Quantcast

Photo

The Death Penalty for Rape?

capital punishment rapists rape

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

Poll: Should rapists be considered for Capital Punishment? (87 member(s) have cast votes)

Should rapists be considered for Capital Punishment?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#176 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

Some people steal with a gun, some people steal with a lie. Aiyee, its still stealing

Basically, the guy stealing the gun is like "Can I have your gun? I promise not to hurt you with it!", and the girl, despite being able to think and act before trusting him with the gun, gives it to him blindly and just assumes he's trust worthy. Then he shoots her with it, and she can't be in dismay about it because it was her doing that gave the man the gun in the first place.

#177 Sage

Sage
  • 692 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

Some people steal with a gun, some people steal with a lie. Aiyee, its still stealing

Just so you are aware, placing women as a whole on a pedestal as inherently better than men is not a great solution to sexism. It is, in fact, another subset of it, wherein men believe they're functionally doing women a favor by separating them from themselves.

#178 bob123456

bob123456
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user!

• 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

I agree with Sage

#179 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:06 AM

Also, I'd like to point out. If I had left my car, unlocked, with my laptop on the dash, sitting in a dark alleyway and it gotten broken into, I would have questions asked. Why didn't you take more care? Why didn't you put more thought into securing your property? So forth.

I don't blame victims, but it's hard to have sympathy for people who put themselves into dangerous situations very recklessly.

The problem with rape culture is shit like this in the first place. Comparing the lives and wellbeing of women to property. A woman's body is not the same as a fucking laptop. Drunk women get raped, sober women get raped, able bodied women get raped, special needs women get raped the only common denominator is the fact that they're women. Telling women how not to get raped is obviously not working how about we start teaching men how not to rape. In sex ed no where do they cover rape, what to do if you're raped, consent, how to verify consent or anything like that. Mix it up with our rape culture and culture of victim blaming (protect your laptop hurrr duhh) and we get this bullshit that leave most rapists going unpunished.

Getting drunk doesn't give anyone the right to rape you, the fact of the matter is no means no.

#180 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

The problem with rape culture is shit like this in the first place. Comparing the lives and wellbeing of women to property. A woman's body is not the same as a fucking laptop. Drunk women get raped, sober women get raped, able bodied women get raped, special needs women get raped the only common denominator is the fact that they're women. Telling women how not to get raped is obviously not working how about we start teaching men how not to rape. In sex ed no where do they cover rape, what to do if you're raped, consent, how to verify consent or anything like that. Mix it up with our rape culture and culture of victim blaming (protect your laptop hurrr duhh) and we get this bullshit that leave most rapists going unpunished.

Getting drunk doesn't give anyone the right to rape you, the fact of the matter is no means no.

As many as 1 in 10 rape victims are men. And Frizzle isn't victim blaming, he specifically pointed out that out. Repeating your point with more words doesn't make it more valid.

#181 nightowl

nightowl
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

Posted Image
If it involves an adult in a heinous act towards a child that adult deserves death.

#182 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

As many as 1 in 10 rape victims are men. And Frizzle isn't victim blaming, he specifically pointed out that out. Repeating your point with more words doesn't make it more valid.

Yes 1 in 10 rape victims are men so how come the "if I leave my car unlocked and someone steals it" trope is always directed toward women?

Edited by Mishelle, 25 July 2012 - 09:25 AM.

#183 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

Men are raped too, even on occasion by women.

Also, most rapists go unpunished because people don't report the crime. Rape accusation is taken very seriously in most civilized countries, I wouldn't consider Canada/USA/Europe strong on 'rape culture'.

"how come the "if I leave my car unlocked and someone steals it" trope is always directed toward women?", I didn't see any mention of Women in his post.

#184 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

Men are raped too, even on occasion by women.

Also, most rapists go unpunished because people don't report the crime. Rape accusation is taken very seriously in most civilized countries, I wouldn't consider Canada/USA/Europe strong on 'rape culture'.

"how come the "if I leave my car unlocked and someone steals it" trope is always directed toward women?", I didn't see any mention of Women in his post.

