Photo

What instrument do you play?

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#51 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:15 AM

I just let my music teacher give me new reeds, I was too young to know what to look for in the shop and my parents hadn't a clue. I wish I kept it up though, it has a really nice sound.

Should change to alto sax, its pretty similar and has a way better reputation (sounds better in my opinion).

#52 SatansCamaro

SatansCamaro
  • 553 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:41 PM

I play the French Horn. Go World Champion Avon!!!!! Black and Gold!!!:cool:

#53 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:06 PM

We should put some videos of us make covers (or attempting ) which would be funner

#54 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:55 PM

Skin flute.

Hardy har har

#55 Turtleboy

Turtleboy
  • 424 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:22 PM

I took flute lessons for a couple of years when I was younger.

I don't think I was very good though. I want to learn the piano but not motivated enough to do so.

#56 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:21 AM

Hardy har har

gotta be mighty motivated for that skin flute -_-

#57 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:16 AM

I took flute lessons for a couple of years when I was younger.

I don't think I was very good though. I want to learn the piano but not motivated enough to do so.

Maybe you should try to be motivated to play guitar for the ladies or something?

#58 Kido

Kido
  • 1046 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:02 PM

I play the piano....it's not very exciting -_- I also play the bass guitar....also not very exciting.....

I played the flute in like 3rd grade for school. I hated it. Could barely get a sound out o.0

Edited by Kuro, 24 December 2010 - 04:03 PM.

#59 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:28 PM

I play the piano....it's not very exciting -_- I also play the bass guitar....also not very exciting.....

I played the flute in like 3rd grade for school. I hated it. Could barely get a sound out o.0

Put your mouth on the tip and blow (: and as for the flute idk

#60 Kido

Kido
  • 1046 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:03 PM

I think you're thinking of the recorder lol. All the instruments require you to shape your mouth in some way or make your lips do this so that this happens (so complicated.) -_- That's why you stick with things like guitar, piano, violin and drums :p

#61 sircomflix

sircomflix
  • 461 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:15 PM

Can do a little guitar, but mostly piano and alto sax. A lot of people find piano boring I find since they were forced to learn it at a young age. I never had that opportunity and it's my favorite instrument =D

#62 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:31 PM

Can do a little guitar, but mostly piano and alto sax. A lot of people find piano boring I find since they were forced to learn it at a young age. I never had that opportunity and it's my favorite instrument =D

I love listening to the piano (: very calming, and very original

#63 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:52 PM

I've played the piano before.. hated practicing.. i'm always envious of people with perfect pitch and can play by ear

#64 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 12:07 PM

I've played the piano before.. hated practicing.. i'm always envious of people with perfect pitch and can play by ear

yea here I was paying for lessons, and some kid who never played before can play better then me -_-

#65 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 03:47 PM

yea here I was paying for lessons, and some kid who never played before can play better then me -_-

Money well spent.

#66 sircomflix

sircomflix
  • 461 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 04:16 PM

I love listening to the violin and viola. String quartets are just heavenly, except I don't have the time or money to invest in a decent violin and lessons =( Guitar and piano are pretty easy to learn on your own or through the help of the internet but violin is definitely not something you can do on your own.

#67 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 04:19 PM

I love listening to the violin and viola. String quartets are just heavenly, except I don't have the time or money to invest in a decent violin and lessons =( Guitar and piano are pretty easy to learn on your own or through the help of the internet but violin is definitely not something you can do on your own.

Guitar is defs something you can learn by internet though, but yea you're right. The technique to playing a violin is different than most instruments, just because they don't have markings for you to figure out where the notes are and you need to figure out how to tune the strings yourself as well..

#68 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:30 PM

Money well spent.

Indeed. So much in fact that I moved onto another failed attempt at a instrument

#69 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:08 PM

choir/singing ftw

#70 darkmagegurl

darkmagegurl
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:52 PM

Piano and viola.
Hoping to take up another instrument soon..no idea what to take though.

#71 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 05:17 PM

You have to make music more interesting for yourself. I used to take piano lessons in a private lesson then go home and practice by myself and I wanted to quit. Then I kept taking lessons, but started jamming with other people and it gave me motivation to play and music became more fun. I also play bass and again, it's only what you make it to be.

@darkmage

Maybe a wind instrument?

Edited by DenyingSystems, 26 December 2010 - 05:19 PM.

#72 alexuyang2

alexuyang2
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:00 PM

I used to play both the cello and piano......i hated practicing though, even though I was pretty good at both of them

#73 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:31 PM

Indeed. So much in fact that I moved onto another failed attempt at a instrument

What's the next one?

#74 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:29 AM

Guitar is defs something you can learn by internet though, but yea you're right. The technique to playing a violin is different than most instruments, just because they don't have markings for you to figure out where the notes are and you need to figure out how to tune the strings yourself as well..

Violin is more because you set yourself up to learn some incredibly dangerous habits without a teacher.

Anyone with a half decent ear could work out how to pick out basic tunes fairly quickly. It would be slow progress for most but it's certainly not an impossible task. The problem lies in that posture is not an intuitive thing unless you have strings experience. You need to be shown how to hold the instrument correctly, you need to be shown to hold the bow correctly, you need to be shown how to move the bow correctly. You only need to do it wrong a couple of times for it to be wrong forever. I've taught kids where I've had to tear apart their entire technique and start from scratch because they've had awful teachers at first, or adult learners who think they'll have just a quick play a few times to see what it's like before they start lessons.

It's true of any instrument to a certain extent, I'm a decent pianist but I still have some nasty habits I picked up while teaching myself when I was younger. On strings, those habits are a lot more likely to hold you back, you arrive at a point far more rapidly where you can't make much progress until you learn the correct way of doing things.

#75 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:26 AM

Although you can learn guitar yourself, as Ali said, there are plenty of bad habits you can get. One of them that I feel into was when I started playing bass, I played from tabs only, and when I got a new teacher, he stopped having me play primarily from tabs and now I am having to learn all of the notes and pretty much start from scratch. Also, I was using a hand position for my fretting hand that made it so I was getting lots of buzz. So yes, you can learn it yourself, but if you actually want to learn and be fairly good it helps to have some lessons to correct your mistakes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users