Quantcast

Photo

The plans for Advanced Membership

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
177 replies to this topic

Poll: The plans for Advanced Membership (88 member(s) have cast votes)

Which plan do you want?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#26 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:30 AM

I personally don't see a need to distinguish between people who pay for a subscription and people who are active posters, they're both contributors but just in different ways. They should be treated as equals in my opinion.

#27 soulshin3

soulshin3
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:30 AM

But I want everyone to know that you're a stinky poopoohead.

PM me and I'll SS it and post it here.Posted Image

We will never be giving a group of people free rain as moderators. That's a horrible idea and should not be implemented. Just because someone has 10k posts and is retired, does not mean that they will provide us with anything good. Moderators should always be chose specifically by the administration because they view the person as worthy of that rank, and not given that rank because they have been here for x amount of time or have x amount of post.

Our current moderators have no issue at all handling the level of reports that we get, so there isn't even a huge need to promote more.

I should've went more in-depth with what I meant, but basically I meant what one of the ideas for advanced was. People put in applications and then they are chosen that way. Also, there's more moderation that's needed than stuff that is reported. I see people name-dropping like crazy on these forums. Stuff like that needs to be moderated. It's also been said that spam is a problem. More, eh, not really more, but better moderators would stop all of these problems. I read somewhere that someone had necro'd quite a few dead threads to get their post count up. If those threads were deleted by moderators then that wouldn't have happened. If a thread is dead, then it doesn't need to be on the forum anymore.

#28 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:41 AM

I personally don't see a need to distinguish between people who pay for a subscription and people who are active posters, they're both contributors but just in different ways. They should be treated as equals in my opinion.

Completely agreed. They're helping the site keep running and should be treated with respect.

#29 Robert

Robert
  • 6934 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:42 AM

Too many options your going to have to narrow it down after voting otherwise the votes are going to be scattered

#30 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:43 AM

The only plan that distinguishes is Plan 2, as that one has a limited access. Should we give anyone who pays private? (Eliminated the point of private being exclusively voted in). All other plans leave the access restrictions at advanced, so they can get advanced for that right.

I should've went more in-depth with what I meant, but basically I meant what one of the ideas for advanced was. People put in applications and then they are chosen that way. Also, there's more moderation that's needed than stuff that is reported. I see people name-dropping like crazy on these forums. Stuff like that needs to be moderated. It's also been said that spam is a problem. More, eh, not really more, but better moderators would stop all of these problems. I read somewhere that someone had necro'd quite a few dead threads to get their post count up. If those threads were deleted by moderators then that wouldn't have happened. If a thread is dead, then it doesn't need to be on the forum anymore.

1)Old threads will not be deleted. They are part of our community history and will always be part of the community history. If someone gravedigs. Press the report button, and it goes away.
2)This is not a forum designed to be ran in a single specific way. This is a forum were people come and hang out and grow as an individual. We allow fighting/dram to an extent, as we have seen plenty of instances where this made people into better people. We give a lot of freedoms over what goes on, as we want this to be more of a community, and less of a place where you post and follow rules. If you have a problem with anything at all, just report it. This is twice as effective has higher more moderators, and creates much less issues. Why would we add new moderators, if all we need is one of person to press the report button?

#31 Unseen

Unseen
  • Cultist of the Unseeing Eye

• 571 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:44 AM

Do enjoy this thread, I am seeing some OLD members here that I don't even know D:

On topic, people may be biased but if we did have an advanced and private members, the private members could be like mini mods, that can easily lower the stress off everyone. The voice of 30+ private members, the biased opinion drops dramatically.

#32 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:45 AM

I have to go to work early today so no time for a long post... Just wanted to agree with you on this. I say bring back private, (even if it's called advanced or full member, w/e) and the only ways in are through a vote or the subscription fee. Merge all the former private members who go merged to retired back.

#33 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:47 AM

I have to go to work early today so no time for a long post... Just wanted to agree with you on this. I say bring back private, (even if it's called advanced or full member, w/e) and the only ways in are through a vote or the subscription fee. Merge all the former private members who go merged to retired back.

I don't think they kept a list.

And I will be creating a poll after this one, that takes the 2 most popular ideas from here, and this idea (as I have heard more people say they wanted this) and putting that up for a vote.

#34 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:47 AM

Do enjoy this thread, I am seeing some OLD members here that I don't even know D:

On topic, people may be biased but if we did have an advanced and private members, the private members could be like mini mods, that can easily lower the stress off everyone. The voice of 30+ private members, the biased opinion drops dramatically.

I think it's still being referred to as a popularity contest, as is any form of voting is (that's the way humans think for the most part) That's the way it was in the past. You can't get out of it, and it's not really that bad of a thing. The people who have been voted into private have been generally good, and I don't know if all of the private members would be up for continuously voting people into advanced membership. (If I'm understanding your statement correctly)

#35 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:48 AM

I am leaning towards this as well.

#36 Unseen

Unseen

• 571 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:53 AM

I think it's still being referred to as a popularity contest, as is any form of voting is (that's the way humans think for the most part) That's the way it was in the past. You can't get out of it, and it's not really that bad of a thing. The people who have been voted into private have been generally good, and I don't know if all of the private members would be up for continuously voting people into advanced membership. (If I'm understanding your statement correctly)

All it takes is 5 or 7 privates to make it moderately unbiased. besides bias'sm is the core of chosing is someone should or should not be allowed into a "social group"

#37 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:58 AM

All it takes is 5 or 7 privates to make it moderately unbiased. besides bias'sm is the core of chosing is someone should or should not be allowed into a "social group"

The thing is, then they'd basically have to be mini-mods in which case they have to be quite active on this forum. Very few members, regardless of member, advanced or retired are actually active everyday. There are only a handful of people who are. Being private really has no correlaiton to current activity on the forum.