Posted Image

http://www.rainn.org...reporting-rates

Edited by Mishelle, 25 July 2012 - 09:29 AM.

#185 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

Posted Image

That's interesting. I'm looking for articles that could back this up, since the references are in some cases almost a decade old and none of them are linked. Any ideas where to start?

Edit: Does it also take into consideration instances of false accusations? It's a innocent until proven guilty system, so all I can derive from this is most accusations of rape lack enough evidence to even lead to an initial arrest.

#186 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

Just so you are aware, placing women as a whole on a pedestal as inherently better than men is not a great solution to sexism. It is, in fact, another subset of it, wherein men believe they're functionally doing women a favor by separating them from themselves.

Generally, men place women on a pedestal so they can look up their skirt. My culture has many strong and defined robes for women and men, down to the fact I will not touch seed used to grow any of the seven sacred plants that men are not allowed to touch. I was taught, and I believe, that the power of Creation was given unto women, and unto women are given the glory. This is, a kind of sexism. This is the traditional belief that society is supposed to allow only women to own property, that a husband leaves a marriage with nothing but the clothes on his back and one good knife. It is also the lesson taught over and over again, that different does not mean inferior or superior, that a bow and knife are not the same, but both are the right weapon at the right time.

However, even ignoring 900 year old values, it does not take eyes to see that in general, men and women have different emotional responses to the same situation. Sex is not an equal activity.

Edited by coltom, 25 July 2012 - 09:50 AM.

#187 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

There's a reference page at the bottom on the RAINN link. Only one of the references are pre 2000s. If you go to any Slutwalk or Take Back The Night protest you will hear many many stories of the justice system failing them. Thanks to the statute of limitations on rape the justice system failed me.

In matrilineal native cultures it's not that women are seen as better than men they're just seen as the keepers of culture. Women are the keepers of culture and it's their jobs to carry on society, history, and law to the next generation. By protecting and respecting women you protect your entire legacy.

Edited by Mishelle, 25 July 2012 - 09:42 AM.

#188 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

Men are even less likely to report rape. Certainly saw that in the military. I wish I could say that was an unfounded response, but as hard as male/female rape was to prosecute, male/male just was nearly impossible. The back ass stupid part of it though, an attacker could not use the excuse that it was just seduction, because until President Obama fixed the system just having male/male sex was grounds for a general discharge,, ah, I mean like being forced out of the service. I've heard numbers as low as 5% were even reported, and most of them after a doctor did the reporting.

There was a celebrated case of female on male stripper rape, if I remember right three SO's got demoted for the cover-up, two JO's resigned, and nothing happened to the actually women gone really too damn wild. The cover-up was proven, the dastardly deed was not.

Doesn't that just get your craw though, when honourable men and women serve country now, not having to hide who they are, it also means that a certain percentage of slime minded bastards might actually be harder to catch.

Edited by coltom, 25 July 2012 - 09:48 AM.

#189 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

Edit: Does it also take into consideration instances of false accusations? It's a innocent until proven guilty system, so all I can derive from this is most accusations of rape lack enough evidence to even lead to an initial arrest.

I've read different reports that the rate of false reports range from 2% to 8% but it's hard to get a gage on which one is the most accurate. But either way those are small numbers in regards to something as commonplace as rape.

#190 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

Yes, there is a direct comparison in comparing one crime to another. They are crimes. You think on levels too individualistically and too emotionally. You need to separate yourself from past experiences and personal agendas and look at things statistically.

Crime prevention is a huge disservice and shouldn't be frowned upon and attacked so vigilantly purely because it makes you feel as you're being blamed. Accept that if you put yourself in a precarious station, unfortunate things can and will happen.

Do I blame burglary victims when I attend their address? No. Do I give them advice on how to prevent it, like locking doors, keeping lights on and being vigilant? Yes.

There is a huge difference between the two and unfortunately you're letting your uterus do your thinking.

