The Iron Thread

• Please log in to reply
352 replies to this topic

#101 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:28 PM

Aren't you aiming to be a nutritionist?

But yea don't eat too much carbs and I'll be sticking to my 5 pound work outs!

Same, It's getting tough easy lately with the 2.5s I think i'm ready for the pink ones now brah

#102 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:29 PM

Same, It's getting tough easy lately with the 2.5s I think i'm ready for the pink ones now brah

why not use the machines? those have a little safety just in case it gets too heavy for ya

#103 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:38 PM

why not use the machines? those have a little safety just in case it gets too heavy for ya

Machines tend to allow the user to cheat and incorporate more muscles groups into the movement. Therefore the efficiency of the movement is decreased severely and the targetted group gets less of a workout. Free weights allow users to build strength in stability as well. But of course if you have really good form and a strong mind muscle connection than machines are a very good choice.

A good saying my bro danton has

Lower your goddamn weight and ego, you work out to stimulate the muscle, not annihilate it.

#104 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:43 PM

Machines tend to allow the user to cheat and incorporate more muscles groups into the movement. Therefore the efficiency of the movement is decreased severely and the targetted group gets less of a workout. Free weights allow users to build strength in stability as well. But of course if you have really good form and a strong mind muscle connection than machines are a very good choice.

A good saying my bro danton has

Lower your goddamn weight and ego, you work out to stimulate the muscle, not annihilate it.

So what diet are you on? I've been doing some reading for myself lately.. be nice to have your input.

#105 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:53 PM

So what diet are you on? I've been doing some reading for myself lately.. be nice to have your input.

Lately I started the keto diet it's all about eating fat...and since we're on the topic of fats,

The bad fats you dont wanna eat TOO much of are the hydrogenated ones

A close second are most polyunsaturated fats....yes high consumption will lower your cholesterol (unless extremely high not relevent really) BUT they correspond with high risk of cancer.

Cell membranes should be mainly stable saturated fat, either from dietary sat fats or made by the body from monounsaturated fats. With high intake of polys, it was found that in people with skin cancer when removed the surrounduing skin cells were found to be primarily polyunsaturated fats.

The main risk with polyunsaturated fat is oxidation, so you shouldn't cook with it. Also, the cholesterol in eggs when exposed to heat and air will oxidise, so generally its better to have hard bold, poached or fried eggs where the yolk isn't broken.

A balance of omega 3 to 6 is required as we all know, but like anything too much isn't good, remember flax and fish oil is a so called super polyunsaturated fat, so making flax you main fat source isn't a good idea IMO.

Fish oil and flax do have some benefits beyond general health, they are utilised by the body quickly and shouldn't lead to storage as adipose tissue, the same applies top coconut oil. Coconut oil is saturated fat and full of short and medium chain triglycerides. This means it bipasses the carnitine system and is used directly as fuel.

When I take coconut oil I notice a increase in my body temp.....or someone keeps turning up the heating Posted Image It has been shown to improve body composition in animal studies.

Coconut oil is also about 46% lauric acid. This has good microbial and anti-viral properties. Mothers breast milk is high in lauric acids, so that gives you an idea of its benefits. To get the equivalent dose for achieving these effects you need about 3tblsp a day.

Olive oil. This is a great oil for general health.....but with its long chain triglycerides its more prone to be stored as adipose tissue, and in men it apparently is more likely to be around the waist Posted Image

From an evolutionary point of view, as they ate all organ meals as well, it is thought that a ratio of sat:mono: poly of 1:2:1, although I prefer a lower amount of polys, I generally try to avoid polys except fish oil as current meats are somewhat different now as animals fed polys with have more poly in their fat/meat. I also think its a good idea to swap some of the mono for coconut oil. I would also advocate fish oil from a bottle rather than flax, but limit to 2tblsp per day.

Pork btw, is high in monos, so don't be mistaken into thinking all meat faty is saturated.

#106 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:03 PM

Lately I started the keto diet it's all about eating fat...and since we're on the topic of fats,

The bad fats you dont wanna eat TOO much of are the hydrogenated ones

A close second are most polyunsaturated fats....yes high consumption will lower your cholesterol (unless extremely high not relevent really) BUT they correspond with high risk of cancer.

Cell membranes should be mainly stable saturated fat, either from dietary sat fats or made by the body from monounsaturated fats. With high intake of polys, it was found that in people with skin cancer when removed the surrounduing skin cells were found to be primarily polyunsaturated fats.

The main risk with polyunsaturated fat is oxidation, so you shouldn't cook with it. Also, the cholesterol in eggs when exposed to heat and air will oxidise, so generally its better to have hard bold, poached or fried eggs where the yolk isn't broken.

