Shooting in Aurora, Colorado

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#26 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:31 AM

This is why I could never be a police officer though. If I had been the person there that arrested him. I would have just shot him, repeatedly.

12 people are dead and will never come back. 12 families completely ruined. Hundreds more will have night terrors and anxiety for years regarding this. Most of them will never return to a movie theater.

#27 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:35 AM

The ignorance that British have in their opinions that they are safer because weapons are outlawed in the UK, yet when the riots happened nobody could protect themselves and ended up beaten, raped, etc. So how are you supposed to protect yourself when a thug/group of thugs on a rampage break into your home to beat/rape you? Over there, you're supposed to wait on a police force who were already stretched to their limits elsewhere at that particular time. Where I lived, during those riots, houses were smashed up, businesses broken into and stuff stolen, families who lost everything. My family sat with the lights out, curtains closed, my dad armed with a crowbar and my two little brothers had bats, just in case those thugs decided our home was next.

If guns were legal you'd have had the rioters walking around with guns too, it wouldn't stop the rioting it would just increase the bloodshed. The UK has very few events of mass-killing of this kind compared with America largely because guns are controlled so much, I can only really think of 3 major events in the last 25 years.

#28 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:43 AM

London has the biggest crime rate, the most gang activity, what makes you think that the people involved in the riots didn't have access to guns? They may have reasoned that it was easier to make money off what they stole from businesses than to kill someone.

Some of them probably did have guns, my point was that they were very much a minority because guns aren't readily available. If you add more guns into the equation the outcome would have been much worse than it was.

#29 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:04 AM

We need our guns... to protect us... from other people... who have guns.

#30 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:06 AM

A gun doesn't protect you from other guns.

#31 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

I agree.
That's why I always have my brother by my side. He's perfect for ducking behind.

#32 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

And we all know that guns don't kill people, rappers do.

#33 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

And we all know that guns don't kill people, rappers do.

Which is why I always wear my handy rapper-proof vest.

#34 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

Which is why I always wear my handy rapper-proof vest.

But you have such a shootable chest. Don't hide it!

#35 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:21 AM

The biggest problem really isn't guns, it's mental health and how it's treated in this country. We don't provide easy access to mental health services for anyone in this country. It's only there if you have the money, if you don't have money then you're left to pull yourself up by your bootstraps and deal with it, or kill yourself, or kill somebody else. They can barely even get it to our vets and they need it the most. Mental disorders are stigmatized, addiction is looked at as a moral issue instead of a health issue and no one wants to help these people because of DER TAX DOLLARZ. Shit like this is going to keep happening because so many people are going without help.

#36 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

If guns are available to the general public, every once in a while some nut rounds up a few unarmed people and murders them.
If, on the other hand, guns are not available to the general public, some nut rounds up a few million unarmed people and murders them just as easily...

So no, there is no need to ban guns.

I've seen both sides of the coin when it comes to guns.
The ignorance that British have in their opinions that they are safer because weapons are outlawed in the UK, yet when the riots happened nobody could protect themselves and ended up beaten, raped, etc. So how are you supposed to protect yourself when a thug/group of thugs on a rampage break into your home to beat/rape you? Over there, you're supposed to wait on a police force who were already stretched to their limits elsewhere at that particular time. Where I lived, during those riots, houses were smashed up, businesses broken into and stuff stolen, families who lost everything. My family sat with the lights out, curtains closed, my dad armed with a crowbar and my two little brothers had bats, just in case those thugs decided our home was next.
In America I've seen smart, intelligent people given their right to protect their home any way that they see fit, to protect their family and themselves. They handle a gun efficiently, they believe that it is better to know how to use a gun and carry it, than to one day need it and not have one. For the majority, people are safer here because they can protect themselves. You take away that right, they become sitting ducks like the UK.
I'm sorry if you have been deluded into believing that outlawing weapons will make the world a better place, it won't because their is always someone who can and will get hold of a weapon and round up a few people to kill them.

I don't live in the UK. I live in Singapore, a relatively small country where guns are outlawed. We haven't had riots in decades. We haven't even had a shootout in history, I believe. I'm just saying; if people wanted to cause violence, they will. They could use any other things at hand. Availabilty of guns just exacberate the problem.

But like I said, the US/UK are a lot bigger than the island I live on. It's easier to get a black market going there than here.

#37 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

I was thinking that as well, Mishelle, but there are tons of creepy people with dark desires who never act out on them. Everyone and anyone is a little crazy to varying degrees. There is no telling who will fly off the handle, even with the proper therapy, medication, and treatment. Letting crazy people (i.e. EVERYONE AND ANYONE) have access to such destructive weapons is irresponsible.

It's true the guy could have made bombs himself, or gone on a spree of stabbing people with an ice pick, but no matter how you try to spin it, people were murdered like dogs because guns make killing people very easy.