By the by, I'm pretty sure rape is considered a naughty thing to do, and surprisingly, most societies discourage it. It happens because it's a part of life. Not by any means is it a positive thing in any shape or form, but it's like murder, peadophilla and Justin Beiber songs. You can outlaw it and try to prevent it as much as you want, but it will happen. The best thing to do is try and minimialise that risk and give people advice on how to avoid it.

Again, if you put yourself into dangerous situations, don't dare try and emotionally blackmail into sympathy. It won't work.

Posted Image

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18949533

"The CPS said there was 62.5% rate where a suspect had been charged with rape and was convicted of rape, a serious sexual assault or a crime of violence. The conviction rate for rape alone was 40%."

I counter your bullshit stats with a source of 72 hours ago compared to over a decade old study. It's also from a fairly unbiased source compared to your agenda-driven dribble.

You also forget to mention the fact that the majority of rape accusations are either malicious or reclassified as sexual assaults. But of course you wouldn't want to admit that, would you?

#191 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:06 AM

Do I blame burglary victims when I attend their address? No. Do I give them advice on how to prevent it, like locking doors, keeping lights on and being vigilant? Yes.

There is a huge difference between the two and unfortunately you're letting your uterus do your thinking.

I agree with Frizzle on this one. Let's pretend you are out somewhere and you leave your cellphone laying out (whether accidentally or on purpose) while you walk off somewhere else. You come back and find that your cellphone is gone. Would anyone say that the person whose cell got stolen is not at least partially to blame? No. You left it sitting out; if you trusted that everything would be fine, then you were wrong.

People need to take more responsibility to keep themselves safe and stop being so sensitive to "victim blaming". If you get shitfaced around other people you shouldn't trust that everyone else will take care of you and keep you safe. It would be wonderful if the world worked that way, but usually it doesn't. You can't trust people, even people that you know.

Why does this debate always center on women being the victims? I don't see any men pissing and whining about it. Women make this debate about women.

Also if I read the word "matrilineal" one more time I might just pop a capillary.

#192 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:50 AM

read the word "CENSORED" one more time I might just pop a capillary.

OK, promise.

It does not need to be an either or thing. People should be responsible for locking their own car AND when people open the door and steal their 1932 portable record player it should still be a crime. Both things can be true. It can be wrong to rape and women should try to avoid rape.
When I used to go out horse back riding with Martin, did I lead him on? I was a pretty handsome devil in those days, and by being nice wasn't I just setting myself up for bad things to happen.

I don't mean to say Martin laid a finger or anyother part of his anatomy on me, just that love unrequited sort of caused a problem a work.

#193 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:16 AM

Yes, there is a direct comparison in comparing one crime to another. They are crimes. You think on levels too individualistically and too emotionally. You need to separate yourself from past experiences and personal agendas and look at things statistically.

Crime prevention is a huge disservice and shouldn't be frowned upon and attacked so vigilantly purely because it makes you feel as you're being blamed. Accept that if you put yourself in a precarious station, unfortunate things can and will happen.

By the by, I'm pretty sure rape is considered a naughty thing to do, and surprisingly, most societies discourage it. It happens because it's a part of life. Not by any means is it a positive thing in any shape or form, but it's like murder, peadophilla and Justin Beiber songs. You can outlaw it and try to prevent it as much as you want, but it will happen. The best thing to do is try and minimialise that risk and give people advice on how to avoid it.

Again, if you put yourself into dangerous situations, don't dare try and emotionally blackmail into sympathy. It won't work.

"The CPS said there was 62.5% rate where a suspect had been charged with rape and was convicted of rape, a serious sexual assault or a crime of violence. The conviction rate for rape alone was 40%."

I counter your bullshit stats with a source of 72 hours ago compared to over a decade old study. It's also from a fairly unbiased source compared to your agenda-driven dribble.

You also forget to mention the fact that the majority of rape accusations are either malicious or reclassified as sexual assaults. But of course you wouldn't want to admit that, would you?

xmfd cranked

#194 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:30 AM

Similar to getting crunk. It is to commense drinking, smoking, sniffing, etc. Anything that causes some type of "high" can be considered as to cause cranking.

