Quantcast

Photo

Is the neopets cheating community bigger than the legit community?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 cpvr

cpvr
  • 206 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

Do you guys believe that neopets cheating community - is more popular than the legit players community? If so, why do you think this is the cause? If you feel that the legit community is bigger, what legit communities are the biggest?

#2 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:10 PM

The BD Chat and AC chat/ Games Chat = Huge Cheaters
NC Mall Chat are pretty big on buying pets / neopoints / NC items with cash too.
Trade Chat is tight-knit group of people but they probably AB/ Use Auto Snipers
The Pound Chat buy and sell pets for money all the time, too.

So I guess whatever is left is what's the good innocent part of Neopets that remains O_o;

TCG Chat, Jellyworld, Monster Sightings, Newbies, Help Chat, Spotlights / Galleries, Customisation, Beauty Contest
Yeah most of those boards are butt-fucking inactive, but you see what I'm getting at heeereee.

I think the real legit people are the little kids that make up like 99% of the real Neopets population that barely know how to do anything but dailies and a few games and don't have chat options ~_~

#3 Roxi

Roxi
  • 499 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:11 PM

Mmm... it's hard to tell. I think many more people who play legit would cheat if they knew how. Personally, before my boyfriend found Codex, I never would have thought cheating was possible. Never occurred to me really. Considering neopets is a child's site and kids like my 7 year old brother play, too, I'd think the legit community would probably be slightly higher.

#4 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:12 PM

We have them in girth but they've got us in length

#5 cpvr

cpvr
  • 206 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:13 PM

Mmm... it's hard to tell. I think many more people who play legit would cheat if they knew how. Personally, before my boyfriend found Codex, I never would have thought cheating was possible. Never occurred to me really. Considering neopets is a child's site and kids like my 7 year old brother play, too, I'd think the legit community would probably be slightly higher.

Do you think because of the kids - those legit communities are less active? Some kids don't like to talk much, true?

#6 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:15 PM

I think there are more legit people in the community - but very few wealthy legit non-cheaters XD

Edited by neobrah, 31 January 2011 - 08:20 PM.

#7 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:26 PM

I think any community that is dedicated to honest discussion away from the prying eyes of TNT will be better than any Neo-only community.

That said, I think that both legit and non-legit communities have a certain affection towards the game, and that common interest allows us to have an interesting starting common ground for discussion.

#8 mysterybat

mysterybat
  • 305 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

I think they are nearly the same ,probably more illegit players LOL
because many people are lazy to learn special skills such as restocking and sniping ,and make them easier to get profit,and will just use Autobuyer
and also many people are tempted by the beautiful game trophies so to use high score sender

but once they have get frozen,they have no way to complain :unsure:

#9 Dreww

Dreww
  • 552 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:43 PM

My guess is the legit communities far outleague the cheating communities. Pinkpt and Neomallers both have huge followings, and not to mention what a large percentage of the active neoboards are legitimate.

#10 Dichromate

Dichromate
  • 277 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

I think the legit community is bigger than the cheaters. Well, depending on what kind of cheating you're talking about. If it's small time stuff like playing games on different accounts and sending it to one main, even kids do it. If it's stuff like AB/SS/the old image clicks that you consider cheating, the cheating community would be significantly smaller. It just never occurs to some people. I only started cheating last year myself and only after my friend reminded me.

And kids don't talk much?
They never shut up, you mean. They just all have 23-year-old accounts and thinks adding 'soooooo' in front of a word makes it sarcastic. You just have to stare at the Newbie/Writers' board...

#11 Dreww

Dreww
  • 552 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:47 PM

I think the legit community is bigger than the cheaters. Well, depending on what kind of cheating you're talking about. If it's small time stuff like playing games on different accounts and sending it to one main, even kids do it. If it's stuff like AB/SS/the old image clicks that you consider cheating, the cheating community would be significantly smaller. It just never occurs to some people. I only started cheating last year myself and only after my friend reminded me.

And kids don't talk much?
They never shut up, you mean. They just all have 23-year-old accounts and thinks adding 'soooooo' in front of a word makes it sarcastic. You just have to stare at the Newbie/Writers' board...

"Current Topic: day 12 without washing my hair, i thitnk it's time to wash it "
"Current Topic: i cant tell if i am being deliberately avoided or if he is just busy "
I agree with you.

#12 mysterybat

mysterybat
  • 305 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

these days even meet cheaters in Keyquest room .... never heard about that XD
they use programmes to play KQ games ,and when I am playing with them,they suddenly get a power-up without a reason :sorry:

#13 Dayzee

Dayzee
  • 483 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:52 PM

I also think the legit community is much larger per capita. Cheaters probably have a lot more accounts, though, so they ratio of cheating accounts vs legit accounts would be substantially higher than cheating players vs legit players.

#14 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:06 PM

The legit community seems massive, though it's not as if those who are illegit go around flaunting it, so we'll never truly know the size of either.

From my experiences by playing completely legit until not too long ago, it's hard to come to terms with just how easy cheating can be. Most kids/teenagers/young adults, myself included, don't really want to take the risk, especially on their hard-earned accounts. It was like.. TNT made it feel like it was impossible to cheat. It felt impossible not only because cheaters are frozen left and right, but also people we never even expected, or even those we thought surely were not guilty. It felt like if you did the tiniest thing, you were going to be frozen. We are aware though, that in most cases people are eventually caught, but that doesn't change that fact that some do get away with it for quite a long time.
That risk at first kept me away, but after years and years of playing the site and failing to save up for anything decent, I caved. It was truly freeing, as stupid as that sounds, but I wasn't addicted any more, if that make sense? The game became just a game instead of a obsessive hobby. I could earn the things I wanted to get (slowly, but surely) without spending all of my free time on a website.