A balance of omega 3 to 6 is required as we all know, but like anything too much isn't good, remember flax and fish oil is a so called super polyunsaturated fat, so making flax you main fat source isn't a good idea IMO.

Fish oil and flax do have some benefits beyond general health, they are utilised by the body quickly and shouldn't lead to storage as adipose tissue, the same applies top coconut oil. Coconut oil is saturated fat and full of short and medium chain triglycerides. This means it bipasses the carnitine system and is used directly as fuel.

When I take coconut oil I notice a increase in my body temp.....or someone keeps turning up the heating Posted Image It has been shown to improve body composition in animal studies.

Coconut oil is also about 46% lauric acid. This has good microbial and anti-viral properties. Mothers breast milk is high in lauric acids, so that gives you an idea of its benefits. To get the equivalent dose for achieving these effects you need about 3tblsp a day.

Olive oil. This is a great oil for general health.....but with its long chain triglycerides its more prone to be stored as adipose tissue, and in men it apparently is more likely to be around the waist Posted Image

From an evolutionary point of view, as they ate all organ meals as well, it is thought that a ratio of sat:mono: poly of 1:2:1, although I prefer a lower amount of polys, I generally try to avoid polys except fish oil as current meats are somewhat different now as animals fed polys with have more poly in their fat/meat. I also think its a good idea to swap some of the mono for coconut oil. I would also advocate fish oil from a bottle rather than flax, but limit to 2tblsp per day.

Pork btw, is high in monos, so don't be mistaken into thinking all meat faty is saturated.

So which are the good fats to eat?
I'm sorry I don't exactly have a major in this stuff.. biology?
More of a humanities person, but what do you suggest for me then?

#107 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:17 PM

So which are the good fats to eat?
I'm sorry I don't exactly have a major in this stuff.. biology?
More of a humanities person, but what do you suggest for me then?

Depends on your goals. For my diet you will have to carb up once a week ( saturdays). Your workouts around thursday friday will be piss poor. Good foods to eat for fats are cream, coconut oil, olive oil, peanut butter, almonds, cheese, bacon, pepper sticks.

those are really good for people on the keto diet

#108 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:21 PM

Depends on your goals. For my diet you will have to carb up once a week ( saturdays). Your workouts around thursday friday will be piss poor. Good foods to eat for fats are cream, coconut oil, olive oil, peanut butter, almonds, cheese, bacon, pepper sticks.

those are really good for people on the keto diet

Did I read right.. cream?!
I thought most of the fat in that are bad for the body?
Well my workout routine has been brutally destroyed by sports which gets in the way, but I must confess my diet is horrid in terms of being healthy.

#109 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:41 PM

Did I read right.. cream?!
I thought most of the fat in that are bad for the body?
Well my workout routine has been brutally destroyed by sports which gets in the way, but I must confess my diet is horrid in terms of being healthy.

Well saturated fats are needed for the production of newer cells. Its best to keep your fats as unsaturated, but having about 1/4th to 1/5th of the fats unsaturated.
Yeah sports tend to really work their way into your routines. I wud suggest a split that allows you to workout in between games and practises.
SLEEP EARLY!

#110 Barophobia

Barophobia
  • 612 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:01 AM

Sleeping early is one of my life's hardest challenges ):

#111 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:57 PM

especially during adolescence

#112 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:38 PM

especially during adolescence

Which is when it matters most

Regret not sleeping more back when it mattered

#113 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:46 PM

Specially during exams :( I've literally averaged 5 hours of sleep in the past 6 days <_<
But yeah I can't work my legs and back and shoulders more then once a week, but I normally throw in an extra chest day on the weekend. And my diet is full of carbs! More carbs then protein and fat! Just for a few more months though :D :thumbsup:

#114 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:46 PM

Someone said a work-out topic needed to be created.

VOila!!!!! Share your tips, goals, nutrition, progress pics, supplements here!

Tips-Rest is key inbetween major muscle groups
Nutrition- SImple more more eat less if you want to lose weight, and eat more if u want to gain weight
My personal progress- I'm aiming for 700lbs squat by mid next year. Already accomplised 600lbs earler last month. My Bench hasn't been to well with injuries but I'm at around 365. and the other lifts im too lazy to type
Supplements- Nox, creatine. Isopure gold, turkey breasts for lunch, bison meat for dinner after workouts (:

By the way i do real squats instead of those sissy squats you see wannabes doing in the gym(: why workout if you cant get the form correct. I'll post some gifs sooner or later (:

Posted Image

this is myself about last year or so before I truly understood the dynamics of lifting.

Edited by dk8932, 14 December 2010 - 03:56 PM.

