Grab Your Boomstick: The Zombie Apocalypse May Actually Be Upon Us

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#26 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:42 AM

Well, if you're going to give the zombies a place to exercise, you should at least power the TVs so they're entertained.

I guess to zombies films like Night of the Living Dead would be their equivalent of reality TV while our reality TV shows like Big Brother would be their equivalent of nature documentaries. :/

#27 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:59 AM

One in the mountains O_o

You know they only just figured out how to make paralyzed rats walk again, right?
That's nowhere near being able to reanimate a corpse yet. Something like that is a long ways off.

At what point did I ever say that we were reanimating corpses? All I said is "This is not a zombie outbreak"

So you agree that it is true today. Excellent.
Glad to know you're not certifiable just yet.

Of course I agree that its not true today. My entire fucking post was saying "This is not a zombie outbreak. Zombies do not exist yet"

Something is wrong with your reading comprehension today :|

#28 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:05 AM

Zombies do not exist yet"

That depends on the definition you want to use for 'zombies'. :p There are and have been both humans and other animals which could be described as having been zombified whether that's from something like voodoo or in nature such as toxoplasmosis which has been shown to affect humans. ;)

#29 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:09 AM

Of course I agree that its not true today. My entire fucking post was saying "This is not a zombie outbreak. Zombies do not exist yet"

No, your post quite clearly said "This is not a zombie outbreak, zombie outbreaks look like this, this, this and this".
Which is a ridculous thing to try and quantify since, by your own admission, they don't exist.

#30 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:31 AM

No, your post quite clearly said "This is not a zombie outbreak, zombie outbreaks look like this, this, this and this".
Which is a ridculous thing to try and quantify since, by your own admission, they don't exist.

I cannot fathom how you fail to understand the difference between a theory of an event, and the actual event. Based upon your strong beliefs in theories as being completely true, I would assume that you would understand that a Zombie outbreak is a theory, and it can be quantified perfectly. Whatever is going on here is not an Zombie outbreak, beacuse it does not meet the requirements to be defined as such. A Zombie outbreak has been defined already, that much is clear. It has not happened yet, that much is also clear. My post outlines the requirements to be a zomebie outbreak and determines that these events do not match those requirements.

Your post said "outbreaks look like this, and this."
So I simply said why an outbreak isn't feasible, to which you now reply "Zombies don't exist". Doesn't that nullify your 'outbreak ' rant?

The zombie apocalypse IS A THEORY. A term used to define a certain set of events. These events have not happened, and are not likely to happen in any recent times. A Zombie outbreak is still clearly defined as to what makes it a zombie outbreak, and not something else. There are distinct differences between a normal virus that kills people and a zombie virus. The actual zombies do not exist whatsoever at all, but the theory does exist, and remains very real.

Edited by iargue, 07 June 2012 - 08:31 AM.

#31 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

I cannot fathom how you fail to understand the difference between a theory of an event, and the actual event. Based upon your strong beliefs in theories as being completely true, I would assume that you would understand that a Zombie outbreak is a theory, and it can be quantified perfectly. Whatever is going on here is not an Zombie outbreak, beacuse it does not meet the requirements to be defined as such. A Zombie outbreak has been defined already, that much is clear. It has not happened yet, that much is also clear. My post outlines the requirements to be a zomebie outbreak and determines that these events do not match those requirements.

No, it's a fiction. A fiction of innumerable permutations.
Your post outlines some of the possible requirements for some of the possible events that could possibly be construed as a possible zombie outbreak.

Your pretence at authority on a fictional phenomenon is farcical.

#32 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:34 AM

The zombie apocalypse IS A THEORY. A term used to define a certain set of events. These events have not happened, and are not likely to happen in any recent times. A Zombie outbreak is still clearly defined as to what makes it a zombie outbreak, and not something else. There are distinct differences between a normal virus that kills people and a zombie virus. The actual zombies do not exist whatsoever at all, but the theory does exist, and remains very real.

Requirements set forth by the entertainment industry. Why does everyone give them so much merit? Like they're really Zombie experts... psh

#33 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:38 AM

Well I guess if there actually is some sort of zombie outbreak, we can all just go to Madagascar or Greenland~ :D

Posted Image

#34 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:39 AM

Fucking Madagascar -_-

#35 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

That depends on the definition you want to use for 'zombies'. :p There are and have been both humans and other animals which could be described as having been zombified whether that's from something like voodoo or in nature such as toxoplasmosis which has been shown to affect humans. ;)

The definition that I posted is the definition for the two types of zombies that exist.

There have been no instances of humans seeking to eat other humans and spreading that desire when they bit them. When that condition is met, it will be determined to be a zombie outbreak.

