Recommended Books?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 generalgsus

generalgsus
  • 422 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:57 PM

What are some good reads you guys recommend? Be sure to discuss, and rate the books others offer, or talk about the one you most recently finished.

I just finished A Separate Peace by John Knowles. Really not too bad of a book - I liked the themes (won't give it away :p) and definitely worth your time to read. I thought it was going to be a pain, but it turned out to be quite a good read.

Same with Tortilla Curtain by T.C. Boyle.

#2 kiddX

kiddX
  • 606 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:11 PM

Well for you:
Posted Image

jk.

I've been trying to get through War & Peace. It's interesting but a bitch to read.

#3 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:27 PM

I wish this was in the Chit-Chat section so you didnt get post counts.
Only because it seems that you're just making new threads for post counts.

I found it interesting to re-read Harry Potter o___o

Edited by Junsu, 05 May 2010 - 05:28 PM.

#4 generalgsus

generalgsus
  • 422 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:37 PM

I found it interesting to re-read Harry Potter o___o

Jeez. I'm not sure how much more on-topic you could get by posting stuff about your favorite form of entertainment in General Entertainment... :o

BACK on topic: I must have read the Harry Potter series at least 7 times or so over. Love to read while I'm eating, and the stories still don't old - in fact, they get better and I get more out of them everytime I re-read the series. I gotta say though, the Half-Blood Prince had to be the best one, mostly because of the mysteriousness of Harry's newfound Potions book which we soon see... was really annotated and previously owned by _____!

#5 chobitz

chobitz
  • 988 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

The Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison
The Southern Vampires Mysteries (aka True Blood) by Charlaine Harris
The Dark Hunters series(now also a manga!) by Sherrilyn Kenyon
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
The Dark Tower series by Stephen King
The Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs
The Nightside series by Simon R Green
The Morganville Vampire by Rachael Caine

#6 Sinwin

Sinwin
  • 523 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:07 PM

Poisonwood Bible and Twilight

#7 generalgsus

generalgsus
  • 422 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:45 PM

I've been trying to get through War & Peace. It's interesting but a bitch to read.

I'm guessing this is like Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, like tough older-age English literature, but the story is good?

Also, please, if you have the time, explain why you recommend the book? Trying to improve my reading skills for the SAT you see, and also looking for good reads in general, so a review would be nice as well. Thanks! :p

#8 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:53 PM

Seriously, dude.
Most of your posts are just you adding apostrophes to other people's posts, or being a shit about who you think is spamming. Who the fuck are you to judge who is a post whore or not? Honestly, I didn't mind it the first 100 times, but it's fucking old now. Get over yourself.

ANYWAY...
My all time favorite book is "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

#9 Sinwin

Sinwin
  • 523 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:56 PM

Moby Dick
Catch-22
Jane Eyre
Scarlet Letter
Pride and Prejudice
Hamlet
Oedipus
Great Gapsby
Catcher in the Rye
Crime and Punishment
Adventure of Huckleberry Finn

Reason: English Classics

#10 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:01 PM

I'm guessing this is like Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, like tough older-age English literature, but the story is good?

Also, please, if you have the time, explain why you recommend the book? Trying to improve my reading skills for the SAT you see, and also looking for good reads in general, so a review would be nice as well. Thanks! :p

TKAM seems like a good book to read for the SAT :)

Seriously, dude.
Most of your posts are just you adding apostrophes to other people's posts, or being a shit about who you think is spamming. Who the fuck are you to judge who is a post whore or not? Honestly, I didn't mind it the first 100 times, but it's fucking old now. Get over yourself.

Ive only done it like 99 times Posted Image
And I dont use apostrophes. Go flame the other guy.
I doubt anyone cares anyhow Posted Image

#11 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Best set of books you will ever read (if you're a fantasy nut).

#12 generalgsus

generalgsus
  • 422 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:10 PM

TKAM seems like a good book to read for the SAT :)

Ive only done it like 99 times Posted Image
And I dont use apostrophes. Go flame the other guy.
I doubt anyone cares anyhow Posted Image

TKAM = To Kill a Mockingbird? Took me a while to think of that, was about to ask and then realized I probably shouldn't. :p
I've read that as well, not a good book IMO.

Alright, Junsu, let's try to keep it civil here please. I do my best to respect you, so I feel you should return some of it. My posts are kept on-topic, and I'd appreciate if you stopped to not flame me for just a second. Please, and thank you. :)

#13 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:12 PM

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

Did you watch/enjoy the tv series?

