Photo

Hunting...

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#26 EzioAuditore

EzioAuditore
  • 246 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:20 AM

Now I got one question: is hunting a reliable source of meat? Correct me if I'm mistaken, but from as far as I know not all these animals that you've mentioned are readily "hunt-able" yearlong.

Yes, and that's to ensure that animals don't become endangered. Look at whales. People hunted them for meat and oil for hundreds of years and still do to this day, and had many governments not put a ban on whaling, they would be extinct.

The same is true with any animal. Hunting is fine, but killing animals year round would not give them a chance to regrow in the population that some hunters have killed off.

There are some animals where I am from though that you are allowed to kill anytime, mainly coyotes.

No regulation on the kind of gun you need to use, what time of year, size, or anything of that. If you see a coyote, you can kill it, right then and there. (this is because they are pests though, not because they are hunted for meat)

#27 Sumgirl

Sumgirl
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

I think hunting for "fun" or "sport" isnt cool. But if you are going to eat what you kill that's fine. Personally I don't think I could hunt, because I hate killing things, even spiders. :(

#28 Lallard

Lallard
  • 487 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

Yes, and that's to ensure that animals don't become endangered. Look at whales. People hunted them for meat and oil for hundreds of years and still do to this day, and had many governments not put a ban on whaling, they would be extinct.

The same is true with any animal. Hunting is fine, but killing animals year round would not give them a chance to regrow in the population that some hunters have killed off.

There are some animals where I am from though that you are allowed to kill anytime, mainly coyotes.

No regulation on the kind of gun you need to use, what time of year, size, or anything of that. If you see a coyote, you can kill it, right then and there. (this is because they are pests though, not because they are hunted for meat)

Alright then, makes sense.
Given the regulations in hunting, it's really not bad at all then (at least for its entertainment purposes). As mentioned a couple of times already though I'm hopping in to the idea that farming can't really be compared much to the sport.

#29 Fayt

Fayt
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:13 AM

I'm no expert, but it seems pretty apparent to me that animals are raised on factory farms and are then sent to the slaughterhouse, where they are killed or whatever it is they do at a "slaughter" house.

We are just talking about different terms same thing then. Here, we actually call them that...because essentially that is what they will be/are to us. they don't care about the animals, and don't treat them well at all.

but I understand where you are coming from, calling them factory farms is right...like I said though, just a difference of what terms we use around my area. :)

#30 Lallard

Lallard
  • 487 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:23 AM

We are just talking about different terms same thing then. Here, we actually call them that...because essentially that is what they will be/are to us. they don't care about the animals, and don't treat them well at all.

but I understand where you are coming from, calling them factory farms is right...like I said though, just a difference of what terms we use around my area. :)

Don't care about the animals huh.

Well what do you propose on doing, killing them in a "humane" way? Animals are animals, and in no way do they have the cognitive ability to obtain human emotions/feelings (particularly in the case of these farm animals); anthropomorphizing can be such a big misconception.

#31 Fayt

Fayt
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:06 PM

Don't care about the animals huh.

Well what do you propose on doing, killing them in a "humane" way? Animals are animals, and in no way do they have the cognitive ability to obtain human emotions/feelings (particularly in the case of these farm animals); anthropomorphizing can be such a big misconception.

If I stick thousands of animals into smaller places then necessary...feed them food that isn't really good for them and only worry about how large they get...then I see that as not caring about the animals.

Do you go around kicking your dog and then wonder why the fuck it won't come to you when you want it to?? Because if you are saying that animals have no feelings on those sort of things you are wrong imo.

I wasn't talking about killing them, just the way they get treated when being raised.