Kids and their slang aye?

#195 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

I don't understand how every conversation about rape always has to be diluted into "well she should've done this" (because lets be real, no one ever says that to men) or going back and forth about the unnecessary and abysmal number of false accusations. This happens every single time when I discuss rape and rape culture with people uneducated on the subject. It's starting to get ridiculous because people always end up losing sight of the real problem here. That there's millions of rape and sexual assault victims who aren't being helped and no one gives a shit to ask "what should we do about this?" "what can I do to help" because they're too busy arguing over bs statistics. Behind each statistic is a human being and everyone seems to lose sight of that.

The problem with this analogy is that people assume rape is a crime of opportunity. It is not. If someone sees a cellphone lying around they will take it because they have the opportunity to take it. But rape is a crime of violence and control. Most rape victims are raped by someone they know, an acquaintance or a family member who plan and calculate to execute a rape. So these ~crime prevention~ tactics may work against being raped by a stranger. But when the majority of rapes are committed by a friend or a family member it does fuck all to help them.

And my statistics are from the United States where I live, you're countering with statistics from the UK. The rates of rape in the US are much higher than the ones in the UK.

FBI reports consistently put the number of "unfounded" rape accusations around 8%.[8] However, "unfounded" is not synonymous with "false" allegation.[9] The largest study, published in 2005, was based on 2,643 sexual assault cases and found 3% of false reports.[10][11][12] A much criticized[13][14][15] 1994 study of 109 rape complaints made between 1978 and 1987 found 41% of false allegations.[16]
A 2006 review of studies of false reporting in the United States, New Zealand and the United Kingdom concluded:
"Two conclusions can be drawn from this review of literature on the prevalence of false rape allegations. First, many of the studies of false allegations have adopted unreliable or untested research methodologies and, so we cannot discern with any degree of certainty the actual rate of false allegations. A key component in judging the reliability of research in this area relates to the criteria used to judge an allegation to be false. Some studies use entirely unreliable criteria, while others provide only limited information on how rates are measured. The second conclusion that can be drawn from the research is that the police continue to misapply the no- crime or unfounding criteria and in so doing it would appear that some officers have fixed views and expectations about how genuine rape victims should react to their victimisation. The qualitative research also suggests that some officers continue to exhibit an unjustified scepticism of rape complainants, while others interpret such things as lack of evidence or complaint withdrawal as ‘‘proof’’ of a false allegation. Such findings suggest that there are inadequacies in police awareness of the dynamics and impact of sexual victimisation and this further reinforces the importance of training and education. However, the exact extent to which police officers incorrectly label allegations as false is difficult to discern."[14]

8% is a majority? Okkkk. Fire your stats teacher.

Edited by Mishelle, 26 July 2012 - 08:30 AM.

#196 Guest_coltom_*

Guest_coltom_*

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

Why do women always fall back on this. Well, it is a common enough defense mechanism. I know bad things happen to other, but they don't happen to me because:
1) God Loves me more than them, they must be bad for God to punish them so
2) All those others, the must have done something wrong, I will do nothing wrong,therefore I can live forever and never have it happen to me.
3)I can not stand the thought of it happening to me, therefore I will pretend that I am all powerful, that I am the sole master of my fate. I will it not to happen, therefore it will not. The Others, are just weak.

Shitty truth is, if you acknowledge a Creator, you know that bad things happen to good people, and good things happen to really bad people. Good people die, good people suffer, and it is not within our understand it is not within our control to not make them stop from happening. If you don't acknowledge a Creator, you'd think that it would be easier to acknowledge that bad things happen, but strangely I don't see that in practice.

If a woman is attacked, it is not a reflection upon her holiness, or her godness, or her genetic vigour, or any of that shit. Sometimes, it just means there are evil people that spend every waking day planning these terrible things, and we are ill adapted to be prepared.

Edited by coltom, 26 July 2012 - 09:02 AM.

