Scientology...religion or cult?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:17 PM

So, just wondering what everyone else thinks/believes about Scientology. I personally (after looking through the site, reading things about it online...nothing too in depth) have found it to be a cult. If you are someone that haven't heard of it...your lucky. Here is their website, take a look at it and have an opinion ready wink.gif http://www.scientology.org/home.html

These people are crazy (once again, my opinion)...what do you think?

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:19 PM

Killer cult.

#3 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (Waser Lave @ Aug 20 2008, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Killer cult.

Lol...my thoughts exactly. I wonder when they'll bring out the Kool-aid???

#4 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (reaper1488 @ Aug 20 2008, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder when they'll bring out the Kool-aid???

Most people won't understand that statement. tongue.gif

#5 Just Another User

Just Another User
  • 1586 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (Waser Lave @ Aug 20 2008, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*raises hand*

anyway scientology is a load of BS end of

#6 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (Waser Lave @ Aug 20 2008, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol..I know...it'll get some people thinking!!!

QUOTE (Just Another User @ Aug 20 2008, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*raises hand*

anyway scientology is a load of BS end of

There was a cult out there quite awhile ago that used Kool Aid in a mass suicide. Take a look at the article here:
http://www.rapturere...r-kool-aid.html

#7 Just Another User

Just Another User
  • 1586 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (reaper1488 @ Aug 20 2008, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There was a cult out there quite awhile ago that used Kool Aid in a mass suicide. Take a look at the article here:
http://www.rapturere...r-kool-aid.html

Ahh that makes sense, i think there was a sketch of that on family guy?

#8 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (Just Another User @ Aug 20 2008, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't doubt it...

#9 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE (Just Another User @ Aug 20 2008, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, they did.

But it was about Jim Jones and Jonestown.

Scientology has claimed lives. And they claim more every day that people pay for auditing and OP levels. Xenu didn't just kill ancient thetans, he's killed humans too.

Anon is legion.

#10 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:07 PM

I'd like to point out that other "religions" claim lives as well. tongue.gif

#11 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE (pyke @ Aug 21 2008, 02:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which is why they're all as bad as each other. tongue.gif At least most of the others don't require you to sign over your life savings in order to be 'saved'. rolleyes.gif

#12 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE (Waser Lave @ Aug 20 2008, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At least most of the others don't require you to sign over your life savings in order to be 'saved'. rolleyes.gif

I agree...any religion that says you have to pay to get into heaven...well thats a crock of shit. I'm poor...so whatever religion is ok with that...I'm in...ROFL

#13 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (pyke @ Aug 20 2008, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
True, but other religions don't take control of lives like Scientology does. At its base level, it requires no oversight by Auditors. At its higher levels, your bank accounts, your earnings, your career, even your social life is dictated by Thetan-lords.

QUOTE (Waser Lave @ Aug 20 2008, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which is why they're all as bad as each other. tongue.gif At least most of the others don't require you to sign over your life savings in order to be 'saved'. rolleyes.gif
While I do have problems with other religions, I have nowhere near as many as I have with Scientology. It doesn't deserve its capitalization.

#14 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:21 PM

Religions don't cost upwards of $10,000 to join.

QUOTE (reaper1488 @ Aug 20 2008, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol...my thoughts exactly. I wonder when they'll bring out the Kool-aid???

That's a common misconception. It was actually Flavor-Aid.

#15 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (FlashGM @ Aug 20 2008, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Religions don't cost upwards of $10,000 to join.

That's a common misconception. It was actually Flavor-Aid.

Yeah, I know..my bad...oh well. I tried making a funny, and apparently failed miserably...thanks for pointing it out. LOL

10k to join Scientology? Your kidding...I hope your kidding.

#16 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (pyke @ Aug 20 2008, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And we tend to assign the name "religious cults" to them. For example there are several Mormon cults (note: I'm not saying Mormonism is a cult but some sects) like the fundamentalist church as well as the one which was in the news in Texas earlier this summer. Girls not of legal marrying age were being forced into marrying men over three times their age. A cult at least to me is defined as a religion or group of peple who try to control your lives and try to prevent you from leaving in threatening ways.

