Photo

Speed Tests!

• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#101 Lallard

Lallard
  • 487 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:54 PM

Considering his ISP is University of California, and the server is in San Diego. I'm going to guess UCSD

Oshi- I just revealed my wherabouts.

#102 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1543 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:56 PM

I call it the iargue effect. Too much time spent together.

Thanks for the defend ^^; your right i have...

Oshi- I just revealed my wherabouts.

No biggie xD Most of us know where others live ^^

#103 outeq

outeq
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:54 PM

Posted Image

#104 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:44 AM

Posted Image

Mother of god. Is that fast or are the units wrong????!?!!

#105 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:21 AM

Posted Image

I think my provider speaks for itself here <_<

I hate Cox cable more than anything. The last two places I've lived have had Verizon FiOS fiber-optic cable. At least ten times as fast DL speed.

Internet is something like 36 a month I think? I'll have to check next time rent is due...

I retested because that result seemed abnormally low, even for Cox.

Here was the second test, same server:

Posted Image

Latency fell, and dl speed rose. Hmmm. Also, my speed compared to the ISP average was abysmally small: something like 10% of average.

I just tested again, with a server in DC:

Posted Image

Latency fell, DL speed rose, UL speed rose... wtf is going on.

#106 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:32 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

LOL

Posted Image

Could be an outdated router :p Do you run on wireless?You running on a 56k or a wooden computer?

Edited by PeonYourLawn, 14 December 2010 - 01:33 AM.

#107 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:35 AM

LOL

Posted Image

Could be an outdated router :p Do you run on wireless?You running on a 56k or a wooden computer?

Yes I have a wireless router. It's a necessity when all my roommates have laptops.

Cox Cable doesn't offer 56k... but their cable service might as well be.

Final test, results almost confirm the last test:

Posted Image

#108 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:35 AM

Okay. I tried this again at 9:30am when no-one else was online in the house. Last time there were 3 other people using the net.

Posted Image

Pfft.

#109 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:37 AM

Okay. I tried this again at 9:30am when no-one else was online in the house. Last time there were 3 other people using the net.

Posted Image

Pfft.

Damn I'm pretty much 2nd slowest to redlion

Edited by PeonYourLawn, 14 December 2010 - 01:37 AM.

#110 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:38 AM

Damn I'm pretty much 2nd slowest to redlion

edit: you removed your question XD

Edited by Girl, 14 December 2010 - 01:39 AM.

#111 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:46 AM

edit: you removed your question XD

Yeah I noticed your clock is completely opposite of mine

good luck on your test :D

#112 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:47 AM

Yeah I noticed your clock is completely opposite of mine

good luck on your test :D

Thanks ^_^
It's my last one before Christmas. Posted Image

#113 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:54 AM

Posted Image

Pfft.

Out of curiosity, how many choices of internet providers do you have in NI? I was under the impression that high-speed still hadn't hit the villages yet. Judging from the fact that you're around 50 miles from your test server, you aren't in a major city (where ISPs are more likely to compete for customers).

I did all my tests when I was almost alone in the house. One of my roommates is here, but she doesn't download (I mean extensive data files) or upload (she isn't running any servers) so I think they should have been more accurate than they were. I'm about to find another speed test cite.

#114 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:00 AM

Out of curiosity, how many choices of internet providers do you have in NI? I was under the impression that high-speed still hadn't hit the villages yet. Judging from the fact that you're around 50 miles from your test server, you aren't in a major city (where ISPs are more likely to compete for customers).

I did all my tests when I was almost alone in the house. One of my roommates is here, but she doesn't download (I mean extensive data files) or upload (she isn't running any servers) so I think they should have been more accurate than they were. I'm about to find another speed test cite.

I'm actually in the heart of the capital, it just wasn't given as an option in the speed test, so I chose the nearest city, which happens to be roughly 50 miles away.
As far as internet providers go, I'm limited enough. We chose Virgin Media because it's the only one that offers fibre optic at the minute. Most villages and small towns have decent broadband now as well.

#115 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:07 AM

I'm actually in the heart of the capital, it just wasn't given as an option in the speed test, so I chose the nearest city, which happens to be roughly 50 miles away.
As far as internet providers go, I'm limited enough. We chose Virgin Media because it's the only one that offers fibre optic at the minute. Most villages and small towns have decent broadband now as well.

Ah. Belfast isn't listed? Strange, that would seem like the most likely place in the whole of the North. By contrast, Derry is (internationally) seen as a provincial shipping town, a seaport with an archaic wall around it. That's if people know of Derry in the first place, which is unlikely in most countries. I saw Derry and immediately thought of the Free Derry murals and Bloody Sunday... but I don't think that any of that is common knowledge outside of Ireland and perhaps the UK.