#38 Habanero

Habanero
  • 275 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

I think that one of the problems is not that guns themselves are available for purchase, but that it's so easy to get a gun that it doesn't really protect us in case some psychopath gets a hold of such weapons such as punk mentioned above me.

#39 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

There was a moderator on a forum I frequent who claims he was there when it happened (the ticket he provided correlates with the theatre location and time).

He gave us his own account of events which was quite some crazy shit.

#40 Habanero

Habanero
  • 275 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

There was a moderator on a forum I frequent who claims he was there when it happened (the ticket he provided correlates with the theatre location and time).

He gave us his own account of events which was quite some crazy shit.

Mind telling us? (If it was in post form)

#41 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Mind telling us? (If it was in post form)

Apparently all we need to know is that it was crazy shit.

#42 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

The email I have just received is so god damn absurd that this must be shared, so it's story time. Every word of this is the most absolute truth.

I live in Aurora, Colorado. Being a GameFAQs moderator who is bound to see a ton of TDKR spoilers, I decided to see it as quickly as possible to avoid having it spoiled for me. Thus, I went to the midnight showing at the Century 16 that's two blocks from my apartment.

http://i188.photobuc...ptorlc/Nine.jpg

You may have heard about what happened here.

Long story short, I somehow got out without a scratch. I've got a skinned knee from hitting the floor, and eventually low crawling the hell out of there when the shooting stopped. The guy two seats to the right of me was shot in the head, and probably died instantly.

I gave my written and spoken statements to the police and got to go home at about 3AM after a hell of a lot of confusion. I've been watching the news ever since.

About an hour ago, I got an email received notification, and just looked at it in shock when I saw the title. It was an automated email message.

Title: How did you like The Dark Knight Rises?

Fandango sent automated messages asking people how they liked the movie they were watching when some psychopath shot the place up. I wish I was making any of this up, but this is the deity of your choice's honest truth here. Boggles the f***ing mind.

I need a vacation.

edit: Would help if I could either paste the title directly or could remember the damn title of the movie. It was indeed The Dark Knight Rises.

Pretty much everything has already been covered by the news. The guy came from the back exit (which is in the front of the theater, on the right side), not from behind the screen. I saw a canister fly and initially thought it was a stink bomb or something. Who expects something like this to happened.

Then I heard a loud bang, then he started shooting. I dove to the floor, and looked up, seeing the dude who was sitting next to me (seat between us was empty) slumped in the chair, head back, face covered in blood, and completely motionless. I laid as flat as I could and didn't move for several minutes. After a long period between gunshots, I crawled to my left, and darted past the stairs (I was on the floor) and into the exit corridor, keeping as low as possible, then ran like hell. I didn't really see anything more than muzzle flashes and a shadow behind it, but I was quite understandably not looking too hard.

The site of that dude slumped lifelessly in his chair is probably going to haunt me for the rest of my life.

I myself am mostly all right I think, but then I haven't tried to sleep yet.

I shot an M-16 about four times in the 12 years I was in the Air Force. I've shot a pistol once in my life, and that was at a camping trip with some friends last year, long after I left the military. Hindsight being what it is, a handgun would not have done a damn thing to this dude.

If anyone has a GameFAQs account and wants to sift through the original topic: http://www.gamefaqs....events/63467294

Edited by Pilot, 21 July 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#43 Futurama

Futurama
  • The Teacher.

• 3772 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

Should ask him if he noticed anyone walking out the back door with a phone call before the shooter showed up.

#44 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

I was thinking that as well, Mishelle, but there are tons of creepy people with dark desires who never act out on them. Everyone and anyone is a little crazy to varying degrees. There is no telling who will fly off the handle, even with the proper therapy, medication, and treatment. Letting crazy people (i.e. EVERYONE AND ANYONE) have access to such destructive weapons is irresponsible.

It's true the guy could have made bombs himself, or gone on a spree of stabbing people with an ice pick, but no matter how you try to spin it, people were murdered like dogs because guns make killing people very easy.

I agree with you, I don't like guns at all. Hunting guns are fine but I don't think any person should have access to a cartridge fed semiautomatic weapon. What's the use of it, if not to brutally shoot people? I also think it's insane he brought 6000 rounds of ammo and a red flag didn't get set off or anything. Or that he was buying all these weapons in the last 2 months. It's way too easy to get dangerous weapons in this country. And these scenarios happen all the time and never (well not any that I've seen) has a gun carrying NRA member popped out and saved the day.

#45 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

So much discussion on this topic :o. To start off with,

Banning guns would not have prevented this, better control of guns might have.

To start off with, banning something does not stop its usage. In some cases it actually increases its usage (see prohibition). Banning the export of an item reduces its availibility only slightly, but increases the ease at which people who you don't want to have it, capable of getting it. This is because the Black Market relies on customers to determine the amount of supply that they get. If they have 100 people looking for guns, they will have less supply then if they had 1,000 people looking for guns. The more people who need access to illegal items, the larger the black market for the item is. If you simply regular an item more carefully, you can provide the majority of people with the item, and keep the black market relatively lower then if you had banned the items in question.

