Photo

Hunting...

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 EzioAuditore

EzioAuditore
  • 246 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:15 PM

I didn't see another topic made about this specifically, so I thought I would. How do you all feel about hunting? I mean all kinds of hunting, from hunting for survival to seal clubbing. Using birds of prey to catch small deer and other animals for you. Hunting just for sport! Anything is game here (no pun intended)! I personally don't do a whole lot of hunting, except hunting of dove.

I hunt the birds and eat what I kill. I think that this kind of hunting is the most humane kind of hunting, and I don't see why anyone would frown upon this, because, after all, how do you think your ancestors were able to get meat from animals? Hunting helps keep down certain populations of animals, like deer for instance. Without hunters, deer would grow at an exponential rate, as they really have no natural predators in the ares they live in. Most of the places where deer live are farm grounds.

If you think hunting is wrong then think about how chicken, cattle, pigs, etc are raised in farms and ask yourself this; Is that really more humane than hunting?

Just want to stir up some people because I know there are a lot of animal advocates out there, but a lot of them still eat farm animals but are against hunting.

What does everyone else think about this?

#2 Abrar

Abrar
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:35 PM

I'd have to say OK to humane killing of animals. The way that animals are killed when entering a slaughterhouse is extremely cruel though. As well the animal skinning methods in China. But painless deaths aren't all that bad.

I'll follow up more to this in another post. xD

Too lazy to write that much for now...

#3 Salamanda

Salamanda
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

Honestly, I wish we didn't have as many farms as we do and that more people would resort to hunting wild animals such as boar, deer, birds, and even animals like crocs. These animals have actually lived freely and have had better lives than those in most farms. But I also understand that we consume way more meat than would ever be found in the wild. So I guess I just wish people weren't so opposed to hunting (humane hunting, quick kills, not beating and shit) as long as there were strict laws about what could be killed. Nothing that is even close to being endangered, for instance. Or below a certain age and possibly not during times where mating is occuring, just to ensure we don't wipe everything out.

#4 Abrar

Abrar
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:39 PM

Honestly, I wish we didn't have as many farms as we do and that more people would resort to hunting wild animals such as boar, deer, birds, and even animals like crocs. These animals have actually lived freely and have had better lives than those in most farms. But I also understand that we consume way more meat than would ever be found in the wild. So I guess I just wish people weren't so opposed to hunting (humane hunting, quick kills, not beating and shit) as long as there were strict laws about what could be killed. Nothing that is even close to being endangered, for instance. Or below a certain age and possibly not during times where mating is occuring, just to ensure we don't wipe everything out.

I say if the whole world was filled with vegetarians, it would be a better place. I'm not vegetarian but I say I could definitely do it. Like, pasta, all day every day? xD

#5 EzioAuditore

EzioAuditore
  • 246 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:42 PM

Yeah, that could work. Like I said, the deer population is controlled by hunters and having hunting seasons. Without hunters, deer would grow exponentially and they would start to destroy crops more than they already do. I'm not saying deer are complete pests like rats or roaches, but rather controlling their population will help farmers to yield more crops.

#6 lowellite

lowellite
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:04 PM

I'm fine with hunting, as long as you eat all edible parts of what you kill. It's extremely wasteful when people kill an animal but only use a small part of it, or just hunt purely for fun.

As for EzioAuditore's comment that hunting keeps certain populations in check, that is certainly an added benefit. However, there would be no need for humans to do population control if humans didn't drive the apex predators to extinction in the first place. My knowledge of this matter is limited, but I thought deer populations are usually kept in check by predators such as wolves. But as human activity drove the wolves from their habitat, deer populations were allowed to grow unchecked.

#7 wtfints

wtfints
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:05 PM

I can eat. I can't hunt. Whats dead is dead. Whats alive i can't made it dead.

#8 Warriors

Warriors
  • 985 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:38 PM

bah..hunting is ...idiotic? I don't know..At one point it was fine since it was for consumption..in an animal world its predator vs prey. Now its trophy crap..Too much hunting goes on and when stuff like this happens it just makes me wonder why to hunt?

Posted Image

These hunters, in South Carolina, every other state its been banned, usually take a bear and have a dog practicing its hunting skills by having a chained bear stand up on its hind legs, which allows for the bear to be shot easier...

As for hunters being part of the culling...I doubt they know which weak and sick animals to go afer...Usually the Predator can keep a population in check..but usually all these hunting areas have been so screwed up the whole ecosystem is in shambles....

#9 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:24 PM

If I ever go hunting. I wouldn't eat anything for the previous 2 days so I'd be completely starving and I'd use as much of the animal as possible. Otherwise it wouldn't really feel right.

#10 EzioAuditore

EzioAuditore
  • 246 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:37 AM

If I ever go hunting. I wouldn't eat anything for the previous 2 days so I'd be completely starving and I'd use as much of the animal as possible. Otherwise it wouldn't really feel right.

Well when you go hunting and kill something like a deer, you take the animal to be processed. A butcher will cut it up and make ground meat, steaks, jerky etc.

The same way as a cow, except it is killed in a more humane way.