#197 Suou

Suou
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

I'm going to admit up-front that I have a personal bias because I once had to kick a "good friend" in the face several times and run to keep his penis out of me.

Now to begin, how about we stop comparing people's bodies to objects? Mishelle already covered this, but it seems that nobody is honoring that request. Stealing an item involves taking away an object that can be replaced. It may disturb the victim of the theft, but it is impersonal and something that can be gotten over.

An anonymous guy described the effect of rape pretty well on an article submitted to The Escapist:

The experience of being raped has touched every aspect of my life. People like Ron Rosenberg, the PR head for Tomb Raider, tend to talk about rape like it’s some character-building challenge to overcome, a wound that heals into scar tissue, making you tougher. That’s a fundamental misunderstanding. Rape isn’t a scar, it’s a limp — you carry it with you as long as you’re alive, and it makes life harder, not easier. Being raped does change you: it’s more than non-consensual sex, it’s psychic murder. The person you were beforehand ceases to exist and you can never, ever be them again.

As I said, I managed to get out of an attempted rape. I did the thing that everyone tells every rape victim ever to do: I hit the guy until he lost his grip on me and I ran. And you know what? I didn't get a parade or even a cookie, I got more criticism.

To this day I wonder if I did the right thing by fighting back. I completely understand why someone wouldn't or couldn't fight back even if they're 100% sober (as I was at the time). That's because when you find yourself in a situation where you know that someone intends to rape you, there are two options: You can act the way you've been taught to act for your entire life (be passive, be sweet, be gentle, be quiet, don't argue), or you can break the rules you've always known. It's hard. Getting out the "Please stop, please stop touching me"s when he started undoing buttons and yanking off articles of clothing was easy, but after that? You're not taught what to do after that.

My roommate was the first person I told, and she informed me that I was a huge bitch for what I'd done. That's what the guy had said, too, yelling "You cold German bitch!" Others said I must've led him on, that kicking him in the face was excessive, that I should've done something earlier, that I should've had "intuition" that would tell me to avoid that situation, that I shouldn't have made friends with the guy.

Just what the hell does everyone want victims of rape or attempted rape to do? I followed all of the typical "rules to prevent rape" and they're utter horseshit. Didn't help me a damn bit.

If I were to revise the list, I'd only put one item on it: "Get lucky." That's what it takes to avoid rape. You have to get really fucking lucky.

We are not all equipped with "rape-dar." Rapists aren't typically a shady guy in the park at midnight preying on tiny, fit white girls with cute blonde hair. Rapists don't wear a big sticker that says "Hello I am a rapist." Rapists are your best friend, your neighbor, your parent, your priest, your friend's parent, your coworker, your boss, your teacher, your coach...

As for a punishment for rapists, that I don't know. I'm not good with punishments. As I said, I still feel somewhat guilty for kicking my would-be rapist in the face.

#198 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

I'm going to admit up-front that I have a personal bias because I once had to kick a "good friend" in the face several times and run to keep his penis out of me.

Now to begin, how about we stop comparing people's bodies to objects? Mishelle already covered this, but it seems that nobody is honoring that request. Stealing an item involves taking away an object that can be replaced. It may disturb the victim of the theft, but it is impersonal and something that can be gotten over.

An anonymous guy described the effect of rape pretty well on an article submitted to The Escapist:

As I said, I managed to get out of an attempted rape. I did the thing that everyone tells every rape victim ever to do: I hit the guy until he lost his grip on me and I ran. And you know what? I didn't get a parade or even a cookie, I got more criticism.

To this day I wonder if I did the right thing by fighting back. I completely understand why someone wouldn't or couldn't fight back even if they're 100% sober (as I was at the time). That's because when you find yourself in a situation where you know that someone intends to rape you, there are two options: You can act the way you've been taught to act for your entire life (be passive, be sweet, be gentle, be quiet, don't argue), or you can break the rules you've always known. It's hard. Getting out the "Please stop, please stop touching me"s when he started undoing buttons and yanking off articles of clothing was easy, but after that? You're not taught what to do after that.