As dumb as that probably sounds, I was trying to get to a certain point. I think that over time the illegitimate community will become more popular and pronounced as ever before because of these realizations.
This of course, is definitely not good for the current community, who are now struggling with the increasing amount of ABing competitors..

Biggest legit community in my opinion? Any community that is predominately poor. Which I think is rather sad, but true.

Long post was way too loong and rambley but I'm practicing writing for English so, yeah.

#15 Roxi

Roxi
  • 499 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:11 PM

these days even meet cheaters in Keyquest room .... never heard about that XD
they use programmes to play KQ games ,and when I am playing with them,they suddenly get a power-up without a reason :sorry:

....Why don't we have a KQ autoplayer? Now that would be awesome. Although, honestly how do you know they're cheating? REs happen in KQ that give power-ups, ya know.

#16 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:50 PM

....Why don't we have a KQ autoplayer? Now that would be awesome. Although, honestly how do you know they're cheating? REs happen in KQ that give power-ups, ya know.

I'm computer retarded, but I think I've seen it mentioned somewhere that it would be unwise to make or use one because of the type of system/programming/whatever KQ uses.

#17 Roxi

Roxi
  • 499 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:12 PM

That's what I would think. It seems a lot more complex than flash games. That's why I asked how he knew they were actually cheating.

#18 Moriarty

Moriarty
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

Katrinas got it. That's how it looked on my side of the fence. I'd like to make gratuitously unhelpful additional commentary to this topic and note that cheating requires a modicum of technological savvy. When I was legit and active I didn't know the meaning of: torrent, 4chan, Lisp, bash scripting. I didn't Google things for myself. I don't realize how much of a geek mindset this is (researching your own questions! the hell?) until I have to deal with some of my blood relations. So if you're not technologically savvy you kinda get the concept of cheating, and maybe you've wanted to try an autobuyer, but where do you start? No clue. All your neofriends are legit and you can't neomail them things like "Can you help me start out with score sending? Because I know that's what you're doing, you serial freezing victim."

I'd like to say most of the userbase is legal, but the kids on the Neoboards (the most visible ones) are cheating. You don't get uptight about status and prestige and avatars and high scores and painted pets until you hit the AC/BD/Pound Chat. But I'm pretty sure most of the writers and poets and art kids are legit. I was one of them and I still know a lot of 'em (dorkily earnest). That might be the best get-rich-quick method on Neopets if you're going straight and legal. Talent (the kind that TNT look for) is dead cheap.

Like your mom.

#19 Doginator

Doginator
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:40 PM

I'd say the legit community is way bigger.
But then again Abrosia misses a bunch of items all the time, so either you guys' settings are set to pwn or there are quite a few cheaters amidst neopets.

#20 Barophobia

Barophobia
  • 612 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:46 AM

But then again Abrosia misses a bunch of items all the time, so either you guys' settings are set to pwn or there are quite a few cheaters amidst neopets.

Im pretty sure its those china people hardcore cheaters. Don't give a fuck whether they get banned, just want quick neopoints :p

#21 iceberg2477

iceberg2477
  • 353 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:59 AM

i think the community is for the most part evenish? before i found codex i was rs and auction sniping with decent results AND i was using dial up :p. it jus became tedious having to constantly research prices and items

#22 Fresca

Fresca
  • 514 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:05 AM

If it's small time stuff like playing games on different accounts and sending it to one main, even kids do it.

When I first started playing Neopets at like 10 or 11 I had like 6 accounts that I fed into one main. I would play games all day and transfer the NP. That account ended up getting frozen on a completely unrelated offense 4 years later ... after I had actually stopped playing Neopets completely. If we're talking about the cheating community (like us, not like kids who don't really know what they're doing), I'm sure the legit community is much larger. It's the same way people overestimate how many people use Adblock. It's so easy and obvious to us, but a less-savvy user probably isn't going to do it.

#23 cpvr

cpvr
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:53 AM

Bigger in what terms? I'm also talking about online communities - people who actually play legit and talk about it, not just cheating.

I haven't seen a lot of big-time legit communities though, that's why I asked.

#24 Frank12

Frank12
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user!

• 276 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:10 AM

Wait Adblock isn't legit? Since when?

For the record, it is basically a pyramid style on the np to legit ratio

10% (illegit) own 80% of the points
85% (legit) own 20% of the points
5% (hardcore cheater) own nothing because they are frozen too quick.

Basically. but i wonder where featheralley and Bryan (munsterpoo) stand? legit or not?

Edited by Frank12, 01 February 2011 - 10:13 AM.

#25 Fresca

Fresca
  • 514 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:13 PM

Wait Adblock isn't legit? Since when?

Nonono, I didn't mean using Adblock is cheating, although TNT *has* said that it's not legit to use Adblock to block items when you're RSing. For example, if you were looking for a certain item and you Adblocked the pictures for all other items that could restock in whatever store you were stalking, that's considered cheating. I meant that to people who know how to use it it seems like a no-brainer (and so it might seem like the majority of FF users or whatever would use it), but there are a ton of people who don't have any idea that it even exists or don't know how to go about implementing it. I basically used the Adblock analogy because there was some discussion in another Codex thread about how few people actually use Adblock. Since we're in a community of people who are generally more tech-savvy than your average user, it seems like everyone has it, when in actuality it's really not that many people. Ramble ramble ramble.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users