Changes

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#51 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:20 AM

Being someone who is relatively new to posting on the forums here, I find a lot the older members quite intimidating. I feel there are "cliques" where newer members aren't accepted so it makes it harder to post without the threat of being flamed or trolled (even in status updates). Just IMO.

I think something needs to be improved upon in getting newer members more active and feeling more welcome, other than posting in the introduction topic

#52 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:21 AM

By now, you ought to be able differentiate between an attack and an answer.

You give him too much credit.

#53 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

I'd argue that the post quality is now, on average, superior to what it was in 2006.
For example...

The restrictions on post count that some subforums now hold also might discourage people from posting (or at least skew the data, I don't know if you're counting those posts).

Hmm... I don't know if the Shakira topic is representative of all of what happened in 2006, but you may be right. :lol: To be fair, the posts in that topic are kind of amusing. :p

#54 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

What do you figure it is that causes people to post like that? Pride that people have in the site? I know that's what gets me going sometimes.

Because new members don't have to strive for private, a much more selective group than advanced, they post less. Post quality is up, no doubt, but quantity is way down. Monthly private elections were always something fun to look forward to, despite the fact that I never met requirements.

#55 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

Being someone who is relatively new to posting on the forums here, I find a lot the older members quite intimidating.

Rawr!

Erm, I mean, you're welcome here. :D

Because new members don't have to strive for private, a much more selective group than advanced, they post less. Post quality is up, no doubt, but quantity is way down. Monthly private elections were always something fun to look forward to, despite the fact that I never met requirements.

Advanced is kind of like private though, with the + thingy and all.... Should we give Advanced+ a discussion area for nominated members only? Maybe that would make it seem almost exactly like Private...

#56 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

I think we used to have an active member base who had interesting things to say, and were interested in what other people had to say.
Nowadays, our most active topics tend to be the ones where people list a reply to the OP without having to engage in a community discussion.

Many website communities evolve over time leaving the original, or older, community members feeling alienated from the newer members. It may not be that there isn't anything interesting to post in, some days there really isn't, but it could be stemming from the fact that rather than engaging in the newer community we get stuck in ruts stemming from tradition and nostalgia. It is a sad fact that things change, seemingly so drastically, over the years but that doesn't mean that what remains isn't something that can still be participated in.

On the other side of the coin the reason that posting is so much lower these days than it was in prior years is because there isn't enough engaging topics. This isn't necessarily the newer user base's fault but merely the effect of an evolving community. It could also be that, as Sweeney pointed out here, there is less discussion occurring and more responding to the OP and then abandoning the thread.

#57 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Rawr!

Erm, I mean, you're welcome here. :D

It's because I have boobs right?!

#58 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

I think something needs to be improved upon in getting newer members more active and feeling more welcome, other than posting in the introduction topic

Such as?

#59 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

Nope, but now that you mention it, boobs are wonderful things.

o.o

Spoiler

#60 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Advanced is kind of like private though, with the + thingy and all.... Should we give Advanced+ a discussion area for nominated members only? Maybe that would make it seem almost exactly like Private...

Initially noobs began posting in hopes of gaining access to the better programs (similar to the perks of Abrosia for Advanced, although Private had many more programs than just an ABer, I believe) but those who became active members enjoyed the community once they began posting. I'm not advocating against subscriptions at all, but it seems that if you can buy access to those 'private' programs, posting isn't needed and thus members become active much less than the already somewhat rare occurrence.

#61 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

I've actually wondered why there was not already an area designated for this purpose as this would allow more of a middle ground between the Retired members and the newer community. Retired members that don't drift from their section may be inclined to engage the Advanced+ members more actively and thus increase the frequency of Retired member voting as they deem fit.

#62 Norava

Norava
  • Pro Can Cran

• 547 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

Nope, but now that you mention it, boobs are wonderful things.

o.o

Spoiler

Are those boobs with a freckle in between? :ph34r:

#63 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

Are those boobs with a freckle in between? :ph34r:

Sure. I chose to leave out the other freckles.

#64 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

How you doin?

#65 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

Such as?

QFE. I think this is a problem that I keep hearing about, but I'm not really sure what to do about it.

You could always go on IRC and chat (chatting =/= posting, for the IRChaters) to get to know people from the forums, or I dunno. Talk about subjects that you are interested in and find like-minded people? :S

#66 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

QFE. I think this is a problem that I keep hearing about, but I'm not really sure what to do about it.

You could always go on IRC and chat (chatting =/= posting, for the IRChaters) to get to know people from the forums, or I dunno. Talk about subjects that you are interested in and find like-minded people? :S

Posting noods works also

#67 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

I think we could do with introducing more activity generators like contests, competitions etc in a more organised way.

#68 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

If he commits a bannable offense. Until then, nope.

I am certain that past members have been banned for far less than the theft of the entire site's programming output... :p

#69 Norava

Norava
  • Pro Can Cran

• 547 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

Sure. I chose to leave out the other freckles.

This is how I pictured it initially.

Spoiler

#70 EveMazing

EveMazing
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

I'm not too sure if Neopets dying is causing the recent "inactivity" that the older members like Sweeney are speaking of. There were just as many active members in 2005/2006 as now I think, but boy were the people in 05/06 ever posting. We'd consistently hit over 1000 posts per day on the forum, just from.... who knows what. Now, we barely hit 300 some days. :/

What do you figure it is that causes people to post like that? Pride that people have in the site? I know that's what gets me going sometimes.

I may not have been here for years and years like most of you but I think I have a theory to why there aren't as many posts. I'm not trying to offend anyone and I don't think anyone here is sensitive enough to get offended by this anyway so here it is. The majority of people on this site are just complete assholes. The environment on this forum a lot of the time comes off as very hostile and discouraging. I think much of the time people, especially new members, are discouraged from posting because whenever they do one or two or five members hop on it, chew it up, and spit it out. So the next time that person wants to post, they reconsider because it's not really worth getting trolled and flamed just because they may not know as much as everyone else or they are newer to the site than everyone else. And I've seen this happen over and over and over in threads and status updates as well. It creates a very hostile and ultimately unfriendly atmosphere. I feel like if that weren't the case, more people would post about more things. I think over time the hostility grew, maybe it wasn't always like this and that's why there used to be more posts a day.

And now after reading more replies, I see I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Edited by EveMazing, 09 May 2012 - 10:44 AM.

#71 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:42 AM

I think we could do with introducing more activity generators like contests, competitions etc in a more organised way.

I tried that...
Didn't work out...

#72 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

Eve maybe we just need more hostile newcomers?

Like someone who doesn't back down when they are openly being trolled and flamed?

Someone who posts consistently and frequently despite the hostilities that follow them like a rabies ridden dog?

Nah, I think encouraging a positive atmosphere would be for the ultimate best.

#73 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

I tried that...
Didn't work out...

Not singing contests.

#74 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

Perhaps if the requirements weren't so... minimal yet spread out over such a long period of time?

I thought it read 200 posts initially and I thought, Yeah here we go! Activity! Discussion! Ye- ...er wait... that says 20, nvm. -_-

That contest was a good start but it really should have been more engaging imho.

#75 EveMazing

EveMazing
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

Eve maybe we just need more hostile newcomers?

Like someone who doesn't back down when they are openly being trolled and flamed?

Someone who posts consistently and frequently despite the hostilities that follow them like a rabies ridden dog?

Nah, I think encouraging a positive atmosphere would be for the ultimate best.

lol Jesse I don't think more hostility is a good idea :p I feel like not enough is done about jerk members that discourage others about what they post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users