89 replies to this topic

#1 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:52 PM

We need programmers
I hope you guys have been enjoying the boards lately. We've been working really hard to release programs for you guys and hope that you are putting them to good use :p . All this development does require time and effort. We are starting to grow a little bit and are needing more helping hands each day. We have a lot of plans but at the moment, we need programmers to help us implement our ideas. If you have any experience in programming, or are looking to learn, then this post is for you! Want to program with us? Read on :D .

Background information
Neocodex currently has two junior programmer positions open for those who are interested. The junior programmer rank has previously been used to define those who were on their way to becoming full programmers. While this is still largely true, junior programmers are now going to be working much more closely with full programmers. Full programmers are expected to work on at least three programs with junior programmers in order to help junior programmers familiarize themselves with Neocodex programs and style. While anyone can learn to program, junior programmers will get private and one on one attention from full programmers so that we ensure they can learn.

The benefits
We're currently experimenting with many different styles of rewarding programmers. I can't say anything for certain yet since it still may change. However, one of the major reasons why we all work on Codex is to learn new skills and practice them. It never hurts to know how to make a computer do what you want it to do ;) . While programming at Codex, I know I have become a much better programmer. One of the main benefits that I can say for sure right now, then, is that you will probably learn more than you wanted to :p .

The tutorials
Neocodex uses Python and wxWidgets to create programs which are used hundreds of times a day. If you don't know Python, don't worry. There are plenty of tutorials online. My favorite are Professor Norman Matloff's tutorials on Python. If you are looking to program for Neocodex, you should be familiar with the quick and painless, files and directories, and threads tutorials. You don't need to read sections 4 and 7 of the threads tutorial. As always, if you have any questions about these topics, feel free to ask in the programming section.

How to obtain a position
Before obtaining a programming position on Neocodex, you should familiarize yourself with Python and basic programming paradigms. Feel free to ask questions in the programming section if you have any questions on any concepts. When you feel you are ready, send a PM to Hydrogen or Shadowlink64 asking to become a junior programmer. We'll send you some basic questions on programming that you will need to answer. If you do well in answering the questions, you will become a junior programmer and we'll talk about what kind of stuff you are interested in (client-side programming or web-programming).

Once you are a junior programmer, you will work with a full programmer on three programs. The requirements of each program is

• Basic algorithm and user interface modifications on an already existing program. For example, add in functionality to display currently played card in a card game auto player.
  • Major algorithm rehaul on an already existing program. For example, include scheme to cause opponents to falter prior to our turn in a card game auto player.
  • Write a completely new program.
Of course, you will be working with a full programmer the whole time so the task isn't as daunting as it may seem. Once you finish these three tasks, and you feel you are ready to become a full programmer, we'll ask you some more questions (they will be harder this time :p ) and if you do well, then you are welcome to join the full programmers and train your own junior programmers :p .

Send us PMs!
If you are interested, please send either Hydrogen or Shadowlink64 a PM :) .

#2 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:55 PM

Nice concept. I may have participated in this... 3 years ago. Good luck with it dude. :)

#3 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:27 AM

I'm interested :p. I'll start reading tonight when I get back from work.

#4 Resonance

Resonance
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:00 AM

Sign me up Hydrogen :)

#5 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:13 AM

Man, if I had the time and energy I'd totally sign up for this. D:

#6 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:28 AM

We should probably include PHP/MySQL for the web apps as well as Python for the client-side. :p Python wouldn't really be necessary to work on web-apps but it can be helpful to know some.

#7 Skyle

Skyle
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:53 AM

I'm willing to learn Python...altho I am wondering how to design the GUI in Python. Please anyone?

#8 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:58 AM

I'm willing to learn Python...altho I am wondering how to design the GUI in Python. Please anyone?

SL and Hydrogen use WxWidgets I believe, I couldn't tell you how it works though (I have no idea). :p

#9 Skyle

Skyle
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:01 AM

Is that actually like a GUI builder or do you have to code it etc?

#10 Rambo

Rambo
  • 833 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:16 AM

WxWidgets a GUI builder.