#32 Adina

Adina
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:25 AM

Alright, so I'm going to be a huge hypocrite and say that as much as I'm against killing animals, I like eating meat. Except, I only eat fish and chicken because I don't like the taste of beef or pork anymore. I don't find it right that we kill chickens and stuff, and we don't kill cats (I know in some places, people do eat cats and dogs). I'm not saying I want cats to be killed, but why did we decide certain animals are okay to slaughter? Maybe my opinion will change when I'm out of my teenage years, but for now that's how I feel. I also think hunting for fun and trophies and showing off is stupid. It's not cool. I don't know, I mean maybe if I cared that much, I would just become a vegetarian. I just can't give up meat, too difficult. I'm already unhealthy enough as it is, and it would be difficult for me to keep a balanced diet with protein.

#33 EzioAuditore

EzioAuditore
  • 246 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:00 AM

Alright, so I'm going to be a huge hypocrite and say that as much as I'm against killing animals, I like eating meat. Except, I only eat fish and chicken because I don't like the taste of beef or pork anymore. I don't find it right that we kill chickens and stuff, and we don't kill cats (I know in some places, people do eat cats and dogs). I'm not saying I want cats to be killed, but why did we decide certain animals are okay to slaughter? Maybe my opinion will change when I'm out of my teenage years, but for now that's how I feel. I also think hunting for fun and trophies and showing off is stupid. It's not cool. I don't know, I mean maybe if I cared that much, I would just become a vegetarian. I just can't give up meat, too difficult. I'm already unhealthy enough as it is, and it would be difficult for me to keep a balanced diet with protein.

So you are alright with people hunting to eat the meat?

#34 Lineage

Lineage
  • 498 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:14 AM

I mean maybe if I cared that much, I would just become a vegetarian. I just can't give up meat, too difficult. I'm already unhealthy enough as it is, and it would be difficult for me to keep a balanced diet with protein.

You could skip eating meat your whole life and never have issues of not getting enough protein. Protein can be found in so many other sources, it's absolutely ridiculous.

#35 Adina

Adina
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:41 PM

So you are alright with people hunting to eat the meat?

Only if they need it. I mean, only if they can't afford to buy food. There's fresh produce in a store, why would you kill more animals just because you prefer wild duck over chicken? Beats me.

#36 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:54 PM

lol @ the neo nerds telling stories about catching and eating their prey like the wolves they got in the posters all over their walls....lol

#37 EzioAuditore

EzioAuditore
  • 246 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:56 PM

Only if they need it. I mean, only if they can't afford to buy food. There's fresh produce in a store, why would you kill more animals just because you prefer wild duck over chicken? Beats me.

It's obviously more expensive to go hunting than it is to get produce in a store, and this is a debate about hunting, not about people needing to be vegetarians.

Also, unless you are buying cage free organic chickens, the chicken you buy in the store is essentially tortured it's whole life before it is killed for YOU to eat.

Edited by EzioAuditore, 30 August 2010 - 03:57 PM.

#38 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:57 PM

The advent of agricultural society heralded the dawn of civilization. With tools, man can provide for himself without taking life. The buddha was vegetarian, and he lived over 2500 years ago. Only in our backwards society would we exploit the lives of other animals.

That said, not everyone is vegetarian. It's not their fault, they were raised to like the taste, as many people were raised on breast milk. So I don't have beef with meat eaters, because I don't hate on milk drinkers (I'm one myself).

As to hunting, you better make it a lifestyle. I think it's backwards to support hunting for a few weekends a year, and the rest of the time support companies like Sysco, Nestle, DuPont, Monsanto, JBS and Kraft. Your money is your vote, people. That's why the saying goes "put your money where your mouth is".

It's not easy to make hunting a life style, considering only natives can hunt whatever they like year round. I have hunted a variety of birds, deer, rabbit and moose. It was always fun to strap a couple of guns to my ATV and go cruising in the woods for whatever the season dictated. /redneck

#39 Fayt

Fayt
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:32 PM

I didn't quote Ezio's post that he replied to this...but he's right. Plus on top of that, the taste of meat is totally different. Why do you buy chicken over beef?? You prefer it. I hunt because I prefer that.

lol @ the neo nerds telling stories about catching and eating their prey like the wolves they got in the posters all over their walls....lol

Lol at you for not knowing what the hell you're talking bout. :)

Catching is not the same as shooting. And just because you have grown up in a city and never see wildlife, don't hate.