#11 Code

Code
  • Patron of Absorbia

• 435 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:24 AM

I never tried hunting before, doesn't have the chance.

However, if I do have a chance, I might try, as a sport, entertainment. Not for a living or anything like that though.

:ninja:

#12 Lallard

Lallard
  • 487 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:36 AM

If you think hunting is wrong then think about how chicken, cattle, pigs, etc are raised in farms and ask yourself this; Is that really more humane than hunting?

I figure that either one--hunting or farming, serves a different purpose:

Hunting is usually practiced nowadays for mainly sporting/entertainment, not for food. The latter's more or less an incentive, since if you're thinking of game meat as something that's being hunted for I'd doubt it -- it's probably farmed.

#13 EzioAuditore

EzioAuditore
  • 246 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:42 AM

Hunting is usually practiced nowadays for mainly sporting/entertainment, not for food. The latter's more or less an incentive, since if you're thinking of game meat as something that's being hunted for I'd doubt it -- it's probably farmed.

I don't think I know anyone that hunts deer, dove, pheasant, squirrel, elk, etc. that don't consume 95% of the meat that they get from the animal, and I live in an area where there are a lot of hunters.

If you are talking animals like bears, rams and other animals like that, then yes, most people do hunt them for trophy and not for meat.

#14 Fayt

Fayt
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:45 AM

First off I am a hunter. I have lived on a farm my whole life and that is just a way of life here for the most part.

Honestly, I wish we didn't have as many farms as we do and that more people would resort to hunting wild animals such as boar, deer, birds, and even animals like crocs. These animals have actually lived freely and have had better lives than those in most farms. But I also understand that we consume way more meat than would ever be found in the wild. So I guess I just wish people weren't so opposed to hunting (humane hunting, quick kills, not beating and shit) as long as there were strict laws about what could be killed. Nothing that is even close to being endangered, for instance. Or below a certain age and possibly not during times where mating is occurring, just to ensure we don't wipe everything out.

You cant say that animals that grow up on farms have not had good lives. Granted, they may not be AS free as if they were in the wild...but they wouldn't survive in the wild probably anyways. Have you ever heard of someone letting a domesticated animal and letting it go into the wild?? Sometimes it lives but...

Also, there is a BIG difference between a farm and a slaughterhouse. From the sounds of it you are definately more referring to slaughterhouses. Which, 99% of the meat that you buy in the store...is from slaughterhouses probably. Hence, farms = good meat/animals....slaughterhouse= baddd. ;)

bah..hunting is ...idiotic? I don't know..At one point it was fine since it was for consumption..in an animal world its predator vs prey. Now its trophy crap..Too much hunting goes on and when stuff like this happens it just makes me wonder why to hunt?

Hunting is anything from idiotic. It still is for consumption. Some animals are hunted for trophies, but most are just hunted. Okay, I will admit, there are quite a few 'trophy' animals out there. Deer, Bears, Turkey to name a few. BUT what about Pheasant, Dove, Quail, Rabbit?? There are just as many animals out there that are not trophy animals as there are trophy animals. Besides, if you are a real hunter...and not just some big game person...even if you get the 'Big Buck' you are still going to eat every part of it like you would a smaller animal.

That being said, we actually go for smaller dear(1-2 years old), as they tend to taste much better :).

As for hunters being part of the culling...I doubt they know which weak and sick animals to go afer...Usually the Predator can keep a population in check..but usually all these hunting areas have been so screwed up the whole ecosystem is in shambles....

Deer, you don't need to know 'which ones to go after' to cull them really. They ARE a pest if they get thick. They ARE a nusiance. I live in an area that is sometimes VERY populated with deer, and the county's actually give out 6 tags at a time during off season times to go kill Doe's. If the county's are doing that then you know there is a large number of the animals. There are hundreds of wrecks in my area each year caused by deer.

Example: My mom hit 10 deer in 6 months *shakes head* , the retarded thing is that my mom literally drives 30-45 mph EVERYWHERE SHE GOES. on a 65 mph road, she'll go 45, haha.

If you live in an area that doesn't have much wildlife, I can see you having these view about the ecosystem being in shambles...come here, you'll see that where most people hunt, it is not.

Hunting is for sporting/entertainment, but it is definitely for food. I wouldn't hunt if there was no sport in it. I know I know, gun boom..what sport. First off, you hit a bird that gets up in front of your feet and shoot it down before it flies off. >.<. Secondly, ever shot a bow, tell me that isn't sport.

As you can tell though, I am in favor of hunting. I have never in my life had to go to the supermarket to buy a pound of beef (that's right never). All year round we either have deer meat, or when we run out of that, beef from one of our cattle.

On a side note I am NOT someone who cares about how large an animal is that I shoot. Period.

Edited by Fayt, 24 August 2010 - 09:49 AM.

#15 MsRose

MsRose
  • 664 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:26 AM

Fayt you look like an ass who doesn't know what he's talking about. Void your first argument and the rest would look a lot better.

#16 Xcisor

Xcisor
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:44 AM

I feel like hunting should be practiced... in the absence of factory farming. But hunting for sport it just as wasteful as our current fossil fuel society. If it was my say though I'd personally recommend vegetarianism.