#11 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:14 AM

Sign me up Hydrogen :)

I like this new member. Dro SL take him :p

#12 Rambo

Rambo
  • 833 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:48 AM

<_<

#13 Skyle

Skyle
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:34 AM

This may sound very stupid but I've installed Python and downloaded wxWidgets 2.8.10 but have no clue how to install it xD

#14 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:29 AM

Laser, what is the best tutorial for php 5? I'll add a link to the original post.

I should mention that the python tutorials listed above assume you already know a bit or programming. If you don't, look up some basic tutorials on google. If you find a good one, send me the link and I'll include it in the first post. I'd like to post this on the frontpage when ips releases the ccs.

Also, we use wxDesigner to generate GUIs. I've coded GUIs by hand before and I never want to do that again if I can help it <_<. Honestly though, we're looking for some basic understanding of python and programming in general. We'll teach you the rest. If you can get through those tutorials, you should be ok.

#15 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:22 PM

Are there any particular programs we should be downloading in order to work with Python?

I can't even install Python :p....not a good start. The file has the extention .tgz....so I downloaded Gzip as that is apparently what opens it....but then I am stuck.

#16 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:50 PM

Are there any particular programs we should be downloading in order to work with Python?

I can't even install Python :p ....not a good start. The file has the extention .tgz....so I downloaded Gzip as that is apparently what opens it....but then I am stuck.

Download from here. For most archive formats, WinRAR should work just fine. Not sure what you are downloading though since the windows python installer is an msi file.

The windows python installer comes with Idle which is good enough for now. If you really want a powerful editor, I suggest VIM or Emacs. Though perhaps you should learn that some other time since they both have a bit of a learning curve. One thing at a time :p.

#17 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:55 PM

Download from here. For most archive formats, WinRAR should work just fine. Not sure what you are downloading though since the windows python installer is an msi file.

The windows python installer comes with Idle which is good enough for now. If you really want a powerful editor, I suggest VIM or Emacs. Though perhaps you should learn that some other time since they both have a bit of a learning curve. One thing at a time :p .

I managed to find guide http://diveintopytho...on/windows.html and installed this http://www.activesta...Python/....will that do?

Did it before you post the other link up :p.

#18 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:57 PM

ActiveState python should be fine. I haven't played around with it too much so I don't know what the differences are but I'm assuming that Python is Python?

#19 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:24 PM

Would it be possible to get the Junior Programmer questions before I have read through all the tutorials? The reason being I find it impossible to take in this sort of thing without using what I am learning as I go along. For example http://heather.cs.uc...PythonIntro.pdf teaches you the basics but I need exercises to do as I learn something new in order to fully understand it. Something as simple as asking me to change the code to bring about a different set of results would suffice but I have to figure it out for myself...does that make any sense? :lookaround:

#20 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:26 PM

Would it be possible to get the Junior Programmer questions before I have read through all the tutorials? The reason being I find it impossible to take in this sort of thing without using what I am learning as I go along. For example http://heather.cs.uc...PythonIntro.pdf teaches you the basics but I need exercises to do as I learn something new in order to fully understand it. Something as simple as asking me to change the code to bring about a different set of results would suffice but I have to figure it out for myself...does that make any sense? :lookaround:

It does. While I can't give you the questions now since they will be different for everyone, I can post up some practice problems that you can take on while programming. I'll get those up tonight :).

#21 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:31 PM

It does. While I can't give you the questions now since they will be different for everyone, I can post up some practice problems that you can take on while programming. I'll get those up tonight :) .

That would be great, thanks Hydro.

#22 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:52 PM

Everybody interested: Make sure you get Python 2.5.

If it's not 2.5, you won't be able to use the Python Required Files, and subsequently you won't be able to program anything for us. :/

(Oaken you will need this if you're getting ActivePython: http://downloads.act...4-win32-x86.msi )

#23 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:55 PM

Ha :p

Downloading it now.

#24 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:56 PM

Ewwwwwwwwwwwww. Python.

#25 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:00 PM

Ha :p

Downloading it now.

Do you have VNC or something? I'm willing to teach as well but I hate teaching over MSN or IRC as all I can do is type and not actually show. :p

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users