My roommate was the first person I told, and she informed me that I was a huge bitch for what I'd done. That's what the guy had said, too, yelling "You cold German bitch!" Others said I must've led him on, that kicking him in the face was excessive, that I should've done something earlier, that I should've had "intuition" that would tell me to avoid that situation, that I shouldn't have made friends with the guy.

Just what the hell does everyone want victims of rape or attempted rape to do? I followed all of the typical "rules to prevent rape" and they're utter horseshit. Didn't help me a damn bit.

If I were to revise the list, I'd only put one item on it: "Get lucky." That's what it takes to avoid rape. You have to get really fucking lucky.

We are not all equipped with "rape-dar." Rapists aren't typically a shady guy in the park at midnight preying on tiny, fit white girls with cute blonde hair. Rapists don't wear a big sticker that says "Hello I am a rapist." Rapists are your best friend, your neighbor, your parent, your priest, your friend's parent, your coworker, your boss, your teacher, your coach...

As for a punishment for rapists, that I don't know. I'm not good with punishments. As I said, I still feel somewhat guilty for kicking my would-be rapist in the face.

Don't you dare feel guilty. You did what you had to do to protect yourself. It's self defense. Even if you had killed him in the process, you were doing what you had to do to protect yourself from harm, and you should NEVER feel guilty for protecting yourself. You should never let anyone else make you feel guilty. You did what you had to do, and you acted correctly. To the people who blamed you, tell them to FUCK OFF, and cut them out of your life. Those people are just sick, I'd love for THEM to have the experience you had and see how that affects their way of thinking. Kudos on being so brave and doing everything in your power to save yourself from further harm.

#199 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:43 PM

I don't understand how every conversation about rape always has to be diluted into "well she should've done this" (because lets be real, no one ever says that to men) or going back and forth about the unnecessary and abysmal number of false accusations.

Because false accusations wastes police time, money, resources and can target innocent victims with a serious crime which can taint their personal record for the rest of their lives. It also dilutes the serious rape claims and makes it harder for people to report their crimes and can over-complicate a serious matter with malicious intentions.

This happens every single time when I discuss rape and rape culture with people uneducated on the subject. It's starting to get ridiculous because people always end up losing sight of the real problem here. That there's millions of rape and sexual assault victims who aren't being helped and no one gives a shit to ask "what should we do about this?" "what can I do to help" because they're too busy arguing over bs statistics. Behind each statistic is a human being and everyone seems to lose sight of that.

You were the first person to bring up statistics in this thread, it's unfair to counter another's statistics if you cannot defend your own. You say people never seem to care, but this is a debate, on an internet forum. I think you are mixing logical thought with empathy and believing just because people are countering your argument that they don't care about victims. The main problem is, you aren't specifying what you think should be done to help.

The problem with this analogy is that people assume rape is a crime of opportunity. It is not. If someone sees a cellphone lying around they will take it because they have the opportunity to take it. But rape is a crime of violence and control. Most rape victims are raped by someone they know, an acquaintance or a family member who plan and calculate to execute a rape. So these ~crime prevention~ tactics may work against being raped by a stranger. But when the majority of rapes are committed by a friend or a family member it does fuck all to help them.

I completely agree that stranger rape is rare and the vast majority of rapists are family friends or partners. You are correct in saying crime prevention tactics won't work with rapes within families and relationships but what advice or suggestions are you offering? We've already suggested sociological and community efforts (schools, parents, clubs and policing tactics in engaging with men and boys about the serious of the issue), but you seem more focused on picking apart other issues.

Basically you are saying "No, that won't work", instead of "How about this?"

And my statistics are from the United States where I live, you're countering with statistics from the UK. The rates of rape in the US are much higher than the ones in the UK.

Correlation to population amounts. The US has more people living in its vast land than the whole of Europe. The stats are roughly equal in percentage, type and motive.

8% is a majority? Okkkk. Fire your stats teacher.