On a separate note....Dove season opens Wed. xD

Edited by Fayt, 30 August 2010 - 08:33 PM.

#40 EzioAuditore

EzioAuditore
  • 246 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:20 AM

On a separate note....Dove season opens Wed. xD

I know!

A few friends and I went out and shot a few hundred clay pigeons the other day, and I am skipping my night class on Wednesday to go hunting. :p I would go in the morning but I have class from 8-11 and I can't miss those classes. :p

#41 Fayt

Fayt
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:28 AM

I know!

A few friends and I went out and shot a few hundred clay pigeons the other day, and I am skipping my night class on Wednesday to go hunting. :p I would go in the morning but I have class from 8-11 and I can't miss those classes. :p

My dad and brothers and I are going out at like 6am tomorrow :p.

We already have a field that we know they are coming into...so now just time to go get em :)

#42 lowellite

lowellite
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:55 PM

I know!

A few hundred? Can you guys eat that much? :p

#43 Fayt

Fayt
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:18 PM

A few hundred? Can you guys eat that much? :p

If this was a joke...then sorry for replying...but...

Clay Pigeons are clay disks that you just use to practice shooting. They use they for shooting tournament snad stuff I believe too...but when we shoot them it is just to practice shooting. :)

#44 lowellite

lowellite
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:43 PM

Clay Pigeons are clay disks that you just use to practice shooting. They use they for shooting tournament snad stuff I believe too...but when we shoot them it is just to practice shooting. :)

Haha, after I read this, I wish I was joking, but I really didn't know what Clay Pigeons are at the time. <_< (Lack of hunting background...)

Thanks for telling me though.

#45 lowellite

lowellite
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:46 PM

Haha, after I read this, I wish I was joking, but I really didn't know what Clay Pigeons are at the time. <_< (Lack of hunting background...)

#46 Fayt

Fayt
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:02 AM

Yup. Not a problem . :)

If you hadn't went hunting or shoot for sport it's completely understandable that you wouldn't know. So no big :).

30 minutes to daylight! Time to go! :D

#47 Ziz

Ziz
  • 936 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:03 PM

I Personally, I think that in most of the cases it's only for fun, you can not deny it. But I think it's reasonable as long as it's not insane hunting and almost everything is used (not just hunt and waste almost everything).

If I had the chance of hunting (controlled) I would, I wonder how deer meat tastes :)

Edited by Ziz, 04 September 2010 - 09:17 PM.

#48 EzioAuditore

EzioAuditore
  • 246 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:04 AM

I Personally, I think that in most of the cases it's only for fun, you can not deny it. But I think it's reasonable if it's allright as long as it's not insane hunting and almost everything is used (not just hunt and waste almost everything).

If I had the chance of hunting (controlled) I would, I wonder how deer meat tastes :)

Deer (Venison) is one of my favorite meats. It is naturally like 96 or 97% fat free and tastes better than beef IMO.

I also won't deny that I do think that it's fun to hunt, for the thrill, but I also eat what I kill, because otherwise it would just be a waste of shells, time, and birds.

#49 Adina

Adina
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:32 AM

Thing is I could never kill a deer, no matter how good the meat tasted. I accidentally killed a fish when I was fishing and I was sulking the whole day. :(

#50 MiladyM

MiladyM
  • 428 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:59 AM

I think hunting for "fun" or "sport" isnt cool. But if you are going to eat what you kill that's fine. Personally I don't think I could hunt, because I hate killing things, even spiders. :(

Agreed with the first two lines you said, its the way its supposed to be. I dont kill spiders either, but I do call my bf to do it for me.. creepy little things :p

Edited by Milady, 04 September 2010 - 03:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users