The issue at hand is Colorado state itself, for failing to provide gun control as it should have (And the rest of the nation as well). Colorado already suffered a huge shooting in previous years, which was widely publicized. Their lax gun control allow for the same even to happen again, and may allow for it to happen again. While the entire facts of the shooting is unknown, it is clearly obvious that he purchased multiple weapons, ammo, and body armour. If he acquired these all within the last year, a large red flag should have gone up, and he should have been investigated or tailed. The majority of gun shootings and violence can be reduced by simply having a global database of gun purchases, and flagging people once they purchase a certain amount of x. Someone who needs 6,000 bullets is obviously looking to do something special, and if they are not, you will learn that through tailing them or investigating. This allows you to significantly reduce the chance of someone doing this again, while also allowing people who want guns for reasons of not killing people to own weapons as well.

As far as people suggesting that they need guns to defend themselves in events like this, I can assure you that guns would not have helped. Even if everyone in the entire theater had weapons, the death toll would still be significantly high, for multiple reasons.

A)The person used a smoke bomb, distorting their view of him
B)The person was wearing body armour, allowing him to survive for longer
C)The person was not aiming for a certain target. He simply went in and sprayed and that was it, his goal was to kill as many people without caring who he killed. This means that even if someone had a gun and shot him, he would have already shot many people.
D)You are watching a movie (A freaking epic movie) and so your not expecting someone to start shooting you. This reduces your reaction time significantly, allowing him to shoot more people.
E)Having a weapon does not guarantee that you will be able to hit your target. A spray and pray method with a machine gun works well for what he is trying to accomplish, but for your goals would only increase the amount of collateral damage.

What worries me most of all about this entire scenario is that we live in a time were our government spies on us at an unprecedented level. With over 100,000 request for data from google, and even more requests for cell phone data, the government is watching more then they have ever watched in the past, and yet they have done nothing at all to stop this event. It makes me wonder what the hell they are doing with all of this spying.

#46 Habanero

Habanero
  • 275 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

What worries me most of all about this entire scenario is that we live in a time were our government spies on us at an unprecedented level. With over 100,000 request for data from google, and even more requests for cell phone data, the government is watching more then they have ever watched in the past, and yet they have done nothing at all to stop this event. It makes me wonder what the hell they are doing with all of this spying.

Lobbying affects the implementation of stricter regulations on guns.

#47 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

Should ask him if he noticed anyone walking out the back door with a phone call before the shooter showed up.

He had purchased a ticket to watch the movie.

It is entirely possible that he walked out the back door, placed something to prevent it from closing, gone to his car to arm himself then re-entered the theater.

P.S: Outlawing guns won't really solve any problems. If there is a demand for something the government has banned, the black market will more then gladly provide a means to quell that demand. Ex: Prohibition, illegal drugs etc....

Edited by Ivysaur, 21 July 2012 - 02:07 PM.

#48 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

He had purchased a ticket to watch the movie.

It is entirely possible that he walked out the back door, placed something to prevent it from closing, gone to his car to arm himself then re-entered the theater.

P.S: Outlawing guns won't really solve any problems. If there is a demand for something the government has banned, the black market will more then gladly provide a means to quell that demand. Ex: Prohibition, illegal drugs etc....

Yeah, that's also what CNN reported: http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_t1

The movie was in its first minutes and most of the moviegoers didn't appear to notice the exit door open and then only partially close.

#49 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

Lobbying affects the implementation of stricter regulations on guns.

Why did you quote that part of my post then?

And Lobbying is part of whats wrong with this country, it ties into the fact that this shit happens.

#50 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

Did any of you read this? http://news.yahoo.co...topstories.html

Jamie Rohrs, 25, said that before the movie started, he and his fiancee, Patricia Legarreta, also 25, had opted for seats in the second-floor balcony. Rohrs held their 4-month-old son, Ethan, while Legarreta sat next to her 4-year-old daughter, Azeria, who was asleep with her head in her mother's lap.

How are children that young even allowed into a movie like TDKR? Why is no one talking about this? Snow White traumatized me when I was a kid, I can't even imagine what I'd have thought if I heard scary shit in a movie like TDKR. News reports keep saying mothers and their children attended the screening, and then later on you see that the ages are well below 13. Since when was it normal to take a kid into a movie like this? And don't these idiots even think what the volume of the sound in the movie can do to a 4-month old baby's ears?

But anyway, the kicker is that the fiance put his baby down, then abandoned his baby son, wounded fiancee and fiancee's daughter and hightailed it out of there to save his own ass. Wow.

Other online sources say he didn't just get out of the theatre, he hopped into his car and drove away.

Interview of him explaining himself on CNN: http://kollegekidd.c...heatre-shooting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users