Photo

What are your opinions on shoplifting?

• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

#176 Acheron

Acheron
  • 586 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:53 AM

I have only shoplifted once and it wasn't on purpose I swear! The basket was full and we placed the shampoo in the pram, reminding ourselves to take it out at the counter. Big surprise, we forgotten. Thankfully no alarms or beeping went off.

Anyway, I disapprove of shoplifting coz it is basically stealing. Most stores have CCTVs and such, my country being small, it's impossible to get away if you are caught on tape.

#177 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:41 AM

I used to shoplift often for candy and junk like that. I havent done it in a while. My opinion is its not worth the risk.

#178 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:13 AM

I would never do it. The consequences are just not worth that few bucks. A fine, time behind bars, bad mark in your profile. Is not worth it.

Who the fuck gets behind bars for shoplifting?

If I'm low on cash I might jack some shit from a convenient store, that's about it. I've seen friends steal so many times though, makes for a great laugh afterwards. Especially if on a certain recent occasion he only took a Dentyne fire package lol

#179 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:45 AM

Many people I know today have recently gotten into the habit of shoplifting...including myself, on a mere hand full of occasions. When I do it's usually things like over-priced make-up and such. (I'm not paying 15$ for a small bottle of foundation....HELL NAH!)

Or even because the line was too long and we're too lazy to wait ten minutes to pay, or the items were really cheap and small enough to hide anyways.

But i've been witness to it hundreds of times, and I just wanted to know what you guys think of it.

Another popular thing the kids are into are doing returns. This is where they'll steal a few expensive items (flashlights, fishing reels) and do a return to get wal-mart credit, and then go buy things like cigarettes.

Have you ever shoplifted? Would you?
Are you afraid of the consequences, or do you just think it's below you?

I'm very eager to hear what other people think about this since even if i'm not involved, it's pretty much incorporated into my life every day...

I've shoplifted before, and no nobody is really afraid of the consequences while they are doing it...just until a big store cop comes and asks you to open your pockets and etc

#180 SatansCamaro

SatansCamaro
  • 553 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:45 PM

In my eyes, shoplifting is not worth it. Of course, having a job and nothing that I really have to pay for helps a lot. Such as a needy GF. Just dumped the last one.:devil:

#181 Dichromate

Dichromate
  • 277 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:53 PM

If you're free, it's free. If you're fined, it ain't free.

If at the end of a one-month stint, a criminal finds it profitable, then who are we to naysay?

#182 Lychee

Lychee
  • 633 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:00 PM

If you're free, it's free. If you're fined, it ain't free.

If at the end of a one-month stint, a criminal finds it profitable, then who are we to naysay?

Well, if you were one of the unlucky businesses who didn't catch said criminal and get compensated for your loss, I'd say you've got an excuse to naysay all you want. Especially if it results in your boss yelling at you or worse.

#183 Dichromate

Dichromate
  • 277 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:04 PM

Well, if you were one of the unlucky businesses who didn't catch said criminal and get compensated for your loss, I'd say you've got an excuse to naysay all you want. Especially if it results in your boss yelling at you or worse.

Was addressing TS's question - it wouldn't be a bad career for some, if you're confident you'll never get caught.

Incidentally I shoplifted a box of crayons when I was like, eight. Silliest decision I ever made, and I feel kinda sorry for the lady now.
Her shop wasn't doing well too. :|
I din't even really need those crayons, just stole it with my friends for the lulz.

Edited by patapon, 21 December 2010 - 01:04 PM.

#184 banshee2

banshee2
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:39 AM

I'm not big into retail employment, but don't the paychecks of the blue collars @ walmart and whatnot suffer from this stuff?

In the general sense, whatever hurts myself I'm big on *lol*...but if others get caught up for my doings, I feel a little bad :|

Haven't shoplifted since I was like 10...and I only did it once or twice.

Nowawdays:
1) It's too much effort for items with minimal value
2) I hate it when employees carry their stereotypical values and prejudice around with them as they're hiding 5 ft away from me in wait as I hover over the 5 cent sour patch kiddies

and what's up with the "oh they do it too, so why can't I" responses...I know neopets is a kids game but that doesn't mean you need a childlike mind to play, amiright?

Haven't been on in a long while...and now looking at my post count..either I'm on the wrong account
or the mods have been doing a good cleaning of the forum since...2005 0_0

Edited by banshee2, 22 December 2010 - 09:40 AM.

#185 vrtx

vrtx
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:07 PM

Thinking most of you guys are feeding off each other, trying to come across as cool or bad ass for stealing from stores. E-thuggery at its finest.

While I don't believe in evil or good as universal ideas, they do serve a purpose in the context of ensuring societal harmony. Basic social contract theory really.
Shoplifting has to be seen as wrong by society and needs to be enforced by laws, if not we would be living in a world where everyone is pillaging, killing and raping. Also, as others have mentioned, stealing does indeed affect the "little guy" in more ways than you can imagine. Not only that, companies usually increase their prices in order to make up for shrink.

So on behalf of everyone who actually pay for stuff they need, and save money for things they want or desire: F*** You!

Also don't give me the bs about financial barriers (ie: not being able to get off a base to find a job), I know a few people who are completely down on their luck, battling with health issues and living extremely hard lives, unable to find jobs. These people don't even steal.