I'm not familiar with Virgin Media as an internet provider. In the states the only Virgin-branded media provider we've got is Virgin Mobile (prepaid mobile phones), which is owned by Sprint-Nextel anyway, so it's unlikely to be related to a UK telecom, despite the name. Richard Branson is one smart cookie when it comes to licensing his brand name. He has people on six continents using his company name to sell shit, regardless of whether the quality, service or experience is in any way comparable to the original Virgin record stores. It's quite impressive.

#116 Acheron

Acheron
  • 586 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:58 AM

Posted Image

Not too sure what the numbers mean. Anyone mind explaining?

#117 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:31 AM

Ah. Belfast isn't listed? Strange, that would seem like the most likely place in the whole of the North. By contrast, Derry is (internationally) seen as a provincial shipping town, a seaport with an archaic wall around it. That's if people know of Derry in the first place, which is unlikely in most countries. I saw Derry and immediately thought of the Free Derry murals and Bloody Sunday... but I don't think that any of that is common knowledge outside of Ireland and perhaps the UK.

I'm not familiar with Virgin Media as an internet provider. In the states the only Virgin-branded media provider we've got is Virgin Mobile (prepaid mobile phones), which is owned by Sprint-Nextel anyway, so it's unlikely to be related to a UK telecom, despite the name. Richard Branson is one smart cookie when it comes to licensing his brand name. He has people on six continents using his company name to sell shit, regardless of whether the quality, service or experience is in any way comparable to the original Virgin record stores. It's quite impressive.

Yeah, that's what I thought! I found it very strange they listed Dundalk (which, by the way, is in the republic :p) and not Belfast! That's pretty cool that you know a good bit about Derry, though! Can I ask where you're from? Because not a lot of people from here would even know that much about Derry -_-
I studied Irish history for two years and to be fair, it wasn't the most interesting of subjects. I'm always really impressed when people know a little Irish history ^_^

As for Virgin, it's very impressive. I hate to admit, but if I see something branded Virgin I assume it's going to be good, which is why I thought we should pick Virgin to be our internet providers. Turns out not everything Virgin sells is good >_>

#118 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:38 AM

It's not that complicated. Download speed is how fast your computer/connection can retrieve a file from the internet, usually through a specific number of intermediary computers. A file could be anything, but the most common are web pages, instant messages, emails, MP3s (if you're into p2p sharing) or anything really. Upload speed is the opposite, the speed at which your computer can give a file to the wider internet. These first two numbers are measured in Megabits per second. This is often confusing because if you've ever looked at the file storage system on your computer, you would notice that files are denominated by size in megabytes. The conversion is 1 megabyte to 8 megabits, so it might look like you can transfer your 800 megabyte movie in 800 seconds (with a 1Mb/s connection) but really, you've got to multiply by 8 to get the number of megabits you're transferring, and THEN you can divide by your connection speed.

The last number that you need to worry about is Ping, or latency, which is measured in milliseconds. This is the time it takes your computer to access your internet connection from the time you hit enter in the address bar. (correct me if I'm wrong guys)

Ping can also measure (although it is not, in the case of this speed test) the time from execution of a command by the user (hitting enter) to the time the CPU receives it's first computation. This is more specifically known as hardware latency, the gap between the user executing and the machine executing the same command.

#119 Faval

Faval
  • 637 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:56 AM

The last number that you need to worry about is Ping, or latency, which is measured in milliseconds. This is the time it takes your computer to access your internet connection from the time you hit enter in the address bar. (correct me if I'm wrong guys)

Latency is basically just the delay between sending and receiving packets from wherever you're trying to access. With more routers and switches along the way, the longer it will take.

#120 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:11 AM

Yeah, that's what I thought! I found it very strange they listed Dundalk (which, by the way, is in the republic :p) and not Belfast! That's pretty cool that you know a good bit about Derry, though! Can I ask where you're from? Because not a lot of people from here would even know that much about Derry -_-
I studied Irish history for two years and to be fair, it wasn't the most interesting of subjects. I'm always really impressed when people know a little Irish history ^_^

As for Virgin, it's very impressive. I hate to admit, but if I see something branded Virgin I assume it's going to be good, which is why I thought we should pick Virgin to be our internet providers. Turns out not everything Virgin sells is good >_>

I'm from the United States :p

Originally from St. Louis, Missouri, moved to a suburb of Dallas, Texas when I was nine, and I now go to University about fifteen or twenty miles outside of Washington D.C. I've been interested in Ireland for a good long while... my given name is Patrick, so I'm almost obligated to pursue a course of study in Irishness :p But when I say a course of study, I mean a leisurely stroll through the history of my ancestors, guided by a few books and the voluminous internet, naturally. I actually started out with myths and folk tales, as they were easier to read than histories. Turns out our people are pretty well known for telling tales, so I didn't feel bad that most of my knowledge of early Irish history was legendized (not technically a word, but it fits what I'm trying to say)

I visited the island with my parents and brothers in 2005, a few days before the London Tube bombings. We were in Dublin for a while, and we went out into the country to drive around, see the sights. I wish we would have stayed longer, but my parents, being who they are, had planned our trip down to the tee, with an itinerary that would never in a million years be finished in our brief stay. We were in Ireland for three days, and then we took a short flight to London. We didn't do anything that first night except get something to eat and find our hotel. We turned in early because the next day we were going to go out to see Stonehenge and Windsor Castle (I think that was the plan anyway). Unfortunately, the next day the tube bombings happened, and traffic was so clogged that we never even left the city. That is the sum total of my personal experience in Ireland, and it had the misfortune of being totally overshadowed by the events in the UK.

