#1 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:05 PM

This is how caffeine works for me:

I drink it
About an hour later, I become so sleepy that I'd rather die than try and keep myself awake
2 hours after that, I become wide awake and won't be able to sleep even if I want to for the next 12 hours.

So basically, everyday I drink my morning coffee at about 8 AM, I can't stay awake for my 9:30, 10:30, or 11:30 classes, but awake for my 2:30-5:30 lab. Then I won't be able to sleep until around midnight because even if I try, I won't be able to. And God forbid I have a soda at 6 PM, 'cause that'll keep me up till 2AM

yet everyday I still drink coffee because I think it'll help me stay awake. Stupid university

/boring rant.

What's caffeine do to you and why do I still drink it?

#2 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:08 PM

I get my caffeine from drinking either a monster or a 5 hour energy once a day before work or school. It keeps me awake and in a better mood.

#3 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:09 PM

I've never actually had an energy drink though. I hear people get addicted o.o Although I realize coffee ain't any better.

#4 Blissey

Blissey
  • 581 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:09 PM

I drink a high quantity of energy drinks and sodas, and occasionally take caffeine pills.
I've drank/taken it for long enough, that I actually get awful headaches when I dont have it for a day or two, similar to withdrawal symptoms.
Needless to say, it doesn't do anything for me anymore unless I drink like, an energy drink + some other form of caffeine.
When it does work, it makes me incredibly focus and puts me into a good mood.

#5 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:11 PM

Wait I lied. I have a redbull and Jager on thursday. But that's not really the point of the drink :p

if I have too much caffeine, such as 3 coffees before an exam, I dont' get overtired. but I also become so shaky and I can't focus. Like I just stare at nothing and can't look away. Which is bad when I'm in the middle of a conversation. Or driving.

#6 Kyouma

Kyouma
  • 496 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:11 PM

I don't drink any caffeine.
Some personal issue of mine. Plus, drinking or eating in the early mornings give me stomachaches.

As a result though, I have like 2-3 nap classes.

#7 Joanna

Joanna
  • 839 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:12 PM

Coffee keeps me in a good mood. Lately though I have been having bad crashes becoming soo miserable if I go without coffee. Tired cranky and all around awful feeling.

#8 Donaldmax

Donaldmax
  • 473 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:41 PM

I don't use coffee. I use an ability called "sleep".

#9 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:42 PM

Sleep isn't exactly a great remedy when you're trying not to sleep....

#10 Donaldmax

Donaldmax
  • 473 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:49 PM

Sleep isn't exactly a great remedy when you're trying not to sleep....

Get more sleep into your schedule and you don't need caffeine to focus/stay awake.
An alternative would be meditation. Ten minutes of legit meditation is equivalent to like an hour of sleep. Hard to learn, but worth it.

#11 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:50 PM

That's not really possible on days when I have school till 5, work till 10-11 and still have homework/study and have to wake up at 7:00AM everyday o.o

#12 Donaldmax

Donaldmax
  • 473 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:55 PM

That's not really possible on days when I have school till 5, work till 10-11 and still have homework/study and have to wake up at 7:00AM everyday o.o

y u on codex sho muc?
tim on codex -> sreep time

#13 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:04 PM

I take 5 hour energy drinks 1-2 times a day for the 3 finals day (one for morning finals and one for studying at night), but thats probably it.

Try Asian tea?

#14 grafxmaster

grafxmaster
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:05 PM

I have a pretty bad addiction to Mountain Dew, if I don't have it I get headaches and nausea :( I'd rather be free of it, but it's miserable for weeks without it.

I usually have one around midday and it keeps me going or else I just crash in the middle of class.

Caffeine is a good thing when you know how to use it, though :)

#15 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:06 PM

I usually have my 1 or 2 cups of coffee in the morning before class and I'm good to go, and it's mostly diluted with creamer and sugar, lol.
I will drink an energy drink once in a while (like a monster rehab or something) but most of the time I'm good with my coffee. So yummy. ^^
A few weeks ago I think I almost overdosed on caffeine it felt like, cause I just had the wrong things at the wrong time. o.o Freaked my shit out, I had weird muscle pains all over and was shaking like crazy. So I'm trying to stay away from energy drinks now..
Progirltip: Don't take Midol with your coffee then drink a Monster.

