Photo

The West should fear the Rise of China.

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#26 Sinwin

Sinwin
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:17 AM

I wonder if Chinese forums discuss the United States like this.

"They are a global superpower that still has worldwide influence!"

"Yeah but you forget that their country is infested with rednecks!"

I think their discussion would be like United States should be our servant since they owe us so much money.

#27 Morrigan

Morrigan
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:01 AM

No.

China only holds 23 percent of our debt. The public actually holds the most amount of our debt. While they do have the largest of any other country (Japan is close), they dont have the largest amount.

Yes, I should have qualified that with the fact that China holds the most debt for a foreign country. There was a moment a few months ago where people thought Japan actually overtook China as the top debt holder. From what I read, the economists who theorized the ramifications about China selling the debt mentioned that the devaluation of the dollar would harm us especially due to the public debt, which is almost 85% of the GDP ( largely in the form of Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and interest). They did, however, note that it's highly unlikely China would actually do such a thing as the stress on our public sector would negatively impact the China.

#28 DragonX

DragonX
  • 455 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:03 PM

I think their discussion would be like United States should be our servant since they owe us so much money.

The smarter thing would be to exploit the advantage ;).
I don't think China is ready to impose such a drastic change yet.

#29 Sinwin

Sinwin
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:07 PM

The smarter thing would be to exploit the advantage ;).
I don't think China is ready to impose such a drastic change yet.

Ya they will be like "keep spending and borrowing we will own you forever"

#30 Andy

Andy
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:18 PM

What about China's Military expansion? China has the largest army in the world, and also spends the second highest amount of money on their armed forces. They are currently developing 5th generation fighter aircraft to rival modern Russian, European and US jet fighter aircraft. They are also developing a blue-water (sea going) navy and are currently aggressively developing ICBM. They have also recently demonstrated the ability to shoot down a satellite.

#31 DragonX

DragonX
  • 455 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:18 PM

Ya they will be like "keep spending and borrowing we will own you forever"

You're pro China for super-power :p?

#32 Sinwin

Sinwin
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:22 PM

You're pro China for super-power :p?

Well Im Chinese. US used to be the superpower now China is taking over. Just a fact.

#33 DragonX

DragonX
  • 455 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:48 PM

Well Im Chinese. US used to be the superpower now China is taking over. Just a fact.

I am too xD.
To be a good super power though, I think China needs to deal with the internal corruption first =/.
And, China hasn't taken over yet.

#34 Sinwin

Sinwin
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:59 PM

I am too xD.
To be a good super power though, I think China needs to deal with the internal corruption first =/.

At this rate, it's just a matter of time

Edited by Kang, 08 May 2010 - 05:05 PM.

#35 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:02 PM

Don't fuck with the Chinese. They can do this much with a shovel. Imagine what else they can do.

#36 Sinwin

Sinwin
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:09 PM

I didnt know a shovel can do that much :o

#37 generalgsus

generalgsus
  • 422 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:32 PM

I am too xD.

Keyword: yet. :p Once they get their stuff straightened out, they're be even more immensely able and powerful.

Don't fuck with the Chinese. They can do this much with a shovel. Imagine what else they can do.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=VzpRh-ZE9Mo

O_o

#38 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:38 PM

I didnt know a shovel can do that much :o

Yup. With the largest population in the world armed with advanced authentic Chinese shovels, nuclear warheads are no longer part of the picture.

#39 generalgsus

generalgsus
  • 422 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:33 PM

At that rate, China's going to dominate any day now... Posted Image

Edited by generalgsus, 08 May 2010 - 07:34 PM.

#40 Shadowfool

Shadowfool
  • 419 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:12 PM

I don't believe we should fear it. China has too big of a gap between their poor and middle class that even with their current success in rise in GDP and such.
http://www.theepocht...ent/view/28883/
It's only a matter of time till the poor get fed up with their corrupt government and rebel.

#41 DragonX

DragonX
  • 455 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:18 AM

I don't believe we should fear it. China has too big of a gap between their poor and middle class that even with their current success in rise in GDP and such.
http://www.theepocht...ent/view/28883/
It's only a matter of time till the poor get fed up with their corrupt government and rebel.

The strongest nation does not necessarily have to be measured by our current mediums.

In addition, rebellion is not 100% just because there is a large gap between the rich and poor. Take Rome for example. During the days of the Empire, there were no major slave rebellions, despite their large numbers and harsher lifestyles.

#42 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:54 AM

Being from China and having many relatives from the not-so-well-off parts of China, I don't think the majority of the poor actually give a shit about who the middle class or upper class is or what they are doing. Yeah, there are a few individuals who point out the corruptness and unfairness, but for the most part they just mind their own business and go on about their daily life. Most of this probably stems from fear, yes, and it's no surprise given how the government in China is.

They don't really care for citizens so much as they do for making money and their own image. Every so often we see so many state-run mines collapse and hundreds of workers either dead or trapped for over a week - if the government had taken proper safety precautions then these accidents may have been prevented. Look also at the very well known example of lead in Chinese paint, and it's deleterious effects on the Chinese workers. Look also at how Chinese artificially enhance or even create food - I'm talking about creating artificial eggs (eggs are dirt cheap as is, how they pull a profit should show how bad the conditions are), soy sauce from hair, and the recent melamine incident with formula - these all result from poor regulations or perhaps enforcement. Had the melamine incident not gotten so much media coverage, one has to wonder if the Chinese government would've taken action.

#43 Volition

Volition
  • 701 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:47 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=VzpRh-ZE9Mo

omg, next time i need gardening done im calling my uncle over

#44 RKO

RKO
  • 590 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:10 PM

I wonder if Chinese forums discuss the United States like this.

"They are a global superpower that still has worldwide influence!"

"Yeah but you forget that their country is infested with rednecks!"

OMG, that would be mad funny.

"Those Bloody rednecks have no idea what they are doing, why the F do we look at them as a superpower?"

Edited by RKO, 10 May 2010 - 03:11 PM.

#45 Wangalang

Wangalang
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:29 PM

While the economic portion of China is dominant, don't forget to focus on China's social change, including changes in pop culture and the emerging of a new generation of chinese youth. In addition, the (little) political change is also present.

#46 generalgsus

generalgsus
  • 422 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:04 PM

While the economic portion of China is dominant, don't forget to focus on China's social change, including changes in pop culture and the emerging of a new generation of chinese youth. In addition, the (little) political change is also present.

Also known as Westernization?

Recall that the Japanese after undergoing the Meiji Restoration and being defeated, also embarked upon a path of Westernization, and look where they are now! Their technology is beating ours by at least a year, considering that all the new top notch tech gadgets are released there far before they are in the US.

#47 BuckFutter

BuckFutter
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:01 PM

I will be very scared the day China goes full throttle with Westernization.

#48 DragonX

DragonX
  • 455 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:07 PM

I will be very scared the day China goes full throttle with Westernization.

Why, so :o?

#49 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:09 PM

Too many kids in here that can't copy and paste properly from Google.

#50 DragonX

DragonX
  • 455 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:13 PM

Too many kids in here that can't copy and paste properly from Google.

LOL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users