Isla Vista Shooting

• Please log in to reply
394 replies to this topic

#201 iomega

iomega
  • 1070 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:00 PM

If we're talking about Tables 2.1 and 2.2 it's more helpful to look at the column for lifetime prevalence, considering the 12 month column doesn't list rape statistics for male victims.

18.3% of women and 1.1% of men are raped over their lifetimes. So that settles that.

Are you telling me you don't believe that forced penetration is rape? Because by their definition, it isn't.
The reason I used the 12 month column is because there simply isn't enough data for proper lifetime male rape (and forced penetration) statistics.
Men are something like 3 times less likely to report a rape and even when they do it has to fit the definition of a rape which doesn't include forced penetration.

Equality. That's what feminism is about.

Feminism is the empowerment of women. Egalitarianism is equality.

#202 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:02 PM

Was my sarcasm not witty enough?

No, try harder. :p

#203 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:03 PM

I just wanted to throw out there that I only ever walk down the street to my dad's and to the post office. I would never walk any further than that without another adult with me, or even walk that far if I thought my dad wasn't home. The only reason I still skygaze at night is because if I could die watching the stars, I'd die happy.

Remember when we wanted to watch the stars together but I had to go inside because I was scared of axe murderers? #YesAllWomen

#204 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

Remember when we wanted to watch the stars together but I had to go inside because I was scared of axe murderers? #YesAllWomen

I'm not drunk enough to go look that hashtag up on twitter yet. #yolo ruined me

#205 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

I'm really starting to think life is just very different in the UK. That quote in the Time article about regularly finding girls who had been roofie'd and left passed out...can you imagine that just being an accepted way of life at a university here? There would be outrage and people calling for someone's head. I've spent basically my whole life feeling respected and cherished by the men I know, have never thought that anyone felt entitled to my body, I've never felt scared just for being a woman, I work for equal pay in equal conditions.......it's not entirely equal ops because yeah, I have on occasion probably benefited from being a woman but I really just can't think of occasions where I've really suffered or been put down or felt victimised or scared by a man, because I'm a woman.

I am glad that you've had such great experiences Ali, but the stats speak otherwise.

You're oppressed, you just haven't been enlightened yet. I'm sure if you looked or thought very hard you could come up with some way that a man oppressed you at some point in your life.All you need to do is dream up a hypothetical situation where you're scared, or hurt, or upset, and then irrationally blame it on men.

It's at that point that you complete your indoctrination programme and can proceed to achieving complete insanity (a couple of the social-justice drones in this thread will give you the run down, I'm sure)

On a serious note though, yes, I think things are great here in the UK. As I said in an earlier post, pay, rights, sexual assaults etc are all mostly equal.

And we managed to get here without alienating an entire gender. Bravo.

#206 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:11 PM

If you had total control over the world, how would you solve the "patriarchy" problem?

Does total control include mutant superpowers? I think it would be kind of neat to be able to have people swap bodies for a day. I mean, we all think the other person is being ridiculous, but we're only sharing what we've seen firsthand. If every person were able to see the world through the eyes of someone living a completely different life, seeing the little gestures made, the different looks given, the tone of voice spoken to, I think that would help a lot of people understand what all the bitching and complaining is about.

Have you ever had a store call for a security scan when you've entered the store? Have you ever had a car pull up to you and the gentleman inside stick his head out to ask how much for a blow job? Have you ever had a woman near you grasp her purse closer to her once she saw you? Has a man tried to stab you in an alleyway? Have you ever been called a racial slur with venomous connotation?

I think once people truly understand what that different person goes through everyday, then people would have a little more empathy and understanding instead of just trying to brush off someone's concerns, talk about how their own struggles are more valid or suggest others are simply lying.

I don't feel safe walking around at work, is this male domination?

It is. You're dressed as a policeman when you're at work. A man who would wish to harm you has a different reason from a man who would wish to harm a petite female, but I think that struggle for power or control stems from the same barbaric place.

#207 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:15 PM

It is. You're dressed as a policeman when you're at work. A man who would wish to harm you has a different reason from a man who would wish to harm a petite female, but I think that struggle for power or control stems from the same barbaric place.

What about the woman who stabbed me then? Was she part of male domination? Or was I dominating her?

#208 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:17 PM

Are you telling me you don't believe that forced penetration is rape? Because by their definition, it isn't.
The reason I used the 12 month column is because there simply isn't enough data for proper lifetime male rape (and forced penetration) statistics.
Men are something like 3 times less likely to report a rape and even when they do it has to fit the definition of a rape which doesn't include forced penetration.

I haven't read the entire report, but I'd imagine it's defined/recorded differently enough from rape for them to be considered distinct, especially considering the fact that the authors went out of their was to keep them separate. In any case, forced penetration and rape are both huge problems that need to be combated in their own ways.

Feminism is the empowerment of women. Egalitarianism is equality.

