Quantcast

Photo

The plans for Advanced Membership

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
177 replies to this topic

Poll: The plans for Advanced Membership (88 member(s) have cast votes)

Which plan do you want?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#76 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:36 AM

Thread gets deleted, user gets warned.
Usser makes new thread, gets deleted, gets warned.
Keeps bitching in status about it, user gets warned..
Then gets banned.

So before the user gets banned he causes a fuck-ton of drama. That is just how I have seen it happen.

Because the mods are really nice now

#77 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:37 AM

Well then wait for people to forget that stuff and then apply.
Its not like there wont be new people coming in

Or they take the alexispro approach and spam to 500 then immediately change their name to Redemptionist in hopes that no one would notice.

#78 zandra

zandra
  • 791 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:37 AM

i chose plan 4.
Plan 1 is good as it allows the community to participate on whether that person is deemed fit to be advanced

Plan 2 gives people a reason to be a private member by allowing them to use np gen. but i feel that the voting should be restricted to private,programmers,retired and admins only.

Another thing is that for plan 4, since advance members are voted in, there shouldn't be a limitation on how many copies of abrosia could be run

#79 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:38 AM

Or they take the alexispro approach and spam to 500 then immediately change their name to Redemptionist in hopes that no one would notice.

It works

#80 Joanna

Joanna
  • 839 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:39 AM

Yeah seems fine with me.
And after that, the TS will probably never ever get in.

Honestly I dont think the members here are that mean.
If I really didn't like you but saw that you actually did make useful posts I would still click Yes
Only people that really don't deserve Advanced would probably be frostz and maha IMO

What I am basically trying to say is that I think it will just cause a lot of unnecessary drama. I know not everyone is like that. It was my experience when I started that everyone was nice to me, and I fit in easily... it is just over the last couple weeks I have seen a lot of people being angry and mean at each other, and that is where my trepidation about this voting system stems from.

#81 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:40 AM

The popular votes still serves as a better decision making body than arbitrary decisions made by staff members who don't have time to be here. I challenge anyone here to name one person who was "ganged up on" and turned out to not be a spammer. In fact, if you will recall, the opposite happened where the majority of active members and programmers wanted to reset an egregious spammer who had been spamming all week. In the end the decision was overturned an administrator who just showed up on the last day and by his own admission "did not have time" to go through a week of posts.

#82 Shampoo

Shampoo
  • 295 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:45 AM

I voted for 2 purely on the basis that it would create the least amount of drama and headaches while still allowing for some benefits to be bestowed via community approval.

I don't know if it's possible using the board software, but could a downvote button similar to the current +rep be added to posts? That way spammy posts could be flagged as such, and a post with that goes past a certain amount of downvotes wouldn't count towards post count.

#83 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:49 AM

I can see that one now,

Thread titie: HEY GUYS! THANKS FOR NOT VOTING ME INTO ADVANCED MEMBER! WTF DID I DO TO YOU! BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHHHHHHHH!
Thread content: rant rant rant rant rant

Replies: Uhh, its cuz you're stupid and we hate you.
Replies: Because you're an idiot.

A)Any topics like that would be closed, and the member wanred
B)Anyone that complains about a majority decision, clearly shows that they did not deserve that position in the first place

Thread gets deleted, user gets warned.
Usser makes new thread, gets deleted, gets warned.
Keeps bitching in status about it, user gets warned..
Then gets banned.

So before the user gets banned he causes a fuck-ton of drama. That is just how I have seen it happen.

You are mistaking entertainment as Drama.

#84 Joanna

Joanna
  • 839 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:52 AM

^^^THAT is exactly what I'm talking about.

But, like I said before, I voted.... and thats all I can do... and when the voting system does or does not get implemented I will live with it.

#85 kittycat

kittycat
  • 633 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:57 AM

If the vote is just over if they spammed or not, why can't the admins just do that on their own...

#86 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:59 AM

I'm pretty sure we've established that the admins don't have time, and that they probably wouldn't want that burden of responsibility.
There's no one to specifically blame when it comes to voting.

Edited by Katrinas, 08 July 2011 - 10:59 AM.

#87 Sinwin

Sinwin
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:59 AM

If the vote is just over if they spammed or not, why can't the admins just do that on their own...

The last time I saw an admin was like 1 week ago

#88 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:00 AM

See post #81 on this page.

#89 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:02 AM

I'm pretty sure we've established that the admins don't have time, and that they probably wouldn't want that burden of responsibility.
There's no one to specifically blame when it comes to voting.

I vote to bump the Programmers up to Admins :p Or give them Admin rights. This entire business about "Well gee, the admins aren't around so our hands are tied" seems to be holding back progress.

#90 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:04 AM

I'm pretty sure some of the Programmers already have some admin rights? Just not the title.. and they don't have the final say.