#14 chobitz

chobitz
  • 988 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:21 PM

Did you watch/enjoy the tv series?

I wasn't crazy for it. They didn't get the feel of the books right.

#15 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:52 PM

TKAM = To Kill a Mockingbird? Took me a while to think of that, was about to ask and then realized I probably shouldn't. :p
I've read that as well, not a good book IMO.

Alright, Junsu, let's try to keep it civil here please. I do my best to respect you, so I feel you should return some of it. My posts are kept on-topic, and I'd appreciate if you stopped to not flame me for just a second. Please, and thank you. :)

/flame flame flame flame flame flame/ Posted Image

Yeah its TKAM.
I'd say that practice tests are better than books.
Books tell you whats right, but practice tests tell you what's wrong.

#16 ilovepolkadots

ilovepolkadots
  • 724 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:05 PM

Moby Dick
Catch-22
Jane Eyre
Scarlet Letter
Pride and Prejudice
Hamlet
Oedipus
Great Gapsby
Catcher in the Rye
Crime and Punishment
Adventure of Huckleberry Finn

Reason: English Classics

Catch-22
Pride and Prejudice
(^)awesome books

& Catcher in the Rye is one of my all time favorite books. i read it every summer.

some other really good ones are:
The Great Gatsby
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
A Prayer for Owen Meany
Cold Mountain

#17 generalgsus

generalgsus
  • 422 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:16 PM

/flame flame flame flame flame flame/ Posted Image

Yeah its TKAM.
I'd say that practice tests are better than books.
Books tell you whats right, but practice tests tell you what's wrong.

I'm just looking for that last 200 points for my perfect. Probably unlikely, but hey, shoot high and you land on the stars or however that old saying goes. :p

Also, for Catcher in the Rye, why do some people say that it isn't as good if you read it when you are older? Anyone know why this is, or whether it's true?

Interesting lists... I'll have to check some of them out some day. Make sure you rate which ones are your favs!

#18 Sinwin

Sinwin
  • 523 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

As you get older, you probably get more conservative. Catcher in the Rye contains a lot of slang. Example: Go to hell.

#19 Xwee

Xwee
  • 994 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:44 AM

Seriously, dude.

ANYWAY...

Plussed for telling him and for liking Terry pratchett.

Personally I :wub: Terry Pratchett :wub: and all his Discworld books. Good Omens was the first non-discworld of his that I liked.
On a similar note if anyone is willing to sell one of his books Discworld or Good Omen's then I'll pay NP/ USD for it :x3:

#20 thorgal

thorgal
  • 421 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:54 AM

Try , Brave New World of Aldous Huxley.
It gave me the creep but after reading I really changed my way of thinking about community.

#21 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:18 PM

Will you marry me?

#22 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:22 PM

Posted Image

#23 generalgsus

generalgsus
  • 422 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:49 PM

As you get older, you probably get more conservative. Catcher in the Rye contains a lot of slang. Example: Go to hell.

I can't see this truly making older people dislike Catcher in the Rye? Hmm... well I picked up a copy from my local library. I'll see how I like this one. Good book recommendations guys! I'll be sure to look back when finished with this one. :)

#24 SimDairy

SimDairy
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:13 AM

I've always been into fiction so...

The Life of Pi by Yann Martel
- Wonderful use of imagery and metaphors. The big "reveal" in the end is what did me in and my prediction of the true outcome was off by a few metaphors. Still... some of the imagery used in the book still bothers me until now. If only I could talk to the author.

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
- Although I don't recommend to practice with it for your SAT's. It's just everything about it comes in smooth: from the plot to the fluid language.

#25 generalgsus

generalgsus
  • 422 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:24 PM

I've always been into fiction so...

The Life of Pi by Yann Martel
- Wonderful use of imagery and metaphors. The big "reveal" in the end is what did me in and my prediction of the true outcome was off by a few metaphors. Still... some of the imagery used in the book still bothers me until now. If only I could talk to the author.

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
- Although I don't recommend to practice with it for your SAT's. It's just everything about it comes in smooth: from the plot to the fluid language.

Thanks for sharing!

Also, for the books for the SAT improvement, that is not mandatory or anything, just to clear things up. Just mentioning that I feel like reading books in general would help boost my SAT score. Anyone still enjoy youth fiction books? I still love those youth fiction books. :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users