The notion that those two concepts are mutually exclusive is a common misconception. Wikipedia:

Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, cultural, and social rights for women.[1][2] This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. A feminist advocates or supports the rights and equality of women.[3]

Feminism is the empowerment of women in the interest of equality.

#209 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

I am glad that you've had such great experiences Ali, but the stats speak otherwise.

You're oppressed, you just haven't been enlightened yet. I'm sure if you looked or thought very hard you could come up with some way that a man oppressed you at some point in your life.All you need to do is dream up a hypothetical situation where you're scared, or hurt, or upset, and then irrationally blame it on men.
It's at that point that you complete your indoctrination programme and can proceed to achieving complete insanity (a couple of the social-justice drones in this thread will give you the run down, I'm sure)

*vomit noises*

#210 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

What about the woman who stabbed me then? Was she part of male domination? Or was I dominating her?

I don't know the circumstances. Did she write a 141 page manifesto about her life, concluding it with how she was going to make every cop suffer?

#211 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

*vomit noises*

I feel the same way about it.

I don't know the circumstances. Did she write a 141 page manifesto about her life, concluding it with how she was going to make every cop suffer?

Do the actions of one insane person reflect that of the majority?

#212 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:32 PM

I feel the same way about it.

Do the actions of one insane person reflect that of the majority?

tumblr_n63tyhQx6q1t8jgtoo7_r1_1280.png

tumblr_n63tyhQx6q1t8jgtoo1_500.png

tumblr_n63tyhQx6q1t8jgtoo2_r1_500.png

tumblr_n63tyhQx6q1t8jgtoo3_r1_500.png

tumblr_n63tyhQx6q1t8jgtoo4_r1_1280.png

tumblr_n63tyhQx6q1t8jgtoo5_r1_1280.png

tumblr_n63tyhQx6q1t8jgtoo6_r1_400.png

#213 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:37 PM

<snip>

944IW.png

944KB.png

944M2.png

Ht5pvrz.jpg

And more to the original point:

944SL.png

We can both pull hate speech from whatever mediums you like. Funnily enough, what people post on social networks usually isn't representative of their actual thoughts or feelings.

#214 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:40 PM

Today I'm mostly feeling sorry for the poor girl who has had her name and photo splashed all over the papers as being the "reason" he felt this way.

#215 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

And more to the original point:

We can both pull hate speech from whatever mediums you like. Funnily enough, what people post on social networks usually isn't representative of their actual thoughts or feelings.

The difference is, the caps you posted were (distasteful) jokes while the ones I posted were people sympathizing with a mass killer. The last time I checked, no woman has written a 100 page manifesto on how being rejected by men has set her on a mission to kill all men. Not to mention doing so and attempting to go through with it.

#216 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:44 PM

The difference is, the caps you posted were (distasteful) jokes while the ones I posted were people sympathizing with a mass killer. The last time I checked, no woman has written a 100 page manifesto on how being rejected by men has set her on a mission to kill all men. Not to mention doing so and attempting to go through with it.

Give me time. I've got a full-time job, I'm only on page 40.

#217 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

The last time I checked, no woman has written a 100 page manifesto on how being rejected by men has set her on a mission to kill all men. Not to mention doing so and attempting to go through with it.

And only 1 man has out of over 3.5+ billion (not including the billions who have lived before the current population who also haven't done that).

#218 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:53 PM

Ok, so all of my examples were joking but all of yours were completely serious . :rofl:

Oh, and you want an example of a woman who has gone out to specifically kill a number of men? 

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-25669206

If only she'd written an eloquently put manifesto so that men everywhere could use it as an argument for ... well, everything I guess.

#219 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

And only 1 man has out of over 3.5+ billion (not including the billions who have lived before the current population who also haven't done that).

Yes, but in the immediate aftermath of such an event, echoing the killer's beliefs is particularly disturbing.

#220 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

Yes, but in the immediate aftermath of such an event, echoing the killer's beliefs is particularly disturbing.

Of course it is but, given that this is the internet, how many of those posts do you think were absolutely serious and not just trolling for effect?

#221 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

As if this recent murderer was the only one to write a long rambling manifesto before killing many people..

#222 iomega

iomega
  • 1070 posts

Users Awards

wow...

#223 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Of course it is but, given that this is the internet, how many of those posts do you think were absolutely serious and not just trolling for effect?

The original video was just some dumb virgin trolling.

#224 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:04 PM

The original video was just some dumb virgin trolling.

Well it was a dumb virgin who happened to be mentally unstable and own several guns. If it was all about women I'd imagine half of the victims wouldn't be male.

#225 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

Ok, so all of my examples were joking but all of yours were completely serious . :rofl:

Oh, and you want an example of a woman who has gone out to specifically kill a number of men? 

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-25669206

If only she'd written an eloquently put manifesto so that men everywhere could use it as an argument for ... well, everything I guess.

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to prove, but there are far more men who have serial killed, both in general and for sexual- or gender- related reasons.

Even so, I would be shocked to see the same type of comments if a woman committed the same type of mass murder. They'd probably be about her appearance, instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users