Photo

What instrument do you play?

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#26 BERRIES

BERRIES
  • 232 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:37 AM

Always wanted to learn how to play an instrument, but always can't seem to find the time. *Sighs*

#27 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:41 AM

I play piano, violin, guitar, clarinet, alto sax, and trumpet.

#28 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:43 AM

Don't play anything proficiently unfortunately.

Violin
Saxophone
Guitar
Keyboard

are all things I play occasionally and have fun with. I've gotten into music production recently though, so my instrumental skills have suffered =/

#29 Acheron

Acheron
  • 586 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:45 AM

I play the piano and a bit of Violin.

#30 travis

travis
  • 5408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:21 AM

What instrument do you play? I play cello. I come from a really musical family so I've been surrounded by music ever since I was a baby. :)
Anyone play in a band or orchestra or string quartet? :)

I've always admired people who sing or play guitar though :o

Funny. My ex named Abigial plays Cello.

I can play bass guitar, drums, alto sax and clarinet...but I haven't in quire some time.

#31 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:14 AM

I play keyboard and bass. I'm not in a real band, but me and some friends like to jam around sometimes. Even if you don't aspire to be a pro musician, it's a good skill to learn.

#32 Adina

Adina
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:33 AM

I used to play the flute and the trumpet but that was just in elementary. Now I don't play anything, but I really want to learn to play guitar. I somewhat like my voice, and unlike most people I do want to perform in front of others.

#33 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:44 AM

used to play violin, piano . wish i still played i coulda made some sweet cash on the street

#34 Lychee

Lychee
  • 633 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:52 PM

I used to play clarinet, but I haven't touched it in years. I hated the taste and texture of the reeds.

#35 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:54 PM

Oh Cellist here too! It's been ages since I picked it up though. Cellos have to be the most beautiful instrument in the history of man. Pianos are a very close second.

#36 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:57 PM

I used to play the Clarinet, but I haven't picked one up in about 3 years.

#37 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:57 PM

Don't play anything proficiently unfortunately.

Violin
Saxophone
Guitar
Keyboard

are all things I play occasionally and have fun with. I've gotten into music production recently though, so my instrumental skills have suffered =/

that's still quite the list, why not just polish up on one of those?

#38 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:58 PM

I only just saw Lychee's comment there now.
The reeds freaked me out, but I really hated the waxed I used to have to put on when assembling it. Eugh.

#39 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:01 PM

The reeds freaked me out, but I really hated the waxed I used to have to put on when assembling it. Eugh.

Well you could use a 3 reed but the plastic ones, they don't have the gross taste and texture and it's easy to wash.

#40 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:03 PM

Well you could use a 3 reed but the plastic ones, they don't have the gross taste and texture and it's easy to wash.

I don't play anymore and wasn't aware of them when I did play. I just didn't really like that the wooden reeds would get soggy if they have been used quite a bit.

#41 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:04 PM

I don't play anymore and wasn't aware of them when I did play. I just didn't really like that the wooden reeds would get soggy if they have been used quite a bit.

Well normal players don't usually use past the strength of 2.5, I stopped playing a long time ago but I had my own reeds that weren't so bad and soggy.
I have a pack of plastic ones now, somewhere in a drawer, been there for years.

#42 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:09 PM

Well normal players don't usually use past the strength of 2.5, I stopped playing a long time ago but I had my own reeds that weren't so bad and soggy.
I have a pack of plastic ones now, somewhere in a drawer, been there for years.

I just let my music teacher give me new reeds, I was too young to know what to look for in the shop and my parents hadn't a clue. I wish I kept it up though, it has a really nice sound.

#43 Lychee

Lychee
  • 633 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:19 PM

Oh god, I'd forgotten all about the wax. That was pretty ick too, but not as bad as the reeds for me. I did have some mint flavoured ones for a while which tasted quite nice, but when I changed reed sizes I couldn't get them any more. Sad times.

#44 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:22 PM

Oh god, I'd forgotten all about the wax. That was pretty ick too, but not as bad as the reeds for me. I did have some mint flavoured ones for a while which tasted quite nice, but when I changed reed sizes I couldn't get them any more. Sad times.

Yeah, there wasn't really much that was pleasant about the clarinet other than the sound (except when you messed up and it made those high pitched squeeks).
I broke the barrel to the first one that I got and had to buy a new one, but it was just a tiny bit too small so putting it together was so hard. I struggled getting the barrel on/off even with that wax, eugh.

#45 Lychee

Lychee
  • 633 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:37 PM

Yeah, there wasn't really much that was pleasant about the clarinet other than the sound (except when you messed up and it made those high pitched squeeks).
I broke the barrel to the first one that I got and had to buy a new one, but it was just a tiny bit too small so putting it together was so hard. I struggled getting the barrel on/off even with that wax, eugh.

Clarinets look pretty. That's why I chose to to learn that. In my defence, I was in primary school, and the question was "What instrument do you want to learn" rather than "Do you want to learn to play an instrument".

How did you break it? I thought they were pretty sturdy. One of my friends broke her flute by throwing it against a wall, hoping that if it broke she wouldn't have to play it ever again. She had to keep playing it, only after that it kept making awful noises. New ones, I mean.

#46 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:25 PM

Clarinets look pretty. That's why I chose to to learn that. In my defence, I was in primary school, and the question was "What instrument do you want to learn" rather than "Do you want to learn to play an instrument".

How did you break it? I thought they were pretty sturdy. One of my friends broke her flute by throwing it against a wall, hoping that if it broke she wouldn't have to play it ever again. She had to keep playing it, only after that it kept making awful noises. New ones, I mean.

They are very pretty, they look very fancy. I picked the Clarinet in my first year of High School, my parents were tortured with it. I originally wanted to play the violin, I can't remember what swayed me.

I just dropped it and it broke, I was so surprised that all it took to break was a drop. They aren't expensive to replace, but the new one just didn't fit properly.

#47 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:05 PM

I've got a place in a couple of pretty reputable professional orchestras since my original post. ^_^ Now just have to choose which one to accept. :D

#48 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:16 PM

piano, sax

#49 Pirates

Pirates
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:18 PM

What instrument do you play? I play cello. I come from a really musical family so I've been surrounded by music ever since I was a baby. :)
Anyone play in a band or orchestra or string quartet? :)

I've always admired people who sing or play guitar though :o

Woot go Cellos :D
I play the cello too, but I suck :3

#50 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:20 PM

I've got a place in a couple of pretty reputable professional orchestras since my original post. ^_^ Now just have to choose which one to accept. :D

Congratulations. :p

I don't actually play any instruments. I've wanted to learn how to play something for a while now, but money and time doesn't permit it. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users