#16 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:22 PM

I'm usually on codex when I have other stuff to do; such as while I'm studying or at spares in class. And I'm not going to nap at school, no effing way.

also donald:

5.2 - Neocodex do not tolerate any type of discrimination. This includes, but is not limited to, any form of racism, sexism, and/or stereotyping of any group.

I'm not going to officially warn you since I know you're Asian too and I'm not easily offended at all, but read the rules since you got reported for your last post

#17 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:30 PM

if I have too much caffeine, such as 3 coffees before an exam, I dont' get overtired. but I also become so shaky and I can't focus. Like I just stare at nothing and can't look away. Which is bad when I'm in the middle of a conversation. Or driving.

This. The first time I had espresso, I couldn't think straight or focus for the next several hours.

Which were spent doing a college tour. Oops. :(

#18 Donaldmax

Donaldmax
  • 473 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:32 PM

lol
I remember one time before taking the SAT, i drank an energy drink. Not the best choice LOL
Couldn't focus and after the SAT was finished, the drink started to kick in.

#19 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:34 PM

I enjoy fine cups of gourmet coffee from my Keurig at various points throughout the day.

Just had my first cup of coffee and am ready to start working.

#20 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:18 AM

I used to drink coffee.. I was under the assumption that coffee would give me super anti-sleep properties like the rest of the people I knew who were chugging it. Except, it made no difference sleep-wise, and always ended up making my tummy feel like it was going through World War II. I stopped drinking coffee years ago. Now, I just sleep, or wing it without sleep. Every morning I NEED to have a cup of tea, or else I'm a very unhappy camper.

Edited by Ladida, 18 September 2011 - 06:52 AM.

#21 Juturna

Juturna
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:19 AM

Caffeine in various coffee's/pops does nothing to me. Then again, I make a point of not drinking too much pop or anything else. (I won't deny I love coffee and mountain dew though) I also have had insomnia as long as I can remember, so that does the effect of caffeine a lot for me.

Tbh. the abuse use of caffeine in this thread is sorta sickening to me. I can't imagine having to stay up for however long. If you get the point where you need to take caffeine to stay awake, you're obviously not getting enough sleep, and obviously have too much to do - neither of which is healthy. Also, energy drinks/pop are extremely un-healthy and I have never understood why people can drink so much of it.

I'm on the little boat that says A: School should start waaaaay later. (Cause really, if you're getting enough sleep, you'll wake up on your own, and don't need an alarm clock) and B: Either less homework period, or more time to do it. Sleep is extremely vital, and today's society seems to not really... take it into consideration, something I despise. But what can you do? /sigh

That's my little opinion on caffeine. *whistles and holds up shield* Go ahead. Flame me.

#22 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:18 AM

Get more sleep into your schedule and you don't need caffeine to focus/stay awake.
An alternative would be meditation. Ten minutes of legit meditation is equivalent to like an hour of sleep. Hard to learn, but worth it.

Try working shifts.

#23 wtfints

wtfints
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:27 AM

i don't like coffee but i like coke. coke got caffeine in it !!

#24 RubberBand

RubberBand
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:43 AM

I can't function without caffeine. I'm absolutely rancid in the morning, and until I've had coffee I just snarl and can't remember my name. My husband makes me an espresso and leaves it on my desk in the morning before waking me and hurrying from the room. Then I usually get a cappuccino from the local cafe and sip that while starting work.

Then I usually have a couple of pots of earl grey during the day, and maybe another cappuccino in the afternoon. I even all that out with a nice glass of wine over dinner and it's all good.

Tbh. the abuse use of caffeine in this thread is sorta sickening to me. I can't imagine having to stay up for however long. If you get the point where you need to take caffeine to stay awake, you're obviously not getting enough sleep, and obviously have too much to do - neither of which is healthy.

I'm a busy person. I don't have time for sleep. I have young children and run my own business and have to manage employees in 3 time zones.

I'll sleep when I retire at 40 :p

#25 Juturna

Juturna
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:30 AM

edit: delete this. nvm.

Edited by Juturna, 18 September 2011 - 04:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users