No, it's a fiction. A fiction of innumerable permutations.
Your post outlines some of the possible requirements for some of the possible events that could possibly be construed as a possible zombie outbreak.

Your pretence at authority on a fictional phenomenon is farcical.

By your definition, String theory is fiction as well. GG.

#36 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

Don't even pretend that you understand what string theory is.

#37 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

The definition that I posted is the definition for the two types of zombies that exist.

There have been no instances of humans seeking to eat other humans and spreading that desire when they bit them. When that condition is met, it will be determined to be a zombie outbreak.

Who has determined these two types of zombie outbreaks? The CDC? The NIH?

#38 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

Nope. You haven't covered vector for contamination, incubation periods, supernatural effects, and a myriad of other things. You're not an expert.
So stop.

And if all a zombie outbreak requires is "humans seeking to eat other humans and spreading that desire when they bit them", then why did you post your five hundred word dissertation earlier?

#39 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

Umm.. paradox?

Aw, I missed that.
:rofl:

#40 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

Requirements set forth by the entertainment industry. Why does everyone give them so much merit? Like they're really Zombie experts... psh

Does it matter were it came from? Are only people with PHD's allowed to name things? To define things in a term? Every single zombie telling (Which includes books, games, and movies) has the same basic characteristics. Everything about a zombie apocalypse theory has the basis as thousands of scientific theories. Why does this receive no credit at all? Because it was first thought up by someone who used it to entertain, rather then warn?

Well I guess if there actually is some sort of zombie outbreak, we can all just go to Madagascar or Greenland~ :D

Nope. Ports are closed. Can't get there. Sorry :(

#41 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

Does it matter were it came from? Are only people with PHD's allowed to name things? To define things in a term? Every single zombie telling (Which includes books, games, and movies) has the same basic characteristics. Everything about a zombie apocalypse theory has the basis as thousands of scientific theories. Why does this receive no credit at all? Because it was first thought up by someone who used it to entertain, rather then warn?

Every single one? I'm going to call massive smelly bullshit on that.

#42 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

Umm.. paradox?

I weep for humanity.

The higs boson particle does not exist. and yet we have named and defined it 100%,

#43 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

Nope. Ports are closed. Can't get there. Sorry :(

I think it's so great that you continue to defend your irony and everyone takes you so seriously. I love that about you, though I don't understand it.

#44 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

Don't even pretend that you understand what string theory is.

I do understand what string theory is. I also know that their are multiple different theories that all have different ideas about it, and that we are all waiting on proof.

Same thing as the zombie apocalypse. Differing Opinions, and just waiting on proof.

#45 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

I do understand what string theory is. I also know that their are multiple different theories that all have different ideas about it, and that we are all waiting on proof.

Explain them.

#46 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:59 AM

I don't believe the original definition of zombie involved any eating of humans at all. O_o That definition has only come around since Romero's Night of the Living Dead.

#47 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:01 AM

I don't believe the original definition of zombie involved any eating of humans at all. O_o That definition has only come around since Romero's Night of the Living Dead.

That would be cannibalism. You can't define something as something that already exists. That would be preposterous. Being a zombie is different then being a cannibal because you spread the effects to others.

#48 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

That would be cannibalism. You can't define something as something that already exists. That would be preposterous. Being a zombie is different then being a cannibal because you spread the effects to others.

That's not even close to responding to the meaning of LW's post. Not even close.

#49 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:04 AM

I mean, the original definition of zombie didn't involve the spread of the 'disease' by biting or scratching etc at all.

#50 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

Nope. You haven't covered vector for contamination, incubation periods, supernatural effects, and a myriad of other things. You're not an expert.
So stop.

And if all a zombie outbreak requires is "humans seeking to eat other humans and spreading that desire when they bit them", then why did you post your five hundred word dissertation earlier?

Contamination occurs through direct contact with blood or saliva. The usually method of contamination comes from a bite, though spitting of blood is also a known method of transmission.

The incubation period relies heavily upon the degree of the infection and the strength of the targets immune system. The period can be a shot as a minute, or as long as 24 hours.

The Supernatural effects depends entirely upon the strain of the virus. This can result in reduced speed or increased speed, as well as an increased ability to smell living flesh. All infected have the ability to determine other infected individuals and do not attack each other.

I mean, the original definition of zombie didn't involve the spread of the 'disease' by biting or scratching etc at all.

Then it was not a definition of a zombie, because it still comes down to separating it from an already existing term.

Cannibals are people that eat people.
Zombie eat flesh and spread the disease.

You cannot accept a definition of zombies that already coincides with the definition of something else.

Edited by iargue, 07 June 2012 - 09:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users