#115 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:55 PM

Tips-Rest is key inbetween major muscle groups
Nutrition- SImple more more eat less if you want to lose weight, and eat more if u want to gain weight
My personal progress- I'm aiming for 700lbs squat by mid next year. Already accomplised 600lbs earler last month. My Bench hasn't been to well with injuries but I'm at around 365. and the other lifts im too lazy to type
Supplements- Nox, creatine. Isopure gold, turkey breasts for lunch, bison meat for dinner after workouts (:

Posted Image

do you misc by any chance. paralell or atg

#116 Barophobia

Barophobia
  • 612 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:19 PM

Which is when it matters most

Regret not sleeping more back when it mattered

No kidding. Now i think back and go like, "maybe if i had slept more i might be jusssssst abit taller."

Posted Image

this is myself about last year or so before I truly understood the dynamics of lifting.

I feel skinny when i look at the pic.

Edited by barophobia, 14 December 2010 - 06:21 PM.

#117 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:23 PM

Posted Image

Nice lifts, what are your stats? ie height, weight, age
And what do you mean by "real squats"? 90 degrees? Or even lower? I personally only go 90 but I find that a real squat, any lower just puts too much pressure on the knees I find.

#118 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:28 PM

You guys need to try gironda's sissy man squats hahaha

Edited by PeonYourLawn, 14 December 2010 - 07:30 PM.

#119 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:34 PM

You should see the crazy leg exercises I do :p They don't look toooo hard but damn.. :thumbsup:

#120 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:29 PM

Nice lifts, what are your stats? ie height, weight, age
And what do you mean by "real squats"? 90 degrees? Or even lower? I personally only go 90 but I find that a real squat, any lower just puts too much pressure on the knees I find.

6'1 240--fat magoo since a year off from back injurt. squats are ass to grass or near it lol i got past parallel, if you stick at 90 my personal feelings are that its not very good for your knees. trust me ive been doing front squats and back squats past 90 and my knees are fine. more people actually change their from to go lower to put less stress on the kness. now as long as u keep ur back straight and push with ur hips u should be fine. I'll prob upload a couple gifs (:

You guys need to try gironda's sissy man squats hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx9p7mt8oyE

jeeze what exactly is that going to do for your lower body in terms of strength or endurance? -_- *facepalm

I feel skinny when i look at the pic.

eh you should ever feel skinny, be happy with the way you look (:

Got stuck with the weight on my chest benching today :( didn't have a spot and thought I could get one more rep.. nope.. embarrassing lol

always have a spot -_- no matter how big or small or how strong u are always have a spotter. Anything could happen...like that embarrassment (:

I did 8 sets of 20counts planks, and then proceeded to immediately jog on the threadmill. about 2mins later or so I tripped and banged my head on the control panel. >_>. Thank god it was 6:30am in the morning and there were only like 2 people in the gym.

haha I remember last week after HIIT training i decided to go for some runnings on the machine...My leg stiffened so hard lol it look like i had a wooden leg the way i left the gym

better to just lift hard and avoid all the running with a good diet

i used to run a lot. but ive totally stopped now

bleh lift hard and correctly (: just lifting and a good diet wont work -_- cardio is a must for anyone tryin to get into shape. Not only will help you with weight, but it'll help with endurance when u workout

#121 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:30 PM

Posted Image

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Nice pose. Hahahaha. PUNCH PUNCH! hahaha

#122 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:36 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Nice pose. Hahahaha. PUNCH PUNCH! hahaha

(: its a sunny day in america

#123 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:48 PM

6'1 240--fat magoo since a year off from back injurt. squats are ass to grass or near it lol i got past parallel, if you stick at 90 my personal feelings are that its not very good for your knees. trust me ive been doing front squats and back squats past 90 and my knees are fine. more people actually change their from to go lower to put less stress on the kness. now as long as u keep ur back straight and push with ur hips u should be fine. I'll prob upload a couple gifs (:

jeeze what exactly is that going to do for your lower body in terms of strength or endurance? -_- *facepalm

always have a spot -_- no matter how big or small or how strong u are always have a spotter. Anything could happen...like that embarrassment (:

Ah ya, I know some people who have bad knees from going low as well though, so I guess it differs person to person. Personally I just stick to 90 degrees, does what I need em to do :thumbsup:

And you'd be surprised what leg exercises like that will do for you, even with no weight. Works miracles!

Always having a spot would be ideal, although it's not always practical. Would be nice though :p

#124 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:55 PM

Ah ya, I know some people who have bad knees from going low as well though, so I guess it differs person to person. Personally I just stick to 90 degrees, does what I need em to do :thumbsup:

And you'd be surprised what leg exercises like that will do for you, even with no weight. Works miracles!

Always having a spot would be ideal, although it's not always practical. Would be nice though :p

I'd rather do single leg squats on a box (: those will tear u up pretty good!

#125 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:08 PM

Split Squats ;)
Gotta super set em with exercises that don't use weight though! Try it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users