End of the world.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:28 AM

Big bang machine makes people fear a black-hole will be created, resulting in a chance the earth will be swallowed.

http://www.foxnews.c...,419404,00.html

http://www.telegraph...m....xml&page=3

Was good knowing you all.

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:32 AM

Virtually impossible to create a significant black hole with the collider. tongue.gif

#3 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (Waser Lave @ Sep 9 2008, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Virtually impossible to create a significant black hole with the collider. tongue.gif

Yeah tongue.gif Was talking to Cal about that for ages the other night. They won't do it, and probably couldn't if they wanted to. But I thought I'd post biggrin.gif

#4 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (SidaZoid @ Sep 9 2008, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah tongue.gif Was talking to Cal about that for ages the other night. They won't do it, and probably couldn't if they wanted to. But I thought I'd post biggrin.gif

Well they probably will create black holes but they won't last long enough to do anything. And the collisions which they'll be doing happen all the time in the atmosphere apparently so if it could create dangerous black holes it would probably have happened by now naturally. tongue.gif

#5 hungryhippo

hungryhippo
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:55 AM

There is like zero chance of the LHC ending the world...sorry you're stuck here tongue.gif

#6 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE (Waser Lave @ Sep 9 2008, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (SidaZoid @ Sep 9 2008, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well they probably will create black holes but they won't last long enough to do anything. And the collisions which they'll be doing happen all the time in the atmosphere apparently so if it could create dangerous black holes it would probably have happened by now naturally. tongue.gif

Well they've been trying to simulate the start of the universe for ages. Not only can they not do it, but they don't actually know what happened at the very beginning (when I say beginning, we're talking milliseconds) because they can't reach speeds high enough to recreate it.

Scientists are noobs tongue.gif

#7 hungryhippo

hungryhippo
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:07 AM

More than that, they are looking for particles that have been theorzied to exist and form a significant part of the Standard Model of Particle Phsyics called Higgs boson particles. These particles have never been observed, but are what, in theory, keep you from floating out of your chair. They explain what gives particles mass, and hence gravitational forces. Higgs boson particles are also called the "God particles" if you've ever heard of those

#8 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:41 AM

STRANGE MATTER* SHALL DESTROY US ALLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!

#9 hungryhippo

hungryhippo
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:49 AM

lol. I'm a biology major with a minor in chem so i know too much about this. Actually, if you want some actual facts instead of media people trying to explain something they don't understand to begin with, this video from CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research) is entertaining and factual. It will give you a little overview of the particle phsyics involved and the whole purpose of the project...in rap form

#10 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE (hungryhippo @ Sep 9 2008, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
More than that, they are looking for particles that have been theorzied to exist and form a significant part of the Standard Model of Particle Phsyics called Higgs boson particles. These particles have never been observed, but are what, in theory, keep you from floating out of your chair. They explain what gives particles mass, and hence gravitational forces. Higgs boson particles are also called the "God particles" if you've ever heard of those

WTF?
Higgs Boson Particles do not give particles mass blink.gif
It's only effect is on massless objects like photons?

You might be referring to "higgs field".
It "essentially" gives mass to bosons.

Edited by sonic/vegas's daddy, 09 September 2008 - 11:56 AM.

#11 hungryhippo

hungryhippo
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:55 AM

I'm trying to give a simple understanding of it. Yes, I know that in more technical terms it gives simple particles their mass, and that it goes toward giving an explanation to why massless photons can lend toward mass. But I figured I'd keep it easy because not everyone likes particle physics

#12 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (hungryhippo @ Sep 9 2008, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm trying to give a simple understanding of it. Yes, I know that in more technical terms it gives simple particles their mass, and that it goes toward giving an explanation to why massless photons can lend toward mass. But I figured I'd keep it easy because not everyone likes particle physics

Youd be surprised how many members here know a great deal about mechanics and particle physics, ect.
(misses chris crybaby.gif )

In fact I think Kitsunes hubby is some kind of physicist if I remember right.

#13 hungryhippo

hungryhippo
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:02 PM

I don't doubt it tongue.gif But just for the people who are liable to believe that the world is going to end tomorrow, i'm trying to give a simple explanation of what they are looking for

#14 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE (hungryhippo @ Sep 9 2008, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't doubt it tongue.gif But just for the people who are liable to believe that the world is going to end tomorrow, i'm trying to give a simple explanation of what they are looking for

So your saying you DONT believe that theory about zombies taking over the world in the next week or two?
Ignorance. Just plain Ignorance.

#15 hungryhippo

hungryhippo
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (sonic/vegas's daddy @ Sep 9 2008, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So your saying you DONT believe that theory about zombies taking over the world in the next week or two?

Well the Mayan calendar says the world will end in 2012...so I'm gonna say no to the zombies cuz that doesn't fit with that calendar

#16 tastyphoxette

tastyphoxette
  • Tasty Cakes!

• 2648 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:29 PM

I thought they already tried this like a bit ago. A month or two? Idk.

What. ohmy.gif

We're still here! biggrin.gif

#17 hungryhippo

hungryhippo
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:31 PM

no it hasn't been tried yet, at least not circulating a beam through the entire complex. That happens tomorrow. The first high energy collisions won't happen til October 21st though

#18 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (tastyphoxette @ Sep 9 2008, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought they already tried this like a bit ago. A month or two? Idk.

What. ohmy.gif

We're still here! biggrin.gif

This hadron collider is bigger and better then before! I can't wait until nothing new is discovered because of it.

#19 hungryhippo

hungryhippo
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:34 PM

actually it's a really exciting and historical thing that will prove, one way or the other, several concepts about anitmatter and particle physics

Edited by hungryhippo, 09 September 2008 - 12:34 PM.

#20 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (hungryhippo @ Sep 9 2008, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
actually it's a really exciting and historical thing that will prove, one way or the other, several concepts about anitmatter and particle physics

Thats what they said about ether wind... blink.gif

#21 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (hungryhippo @ Sep 9 2008, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (sonic/vegas's daddy @ Sep 9 2008, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well the Mayan calendar says the world will end in 2012...so I'm gonna say no to the zombies cuz that doesn't fit with that calendar

Lol and we all believe the Mayan calendar.

#22 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:07 PM

I say if the world ends, it ends. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Not much we can do about it and just live our lives the best we can. I've never understood people trying to always predict the end of the world. Seems silly to me. They said that the atom bomb would cause a chain reaction and blow up the whole universe too.

#23 Reaper

Reaper
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (Tetiel @ Sep 9 2008, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I say if the world ends, it ends. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Not much we can do about it and just live our lives the best we can. I've never understood people trying to always predict the end of the world. Seems silly to me. They said that the atom bomb would cause a chain reaction and blow up the whole universe too.

I 2nd that...nicely put Tetiel wink.gif

#24 hungryhippo

hungryhippo
  • 414 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:39 AM

well it's over. It's been done smile.gif No hole in the time continuum and no exploding planet

#25 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:23 PM

Everyone, get a gun! We'll take on these buggers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users