I did take a course in Irish Nationalism last summer though, which might explain my surprising depth of knowledge on the subject. I know what a kern is, I know who the Old English were, and I know what partition and sectarian violence must have felt like to the Irish people. I know that the Brehon laws offered a very early conceptualization of gender equality that wasn't seen for another 700 years outside of Ireland. I know that there used to be 5 provinces, countless petty kingdoms, but only one High King, who must be crowned at the Hill of Tara among all the magic rites and fairies that the poor Irish peasants could conjure. Suffice it to say I'm not ignorant on the subject :p

I can't say I'm Irish, because I wasn't born there, I wasn't raised there, and I haven't been there for any speakable length of time, but I can say I'm Irish-American. My given and family names both come from Irish, my family has an Irish heraldic coat of arms, we drink heavily... we're Irish :p

#121 AyoForYayo

AyoForYayo
  • 503 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:23 AM

Posted Image

I dont even know if that is good or not
probably not though

Edited by AyoForYayo, 14 December 2010 - 07:24 AM.

#122 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:32 AM

I'm from the United States :p

Originally from St. Louis, Missouri, moved to a suburb of Dallas, Texas when I was nine, and I now go to University about fifteen or twenty miles outside of Washington D.C. I've been interested in Ireland for a good long while... my given name is Patrick, so I'm almost obligated to pursue a course of study in Irishness :p But when I say a course of study, I mean a leisurely stroll through the history of my ancestors, guided by a few books and the voluminous internet, naturally. I actually started out with myths and folk tales, as they were easier to read than histories. Turns out our people are pretty well known for telling tales, so I didn't feel bad that most of my knowledge of early Irish history was legendized (not technically a word, but it fits what I'm trying to say)

I visited the island with my parents and brothers in 2005, a few days before the London Tube bombings. We were in Dublin for a while, and we went out into the country to drive around, see the sights. I wish we would have stayed longer, but my parents, being who they are, had planned our trip down to the tee, with an itinerary that would never in a million years be finished in our brief stay. We were in Ireland for three days, and then we took a short flight to London. We didn't do anything that first night except get something to eat and find our hotel. We turned in early because the next day we were going to go out to see Stonehenge and Windsor Castle (I think that was the plan anyway). Unfortunately, the next day the tube bombings happened, and traffic was so clogged that we never even left the city. That is the sum total of my personal experience in Ireland, and it had the misfortune of being totally overshadowed by the events in the UK.

I did take a course in Irish Nationalism last summer though, which might explain my surprising depth of knowledge on the subject. I know what a kern is, I know who the Old English were, and I know what partition and sectarian violence must have felt like to the Irish people. I know that the Brehon laws offered a very early conceptualization of gender equality that wasn't seen for another 700 years outside of Ireland. I know that there used to be 5 provinces, countless petty kingdoms, but only one High King, who must be crowned at the Hill of Tara among all the magic rites and fairies that the poor Irish peasants could conjure. Suffice it to say I'm not ignorant on the subject :p

I can't say I'm Irish, because I wasn't born there, I wasn't raised there, and I haven't been there for any speakable length of time, but I can say I'm Irish-American. My given and family names both come from Irish, my family has an Irish heraldic coat of arms, we drink heavily... we're Irish :p

Oh, wow! That's very impressive! I like you :p

That sucks about your visit :( Hopefully you'll be able to get a better trip sometime. I really love Dublin, its such a great city. If you're ever over and get the chance, I definitely recommend going to a GAA match! :p It's great craic :p

The course I studied was also Irish Nationalism ^_^ It really struck up some sectarian feelings in our class, which was quite funny. Our teacher was blatantly pro-nationalists XD

My name is Tara ^_^
I love the family crests/coat of arms. Ours is pretty XD

EDIT: So many emotes O_o

Edited by Girl, 14 December 2010 - 07:34 AM.

#123 Acheron

Acheron
  • 586 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:38 AM

Posted Image

probably not though

Haha yeah, what is a passable speed for Neopets? I think we are mainly talking about AB here.

#124 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:48 AM

Haha yeah, what is a passable speed for Neopets? I think we are mainly talking about AB here.

Mine isn't far off and I can restock legitly relatively easily :p

#125 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:52 AM

Posted Image

probably not though

Wtf. Upload speed should never ever ever ever be greater then download speed. Unless your a server. Are you a server?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users