I think it's unfair that you claim we can't use statistics and then use one to back up your argument and trying to counter ours. Also, those statistics are mainly self-reporting ones and can't be used properly and effectively as they aren't monitored on an official basis. Plus it doesn't take into account claims of rape that are de-classified as sexual assaults. There is a huge difference between a sexual assault and rape when it comes down to this context.

After 8 years you'd think I know how to multi-quote one post by now :(

#200 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

Rape claims are already diluted. There's nothing false accusations can do to make people take rape victims any less seriously. That happens when a high profile man gets accused of rape. "Oh she's just lying she just wants his money" what happens when a person gets raped, like a poster already said "why didn't you see it coming? What did you do to stop it?" Our rape culture does more damage to society than the miniscule number of false allegations ever will. There's false allegations of theft, murder and many other crimes but for some reason people only really seem to care and bring it up when it comes to that. Do false accusations of theft and murder make police take these cases overall less seriously? I haven't noticed such, so why does this seem to solely apply to rape and sexual abuse?

I assumed this thread was made because people do care. Why would we make a thread on what to do with rapists if no one cares about the subject? I brought up statistics to emphasize a point but people seem to be hell bent on statistics to be the end all be all of proof.I. have done research in my reproductive rights course, working with organizations like rainn and take back the night, I even had a stint as a domestic and sexual abuse counsellor at my schools womens center. Im emotionally invsted in the subject and im proud of that. If you have a problem with it then I really don't care.

The US actually has a way higher percentage of rape if you factor in prison rape; miliary rape and child rape. Im on my phone so I can't link to articles but I will when I can. Our rate of prison rape is actually way higher than yours for both men and women. I never said people can't use statistics im trying to say that statistics are not the end all be all of a discussion. If a high percentage of rapes are occuring, but the amount of reporting goes up. That is a great thing. Im not trying to say that every disctrict abhors and mistreats rape victims. There are people who take it very seriously, but im saying these statistics don't change the cold hard facts that an unacceptable number of human beings are being raped and the majority of rapists are getting off. And I don't understand how rapes and sexual assaults are supposed to be vastly different. They're both attacks, they're both humiliating and an infringement on a persons human rights. They can both emotionally and physically scar a person for life. Why are they so different to you?

And please point out where I said everyone was wrong. The only people I've openly disagreed with are people who want to compare rape to stealing a computer. There are plenty of ways to combat rape and rape culture and I honestly haven't seen much discussion that isn't revenge driven. I even made various suggestions in my first post where I say to combat rape you have to start with the future generation. Adult men are already set in their ways and they have a very low chance at ever being rehabilitated. If you want to combat rape you have to talk to both boys and girls about rape, consent, options, and yes self defense. To defeat rape and sexual assaut you have to start by actually talking about it because its very taboo. There's a lot of shame and victim blaming when it comes to rape, people have to be educated about that before puberty. I have no idea where you're getting the idea that I think everyone is wrong.

We can also combat rape by eradicating ourselves of our patriarchal culture of masculinity. Our society is obsessed with manhood. What is manhood? How do you gain manhood? How do you lose manhood? When its an entirely socially constructed concept. When men are raped they're both physically assaulted and emotionally tortured at the prospect of losing their ability to be a man. They can take this out on themselves or on other people by being violent or even becoming rapists themselves. That is also contributed to victim blaming. Why didn't you fight back? Instead of saying "what can we do to help you?" There needs to be more avenues for victims to keep them mentally stable and from committing acts of rebellion from the emotional distress of dealing with a sexual assault with no emotional support. And I do think that rapists who by the grace of god manage to get convcted. They should be the ones with mandatory minimum sentencing not the nonviolent drug offenders clogging up our prisons and putting a huge drain on our taxes and resources. Wayyyyy more of a drain than false rape accusations. But that's another conversation for another time. I have plenty of ideas on how to curb and one day hopefully stop rape im not just trying to break balls I just get really fucking annoyed when people try to compare rape to theft because its very offensive and dehumanizing.

Edited by Mishelle, 27 July 2012 - 08:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users