#186 Ment0r

Ment0r
  • 137 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:17 PM

I haven't read this whole thread, but here's my opinion:

Shoplifting from chain stores like Wal-Mart or the like is PERFECTLY FINE!!! They make just as much, if not MORE from insurance claims then if it had been sold rather then stolen. Plus, these corporations are the reason most small business owners don't stand a chance these days (with start-ups)... Yeah some long standing local businesses that have a proven track record and repeat customers aren't affected AS MUCH by large corporations, but it still hurts the economy as a whole to have these mega-giant corps running around trying to monopolize the industry.

Shoplifting from small family owned businesses is just wrong in every sense. You aren't stealing from a corporation that pays their executives 7 figures... you are stealing money that pays for a family's food. I couldn't bring myself to steal from a small business, ever.

#187 fxckyouguys

fxckyouguys
  • 836 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:48 PM

Thinking most of you guys are feeding off each other, trying to come across as cool or bad ass for stealing from stores. E-thuggery at its finest.

While I don't believe in evil or good as universal ideas, they do serve a purpose in the context of ensuring societal harmony. Basic social contract theory really.
Shoplifting has to be seen as wrong by society and needs to be enforced by laws, if not we would be living in a world where everyone is pillaging, killing and raping. Also, as others have mentioned, stealing does indeed affect the "little guy" in more ways than you can imagine. Not only that, companies usually increase their prices in order to make up for shrink.

So on behalf of everyone who actually pay for stuff they need, and save money for things they want or desire: F*** You!

Also don't give me the bs about financial barriers (ie: not being able to get off a base to find a job), I know a few people who are completely down on their luck, battling with health issues and living extremely hard lives, unable to find jobs. These people don't even steal.

..so? There's people that are sick and dying and can't get a job and do steal. The people you're talking about obviously have better morals than I do, since it doesn't bother me if I hurt people in the process of doing this. Boo flippin' hoo.

(I'm not trying to justify at all why I steal, just sayin', I can't get a job where I live, that's why I steal. Never said because I can't get a job stealing was "right.") ;)

#188 vrtx

vrtx
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:53 PM

The people you're talking about obviously have better morals than I do, since it doesn't bother me if I hurt people in the process of doing this. Boo flippin' hoo.

You keep saying this in almost every post. I honestly don't believe you and I think you're just some kid who is trying to get attention on the internet.

#189 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:02 PM

I used to steal handfulls of candy from the plastic bins in grocery stores >__>

#190 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:38 PM

I used to steal handfulls of candy from the plastic bins in grocery stores >__>

Lol i emptied containers of candy (wrapped) into my bag before..
record was like 60-70 bucks worth of candy.

#191 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:05 PM

Wow, pretty much everyone steals, shoplifting is just a more defined view of it. Every time you download music, or stream a movie, or share/crack software, hell even if you lend someone a book, you're stealing from people by not giving them the money they deserve in exchange. When I was a kid, I'd grab a packet of bubble gum, never got caught, I guess I was way below anyone's line of sight. Definitely wouldn't risk shoplifting now though. You just never know where some tag is hidden ;) Seriously though people, don't do it, it'll go on your permanent record.

#192 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:10 PM

I don't shoplift because of the real chance of being caught. If I had no chance of being caught (sorta like downloading movies/music) then I'd do it. Plain and simple.

#193 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:16 PM

When I first read this title I thought "shoplifting" was "shapeshifting" xDI was like, lolwut?

#194 Turtleboy

Turtleboy
  • 424 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:18 PM

Wow, pretty much everyone steals, shoplifting is just a more defined view of it. Every time you download music, or stream a movie, or share/crack software, hell even if you lend someone a book, you're stealing from people by not giving them the money they deserve in exchange. When I was a kid, I'd grab a packet of bubble gum, never got caught, I guess I was way below anyone's line of sight. Definitely wouldn't risk shoplifting now though. You just never know where some tag is hidden ;) Seriously though people, don't do it, it'll go on your permanent record.

I feel like shoplifting actually hurts somebody. People are trying to make a living but if you steal, somebody ultimately has to pay for the item you stole.

I view downloading/streaming music differently. The music was already out there and nobody is paying a price if you listen/download it. The artists didn't really have to pay a price to create the music anyways so in that sense - it's harmless (or less harmful)

#195 nothereorthere

nothereorthere
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:25 PM

its bad don't do it

#196 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:46 PM

With regards to downloading tv/films/music... if I didn't download it for free, I wouldn't buy it anyway.
Therefore, there's no loss of profit at all, and accordingly, it can't possibly be classified as theft.

#197 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:02 AM

With regards to downloading tv/films/music... if I didn't download it for free, I wouldn't buy it anyway.
Therefore, there's no loss of profit at all, and accordingly, it can't possibly be classified as theft.

You're both wrong and right.

Under the Theft act 1968, theft is defined as "A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to
another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and ‘theft’ and ‘steal’
shall be construed accordingly".

So, you're correct as it isn't defined as theft but would like come under acts regarding priacy.

#198 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:09 AM

So, you're correct as it isn't defined as theft but would like come under acts regarding priacy.

The law doesn't necessarily define what is right and what is wrong :p

#199 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:11 AM

You're both wrong and right.

Under the Theft act 1968, theft is defined as "A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to
another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and ‘theft’ and ‘steal’
shall be construed accordingly".

Here. This song will prove you wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeTybKL1pM4

#200 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:18 AM

Here. This song will prove you wrong.

Maybe you can't read, but Lee quoted that ruling as evidence that piracy isn't a form of theft.
Isn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users