left with things that they can't explain.

#19 Just Another User

Just Another User
  • 1586 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (Kevin @ Aug 18 2008, 03:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

they don't neccessarily... if you saw a ghost you'd probably be scared to shit but that doesn't mean the ghost was trying to scare you

#20 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (Kevin @ Aug 17 2008, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe to try and relay a message to you. I am sure that their are "evil" ghosts that were so self destructive in their life that they continue to try and cause problems. They don't realize their dead, or they don't want to go into heaven (or whatever you may call it...apply it to your religion)

QUOTE (Just Another User @ Aug 17 2008, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
they don't neccessarily... if you saw a ghost you'd probably be scared to shit but that doesn't mean the ghost was trying to scare you

I'd shit myself if I ever saw a ghost, but I honestly think that most people are scared because of Hollywood...between movies, tv shows etc, I'm sure that there was a "ghost" movie that scared us all as kids. We still have that impression that the weird girl next door might be talking to tvs or her head might spin around....lol.

#21 iNextGenWarrior

iNextGenWarrior
  • 1635 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE (Just Another User @ Aug 17 2008, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As in haunting, I mean when a ghost throws stuff at you (I got this from a show call A Haunting, on Discovery). And they cause terror in your house.

#22 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE (Kitsune @ Aug 17 2008, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The smell thing is probably a memory trigger and it can work both ways. So you remember something and suddenly you smell a smell that doesn't come from anywhere, or in turn you smell something in the room and a memory will be remembered.

And thanks smile.gif

No problem. If you ever have that feeling towards me...I'll be over joyed and send many internet hugs your way wink.gif lol.

QUOTE (Kevin @ Aug 17 2008, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As in haunting, I mean when a ghost throws stuff at you (I got this from a show call A Haunting, on Discovery). And they cause terror in your house.

Pokes above post. i'm sticking to that story, cause I really don't know why they want to cause issues for other people. i think they are troubled souls that haven't found their way.

#23 Brad

Brad
  • How about a magic trick?

• 4565 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:05 PM

No.

#24 Just Another User

Just Another User
  • 1586 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (Kevin @ Aug 18 2008, 03:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

isn't that a poltergeist?

#25 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (Just Another User @ Aug 17 2008, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
isn't that a poltergeist?

I believe thats the official name for it. lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users