#17 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:09 PM

The advent of agricultural society heralded the dawn of civilization. With tools, man can provide for himself without taking life. The buddha was vegetarian, and he lived over 2500 years ago. Only in our backwards society would we exploit the lives of other animals.

That said, not everyone is vegetarian. It's not their fault, they were raised to like the taste, as many people were raised on breast milk. So I don't have beef with meat eaters, because I don't hate on milk drinkers (I'm one myself).

As to hunting, you better make it a lifestyle. I think it's backwards to support hunting for a few weekends a year, and the rest of the time support companies like Sysco, Nestle, DuPont, Monsanto, JBS and Kraft. Your money is your vote, people. That's why the saying goes "put your money where your mouth is".

#18 EzioAuditore

EzioAuditore
  • 246 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:53 PM

The advent of agricultural society heralded the dawn of civilization. With tools, man can provide for himself without taking life. The buddha was vegetarian, and he lived over 2500 years ago. Only in our backwards society would we exploit the lives of other animals.

That said, not everyone is vegetarian. It's not their fault, they were raised to like the taste, as many people were raised on breast milk. So I don't have beef with meat eaters, because I don't hate on milk drinkers (I'm one myself).

As to hunting, you better make it a lifestyle. I think it's backwards to support hunting for a few weekends a year, and the rest of the time support companies like Sysco, Nestle, DuPont, Monsanto, JBS and Kraft. Your money is your vote, people. That's why the saying goes "put your money where your mouth is".

Well I don't have the money nor the time to hunt as much as I'd like to, so in that case I just hunt when I can, and I eat what I hunt.

I support it year round, however personally I can only afford to do it once in a while, and dove is the cheapest to do around here.

#19 Lallard

Lallard
  • 487 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:36 PM

I don't think I know anyone that hunts deer, dove, pheasant, squirrel, elk, etc. that don't consume 95% of the meat that they get from the animal, and I live in an area where there are a lot of hunters.

If you are talking animals like bears, rams and other animals like that, then yes, most people do hunt them for trophy and not for meat.

Now I got one question: is hunting a reliable source of meat? Correct me if I'm mistaken, but from as far as I know not all these animals that you've mentioned are readily "hunt-able" yearlong.

#20 MsRose

MsRose
  • 664 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:13 PM

I don't hunt but I think being against hunting is impractical and hypocritical.

You don't think twice about squishing a bug, but how dare someone kill a deer. What gives you the right to say what is a valuable life and what isn't? You think just because a deer has more similarities to you suddenly it becomes exempt from death, while a bug, which is just as alive as any deer, is obviously a worthless being and can be killed at any time.

Also, Deer would overwhelm Wisconsin if hunter's didn't go shoot them. As all their natural predators have moved farther north.

#21 Fayt

Fayt
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

Fayt you look like an ass who doesn't know what he's talking about. Void your first argument and the rest would look a lot better.

I don't think I need to void my first argument to be honest. They had good points, I was just saying that slaughterhouses aren't farms, and that is where the vast majority of your meat in supermarkets is coming from.

I may have come off a bit harsh or something when saying that, and if that is the case I apologize, but I still stick to what I say as far as that goes. There are people around where I live that have slaughterhouses, and people with actual farms, and there is a big difference :).

You can't really say that though fully. Hunting seasons in most places aren't open year round, and instead are only open for a month or two for each season. Also, some people love deer hunting, while others love to hunt pheasants, or maybe you hate both of those and would rather rabbit hunt in the winter.

Take me for instance. The meat that I get doesn't always come from me necessarily killing an animal. I am lucky to have several brothers and a father that love deer hunting more than me(plus they have more time and are closer), while I wouldn't miss pheasant and dove season. Deer compared to dove though is a big difference of meat. That being said, I don't think that it is fair to say that if you love hunting a certain type of animal when that season is open that you can expect it to provide from you all year....which means you may have to end up supporting the companies you have mentioned. xD

#22 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

Hunting any animal or fish is completely fine by me, it's the way of fucking life. I must admit to fishing for entertainment though. :lookaround:

#23 MsRose

MsRose
  • 664 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:53 AM

I don't think I need to void my first argument to be honest. They had good points, I was just saying that slaughterhouses aren't farms, and that is where the vast majority of your meat in supermarkets is coming from.

I'm no expert, but it seems pretty apparent to me that animals are raised on factory farms and are then sent to the slaughterhouse, where they are killed or whatever it is they do at a "slaughter" house.

#24 InsertRandomNameHere

InsertRandomNameHere
  • 340 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:57 AM

Hunting any animal or fish is completely fine by me, it's the way of fucking life. I must admit to fishing for entertainment though. :lookaround:

Its fun :D I fish and when I'm done I just put 'em back to where they belong :thumbsup:

#25 MsRose

MsRose
  • 664 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:05 AM

Its fun :D I fish and when I'm done I just put 'em back to where they belong :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-4Bqj6mWws&feature=related

He does a different joke about fish which is relevant to what you said, but this will have to do...

Edited by MsRose, 25 August 2010 - 04:06 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users