Anyway.. voting equals = less work for them tbh and that's always a good thing.

#91 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:07 AM

I just want to be a Private member :p

I feel like the whole Full Member > Advanced Member is a great idea. 500 posts is seeming... easy, lately. 1,000 posts would actually take some dedication to the forum and maybe make it to where people will stay and be active.

#92 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:09 AM

An admin posted in this thread, silly :p

To try to calm some nerves, yes, there have been some drama about people not getting accepted, but that's exactly why they didn't get accepted. They weren't mature enough not to throw a shitfit and we knew it. It's poor form, really. Since donaldmax was brought up, I will say that I can think of at least 4 people in his situation get to be good, well respected members, some even voted into retired or made mod. Seriously. It might seem bad now, but once someone shows maturity, most people tend to forget why they used to hate members. They don't hold grudges because the past doesn't matter. It's the way people act now that does. People grow up. Even us "old" members understand that despite being grumpy gits.

I vote to bump the Programmers up to Admins :p Or give them Admin rights. This entire business about "Well gee, the admins aren't around so our hands are tied" seems to be holding back progress.

I'm pretty sure if this happens, the world will divide by 0 and all will collapse. No, no, no. Maybe some programmers but good lord not all of them. *shudders*

#93 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:09 AM

This entire business about "Well gee, the admins aren't around so our hands are tied" seems to be holding back progress.

This was the reason status update advertising lasted so long. Our global moderator couldn't do a damn thing about it because hydro, noit and SL couldn't be reached.

In a broader sense it addresses marginal actions. We can't make up rules and posting limits that affects 99 good posters just to target 1 bad poster. But by not doing that we need an active, vigilant oversight group to stop people from being jackasses who's only defense is "LOL The rules don't explicitly say I can't be a giant douche!!"

#94 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:12 AM

At work on my mobile... But this has to be the absolute worst idea I've seen on codex this week. Waser? Sure. Iargue? The site would implode.

#95 Sinwin

Sinwin
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:15 AM

At work on my mobile... But this has to be the absolute worst idea I've seen on codex this week. Waser? Sure. Iargue? The site would implode.

You know I think it might be interest to see Iargue as an admin

#96 kittycat

kittycat
  • 633 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:16 AM

See post #81 on this page.

Post saw, comment retracted.

#97 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:19 AM

I have no idea what iargue did before he was known as iargue, but he and Waser dealt with frostz the same way. iargue might get pissed off faster, but since the admins seem to have to come to some agreement before acting, potential petty actions wouldn't get past the brainstorm phase. The programmers are way more active than the mods, and they seem pretty mature when it comes to Neocodex, in my opinion.

#98 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:26 AM

I literally cannot believe you actually typed that after what you've been talking about in Retired.
Did you accidentally suffer a massive head trauma in the last couple of hours?

You know I think it might be interest to see Iargue as an admin

Everyone worth a damn would leave.

#99 desiqtie

desiqtie
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:26 AM

I don't know if it's possible using the board software, but could a downvote button similar to the current +rep be added to posts? That way spammy posts could be flagged as such, and a post with that goes past a certain amount of downvotes wouldn't count towards post count.

I really like this idea. :) (If it is possible) whatever Plan we go with, this sounds like it would be realllly useful. I mean just this morning I read a post where I was O_o & :nono: at the blatant spam-i-ness of it but was in too much of a rush to figure out how to bring it up to someone's attention.

What I am basically trying to say is that I think it will just cause a lot of unnecessary drama. I know not everyone is like that. It was my experience when I started that everyone was nice to me, and I fit in easily...

*knocks on wood* I've only had people be nice/helpful to me for the most part and from what I've seen that's how the majority of members have behaved. However, whenever there's been spamming/trolling/bad newb mistakes, etc then yes, there has been drama or 'meanness'. Still, I think overall most of us are probably mature enough to not let our personal business come into the voting process. And even if it did, wouldn't an applicant have to make a LOT of people angry to get denied? Plus, with the mods/admins/staff having final say - I would think they'd pick up on any bias stuff.

I don't think there's any perfect solution but adding a little more judgement to the process (via some sort of voting/application process) seems better than the arbitrary 500 posts. Especially because with some judgement maybe we'd get a little less of this: http://www.neocodex....07#entry1481507 and a little more of this: http://www.neocodex....61#entry1481761 i.e. more useful discussion and less ctrl+c, ctrl+v, let me just take out some vowels posts.

#100 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:28 AM

I just want to be a Private member :p

I feel like the whole Full Member > Advanced Member is a great idea. 500 posts is seeming... easy, lately. 1,000 posts would actually take some dedication to the forum and maybe make it to where people will stay and be active.

If you can spam up to 500 why not 1000

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users