#38 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:02 AM

we want this to be more of a community

Didn't you say practically the exact opposite barely a few days ago?

At one point, wasn't a trial moderator position introduced that allowed people to be tested on how well they could actually do their job?

I believe we just had a trial period for newly promoted moderators.
It wasn't really a separate position, as far as I remember.

#39 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:02 AM

Didn't you say practically the exact opposite barely a few days ago?

Clearly you misunderstand the points I have been making.

The community is nothing without the programs. Always has been my point. Always will be my point.

#40 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:03 AM

Clearly you misunderstand the points I have been making.

The community is nothing without the programs. Always has been my point. Always will be my point.

Well I really wouldn't say "nothing" without the programs. It'd be a different one here, but I would like to think most of us would still be around even if all the programs were pulled off the site...

Give us a little more credit than that, man :3

#41 Unseen

Unseen

• 571 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:08 AM

how about 20>=am*1/2+pm

How about (insert number here) <= (Advanced Member vote/2) + (Private Member vote)

This completely gives the option of leaving Private members out of it or able to influence it. This lets peoples who would most likely know the person to vote upon it, instead of just random fiesta invitations. It also let's Private members help or put a stop to someone getting to said total. Adding in a time frame to keep the score, would let more people act upon it, and let people to change their decision.

Edited by Unseen, 08 July 2011 - 08:40 AM.

#42 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:10 AM

Well I really wouldn't say "nothing" without the programs. It'd be a different one here, but I would like to think most of us would still be around even if all the programs were pulled off the site...

You're wrong. The only reason any of us are here is because of the programs. Without the programs there would be
NOTHING
Posted Image

#43 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:11 AM

09:03 < Unseen|> how about 20>=am*1/2+pm
09:03 < toxic-snipe> and that is why the full vote will be handy :o
09:03 < Unseen|> get advanced members voting in two
09:03 < Unseen|> too
09:03 < Unseen|> and negative votes apply
09:03 < Unseen|> so they can be downvoted or upvoted to see if they pass
09:04 < Unseen|> it would take 40 advanced member votes just to get in
09:04 < Unseen|> and thats if any only if
09:04 < Unseen|> they're all positive
09:05 < Unseen|> and if pm see vote trading
09:05 < Unseen|> they can easily hit them down hard
09:05 < Unseen|> they have to keep these poitns for 3-7 days
09:05 < Unseen|> to finally be cleared

unfortunately my irc is cmd based and I have to do something real quick. Will edit on return.

Wow, 40? O.o

... I can't even think of 40 active advanced members, let alone all of them having positive votes :o

You're wrong. The only reason any of us are here is because of the programs. Without the programs there would be
NOTHING
Posted Image

Well that's the only reason I'M here. But he shouldn't generalize.

Don't lie punk, if argue stopped programming, you'd peace out, you neopets cheater you

#44 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:12 AM

... I can't even think of 40 active advanced members, let alone all of them having positive votes :o

I feel certain I could, if I had the time, or felt like making the effort. Sadly, I must go to work.
See you bitches at the party tonight.

#45 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:15 AM

Incorrect. We had a period without the programs. The site went down to less then 1,000 hits a day, as opposed to use getting over 30,000 as we do now. It has already been proven that the programs are essential to having a community.

#46 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:18 AM

Incorrect. We had a period without the programs. The site went down to less then 1,000 hits a day, as opposed to use getting over 30,000 as we do now. It has already been proven that the programs are essential to having a community.

Actually, you could have all the programs in the world and still have a shit community, balance is the important element.

#47 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:18 AM

There's a difference between "community" and "page hits". Yes the site would have fewer people, but that just means fewer random people showing up. Yes they have their place in the forums, but they're not exactly a core part of the community either...

#48 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:21 AM

Actually, you could have all the programs in the world and still have a shit community, balance is the important element.

Which is why we are working towards making these changes, to try and extend the community to a stronger point.

There's a difference between "community" and "page hits". Yes the site would have fewer people, but that just means fewer random people showing up. Yes they have their place in the forums, but they're not exactly a core part of the community either...

The site was dead before Abrosia was created. It was a ghost town. The community died. Simple as that.

#49 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:22 AM

Look at the neoboards: Sure they have lots of page hits. Do they have a sense of community? Maybe. More so it's fucking idiocy.

The site was dead before Abrosia was created. It was a ghost town. The community died. Simple as that.

I'm not saying the programs aren't important, sheesh. You realize that not everyone has to be on extreme sides of an argument at all times, right?

#50 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:25 AM

Look at the neoboards: Sure they have lots of page hits. Do they have a sense of community? Maybe. More so it's fucking idiocy.

I'm not saying the programs aren't important, sheesh. You realize that not everyone has to be on extreme sides of an argument at all times, right?

I'm telling you the facts man. Regardless of what you believe. The community does not exist, at all, without the programs. Unless you call 1-2 posts a day a community. As far as the discussion goes, I believe programs are far more important then the community, but we should also work on the community as well, as it is important to have.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users