• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#1 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

Okay, so I wanted to talk about this because it's pretty weird. I mean, planes have gone missing before, but some of the details about this just don't seem right.

Details: 

The Boeing 777-200 took off from Kuala Lumpur, the Malaysian capital, at 12:41 a.m. Saturday (Friday afternoon ET). It was scheduled to arrive in Beijing at 6:30 a.m. the same day, after a 2,300-mile (3,700-kilometer) journey. But around 1:30 a.m., air traffic controllers in Subang, outside Kuala Lumpur, lost contact with the plane as it was flying over the sea between Malaysia and Vietnam.

The plane is a Boeing 777-200 with 239 people on board. 227 passengers and 12 crew members.

Here, I'll copy the highlights from this CNN story:

- The Plane lost contact with air traffic control early Saturday.

- A large, multinational search is under way at sea.

- At least two people boarded the plane using stolen passports.

- The plane may have tries to change course, officials say.

The pilots did not indicate any problem to the tower, and no distress signal was issued. Malaysian military officials cite radar data as suggesting the plane might have changed course and turned back toward Kuala Lumpur before it vanished. But the pilots didn't tell air traffic control that they were doing so. And at this point, we don't know why the plane would have turned around.

The passenger jet was in what is considered the safest part of a flight, the cruise portion, when it disappeared. The weather conditions were reported to be good. Aviation experts say it's particularly puzzling that the pilots didn't report any kind of problems before contact was lost.

I mean, this could all just be a coincidence. Who knows? I just think what little we do know is pretty odd. 

Thoughts?

#2 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

I've been following this since it happened.. and I'm constantly checking CNN for updates because this is soo bizzare! I've been waiting to see if anyone would bring it up, or even knew about it.

I'm baffled at how it just disappeared into thin air with no warning and no evidence.. and how it completely disappeared off radar.

#3 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

ALIENS! APOCALYPSE! TERRORISM! GLOBAL WARMING! 

I've been on enough planes to at least know that if a plane is damaged to a certain point (regardless if the plane remains functional or not), an automatic signal is sent to control towers as an automatic distress signal of some sort. So if the plane crashed, or a wing is torn off by a kraken, people would know. Of course, technology is not 100% 

yeah, I'm baffled too as to how a plane suddenly disappeared. The only thing I can thing of is some strange electromagnetic phenomena causing conventional radar to go berserk. Or aliens.

#4 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

I heard it "disintegrated" from a friend. Don't know how reliable that source is though...

Obviously not reliable at all if that's not the official word and the investigation is ongoing... lol

yeah, I'm baffled too as to how a plane suddenly disappeared. The only thing I can thing of is some strange electromagnetic phenomena causing conventional radar to go berserk. Or aliens.

LOST
OMG
THEY ARE ON THE ISLAND

#5 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

Obviously not reliable at all if that's not the official word and the investigation is ongoing... lol

LOST
OMG
THEY ARE ON THE ISLAND

I was talking to a friend last night and our theory was that it's real life Lost >.> 

#6 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

Another Bermuda Triangle? (but not in Bermuda) They must be multiplying.

Though they did say it might have been trying to change course, and 2 people boarded with stolen passports, so maybe hijacking gone wrong? (instead of actually being completed it just died).

Edited by Satsuki, 10 March 2014 - 01:54 PM.

#7 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

Though they did say it might have been trying to cange course, and 2 people boarded with stolen passports, so maybe hijacking gone wrong? (instead of actually being completed it just died).

Or the intent could have been to kill the passengers, without a target destination.
No different than car bombings where they simply target a large group of people. 

I hope this is solved soon :/

#8 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

LOST
OMG
THEY ARE ON THE ISLAND

So that means...

Spoiler

Though they did say it might have been trying to change course, and 2 people boarded with stolen passports, so maybe hijacking gone wrong? (instead of actually being completed it just died).

You'd think that if it was hi-jacked it would have been blown up/crashed somewhere populated as we know terrorists like to make a statement.

#9 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

So that means...

Spoiler

Or are they?! It could play out differently for this group than it did on the show right? 

#10 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

Or are they?! It could play out differently for this group than it did on the show right? 

touche!

all jokes aside, I really want to know what happened :/ hope they find out soon.

#11 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

Spoiler Alert: There were snakes on the plane.

---------------------------------

I'm trying to think the relevance of a terrorist targeting the plane (if they exist). It just strikes me odd that there are artists and semiconductor company members in the plane from all over the world would be a target of terrorism. Artists not so much, but semiconductors are crucial for a certain class of weapons.

#12 jinq

jinq
  • 1554 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:45 PM

perhaps it ventured too close to an american warship

Edited by jinq, 10 March 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#13 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

perhaps it ventured too close to an american warship

You make it sound like us Americans are violent and trigger happy with guns (though I don't deny it).

