Photo

No Experiance

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 neoshaded

neoshaded
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:04 AM

Hey, I'm pretty new to this entire forum, but I guess I was going to ask this question eventually so why not now?

I'm still pretty young (Still in high school actually (UK)) but I made up my mind the first time I sat infront of a computer that I wanted to program. I'm thinking this has to be the best time I can start learning as I'm surrounded by teachers at school willing to help and what-not...

I've looked into it and there's a lot of people AGAINST java and most people say that C/C++ is great to learn, but it isn't all that beginner friendly... I've kind of made my mind up that I want to focus on C but I'm open to others oppinions... The problem is; I don't know where to start!
I'm currently reading guides over the internet but I'd like an actual person just to say 'this is a good area to begin in' or 'I started doing ... first' etc.

Any ideas, help etc would be GREATLY appreciated!

P.S; I do pick up anything to do with technology quite faster than most people, but I know it DEFINATELY won’t be something I can learn over night...

#2 Jiraiya

Jiraiya
  • 521 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:42 AM

yeah...Im thinking of learning the basics on programming during the summer or maybe now??because I know Ill eventually use it in university and Im interested too..

#3 Jake2

Jake2
  • 1185 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:45 AM

Use the search tool. There's a thread about this already.

#4 neoshaded

neoshaded
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:51 AM

Oh, I'm sorry, I actually did search it but nothing came up other than things about neopets :sorry:

#5 Atonomous

Atonomous
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:18 PM

Wrote a reasonable post about it today... It might help you a bit.
http://www.neocodex....th-programming/

#6 neoshaded

neoshaded
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:34 AM

Hmmm, nice guide, it seems a little biased towards java but I guess that's just from your experiance. I taught myself a little C++ last night, the very basics like how it actually works, using functions etc, I'll give java a go tonight, see if I find it any easier.

Thank you :)

#7 Rambo

Rambo
  • 833 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:59 AM

Nothing wrong with Java at all. This website uses Python to make their programs, so if you are looking to release stuff here then learn that.

However, I am sure Daniel (and others) will tell you that C# or C++ would be a better language to learn. However, if you're looking to attend university and do a computer science degree most universities do Java (from what I saw) the only exception was Dundee(?) who were doing C++ with some Java :)

#8 Atonomous

Atonomous
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:31 AM

Hmmm, nice guide, it seems a little biased towards java but I guess that's just from your experiance. I taught myself a little C++ last night, the very basics like how it actually works, using functions etc, I'll give java a go tonight, see if I find it any easier.

Thank you :)

Well, I tried to not make it sound bias, but ultimately... what I wanted to emphasize before writing it was that you just use different programming languages for different jobs. You don't take a regular fishing pole with you to catch a whale nor do you take a harpoon with you to catch a fish.

#9 neoshaded

neoshaded
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:52 AM

Nothing wrong with Java at all. This website uses Python to make their programs, so if you are looking to release stuff here then learn that.

However, I am sure Daniel (and others) will tell you that C# or C++ would be a better language to learn. However, if you're looking to attend university and do a computer science degree most universities do Java (from what I saw) the only exception was Dundee(?) who were doing C++ with some Java :)

Thanks a lot, I'm going to stick with C++ for the moment and also learn Python, I attempted java this morning and found it incredibly hard to work out how it's used and what-not.
Maybe one day I'll focus on java but for the moment, I'll stick with my choices so far :thumbsup:

22:55
EDIT: Python is so easy to pick up! I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't programed before and just wants to mess around to see what they can do.

Edited by neoshaded, 06 April 2010 - 01:30 PM.

#10 DudeOnline

DudeOnline
  • 1897 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:20 AM

A little off topic...but anyone remember Neocodex Academy for Coding? :p

#11 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:17 PM

I started out with VB6. Pretty much all of Neocodex's programs were written in it back then. It was good for neopets programs too; you could spit out money tree grabbers in like 10 minutes. And it is really easy to learn. It'll teach you all the basic concepts of other languages and make it easier to learn new ones afterwards.

#12 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:26 PM

I started out with VB6. Pretty much all of Neocodex's programs were written in it back then. It was good for neopets programs too; you could spit out money tree grabbers in like 10 minutes. And it is really easy to learn. It'll teach you all the basic concepts of other languages and make it easier to learn new ones afterwards.

#13 Rambo

Rambo
  • 833 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:13 AM

Thanks a lot, I'm going to stick with C++ for the moment and also learn Python, I attempted java this morning and found it incredibly hard to work out how it's used and what-not.
Maybe one day I'll focus on java but for the moment, I'll stick with my choices so far :thumbsup:

22:55
EDIT: Python is so easy to pick up! I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't programed before and just wants to mess around to see what they can do.

Java actually isn't that hard :) I find it quite a simple language to program with and prefer it over Python :)

#14 Andy

Andy
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:47 PM

Choose your language depending on what you want to do:
If you like making websites, checkout HTML, Javascript, PHP and MySQL
Game and Program Development? C++
Systems Development? C or ASM
Web/Mobile Phone Applications? Java
Neocodex Programs? Python

Just don't touch Visual Basic.

#15 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:41 PM

Choose your language depending on what you want to do:
If you like making websites, checkout HTML, Javascript, PHP and MySQL
Game and Program Development? C++
Systems Development? C or ASM
Web/Mobile Phone Applications? Java
Neocodex Programs? Python

Just don't touch Visual Basic.

You're talking about vb6 right?

#16 Rambo

Rambo
  • 833 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:15 AM

You're talking about vb6 right?

You mentioned VB6 ;P

#17 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:02 PM

You mentioned VB6 ;P

I was wondering whether he's referring to VB6 or VB .NET.

#18 Rambo

Rambo
  • 833 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:16 AM

I was wondering whether he's referring to VB6 or VB .NET.

Oops, I thought I had read VB6 in his post, my apologies ;P

#19 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:32 PM

Oops, I thought I had read VB6 in his post, my apologies ;P

I forgive you Rambo. But just this once.

#20 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:02 PM

There really is no superior programming language. Way too many factors including personal style, desktop environment, purpose of the program, and scope of the program are all important in determining which language to use. In fact, that is why it's important to learn all of them! However, obviously one has to start somewhere, and personally I started with Visual Basic (VB6 back in the olden days). Obviously I would not suggest looking for VB6, but rather VB.NET. Some argue it teaches you bad habits, but I tend to differ. It's easy to pickup, comes with a nice IDE that's easy to pickup from, and you can learn most major programming concepts (including some limited OOP) pretty quickly.

However, there's certainly nothing wrong with starting with languages like C++ or Java. In the end though, just remember not to be one of those weird people that stick to only one. I know a lot of people that only know C++ because they believe it can do everything, which is simply absurd. The more languages you know, the more power and flexibility you have with future programs.

Why Neocodex has picked up on Python as it's choosen platform, I'm not sure :p I personally love Python, very awesome language, but I'm pretty sure Java and C++ are much more well suited for Neopets macro programs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users