I have also seen Christian cults in action in my own personal life. My cousin Sarah got involved with one and when she tried to leave they threatened to take her children away. They send her and her family all over Africa for mission work and forced her daughter to get a GED instead of a high school diploma even though she wanted to get one. My uncle is afraid to call the FBI on them because they might put the family into hiding and he'd never get contact with her again. Even the cult news letter and the occasional update on what country they're in is a bit of comfort to him.

So yes, there are cults like that, but they are not what the main religion of Christianity is like. They are completely separate just believe in somewhat of the same BASIC things. So Scientology is a cult because it tries to control the lives of its followers. If the follower tries to leave they are harassed beyond belief. They refuse medical care to those who need it. By this definition I, unfortunately, also believe Christian Scientists to be a cult. Any religion which causes harm to its members is not a true religion to me be it actually hurting them or hurting them by denying them basic needs.

#17 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (Tetiel @ Aug 20 2008, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
By this definition I, unfortunately, also believe Christian Scientists to be a cult. Any religion which causes harm to its members is not a true religion to me be it actually hurting them or hurting them by denying them basic needs.

Christian Scientists? Wow..never heard that one before. Hmmm...I'll have to go look that up.

#18 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (reaper1488 @ Aug 20 2008, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Christian Scientists? Wow..never heard that one before. Hmmm...I'll have to go look that up.

They are Christians who believe that prayer can completely cure the sick. The more extreme ones do not go to a doctor. Recently, there was an incident that a little girl with diabetes died because her parents did not give her proper care. She did not get insulin shots. Huge debate over if it was child abuse or not and if a parent because of their beliefs has the right to neglect their child's medical needs.

#19 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE (Tetiel @ Aug 20 2008, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They are Christians who believe that prayer can completely cure the sick. The more extreme ones do not go to a doctor. Recently, there was an incident that a little girl with diabetes died because her parents did not give her proper care. She did not get insulin shots. Huge debate over if it was child abuse or not and if a parent because of their beliefs has the right to neglect their child's medical needs.

What kind of a moron is gonna debate that? Of course it was abuse, it was murder basically.

#20 rcadble

rcadble
  • 651 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:45 PM

Personally I think it's a cult. No hard feelings though, I'm not too into most religions.

#21 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:00 AM

QUOTE (FlashGM @ Aug 21 2008, 02:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What kind of a moron is gonna debate that? Of course it was abuse, it was murder basically.

People who argued it were typically more on the libertarian side. They argued that it is within the parents' rights to choose their own beliefs and follow them. They did not actually cause harm but only allowed nature to take its course. Which it is a touchy subject actually. Some people don't like the government telling them what they can or cannot do with their religion tongue.gif

#22 rcadble

rcadble
  • 651 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:08 AM

QUOTE (Tetiel @ Aug 21 2008, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People who argued it were typically more on the libertarian side. They argued that it is within the parents' rights to choose their own beliefs and follow them. They did not actually cause harm but only allowed nature to take its course. Which it is a touchy subject actually. Some people don't like the government telling them what they can or cannot do with their religion tongue.gif

I think at this point it's not a matter of being religious, it's a matter of being delusional and irrational. I could be wrong, but I doubt the Bible contains material encouraging its followers to refuse proper health care. It's an oath for government officials to separate their religious beliefs from their political motives, which is why I think Bush's halt on stem cell research is unconstitutional. Then again, I tend to disagree with lots of people, especially Americans, when it comes to politics and religion.

#23 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE (Tetiel @ Aug 21 2008, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People who argued it were typically more on the mentally-unfit side.

fixed =P

#24 rcadble

rcadble
  • 651 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:11 AM

QUOTE (FlashGM @ Aug 21 2008, 02:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
fixed =P

A commendable fix biggrin.gif.

Anyhow, to stay on topic, I think believing in Scientology alone is harmless, but following the Church of Scientology is following a cult.

#25 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 04:31 AM

Scientology destroyed my marriage.
Why?
I don't know, religion is easy to blame.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users