#14 Tubbz

Tubbz
  • The High Fairy of Priestessvil.

• 996 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:39 PM

My favourite theory so far (and IMO most plausible) is that there was a massive electrical failure on the plane. 

That's one of the few ways to explain the complete lack of communication with the plane. 

There's a friend of a friend on the plane. Kind of desperate to make contact just to find out vaguely what's happened. 

#15 Peaches

Peaches
  • 497 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

You make it sound like us Americans are violent and trigger happy with guns (though I don't deny it).

"Accidental" shoot-down by military does occur. Not sure how accidental they are though.

I was surprised that no-one created a post about this until now...I suppose we are all scratching our heads on this one.

My immediate assumption was a terrorism threat. I'm not sure how well people are aware of the situation in certain Asian countries but Malaysia is known for home-grown terrorists. I'm not going to go into religion because sometimes that factor doesn't play a role. In any case I do not believe that people who can kill others without remorse or regret are people of God - they are usually just brainwashed, young people who have been given an incentive to blow stuff up.

Another comment I'd like to make is that the two men who boarded the plane with stolen passports may not necessarily be terrorists. Again in Asian countries it is well known that criminals enter the hotel rooms of foreigners and steal their items (a friend of mine almost had it happen in the middle of the night but he woke up and threw the person out). Passports are most profitable. If you go into an Asian country they can also make legit looking cards, passports etc for a fee and they can create them for virtually any country. So again, criminal activity and terrorism are two different categories. These two dudes could have bought these stolen passports for a way into Europe thinking they'd get away with it - not sure how as Interpol would've caught them.

For anyone who knows someone on that plane, such as Tubbz, please accept my condolences. The likelihood of survivors is probably low but we can still have a glimmer of hope.

#16 jinq

jinq
  • 1554 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:36 PM

Check Iran Air Flight 655, it happened in Iranian airspace as well.

#17 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:09 PM

Check Iran Air Flight 655, it happened in Iranian airspace as well.

Haha, I wasn't disagreeing with you or what Peaches said. It was a joke, but sorry my valley girl sassiness didn't go through well with only text.

#18 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

All conspiracy theories aside, there are legitimate reasons that radar might show them turning around that don't involve terrorism.

I think it'll turn out to be an accidental explosion resulting from massive system failure including engine fire, electrical radio outage, and/or fuel loss of 50% or more. If there was something wrong with a fuel line or one of the engines such an explosion wouldn't be impossible.

But the fact that there's no debris of any kind seems to be giving rise to these conspiracy ideas regarding the various military forces, as well as the terrorism bit.

#19 Elle

Elle
  • ShadowLink64's Rebel

• 894 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:30 PM

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1716387

This highly reputable source say's that an Iranian man named 'Mr Ali' had something to do with the stolen passports, so we can all definitely assume from here that it was a terrorist act.

Edited by Elle, 10 March 2014 - 10:41 PM.

#20 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:40 PM

Just saw this tweet from The Associated Press: "BREAKING: Malaysian Police: 1 passenger using stolen passport on missing jet was Iranian asylum seeker."

More: http://www.bigstory....s-asylum-seeker

#21 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:08 AM

My favourite theory so far (and IMO most plausible) is that there was a massive electrical failure on the plane. 

That's one of the few ways to explain the complete lack of communication with the plane. 

There's a friend of a friend on the plane. Kind of desperate to make contact just to find out vaguely what's happened. 

That's pretty much impossible because planes have ram air turbines to provide emergency power to things like communications and emergency beacons even if the rest of the power system fails catastrophically. ;) Also, even if the electrical system did fail the plane would have been able to glide for quite a long time giving them plenty of opportunity to communicate with somebody and they should still show up on radar during that time so it doesn't really explain how they haven't found even a sign of them since.

#22 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:09 AM

That's pretty much impossible because planes have ram air turbines to provide emergency power to things like communications and emergency beacons even if the rest of the power system fails catastrophically. ;) Also, even if the electrical system did fail the plane would have been able to glide for quite a long time giving them plenty of opportunity to communicate with somebody and they should still show up on radar during that time so it doesn't really explain how they haven't found even a sign of them since.

Why do you have all this useless knowledge!!!?

#23 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:11 AM

Why do you have all this useless knowledge!!!?

All knowledge has a use even if we don't have the knowledge to know when that knowledge is of use to know.

#24 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:17 AM

All knowledge has a use even if we don't have the knowledge to know when that knowledge is of use to know.

lololol I will just let myself out.

bye.

:mellow:

#25 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:39 AM

Ohh I got it now! Waser is an avionics engineer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users